A United Ireland? Backed by PAISLEY!?

DeletedUser

Smug... look.. wiped off face? Of who, all the irish? I think you're stereotyping just a little bit there...

Yeah thats right, we all went around with smug looks on our faces, you ill informed prat.

Did I mention every Irish person was walking around with a smug look on their face? No. If you took time and carefully read my posts I was talking about the richest people in Ireland, those having the top jobs in the various Irish banks and the rich farmers becoming dependent on EU money.

Read the post carefully before you blow another fuse. Little bit defence aren't you Shaney boy?

DeletedUser

One of the main concerns regarding the UK & Europe are the Irish investments in Northern Irelands companies etc., in which if they lose position the UK loses money, which is another EU member in more trouble.

Also, I agree with quite the bit Boxxy says. Irelands systems favour the rich and they had become to reliant on the systems inplace and had nothing as back-up.

DeletedUser

One of the main concerns regarding the UK & Europe are the Irish investments in Northern Irelands companies etc., in which if they lose position the UK loses money, which is another EU member in more trouble.

Also, I agree with quite the bit Boxxy says. Irelands systems favour the rich and they had become to reliant on the systems inplace and had nothing as back-up.

Even if it does favour the rich, the poor will be the ones to suffer if the economy collapses. The rich will just up and move country, like they do to evade tax.

DeletedUser

And no-one was doubting that. One a positive, even tho the UK is in a debt and the cuts etc., Northern Ireland has taken in new businesses so they may come here :)

DeletedUser

what does this mean?

It means that even though Ireland is part of the entity which is the group "EU", which consists of the majority of the countries that reside in the continent Europe, it is never fully part of the continent itself simply because:

A. It is an island, and therefore leads to...
B. It is an island, with little power in the economic wealth of the EU, shown by its need for the EU to bail it out and it simply has no standing in the world powers.

I remain by the view that Ireland should of stuck with the "UK" rather than keep itself as a separate entity as 'Ireland' and moved into the EU.

If Ireland had stuck inside the United Kingdom which is currently made up of Scotland, Wales, England and Northern Ireland then they wouldn't be in the mess they're currently in.

Oh, and before some morale somebody comes in saying that I supported all the old wars from which England raided Ireland and did all that horrible stuff, you're missing the point. What I am saying is that Ireland could of kept its entity as Ireland inside of the United Kingdom, without the need for a war. Diplomatic basis, in conclusion.

DeletedUser

No. It's all a secret plot by the Belgians to take control.

trollface.jpg

DeletedUser613

It means that even though Ireland is part of the entity which is the group "EU", which consists of the majority of the countries that reside in the continent Europe, it is never fully part of the continent itself simply because:

A. It is an island, and therefore leads to...
B. It is an island, with little power in the economic wealth of the EU, shown by its need for the EU to bail it out and it simply has no standing in the world powers.

I remain by the view that Ireland should of stuck with the "UK" rather than keep itself as a separate entity as 'Ireland' and moved into the EU.

If Ireland had stuck inside the United Kingdom which is currently made up of Scotland, Wales, England and Northern Ireland then they wouldn't be in the mess they're currently in.

Oh, and before some morale somebody comes in saying that I supported all the old wars from which England raided Ireland and did all that horrible stuff, you're missing the point. What I am saying is that Ireland could of kept its entity as Ireland inside of the United Kingdom, without the need for a war. Diplomatic basis, in conclusion.

Ireland was a big part of the EU and an important economic player into it up until this happened.

Hardly. The UK is also under intense pressure, with a messed up ireland to deal with too? who knows.
If Ireland werent on the euro though, devaluation of currency could have worked to avoid this

DeletedUser

Proof needed that Ireland was ever a big economic player in the EU.

The UK is a world power, and shows it strength by still having its same currency...

What I am saying is that Ireland would of been far better off with the UK than the EU.

DeletedUser3312

Ireland suck. Government is terrible and the entire country is run by businesses.

And these IRA loony's want more land? Hell, their country can't even handle what it's got.
EDIT: This isn't to be offensive to Irish people. I'm part Irish myself :p

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Did I mention every Irish person was walking around with a smug look on their face? No. If you took time and carefully read my posts I was talking about the richest people in Ireland, those having the top jobs in the various Irish banks and the rich farmers becoming dependent on EU money.

Here is your statement (note the highlighted portion)

I'm not relating it to CTW in anyway Olly. I'm just stating that the Irish economy is collapsing due to the corrupt financial system and it's over-subsidised agricultural sector. Nice to see the smug look wiped off their faces.

It's harsh but I don't care.

Now, lets look at your statement. You said that the Irish economy (which effects all citizens of Ireland) is collapsing and gave your reasons. Then you proceed to say "Nice to see the smug look wiped off their faces." Due to the fact that the collapse of an economy will effect all citizens and since you don't state explicitly that you meant the smug looks being wiped from corrupt bankers and rich farmers (which believe you me are far and few between apart from a few with huge farms) was I not right to react in the way I did?

Read the post carefully before you blow another fuse. Little bit defence aren't you Shaney boy?

Believe you me I didn't blow a fuse. Had I blown a fuse I wouldn't be here replying to you as I'm pretty sure I'd have permanent forum ban. Yes I am defensive of my fellow country men, women and children who due to the incompetence and greed of a minority are facing years of financial hardship and all that brings with it.

Now as for this statement I really don't know where to start but I will have a go.

So Ireland should have stuck with the very state that oppressed us for years, stealing our land, starving our citizens and forcing us to be tenants on our own land? Our forefathers fought for our independence (sometimes Brother against Brother - see the Ken Loach film 'The Wind That Shakes The Barley') and in 1922 we seceded from the United Kingdom (UK) to become the independent Irish Free State - and after 1948 the republic.

Now we did not join the EU until 1973 - 51 years after we became a free state (albeit part of the Commonwealth) and 25 years after we became a Republic and formally left the Commonwealth.

The way you worded your statement it would seem we left one to join the other but that clearly is not the way it happened.

Are you sure of that? Things weren't great when we were a part of the UK hence why we pushed and fought for our independence.

However Europe is where we are and now we are in the process of handing over our economic sovereignty to them (and arguably total sovereignty as what use is sovereignty without the power to decide how to use the funds to govern your country?).

Arguably Europe has been good for us however ask farmers whose milk quotas etc have been eroded over the last decade and the fishermen who have gone out of business due to quotas and they may have a different story.

Germany and France could not allow our banks to go under due to the fact that German and French bond holders recklessly lent to our banks during the 'boom' and the domino effect if our banks went under would be catastrophic for the Euro so we have been forced to take this EU/IMF loan for the greater good of all the European community.

However this does not absolve FF for the recklessness of their 12-13 years in power as they let the economy spiral out of control.

DeletedUser

Just seeing this .

The UK banks has borrowed a lot of money in Ireland, mostly given to building developers .
Most of the time offering both parties, masses amounts of money to bid against each other for the same development .

This brought up prices and people had to borrow more to get what the wanted .

Its in the UK goverments interest for Ireland to remain stable because of its banks borrowing so much .
And these loans have to be paid back with interest by the tax payers .

You must remember that Ireland is a very young country, we are on our own since 1948 .

Look at all the money that was pumped into east germany when the got the freedom .

Just to remind people that ireland had a population of over 8 million in 1846 before the famine, its now just over 6 million the highest since then .
(This was due to immigration aswell ) As a result of this there is aprox 37 million irish Irish ancestry in the USA and aprox 24 million in the UK .

So saying we are small would not be true as these Irish abroad are very loyal to there native country .

Compare that to other states you will see the difference .

Irish people survived a lot over the years and the the will survive this im sure .

Sorry if you can't understand did this in a hurry :)

P.S Most of my best friends are from the UK, and i have nothing against anyone from the UK, as someone said here we are very similar in lots of way ..... including Ian Paisley ( i find he very funny )

We are all in the same boat greedy bankers and stupid, brown envelope corruption in our goverments .

DeletedUser

So Ireland should have stuck with the very state that oppressed us for years, stealing our land, starving our citizens and forcing us to be tenants on our own land? Our forefathers fought for our independence (sometimes Brother against Brother - see the Ken Loach film 'The Wind That Shakes The Barley') and in 1922 we seceded from the United Kingdom (UK) to become the independent Irish Free State - and after 1948 the republic. That's certainly not what I have learned. But alas, as a point I shall say the 'Easter Rising' or one of the several Home Rule attempts. We were the world power - we had provided for our citizens. To go and bite the hand that feeds you?

Are you sure of that? Things weren't great when we were a part of the UK hence why we pushed and fought for our independence. Is that why you caused a war in Northern Ireland for all those years? Nothern Ireland, the area of Ireland that had choosen to stay part of the UK. We were loyal and we recognised how life would be better as part of the UK. The UK had just emerged from The Great War, so yeah maybe everyone felt the pinch? Of course, you had been intending to fight us with German weapons too.

However Europe is where we are and now we are in the process of handing over our economic sovereignty to them (and arguably total sovereignty as what use is sovereignty without the power to decide how to use the funds to govern your country?). Had your government, the one you elected, not got you into that mess then you would not be moaning about it.

Just some points I give a damn about. *We, in my terms, refers to Northern Ireland.

DeletedUser

[/COLOR]

Just some points I give a damn about. *We, in my terms, refers to Northern Ireland.

I hope you're not referring to the whole of Northern Ireland BECAUSE you are young and were brought up on the education of the UK. All you've ever known IN Northern ireland is English rule, therefore how can you make an informed decision on why you did this and that. I'm not saying you've been brainwashed to believe anything, but the phrase "The winner writes the history books" comes to mind.

The point is the UK have treated Ireland AND Scotland appallingly in the past, and to some extent we still do now in terms of Money and borrowing. I hope you have been taught the story of the great potato famine and the part that the UK had to play in the hundred of thousand of deaths in Ireland. I do not blame Ireland at all for wanting to have independence, after all what did we really do for them? Nothing, we treated them as cheap Labour.

Although now, in today's climate I would love to have Ireland become part of the United Kingdom again. It is an option now because of new human rights legislation etc, and if you put a bit of money into the economy you are going to see it come back out. That is true of any economy.

DeletedUser

We were the world power - we had provided for our citizens. To go and bite the hand that feeds you?

*we as in people from Northern Ireland were provided (Those of you that were the correct religion ) What we produced in the south was exported to the UK durning the famine.

The UK had just emerged from The Great War, so yeah maybe everyone felt the pinch? Of course, you had been intending to fight us with German weapons too.

In WW1. 350,000 Irishmen volunteered for service during WW1 in addition to the 50,000 Irishmen already serving in the regular army and reserve at the outbreak of the war. Most of the southern Irish Catholics .

Had your government, the one you elected, not got you into that mess then you would not be moaning about it.
Yes our government and banks got it wrong .... Im sure there not the first our the last that will ....:icon_eek:
Maybe i wrong :icon_redface:

DeletedUser6695

Not going to comment on it all but Ireland remain part of the UK?

The country who exploited us? Caused a famine and caused people to leave for a better life because of a lack of food while the british exported our crops?

DeletedUser

Just a note about the historical circumstances. When London was doing all the nasty things to the Irish, it was also being pretty nasty to its home subjects. The potato famine was long before we had universal suffrage, employment law, etc. We still sent children to factories, debtors to prison, and thieves to the colonies. I'm not justifying British attitudes to Ireland, btw, just pointing out that it was a time when the rich abused the poor wherever they lived.

DeletedUser6695

I see your point but the potato famine shouldn't have had any affect on Ireland except Britain continued to export our goods