Ageism

• Thread starter DeletedUser6695
  • Start date

DeletedUser3312

Wait? What? I think it's safe to assume he hadn't experienced EMA judging from his posts and the way they were written which makes his argument just as "weak" as mine in terms of experience. Considering nearly everybody in the thread was against him (including people who have ACTUALLY experienced) I really doubt he knew exactly what he was talking about in the debate anyway. FYI, I would experience it if it wasn't being shut down - could be an "experience" ?

Radarr, all you can do is assume, and tbh... After a mod closed your ridiculous attention seeking thread you continue to carry it on here. Now I don't think I'm wrong in saying this is very child-like behavior. You want to be treated like an adult, ACT LIKE ONE!

Btw, I'm going to choose to ignore you again. Had enough, this is over 3 threads now.

Ageism, is a delicate subject. Now although I'm completely against all aspects of ageism especially in the workplace, I know people use excuses like this and more often or not racism to get their own way, or to try to get the other party in trouble. Though, this isn't a regular thing in ageism but it's quite popular in racism. You often find people complaining that they didn't get a specific job for the 'colour of their skin' etc. etc. and these things often end up in court.

After some thinking, I can't actually see anyway of getting around these sort of problems, and I think this is really unfair. Nobody likes being called a racist, or anything like that; but the defending party can't do anything but stand their ground. There are no rules to stop accuses falsely accusing, yet there are plenty of consequences for the defender when they're actually caught red-handed.

In my opinion, the government should come down harder on the accusers blatantly in the wrong! But that's my opinion.
Feel free to debate it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser282

I think I'm one to speak on Ageism.
Everyone knows me (almost), and I'm 14, many people say I'm 12 or less.
Most of what I say gets disregarded because everyone knows my age - and I don't really care now.

People listened to me when they knew I was your age. I think it's just your personality.

Ageism is a strange thing, in some cases it is just stupid. However I think that most people would accept that if governments were run by 9 year olds the world might not work too well.

If the age, or lack thereof, is likely to determine experience in the field of the debate then I would say that the whose age group has more experience of the issue is likely to have a higher probability of being correct. However I would think that this only really applies to specific things, such as EMA, someone who has been through that is more likely to be able to give a better view of it than someone who hasn't, though that doesn't mean that the person who has been through it should feel that they are the God of that thread :|
Rather than general things like, someone has experienced life longer and so they are more likely to understand the "meaning of life"

General exceptions to this would be the very young and the very old, with a much greater emphasis on the very young, as their minds aren't fully developed and they have very limited experience of anything. In the case of the very old, their minds are no longer as functional as they once were and so it is reasonable to accept that on average a 30 year old is more likely to be correct in a debate than a 90 year old.
That would be my views on ageism within a debate/discussion of some kind.

In a workplace it is very reasonable to expect teenagers to be less capable workers than adults, simply because, on average, we are. This seems perfectly fair to me, if rather annoying.

DeletedUser

In the case of the very old, their minds are no longer as functional as they once were and so it is reasonable to accept that on average a 30 year old is more likely to be correct in a debate than a 90 year old.
Well sonny, back in 1965 when the war was raging on and them 'congs were just swarming at us, and they didn't fall with 1 bullet like in 'dem fancy Call of Duty crap you young'uns play nowadays, they kept crawling on towards our fronts.

*On a slightly more serious note: That isn't because the 90 are necessarily demented, it's because the times are changing so rapidly right now that the old people cant keep up.

In a workplace it is very reasonable to expect teenagers to be less capable workers than adults, simply because, on average, we are. This seems perfectly fair to me, if rather annoying.
Stacking boxes is hard work without experience earned throughout the years, I agree. Also; nothing gets you working worse than a dose of enthusiasm when experiencing something new.

If the age, or lack thereof, is likely to determine experience in the field of the debate then I would say that the whose age group has more experience of the issue is likely to have a higher probability of being correct.
So personal experience isn't correct when used in debate?

DeletedUser282

Well sonny, back in 1965 when the war was raging on and them 'congs were just swarming at us, and they didn't fall with 1 bullet like in 'dem fancy Call of Duty crap you young'uns play nowadays, they kept crawling on towards our fronts.

*On a slightly more serious note: That isn't because the 90 are necessarily demented, it's because the times are changing so rapidly right now that the old people cant keep up.

Stacking boxes is hard work without experience earned throughout the years, I agree. Also; nothing gets you working worse than a dose of enthusiasm when experiencing something new.

So personal experience isn't correct when used in debate?

I didn't suggest that 90 year olds are demented I simply stated that there brain functionality of less than that of a younger person which, unless I'm much mistaken, is true.

On average the teenager worker is less likely to be as efficient as an older worker, so I can accept this ageism in the workplace. Say you have two types of machines, one is more efficient than the other on average however their are some exceptions. Most people would pick the type that is more efficient.

I don't understand your final point, my statement there states that if someone age or lack thereof means this person is likely to have more personal experience in the subject, then they have a greater chance of being correct than someone in an age range where they are likely to have less personal experience. So my point was basically the inverse of what you seem to have taken from it.

DeletedUser

That reply was quite convoluted, I first went for a troll approach but then switched mid-reply to more serious.

I didn't suggest that 90 year olds are demented I simply stated that there brain functionality of less than that of a younger person which, unless I'm much mistaken, is true.
Your wording made it seem like every old person has Alzheimer's disease, which is hardly true. You're claiming that the old people have a smaller chance of being correct in something because of weaker brain functionality. Unless they are experiencing from some sort of dementia I'm perfectly sure they are fully capable of remembering some of the events in their life to draw personal experience from and base their argument on that.

That brings us to my next point I argued upon: personal experience. The world is changing quite rapidly and a person who worked on the field 10-20 years ago may find the environment completely different, so personal experience isn't necessarily correct. Besides that the things people experience on the same field of work can vary greatly.

And the last point: You claim the young worker is much less efficient than the older one, you state it as a fact yet bring no proof to support your claim. I brought up the enthusiasm and interest the young worker may feel towards a subject/field of work he chose himself.

DeletedUser282

You're claiming that the old people have a smaller chance of being correct in something because of weaker brain functionality.

If experience, which I believe I stated was the main factor, is equal then I believe that someone with weaker brain functionality is less likely to be correct in a debate.

Well obviously if the field has changed over 20 years then the experience is different, this is really experience of the same thing, it is experience of something that is now out of date.

So older people can't be enthusiastic or interested in things?