1 Duke or 2?

DeletedUser8768

I was just sat here thinking today about how we "run" our tribe (I say "run", in the late game for us, once we are established we find a lot of it runs itself)

What are peoples views / experiences with different duke / council set ups?

What has worked best in your case, a single duke, multiple dukes?

small council, large council?

No council at all?

DeletedUser3642

well.... i suppose I shouldnt really comment as i'm on the same side as you Rob... lol

but certainly having 3 2 dukes and insanely active council has done us proud!... (I would have included you too.... but we all know you'd rather be seen as the diplomat with a dual word vocab: "die noob!" )

DeletedUser8768

lol...

I like to think of me as the one who holds it all together when you and Pablo fall out.

The diplomatic one for sure!

Ok, Yeah, from personal experience, having multiple dukes for me has been a huge benefit.

I think personally, we have been lucky, the fact that we all get along, and think along similar lines.

The option to take a break is a huge advantage, knowing the other 1 or 2 dukes are looking after things.

I like the fact I can blame you two for my own mistakes too. :icon_biggrin:

There is no chance of a single player having a "power trip" and the chores can be spread out.

As for a council, I personally like to have a few members here, there seems to be lots of boring, time consuming, and stressful parts of running a tribe.

Things that can be divided amongst others so that no one player has the burden of too much at any one time and can still play, and enjoy the game.

Having multiple dukes, and a council, I feel that no single player can be blamed when things go wrong (except Pablo in our case) and using voting systems for major decisions, either within the council, or the whole tribe helps with that too.

I have played worlds where the tribe is run by a single duke, and at times a dictatorship type style,. it has seemed to work for some tribes, but I wonder how loyal those players being "told" what to do really are? and the stress levels of that single player??? :icon_evil::icon_twisted::mad::icon_evil::icon_rolleyes:

DeletedUser

It all depends on the size and set-up of the tribe or tribes. There are many different styles of leadership and all have their place, if balanced well.

Proposition One
If we have a small tribe of players that are mainly "solo" players you can find that there is no real need for a council and the group, if they know each other very well and effectively work as a "senate" organisation with the original duke stepping in to make a decision only in an emergency situation.

Proposition Two
You have a large single tribe of good players. My personal thoughts are, on the UK servers you can manage with a single duke if you have a good strong council who all think in the same way. On the dot net servers it is useful to have 2 dukes. One uk and one USA so they cover each other. But again with a strong council it's not really necessary if the duke passes authority down the tree and allows key council members to make decisions on their behalf as a council.

Proposition Three
Family tribes; The only way this really works, from experience, is if one of the tribal dukes is effectively a lead or Arch Duke and has authority over all the tribes. No other way of operating really works if you stand any chance of getting them to operate as a unit. Family tribes never usually work because the coordination and leadership is never there and the dukes always look to do the best for their tribes and never for the group.

Appart from the above there is also the consideration of time available to the duke or dukes. Having multiple dukes allows to spread the load a little; but again the counter to this if you have a strong council there is no need for the duke to be always there. So in summary the crux to one, two, three etc is it depends on the people you have around you in your council.

This is bound to stir up differences of opinion so open to discuss this as there is no correct answer to this

TT

DeletedUser

I've found a single (Good) duke and about 4 barons does the trick, like an Emperor and a Senate, although the duke inevitably has the final say.

Co-duking doesn't always work due to conflicting views, but when they're both sensible and co-operative, it can be very efficient, although this normally comes after playing with each other on several previous worlds.

DeletedUser

I reckon its hard to say the number needed,it all depends on the types of players you have,world settings and online time you have, but i would generally say one duke and a council of 3 or 4

DeletedUser

In my own experience, it really depends more on the individuals involved, kinda like communism vs capitalism. Both work great in theory, neither are particularly great in practise. I've played all kinds of roles in the past, from diplomat, baron, council member, duke, etc, and I find it depends more on the people. Certainly having two or three players to spread the administrative workload is nice, but at the end of the day, I think that there needs to be one dominant individual who makes the final call.

I once ran in a tribe who elected a new leader from within their ranks. It was a complicated scenario to explain, but basically the old duke stepped down. That way, the leader that was chose had the immediate loyalty of the players, as she had been chosen by them, and as they had known her from the council. In larger tribes, a council seems to be an essential part of running them, as the more points of view you're exposed to, the broader your mind will be, and the more possibilities you will have covered. But in a small tribe, it seems that a duke and two-three barons works sufficiently.

I've always strove to help my tribes, and as such, I tended to get promoted up the administrative ranks, as I ended up being the one who was enthusiastically doing the work. I suppose the basic model here seems to be one main leader with a group of advisers, varying in size.

Rho

DeletedUser9540

In the .net server, I often use the "1 Duke who acts as a baron, but just wears the crown." Council, Yes, but the size depends on how many players there are. Sometimes, I use about 1 council member per 10 players, but if that doesnt make an odd amount, I work it out. In this world, thats how it was in WINNER and I have no complaints.

DeletedUser3642

The best combination I have experienced (and am currently in), is a very strong council of super active and reliable people, lead by 3 experienced tacticians (Dukes). Each with their own skill set which compliment the others. (Hence why at one point we suggested we were the Good, Bad and the Ugly :)) This stops any one approach causing a weakness either by being too soft or by being to daring - the aim being to be adaptable and predictably unpredictable. Above all else, the reason why 3 dukes has succeeded, is the mutual respect, friendship and loyalty not only between us, but to our council and the wider tribe as a whole.
I'm certain that Pablo has already said elsewhere that he would happily sacrifice his own growth and villages to ensure the success of the tribe and the enjoyment of the members. This is echo'd by all of us.

Every council member has the same say, there is no such concept as "Baron" or "Regular council". Respect for each others abilities, knowledge and experience is central to the function of a successful council.

Council size - depends very much on the size of the world and how much work needs doing. Ultimately, a well run tribe will have well trained members who don't generate much work, and the councils job is then purely to keep the direction consistent, so a large council is not necessarily required. Quality above quantity every time!

DeletedUser7797

Largish council 7 - 10 of dependable members. Loads of jobs to be done and always people to act as sitters.

2-3 Dukes, dependant upon tribe size.

Best to have Dukes that play slightly differently and who back each other up even when they disagree.

DeletedUser8534

Largish council 7 - 10 of dependable members. Loads of jobs to be done and always people to act as sitters.

2-3 Dukes, dependant upon tribe size.

Best to have Dukes that play slightly differently and who back each other up even when they disagree.

Then why do you never back me up everytime I upset the rest of the council?? :icon_biggrin:

DeletedUser8534

I would personally say two Dukes with one who probably has the final say if it is needed to make the call between one decision and the next.

I would say early game just about 4 other council members all reliable and very active but this should then be increased with expansion into squad/continent leaders.

Giving out council status for a specially designed recruiter, diplomat, forum moderater etc well this is just a waste. Those who are given privs should be given them due to their willingness to take on these other roles.

I personally think 7 is the absolute maximum and would really only like 6 council members with two dukes late game.

DeletedUser5582

this thread on Uk8 talked pretty much about what (some) of you are talking about here. The first few posts are good to read then the thread wanders off!!

KnK has a rare set up with 3 dukes on the one acc working very well but then one is lazy I remember so really it is two?!

Anyway my thoughts on this are in the link but what makes a tribe work against ones that fail is an interesting topic. Did KnK succeed on this world because a few knew each other from Uk1 and formed a solid core or did they recruits decent players on this world? How did new player fit in or did a clique form (clearly not so that speaks volume about quality leadership making sure all feel welcome).

Would love to hear more about how KnK works and if this style could be repeated on other worlds by different players?

DeletedUser3642

KnK has a rare set up with 3 dukes on the one acc working very well but then one is lazy I remember so really it is two?!

Anyway my thoughts on this are in the link but what makes a tribe work against ones that fail is an interesting topic. Did KnK succeed on this world because a few knew each other from Uk1 and formed a solid core or did they recruits decent players on this world? How did new player fit in or did a clique form (clearly not so that speaks volume about quality leadership making sure all feel welcome).

Would love to hear more about how KnK works and if this style could be repeated on other worlds by different players?

Thanks LJ :)

We started the game co-playing as we all have busy RL's, but it definately seemed to work well.

We've since split off into our own accounts - Pablo retaining Pogue Mahone, Rob moving to bladesmanstan, and myself to Melet. On forum, we've kept our signature the same - Pogue Mahone, as we still literally operate as a single unit which is what we wish to portray.
The grounding of how our Duking works is based around a quite simple concept really :) friendship and respect.
If one of us makes a decision, the others will stick by it even if they disagree - and we all discuss tactics between us frequently.
We each have our own skill set to bring to the trio - which is probably why we've been considering giving Rob the Diplomat lead :p seeing as there's not many people left to be peaceful with!!

Yeh there's been a few disagreements along the way, but as long as you can move on without having hangups - there not an issue.

We did certainly have a good advantage having all played together on W1, however - other tribes to some extent also had this, but they've all disappeared now... not quite sure where... *glances at the rim*

Saying that - the new guys who we've met on this world are great - and have totally bought into the KnK psyche of one for all and all for one... a few black sheeps here and there perhaps ;-) but on the whole everyone plays with the same idealisms

Within our council - we have 8 individuals including myself who played on w1 together, and 3 who we first met on this world. (thats not 8 accounts by the way, we like our co-played accounts here!)

Within the tribe - 15 individuals (not accounts) originate from our original W1 tribe

Well over half of our tribe are W7 originals, where this is their first KnK experience :)

So perhaps we do have a solid core, and particularly - a solid council... I think that is the key thing in any tribe, a solid core of reliable players who are happy to work together - genuinely without any real conflict or disagreement.

DeletedUser

Mike hit the nail straight on the head.

KnK worked well as a tribe on W1 but we were to little to late at least thats what I think.
Some of us came to W7 at its begining yes this did give us slight advantage perhaps,
But I put all our good fortunes down to the Pougues 3 Dukes working as One with a well chosen council,

Most of the Ops we have undertaken are worked out weeks in advance every one drilled and knowing who or what to do.

So to keep on topic I preffer min of 2 Dukes....

DeletedUser6603

We actually tend to rotate the op planning. Mike did our last op, and the next one is mine. We do the initial fleshing out of the ops on skype, then its down to whoever's turn it is to put it all together, which is the boring bit of planning ops tbh......

DeletedUser8768

I'll be planning the op on the very last village lol