A Brief Introduction to Intelligent Flaming/Propaganda ReDux Deluxe

DeletedUser

You broke several rules.

Flaming, there is no actual criteria for flaming on the internet. It comes in different forms, you cannot just clumb it together.

Propaganda, again no rule on what is or isn't propaganda, and what is or isn't the 'correct' way to do it.

Marketing is the term which there is a fine line between 'crap' and 'BS' and 'OMG TOTALLY AMAZING'.

EDIT: I put in examples so you don't wrong foot me. And i will also make fun of myself here. (well as you think its me , it's actually my mate , whose a big BS'er.)

So..flame

1) Someone says something, you react in argumentative fashion = flame.

a) "I dislike this tribe as they are n00bs"
b) "You are just a self-centered little 'BEEP' and you are still BEEPING THE BEEP YO."
= flame

2) Same as 1) different reaction.

a) same quote
b) "I do understand your opinion but it is the wrong one"...[says arrogant things, things that they know best when they only been playing for x amount of days etc] "and thats how we will defeat all in w3" [that old trick.] ;)

3) absolute prop.

a) "Here s my fantastic tribe and i think we are doing well considering we have only just started"
b) "You call yourself a tribe? you're awful, so awful no ODD, ODI, and some other intials that make no sense to newbs" (oh did you like my input there? I did.
a) "Well we have a large number of players joining us and it is turning into a connected family tribe" [signed: death] (watch and learn, thats the next thing you will hear)
b) "ah no, FAMILY TRIBES ARE GHEY. the only ones that worked were on some world on .net, before our time yeah, so you are just so newb and i will just write out all the worlds i have been in and tell you how wrong you are." [yep becuase that will deterr him, have any of these so-called 'experienced' players acually know or been on any ther forum/site on the net? If you have you need to re-think your strategies in stopping a troll. It starts with D and ends in T.]
a) flame (1)

There you go, bored now.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

You broke several rules.

Flaming, there is no actual criteria for flaming on the internet. It comes in different forms, you cannot just clumb it together.

Propaganda, again no rule on what is or isn't propaganda, and what is or isn't the 'correct' way to do it.

Marketing is the term which there is a fine line between 'crap' and 'BS' and 'OMG TOTALLY AMAZING'.

EDIT: I put in examples so you don't wrong foot me. And i will also make fun of myself here. (well as you think its me , it's actually my mate , whose a big BS'er.)

So..flame

1) Someone says something, you react in argumentative fashion = flame.

a) "I dislike this tribe as they are n00bs"
b) "You are just a self-centered little 'BEEP' and you are still BEEPING THE BEEP YO."
= flame

2) Same as 1) different reaction.

a) same quote
b) "I do understand your opinion but it is the wrong one"...[says arrogant things, things that they know best when they only been playing for x amount of days etc] "and thats how we will defeat all in w3" [that old trick.] ;)

3) absolute prop.

a) "Here s my fantastic tribe and i think we are doing well considering we have only just started"
b) "You call yourself a tribe? you're awful, so awful no ODD, ODI, and some other intials that make no sense to newbs" (oh did you like my input there? I did.
a) "Well we have a large number of players joining us and it is turning into a connected family tribe" [signed: death] (watch and learn, thats the next thing you will hear)
b) "ah no, FAMILY TRIBES ARE GHEY. the only ones that worked were on some world on .net, before our time yeah, so you are just so newb and i will just write out all the worlds i have been in and tell you how wrong you are." [yep becuase that will deterr him, have any of these so-called 'experienced' players acually know or been on any ther forum/site on the net? If you have you need to re-think your strategies in stopping a troll. It starts with D and ends in T.]
a) flame (1)

There you go, bored now.

Perhaps the terms aren't absolutely concrete, but I am trying to encourage intelligent posting. I don't know about you (nor do I care quite honestly), but the current pace in these forums is really starting to grate on my nerves. I am tired of everyone running around posting uneducated opinions and then thinking they've won whatever arguments they've created by simply saying, "Itz mai opnyon lulz, u cant make it rong". Because quite frankly, everyone has an opinion. The idea behind Propaganda is to sway people's opinions by using believable and/or quantifiable evidence to help prove your opinion as being more believable. Not to just repeat your opinion over and over. We get it, you've got an opinion. Now what purpose does it serve to post your opinion, if no one will believe or listen to you?

DeletedUser

Well Discord I give you respect for this initiative, still I don't see that many people being influenced by this "Guide" or "Advice" whatever you want to call it.

I found some interesting reading in it, I hope others can also find something nice to read here, it is indeed a well structured text.

Cheers,
TBBT

DeletedUser

Since a great deal of people are interested in making PnP to succeed in Krieg's Propaganda Contest, I figure that this would be the better place to start for the time being. I'll try to walk through my process of writing a PnP thread. The example I'll use is Freak Out!

To start with, most good PnP has a catchy title. A big misconception is that one has to put [War], or (PnP) in the title. That is not the case. If you do it properly, people will be capable of figuring out what your thread is about. The thread's title should be interesting, and entice people to come read. In my case, it was a repeated phrase in the song I chose to base my PnP around. (That will come later). The title could really be anything, but the most important thing is that it catches people's attention. It should be short enough that people don't get bored by the time they read the end of it, but long enough that you provide a sense of intrigue. It is after all, the first thing that people see when looking at your thread. I came up with "Freak Out!" for this thread. The reasoning becomes rather evident once one reads the thread.

Okay, so you've got a cool title and you're ready to get into the meat of your Propaganda. Not quite yet. First you need an idea of what your propaganda's theme, or major elements are going to be. You should think about the best way to both entertain, and inform the audience of what is going on. In my case, I thought that the song Le Freak was a solid choice. It had some nice repetition that could be used to include my important links and what-not. It also rather clearly stated precisely who Jungle was going to war with. It was fairly easy to assume what was going on without overtly saying, "Jungle is going to war with Freaks".

So I've made it clear who the target is, and I have a relatively interesting hook to keep people interested. Now it is time to include some evidence to make people think my tribe is going to wipe the floor with them. One of the best ways to do this, is to include reports and evidence of enemy tribe's leaders (or members) making fools of themselves. In my case, it was both. I had ample evidence that showed the leaders "betraying" their tribe to save their own skins, and I had a large number of reports of Jungle members wreaking havoc on Freak villages. On a side note, people hate leaders that betray their tribes. Targetting a tribe's leaders is usually the best way to cause instability in the opposing tribe. After all, if the leader thinks there is no hope, how will they convince the members that they have a chance? The second best way is to make them think their efforts are useless, and their task seems too immense to succeed. For the sake of this explanation, I targeted the leadership.

By making the members of the tribe worry for their safety, and show them that their leaders could not be trusted, I established a a wall of distrust between the members and the leaders. This inevitably led to a total break down of the tribe. This let us mop up the individual players with little to no resistance from any sort of coordinated strike.

And that is about all I have to say about that. That is my process. The thing you need to take into account is entertainment vs information. You need a solid balance of both. Otherwise no one will read what you're writing, or no one will believe what you're writing.

I will likely edit and add some more later, but for the time being I have things of my own to attend to.

I added a new segment. I'll probably work on it some more, but for the time being that is what I've got. I figured rather than sit on it for a few days while I edit it and make it perfectly pristine, I'd give it to you all to take from it what you wish.

I'll probably break that PnP down a bit more tomorrow, and show exactly what I am attempting to do in each spot tomorrow. Hopefully come friday I'll have the time to write out a full-fledged Propaganda guide.

DeletedUser

I'll give my input from the other side of the fence :)

I don't have access to the Circ that went out with the PnP but it should also be included i think Willo with this and the PnP it really spelt D.O.O.M for us.

Being a nooby noob to TW and certainly duking this was my first experience of PnP and reacting to it. We already had some inter tribal problems with regards to weak members and people not willing to participate and so this realllllllllllly exemplified matters (to the point of tribal collapse). The PnP wasn't the start of things between the 2 tribes as both were skirmishing and planning Ops before this but the timing of the release and the content were both perfect in my eyes. We had a very strong core group of players that worked and trusted each other fully (even after this) but following the PnP and Circ the newer and the weaker members of the team obviously began doubting not only the tribe but their own ability to standup against Jungle. Freaks quickly turned into chaos with these disgruntled members losing faith in the leaders and the tribe as a whole and as im sure you guys know it is quite infectious. It got to the point where there were about 6/7 members that believed in the tribe and ultimately when Guess Who left (i won't go into his reasons but they were valid) and with me standing down prior to all this and then leaving the tribe quickly crumbled.

I think to summarise the PnP had an IMMENSE effect on morale within the tribe and ultimately if you put even a little bit distrust in the leadership (in this case a lorry load) into the members minds then you've already won the war.

EDIT*
The cheeky git even asked me for the name of track....Chic - Le Freak (a disco classic)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

lol I know I am German ;)
was more a question why he has a German name while he can't read German...
but that hasN#t got to do anything with the topic^^