404 - Tribe Not Found?

DeletedUser857

@Charlie & Neil: Now now you two, I won't have my coplayer and one of my most favorite TW players fighting over such a small little thing ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Well I guess people are just going to have to TRUST you on that one!

You know what you taught me mate.

Rev - awesome post best bit of literature I've read on here.

DeletedUser7325

A good leader knows when to stand down and allow effective leadership to take over. Its not weakness, its intelligent. Disbanding should only occur when the tribe is about to collapse from war. Otherwise fight.

On w30 I didn't disband the tribe despite losing 2/3 of my tribemembers (due to inactivity), cause what few that remained decided to stick to the end, at least, until I ordered them to leave and save themselves. Still... it was fun.

Thats the difference, Inactivity doesnt hurt you (being a leader) compared to the betrayal and selfishness of your tribe members.

DeletedUser

Thats the difference, Inactivity doesnt hurt you (being a leader) compared to the betrayal and selfishness of your tribe members.

1. Inactivity hurts.

2. Betrayal hurts more. (believe me, I suffered it, caused morale to plummet.)

3. Selfishness makes you want to rim the noob for it.

Inactivity is an inevitability. Just spice it up, make things interesting, and stave it off at best. A wise friend of mine once told me "The thing about TribalWars isn't that we declare war on tribes, diplomacy, all that stuff. The real war is that we players as a whole declare war on inactivity, the tribe which can keep all its members for longer will have the infinite advantage over a tribe which loses his members to inactivty (regardless of the war stats).

Betrayal only happens if a the betrayer is an idiot, or the tribe is rubbish and worthy of betrayal. This is subject to debate, as to what the reason could be for the betrayal.

Selfishness is a common problem when leading a tribe, a good leader can remove this faculty somewhat.

DeletedUser

Uhuh, yes you did! :lol:

No, I've never betrayed my tribe. on w14 I was suspected of it and dismissed, but I was innocent.

w30 I was betrayed by a tribemember. Still... survived both counts hehehe...

DeletedUser

404 asked for this PnP, GJ.

I never understand how some people have big egos playing online games though. And that they can be "stroked" by sitting on your arse, clicking a few buttons. I mean, you're not exactly a superhero like me >_<

DeletedUser

I never understand how some people have big egos playing online games though. And that they can be "stroked" by sitting on your arse, clicking a few buttons. I mean, you're not exactly a superhero like me >_<

This post confuses me. :icon_confused:

DeletedUser920

Well now 404 have gone, I can say a couple of things that I wanted to say before, but really didn't want to coach them in their mistakes while they were our enemies.

Way back in the beginning they had some aggressive players who were individuals, which as always scares players off from attacking them because they fear the retaliation. At that time they were very vulnerable, but with so many players we struggled to coordinate attacks against them. When we did, it was clear that they had very few defensive troops to defend their tribe members and not many who were prepared to share them.

They were, however, very effective at espionage and that confounded our attempts to hit back effectively. Two or three successful operations did not go anywhere towards winning a war and their mounting count of our small villages that they nobled was enough to mean that we had a slow drift of members leaving to other tribes when they reached 10-15,000 points.

The striking thing, though, is that it seems that the culture of espionage and sneakiness came back and bit them in the bum. By all accounts it was a significant factor in 404 breaking up.

I'd love to say that we won the war against 404, but that wouldn't be true, although I can at least say that we outlasted them. Now we all need to sort out the tangled web of diplomacy and decide if it is Bi! against the world, or Bi! plus a coalition of others steamrollering the central continents.
The aim of the gaame is not simply to win, it is to enjoy it, but at the moment the ball is in Bi!'s court about what challenge they wish to face.

PMs and IGMs welcome.

DeletedUser7325

Lmao, *Agrees* +1 Rep from me.

DeletedUser

Ruffus can blame his tribe and real life problems all he wants. The reason for Bi! declaring is because my spy told me 404 are going to hit Bi! I didn't believe this at first as only one the the five spys I had told me this, so I left it until the next day, then came along another, so I knew it was true, then I droped the NAP and declared war. I messaged Ruffus on Skype saying good luck, then 4 hours later he disbanded 404. If he had real life problems, then why declare war on Bi!? Bi! wasn't planning on hitting 404. I don't think Ruffus liked the fact that mggege is leaving 404 and joining Bi! which made Bi! rank 1. I've got the circular mails Ruffus sent to his tribe about it all. Can't be boverd to find it.

DeletedUser6695

Ruffus can blame his tribe and real life problems all he wants. The reason for Bi! declaring is because my spy told me 404 are going to hit Bi! I didn't believe this at first as only one the the five spys I had told me this, so I left it until the next day, then came along another, so I knew it was true, then I droped the NAP and declared war. I messaged Ruffus on Skype saying good luck, then 4 hours later he disbanded 404. If he had real life problems, then why declare war on Bi!? Bi! wasn't planning on hitting 404. I don't think Ruffus liked the fact that mggege is leaving 404 and joining Bi! which made Bi! rank 1. I've got the circular mails Ruffus sent to his tribe about it all. Can't be boverd to find it.

the circular isnt too interesting so not much point posting it :icon_confused:

DeletedUser857

He posted the same Circ in this very thread I think (not certain though and I certainly can't be bothered to check)

DeletedUser

Well the ins and outs of internal 404 circs are not really that relevant or interesting now, I agree. The spying issue is, however. In a generalised sense I'm always fascinated about what motivates someone to do that. Sometimes it can be a personal issue with other tribe members, and so quite a childish reaction of getting one over on them. Sometimes it can be simply that this is how a few people get kicks out of the game, as in RL I guess. But most often I think it is to do with a certain hedging of bets against a potentially strong(er) rival, and I suspect that this last reason was probably the most common one in relation to 404 spys, who then ultimately betrayed the tribe openly as well as in a hidden manner (although given the way Mggege's co-player also spammed forums in the manner of a 12 year old I suspect that either he is actuallly 12, or just a prat who just acts like one so maybe it's more about the kicks in that particular case).

Now in its own terms this 'diplomacy' has been a very big success for Bi! in that not only did it lead to 404 plans being known about in advance, but also to the destruction of the only tribe that was/is in a position to challenge Bi! without allies (for now at least). However, the sort of players who betray tribemates for their own selfish success have in my view a mindset akin to a mercenary who essentially play for the most successful tribe in order to further their own points. The problem with these sort of players (and through this action Bi! has just about all of them now in w4) is that they have no genuine tribe or team loyalty - as soon as a different and potentially stronger tribe comes along to challenge Bi! then they will jump ship again, assuming another tribe would take them now. Now of course, we could see a situation where Bi! are essentially top dogs on w4 forever and crush all opposition before it gets to a stage where it can pose a serious threat so that may never happen. But this is a funny old game and this cannot easily be predicted. So then we are left with a tribe essentially of very good individual players who are at the same time appalling team ones, and there lays the seeds of Bi!'s future problems, not least because when it comes down to it these people have shown that they cannot in any meaningful way ever be trusted.

In response to Lord Greg's points, well yes, most successful players of TW are offense orientated which can leave them vulnerable to counter-attack due to lack of defensive troops (at least early game). Offense wins TW as has been proved time and again on any world you can mention. But that is not to discount a defensive mindset, particularly in worlds with pally weapons and the dreaded Bonfire. Someone who has one of those, has good def troop levels and is also skilled at sniping noble trains is very hard to beat once they have reached a certain number of villas even with the faster rebuild time of a nuke compared to a full village defence. In any case, while I think you are right to a certain extent regarding some of the selfish rather than team 404 players (the ones who are now in Bi! of course), 404 was capable of defending players where credible threats were there - it's just in your case the threat rarely was credible.

Finally, the other point that you miss is that most (although not all) of the top players are co-played. This is an advantage at anytime in terms of activity, not being offline when attacks are launched at you etc., but early game in particular it has a bigger advantage due to the higher improtance that farming has - a very active account will not only have huge resource advantages that lead to faster growth, but at the same time they will deprive others of those resources (that are themselves more limited early game), and so the growth differential becomes even greater. When these very active, and normally co-played, accounts are concentrated into a few top tribes then this translates into a tribe growth advantage...
Del.

DeletedUser

In any case, while I think you are right to a certain extent regarding some of the selfish rather than team 404 players (the ones who are now in Bi! of courseDel.

Cant speak for the others but i didnt leave 404 it was disbanded from under me !!!!!!!!!!!