Discussion- Running a Tribe.

DeletedUser

Bleh forums can be pretty boring these days so thought I'd try my best to bring some decent discussion into uk8.

So what would be your personal prefrence on how a tribe should be ran?

Dictatorship? V Democracy?

Should there be one person that makes all the decisions and have advisors for exapmle....or should the members of the tribe be involved in most if not all of the decision making? <<< In terms of things like Alliances/Naps, Invitations, Wars e.t.c

How do you keep your tribe active, not just in game but in forums or is Skype a better option rather than forum activity?

Would you rather your tribe had a 'kill all' policy or some alliances or naps....or even hug your way around the world?

What type of people do you recruit? - Is it a Premade, randomly made ingame or a few friends who want to lead together? <Not asking you to tell me how your tribe was made, more tell us what you would prefer, and obv course the fact that as time goes on you may want to recruit as people quit/leave e.t.c

I'm basicly asking what your perfect tribe would be.............if there is such a thing!

These are just examples of things to discuss, more than welcome to bring in your own views on how tribes should be ran.

DeletedUser7025

I think it very much depends on the communication skills of the leader and the respect they generate within the team. Take Ruffus for example. He is very firm but folk listen because he has a demonstrable record in high achieving tribe starts.

If a tribe structure is too wooly and based on consensus it falls apart in my experience. On balance i would therefore prefer to be dictated to but only if I think the dictator is worth his or her salt. I like to hook up with people i know on each world and many tribe have a strong historical link with eachother. the sad thing is if you keep starting with the same peeps, you never ge to fight them :lol:

Tribe comms needs skype without a doubt. Tribe forum is antiquated and too slow. With skype you can ask for and get support off quickly and get valuable information on opponents fed in instanty. The danger is non skype users can feel isolated so regualrish tribe update circs are a good thing. the best way to keep folks active is to dismiss them if theyre not :lol:

As for diplomacy it has to be minimal in my opinion. In our K some of the tribes have multiple Naps and allies. I like my target options to be more open but I think its important to have one good ally who you can count on.

Just my two penneth

DeletedUser

Hmm I prefer one or at the most two leaders, usually means quicker decisions however for the short time I was in GOLD on uk6 I liked the idea of putting possible recruitment to the tribe to vote/comment on

I don't know many people in tw so usually start out solo and look for a tribe, which happens to be going badly for me on .net atm, so a premade even if only a small number would be nice, noob gangbangs are getting tedious...

I use skype but generally not tribal chats as the spam gets too much

Maybe one ally if at all, no naps or any other rubbish just red dots thanks :)

If this sounds like your tribe, giz a invite lol

DeletedUser1410

Most of the tribes I've ran have had very little dip at start up I don't see the need, I like the idea of saying jump and the tribe does it but I only do this when I feel the need to as most 90% of members know the game and know what they should be doing.
the other 10% will get help always as there are some members that will need the help.

Skype to me is a must and on W8 is part of the invite procedure, but thats just me,

Perfect tribe?

Number of old friends that have played together before, with a few new members that you have played against or know they game play is sound, with 10% or so new members to the game.

I always try to get new players into my tribes to bring them on and help them play the game better

DeletedUser9129

I personally think all the major decisions should be made by a few leaders. 2-5 imo. However I think all of the tribe members should have an input and a say in it all. You don't want to make any members unhappy, but it is hard to keep them all happy!

Skype is definatly a must, it helps make bonds in the tribe and that helps a lot in the later game.

A kill-all policy can be good if you are much better and much larger than everybody else (for example in W53 I am in Drama! and we have had a kill all policy all through the game and we are about 40mil points ahead of the tribe in 2nd place) but generally I think it would just do more damage to yourself than you need. Picking off one at a time is a lot easier, isn't it :icon_wink:

For recruiting I would say that premades are good and to create a strong tribe it is definatly needed. In game recruiting as you go is definatly the best recruiting though because you can see the stronger players in all the stages. (Early, mid and late game).

DeletedUser5582

Benign despot is only way to run a tribe I think and not sure you can have more than one true leader (though not sure you need a badge to say "I am big fromage" to lead either as folks will follow those they respect not those that say I am Duke/baron do this). Have seen players with no "job" in the tribal hierarchy wield way more influence than nominal barons due to their experience and eagerness to help those that ask. Tribal councils? Not sure they can work as by the time they all online the opportunity has normally gone plus how much time spent debating rather than clicking!

You need all types to have a "perfect" tribe as well. Yes you need the skilled players but you also need the cogs and wheels that keep the whole group moving (the ones that always support, take the sits and enjoy the game) which I think way more important (overall) than the uber (flicks hair) player. The skilled players need folks to teach (helps their egos!!!) but also makes the game more fun for them as they see their protégées flourish or they tend to get bored and leave.

Activity? Is hard to say but think a decent world setting helps (fighting settings not barb munching/hugs) as lol how can you be bored when eating red dots? Though you do also need decent opponents or again what is point (log on, launch, think of new villa name, log off equals dull). A tribe needs fun and that comes from the leadership and also from its members allowed to express themselves and have fun or again why on earth would you log on but it also needs fun opponents to fight with the banter flying as thick as the spear nukes or folks get bored?

Who do you recruit? Lol impossible to say as how do you really know who you are recruiting and if you always play with same folks then will become stale. So you need to look for these types!

1. Benign Despot as Duke/duchess. Easy going but with knows when to be firm (but fair). Must have a sense of humour, an eye for detail and be a people person and most importantly put others before him/herself. Needs to be a decent player too. Oddly becomes less important as the game moves on but pivotal in early to mid stages of the game.

2. Your uber (flicks hair) player. Not more than one but you do need one. The true ones are very rare beasts indeed (no need for the "pro" start up player here ty) as yours needs to enjoy sharing their tricks and skills and can put up with helping others (lol see why I said rare but they do exist don;t fret!)

3. Your experienced players. probably refuse to be barons but secretly are more baronial without the badge. They are the ones that post the world weary comments as seen it and done it but folk listen when they speak. Wealth of knowledge and the backbone of your tribe.

4. The keen as mustard newbies. Log on all the time and eager to help and if treated well and kindly will grow into the workhorses of your tribe. Yes will need a lot of time invested in them but can pay huge dividends in the long term.

5. The fool. Useless at TW but makes everyone smile and keeps you going when times are tough. Too many and your tribe will become the joke but one or two is a must.

6. The Grafters. Usually silent till mailed for support when you get back "one def sent" and no more the support will arrive on time. Steady growth they are what helps you tribe climb the rankings (which at end of the day is all that matters)

If you had all the above would it be the perfect tribe? Am not sure but think you wouldn't be too far away!

Oh you also need a catchy tag like there is no "I" in tribe :)lol:)

DeletedUser7369

5. The fool. Useless at TW but makes everyone smile and keeps you going when times are tough. Too many and your tribe will become the joke but one or two is a must

skillz, me, woody, stoke, leo, and nibbler. I sense WKD may be a joke :icon_confused:

DeletedUser7025

skillz, me, woody, stoke, leo, and nibbler. I sense WKD may be a joke :icon_confused:

take me out of there JP, im a flicky hair sort of guy with baronial skillz that im not prepared to share.

Jo - you post is spot on and most eloquent. Let me know where you're going when W9 starts and i can offload all these stale pieces of furniture ive gathered over the worlds :lol:

DeletedUser8897

this server needs more dukes with quality to take tribes past the 4 month period without crumbling, so stick your dictatorships up your nose and lets see some education in leadership getting handed on by way of democracies...because these servers are that tiny in comparison to .net its becoming a joke. everyone turns huggers and tbh..dictators are highly to blame for that imo...especially when there mates are the dictator duke of a neighboring tribe...the huggs then spread more and more...just look at when tribes are beaten in wars here...the tribe that failed joins the tribe that won.... bunch of softulese too scared to loose their villas...they cling onto them like its a puppy or kitten.

these uk servers are too small for a great dictatorship to work how it should, so a democracy is the best way to stop a one eyed dictator from hugging their mates in other tribes...because lets face it..uk seems to be the place to socialize instead of war...oops N/B just kicked in :lol: time for nighnies...bahahaha........soft

DeletedUser

these uk servers are too small for a great dictatorship to work how it should, so a democracy is the best way to stop a one eyed dictator from hugging their mates in other tribes...because lets face it..uk seems to be the place to socialize instead of war...oops N/B just kicked in :lol: time for nighnies...bahahaha........soft

OF COURSE THESE SERVERS ARE SMALL IN COMPARISON.... what the hell you expect, the .net server is the international server. we are a small country server, if size is all that matters to you rather than what you do with it and talent I think your in the wrong place. WE at .uk have some amazing players. If your that great in comparison I suggest you prove your worth rather than shooting your mouth. I'm the first person to love a good debate or even enjoy being flamed, but to come here and globally insult everyone here reflects your personality rather than ours.

If I interpreted that wrong I apologise in advance. However if i didn't I suggest you DO ONE back to another uber server where your elite smezyness means something cos if your trying to gain rep here with an attitude like that it aint gonna work!

DeletedUser5175

ah Darth lives to 'stimulate discussion' ;) don't take him personally Mark, he does have a point certainly if you read what he says and avoid the calculated language (part of the Darth personna) he's saying that because the server is small we should teach leadership more as Tutor attempted to teach noobs on w7, teaching leadership on these server would help the variety of the game play, I think he's proposing that democracies are the best way to pass on and develop leadership qualities because they are a good forum for introducing people to the decisions, repercussions and responsibilities that come with leadership and that on a small server having the same Dukes running the same tribes, failing on one world then moving to the next with the same alliances and repeating their huggling mistakes is not encouraging varied leadership and in turn varied politics and gameplay.

- Note im not talking about our established dukes no one would call Ruffus a huggler and we do have a few quality leaders here, but scratch beneath the surface and we also have some bad bad leaders im looking at tribes like =S.A= and monkeys - to be honest im fed up with tribes like that over for too many servers they have been huggling and failing and then simply moving on to the next world to repeat without ever learning from their mistakes and improving.

My experience of duking is old now not many will remember the tribe I led on w2, though we did OK, top 5 is nothing special, it was my first experience of leading on my second world as a player it was set up in game I had no TW leadership experience but I gathered a lot from running the tribe, I found that you need someone to make the decisions so in that respect we were a dictatorship but also I learned so much from my council and I encouraged them to take full responsibility in their areas so the diplomat made the diplomacy, the recruiter recruited etc. But we always discussed, the duke was there to weigh up the advice and to make a call if the advice was mixed. I really enjoyed that and it was a fun tribe to be in.

So Meechan for me a dictatorship with a strong council that knows what it is responsible for and isn't interfered with this allows people to gain experience whilst still retaining the capacity for quick decisions, skype yes but I wouldn't kick someone for not using it IGM and the forums works to if they are active some players were very good and easy to get a hold of but didn't want skype it has to be fun for all so you need to tailor your leadership to suit your tribe - it's meant to be a fun activity after all - we call it a game so it needs to be fun or you will lose activity by trying to impose it too harshly. I'd always like a kill all policy whether im leading or being a grunt red is dead and all that (well they used to all be red - back in the good old days :)) But that said one good ally is essential - just you need to wait and ensure they will compliment your tribe not hinder it. As for the final point I agree with Ruffus yeas experienced players yes friends who you know and also the noobs who will become great players and are often your best forum presences. A tribe should feel like a fun team effort where everyone is appreciated.

Mainly though im glad i don't do it anymore it's to time consuming to do it right.

DeletedUser

Dictatorship? V Democracy?
Dictatorship. But the duke should be open to criticism and able to admit his/her shortcomings and mistakes.

How do you keep your tribe active, not just in game but in forums or is Skype a better option rather than forum activity?
Having internal challenges within the tribe often works well, such as competitions between similarly sized players to reach 25k ODA (or 100mil ODA :lol: )

Would you rather your tribe had a 'kill all' policy or some alliances or naps....or even hug your way around the world?
Kill all policy. Have NAP's to prevent multiple fronts. Backstab them when you get the chance, but without breaking the terms of the NAP (If you promised a 24 hour grace period between NAP end and attack launch then keep to that promise) :icon_twisted:

What type of people do you recruit? - Is it a Premade, randomly made ingame or a few friends who want to lead together?
A few friends to start with, but be sure to actively recruit new players, no premade is perfect as it is, or is likely to last without recruitment. Tribes shouldn't be much more than 50 players either IMO.

DeletedUser

Dictatorship, with a select few of advisors (a council).

DeletedUser7369

Depends on the tribe members. You cat have democracy and then have too many idiots r the wrong decisions get made. Similarly you can't have a dictator if the members can see he has made a bad choice.

I was leaning towards dictatorship based on my experiences with jbox on 6 and wkd on 8 but then I realized that both Timmy (jbox) and Matt (wkd) accept advice and listen to sense when offered. In essence combining the absolute authority of a dictator whilst letting members feel they have a voice and are valued. As a result I will sit on the fence and say neither is better automatically but someone has to be ultimately accountable for difficult decisions or they won't get made.

DeletedUser5582

is a fair point and not sure any "dictator" in tw makes all of the decisions all of the time. A great leader will always listen to his tribe first and then say "we will do this" (a brilliant leader is one that does this and gets others to plan the "we will do this bit!!")

A council lacking the one person who can say ok thanks for your input and this is what we will do will, I think, almost always fail as whether you make the right or the wrong call you do NEED to make the call.

Having experienced the council approach and the benign dictator approach I would say benign dictator all the way. Any dictator unable or unwilling to listen to advice is going to have a short rule anyway.

At the end of the day folks like to know there is one person at the top they can go to (usually to moan at!) so however a tribe presents its leadership I would think that every successful one has just one person who makes that final call. Maybe not on every decision but certainly on the big ones.

DeletedUser6603

I think the term you are looking for is a 'democratic dictatorship'. Sounds bad, but it really isnt. Its kinda how we run KnK on W7.

We actively encourage our members to think about their own situation, and that of the tribe. We ask for their input, we listen to their views, agree with them and change our approach if we feel their way is better etc. Sometimes we disagree, and if we feel that it really should be done the way we think, we will enforce things if we have to (KnK members probably know what im getting at with this bit!). However, a tribe lives or dies by the decisions its duke(s) make, and that responsibility lies solely on their shoulders. If they get it wrong, its their neck on the chopping block. If a tribe was fully democratic I genuinely believe it would get nowhere. A tribe has to have direction, and that direction can only come from the top, and a supporting council.

Somebody has to be able to make a decision, and have the conviction in their decisions to make the tribe believe in them, even if the members themselves think otherwise. I know of plenty of occasions where ive had members come to me and say 'I dont agree with that but I know you only have the tribes best interests at heart so will accept your decision' etc. Its all about getting your members to buy into your way of thinking, and then not making too many mistakes! If you can do that your well on your way to having a decent tribe imo.

On a side note, I wouldnt ever duke a tribe on my own. The workload is phenomenal if you are going to run a tribe properly. KnK has 3 Dukes (all on one account to free up more time), and sometimes we still get swamped with things to do. How do those of you who Duke on your own do it without some part of your life suffering?!?

DeletedUser

The one thing I would say here is that most people want to be in a succesfull tribe, now wether this is through a more democratic or dictoral leadership isnt really the question or even the answer.

To me the answer is how the Duke/Dukes go about it, mutual respect and essentialy people management is the real key to leading a successful tribe in my eyes, add in decent organisation skills I dont care if I am asked what to do or told what to do, the result will still be a successful tribe.

Im sure the is probably an ancient proverb about winding roads and destinations to make my point, but I think you get my meaning :icon_wink:

DeletedUser

Somebody has to be able to make a decision, and have the conviction in their decisions to make the tribe believe in them, even if the members themselves think otherwise. I know of plenty of occasions where ive had members come to me and say 'I dont agree with that but I know you only have the tribes best interests at heart so will accept your decision' etc. Its all about getting your members to buy into your way of thinking, and then not making too many mistakes! If you can do that your well on your way to having a decent tribe imo.

Sorry didnt really read this bit b4 my post above that says pretty much the same kind of thing... I obviously agree tho so plus 1 coming your way for being a leader that gets it :)..... As is shown in W7!