Profits

DeletedUser

Oh gee. If wiki says it, it must be true.

Oh look, wiki's source is a single usatoday article with the following quote:

"Revenue US $200 million (2013 estimate)"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riot_Games

"The game has become a worldwide phenomenon, generating revenues rumored to exceed $150 million per year with a very healthy profit margin"
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=european-daily

"Revenue: $150M"
http://www.insideview.com/directory/riot-games-inc

I just googled Riot Games revenue, so I'm interested to see what your "several" sources say.

DeletedUser8219

Several sources show much much lower amounts. They made roughly $25 million in 2010.

In 2011 TenCent purchased a vast majority of their company for $400 million, at that point they were valued at $475 million.

That's how much they'd be able to sell the company for, not how much they'd made, that'd include expected future profits. ie. You pay 400 million for a company because you expect to make more than 400 million off it in the future, not because it's made that much thus far.

They are not making 8 times as much per year currently as they did in 2010.[/FONT][/COLOR]

I believe they are now valued at around 1.5 billion (I'll try find the source) edit: ok looks like the source I was remembering from was some idiot whining about the state of game servers, my bad - and although it seems insane for their revenues to go up that much but 2010 was before League of Legends really got all that popular, its experienced quite a spike in popularity since then

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser11285

made 1.2k in the last week but im not one for selling resource in stead im selling my pp points i made no money out of my pocket

DeletedUser

It's kinda funny how LoL just stole everything from Dota and now makes such a crapload of money
at least they balance their kits or whatever they're called, that's really the reason they're so far ahead of other games now i would guess

But yknow p2w sucks and we can all whine about it all day
but the fact of the matter is that it actually does add an extra layer of strategy to the game now that you can basically trade 1k res for, say a 20% wood boost for a week... it's certainly interesting what resources are valued at lol

And i can actually play with pp now which is lovely
I find myself wishing these features had been around five years ago when I started playing... would have never had to quit any worlds I got past 15 vills on for lack of time to manage them...

DeletedUser8219

It's kinda funny how LoL just stole everything from Dota

Stole is a pretty nasty word, Riot Games employed 2 out of the 4 original creators of Dota to help them make league of legends so its less stealing

DeletedUser

I did not know that.
I assumed they were competing because of dota 2.

I don't really play either of those games though, don't have the time (and I was always bad at dota)

Nauzhror

Reaction score
I did not know that.
I assumed they were competing because of dota 2.

I don't really play either of those games though, don't have the time (and I was always bad at dota)

They're definitely competing with DOTA 2.

They actually had a requirement that no player in the LoL championships be allowed to stream DOTA 2.

DeletedUser8219

It wasn't just dota 2, it was many other seeming unrelated games too. But a community uproar has caused them to remove the ruling from the championship contract thing

DeletedUser

That's funny because in another game I play I always hold up LoL as an example of what works in the sense of no p2w and frequent class balancing, which doesn't happen in our game much :( well after we rabble-roused for a while they finally did promise to tweak the gameplay when the balance obviously shifts and not 6 months after
and yet that community is nice in other ways like a lot less restrictive forum rules, micro transactions only affect the game slightly...
And they'd never tell us not to stream other games

It's really annoying how pretty much every gaming community has its downside, be it incompetent management, stupid rules, all the players being rude all the time, or even going out of fashion like tw :(

DeletedUser

You got me excited for half a second there
but its tabletop :(

Nerd :D

DeletedUser

Does anyone else realize how stupid it is to compare LoL to a text based game, or am I uniquely privileged in this insight?

DeletedUser9522

Does anyone else realize how stupid it is to compare LoL to a text based game, or am I uniquely privileged in this insight?

The point we were making: LoL does not have any P2W features and it is the most successful game in the world.

DeletedUser

The point we were making: LoL does not have any P2W features and it is the most successful game in the world.
So was WII sports, and Super Mario Bros. Yet I don't think the monetization model that they used would work for tw either. You cant seriously think a video game and a text based game with numbers and timers could possibly use the same method to make money? What should tw charge to dress up our villages differently?

DeletedUser

You seem to be the only one incapable of reading, but I don't think that makes you unique I'm afraid.

DeletedUser

You seem to be the only one incapable of reading, but I don't think that makes you unique I'm afraid.
lenty of games make tons of money using non-p2w features. For example League of Legends, the biggest game in the world that earns a ton of money for Riot Games has 0 features that you can't acquire without real money or don't make a difference to the game itself (like skins which are purely cosmetic).

Lol are you a joke? He is comparing LOL monetization to the monetization of tw......................Are you for real? Explain to me what else this could possibly mean other than a comparison of LoL to tw. One being a video game one being a text based game. Even the originator of the comment didnt say I miss read it.

Last edited by a moderator: