What is the function of a mod?

DeletedUser11204

Doubt anyone will read this.....

But what is a mods function/purpose within this forum? Ok yes there is the obvious one to keep people in line, but are they supposed to keep the forums active?

DeletedUser10790

Not really

that only happens if an active poster becomes a mod

but then for some reason some active posters who are also well respected players have their modding applications turned down...

blue

DeletedUser11069

There is no real function for mods, it's a rank made up to make kids feel superior to others without having a gun to avoid mass-shootings at schools.

DeletedUser11204

you both make interesting points, but you don't answer my first question, what is a mods purpose? Clearly they don't have any interest in boosting the forums, they haven't changed in three years if anything there are fewer people posting. Perhaps we are all misreading the whole point of these forums?

DeletedUser10790

Mods are to do exactly what itsays on the tin. Moderate the forums and those who post within.

However if they recruited active posters and respected people in the community the role would include inciting activty *hint*

blue

DeletedUser11204

why then would anyone want to be a mod? If there is no return apart from something to put on a CV, why would anyone want to be one? I mean think of all the work involved, having to make sure that people are keeping in line, having to maintain the site etc etc

DeletedUser10790

In case it hasnt been obvious ive applied before...

As for what you get and why? you get to contribute to the community thats enough for me

blue

DeletedUser8412

they should accept blues application, at least we will get a mod people have heard off :x

DeletedUser11204

Lol I guessed, but then why did they turn you down? if you can answer that question?

Marcus the Mad

Senior Forum General
Speed Admin
Reaction score
I'd just like to point out that we do try to make events on the forum to spark some activity.

https://forum.tribalwars.co.uk/showthread.php?25227-quot-Where-is-Pally-quot

If no one participates though, that doesn't really give us much incentive to do things like this in the future.
The mods are not gods on the forum, just people. If we do something we do it with good intentions or because it is part of the job description.
For the aforementioned event, dabookman and me struggled through a ton of problems trying to set this up, to get not even feedback on it is not really going to make us do a similar event in the future.

DeletedUser11204

I
I'd just like to point out that we do try to make events on the forum to spark some activity.

https://forum.tribalwars.co.uk/showthread.php?25227-quot-Where-is-Pally-quot

If no one participates though, that doesn't really give us much incentive to do things like this in the future.
The mods are not gods on the forum, just people. If we do something we do it with good intentions or because it is part of the job description.
For the aforementioned event, dabookman and me struggled through a ton of problems trying to set this up, to get not even feedback on it is not really going to make us do a similar event in the future.

I don't actually get how that works? - kinda stupid sometimes

Moreover I don't doubt that you guys do lots of background work and that it doesn't really come out in the forums, especially as you probably get loads of stick for it on occasion, so if you guys do your part then what is our part?

Brain working overtime now, could we not have more visiblity in world, like having a global in game forum?

Marcus the Mad

Senior Forum General
Speed Admin
Reaction score
You don't get how the event works or?

The event is actually pretty simple for your end of it:

- We hid a "pally" and some fakes in some posts on the forum.
- You find the real "pally"
- Post the thread where you found "pally" in the thread linked at the event*
- You get entered in a raffle from which a random name will be picked for prizes

This was the most basic forum event I could think of that did NOT require people to be creative, have a lot of time or have any special skill at all.

* your entry will be hidden from sight, so don't make multiple posts when you see it gone

DeletedUser11204

You don't get how the event works or?

The event is actually pretty simple for your end of it:

- We hid a "pally" and some fakes in some posts on the forum.
- You find the real "pally"
- Post the thread where you found "pally" in the thread linked at the event*
- You get entered in a raffle from which a random name will be picked for prizes

This was the most basic forum event I could think of that did NOT require people to be creative, have a lot of time or have any special skill at all.

* your entry will be hidden from sight, so don't make multiple posts when you see it gone

Like I said - stupid :D do you literally mean like an image which when you find it pops out and says "BOO!"

Marcus the Mad

Senior Forum General
Speed Admin
Reaction score
To be honest, I don't want to share too much information about WHAT it is you are looking for.

I'll stick to "You'll know when you see it"

Marcus the Mad

Senior Forum General
Speed Admin
Reaction score
Well, it would have to be in a separate thread to suggest it.

But I can say I have a few doubts about it:

- Who will moderate it? In game moderators? Forum moderators? The players themselves?
- How should this be implemented?
- What are realistic uses of it in comparison with the external forum for each world?
- Is there a realistic demand for this

These are just a few, I'm sure there is more things like "What is the content going to be?"

DeletedUser6695

Well, it would have to be in a separate thread to suggest it.

But I can say I have a few doubts about it:

- Who will moderate it? In game moderators? Forum moderators? The players themselves?
- How should this be implemented?
- What are realistic uses of it in comparison with the external forum for each world?
- Is there a realistic demand for this

These are just a few, I'm sure there is more things like "What is the content going to be?"

You can share your forum with another/multiple tribe(s) anyway. This feature is kind of pointless

DeletedUser920

I didn't notice that competition and think I'm a comparatively active forum user. I do some PnP anyway...

Overall the forums just aren't used for gossip any more after the first few weeks of a world when the usual suspects bleat at each other with the same messages. Maybe it's because most worlds seem to get to a long drawn out fight to the end for most of their lives and so there is little need for politics. Everybody knows who the top two tribes are and then polarise around them.