Advice?

Maggie Wallis

Reaction score
Take a day off.. go out, get drunk, get laid... enjoy yourself and forget all about school for a day...

You sound like your stressing yourself out, which will just be making you tired and will be hindering your ability to study and learn...

Your brain is just like any muscle... overwork it and not letting it rest because your stressing will just destroy it's ability and performance... it needs a rest and some fun too...

Yeah school is important and so are your exams... but what is the worse that can happen? Your fail, have to resist your last year and take the exams again? So what, you go to college a year later, get a job a year later.. who cares... they aren't worth destroying your life over...

Getting the work/life balance right is key... or as they used to say "work hard and play hard"...

P.s. What ego?!!?

P.P.s. It's ok to be scared... people that claim never to be scared are idiots... the clever ones embrace fear and use it to push themselves further...

Love you more... even if you failz...

Last edited:

DeletedUser8105

Taking exams is bound to be stressful because of what's at stake. You may be feeling a weight of expectation from your family to succeed. You may be afraid you're not good enough, or haven't worked hard enough. You may be scared of letting yourself down, or that you'll miss out on an university place.
If your stress levels rise too high for too long, it can be harmful both to you and to your chances.
Exams bring out the best in some people, and the worst in others.
Whatever the case, you may be in a situation where you have to do them. Remind yourself that you can only do your best and your best is all that you can do.
Also school teachers are an expert resource.
Sleep properly,quit drinking cofee,energy drinks etc.

Convince yourself you are going to do really well,it works :)

DeletedUser

Manc is right, tho I wouldnt get drunk or get laid, neither of those help you get you head in a better position.

I remember my exams, I never burdened myself too much with revision, often found it made my head go too goey, often just sent out on my own for a walk or sat at the beach just letting my head sort itself out..... Your still revising as you will be thinking about your work, but in a way that helps untangle the brain.

Give the brain cells some air and time to chill out.

And I got good gcses but failed my first year at college.... I now have 2 degrees so it didnt make too much difference messing one bit up, kinda like hitting a spike in start up ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I'll vouch for getting some air. I completed my last year of school last year, in the infamously bad Irish school system. Half of what kept me sane was getting out of the house for an hour or so, going for a walk in the fresh air with some music. You can clear you head and think clearly, zone out and forget about studying. Then you go back in, refreshed, and get more work done. Just don't worry about what you're not doing, pay attention to what you ARE doing. It's amazing how much actually sticks with you. And to be honest, failure isn't always a disaster. Where there's a will, there's a way. You can get around pretty much anything if you want it badly enough. Time flies when you're coming up to exams, which I suppose is a good thing :p

DeletedUser

Like the others who have posted here, I would recommend taking some time out to relax and chill out - do something you enjoy that will take your conscious mind away from your studies. Besides helping you relax and stop panicking - there's a lot of evidence that such periods are actually needed by the brain to allow the subconcious mind to "sort stuff out" as it where. Then when it comes to the exams, it will be immediately available from your subconcious when/if needed. Constant focus can have the opposite effect - thinking about it too much can actually block the subconscious - so it becomes much more difficult to remember when it comes to the exams.

Another bit of advice I would give is to practice doing exam questions during your revisions sessions - allowing yourself the same constraints as you will have in the actual exam (e.g. 20 minutes per question or whatever) so that when it comes to the real thing, it will not be unusual for you.

DeletedUser10816

relax - get some decent sleep - eat at regular times - and above all else, avoid unwanted distractions which will play on your mind! Doing well in exams is only partially down to how well you know your subject. An awful lot of it is down to how healthy your current mental state is; and that can be impacted on your every day routine, social circles, recreational activities, and even the food/drink you eat.

...Being tired, distracted or having the wrong priorities will impact negatively on your grades far more than most people would give it credit for!

Give yourself a structured daily routine, and keep to it - try to study at the same time of day that your exam is likely to be (maybe that weekends is the only time you'll be able to manage this?) - self discipline in that way is a step towards disciplining your mind to focus on your exams.

Its been quite a few years now since I did exams... my first lot of exams I breezed through without thinking, the second lot I was over confident and got distracted by errrm... online computer games... and didn't do so well. The final lot of exams I did in my early 20's I followed the above principals which someone else recommended to me at the time... and not only did I go into the exams feeling far more ready and prepared, but I came out of the exams satisfied that I'd done as well as I could - and the results came back as I expected each time.

DeletedUser

Have to say I concur with alot of what others have posted
A change is as good as a rest in some ways make sure when you are studying that you take regular breaks, watch some TV listen to music, walk the dog, kill a few nobles on TW :) do something.... ANYTHING which completely relaxes you for at least 30 minutes every 90 mins of so of studying
It sounds ridiculous it sounds like you'll be wasting precious time but your brain needs that down time to process the previous 90 minutes of slogging

Other things to remember, eat properly, sleep properly, don't overdo the coffee (or red bull)
I wouldn't recommend the get drunk & get laid theory but that's probably because I have kids of my own LOL

At the back of your mind try to remember that things are NEVER as bad as they seem
Even if you do completely and utterly **** up your exams this year you CAN REPEAT

In my experience (and I have taken lots of exams in my time) when you get into the exam hall and look at the paper lots of things will flood back to you

relax CF in 2 years time you won't understand what you were so stressed over in 2012
Believe me, we've all been there

DeletedUser

In my humble opinion (For what it's worth) neither getting drunk nor getting laid will help CF with this

DeletedUser

Quit TW till there over.......easy pass then

Edit: Luls noticed the shy bit, you shy???? Ha!
Get someone to start an online study group, we had one for ma 5thyear exams, albeit mostly it was a group msn chat but helped I have to admit.

DeletedUser

Get a girlfriend and talk her head off. Vent. Vent like crazy.

DeletedUser

Venting is for females. It's why they eventually get heat flashes, they don't vent quite efficiently enough to avoid overheating.

Spamming is for..... well you it seems :)

BTW CF did find study partners usefull for discussing through topics, I found it easier on the brain to understand things than more standard revision techniques.

DeletedUser

Venting is for females. It's why they eventually get heat flashes, they don't vent quite efficiently enough to avoid overheating.

Nauz I'm disappointed I thought you were a better man than that
If I met you i'd have you venting alright... hyper ventilating that is :icon_wink:

DeletedUser6695

Thanks guys <3

Close this thread now please

DeletedUser

Good luck CF

The Irish points system is skewed as it only rewards those who know how to cram for exams and those who can relax on the day. it would be much better if it also rewarded coursework and effort put in by the student for the previous two years as well.

You've received a heap of good advice from others here. So all I can do really is echo their advice and wish you the very best of luck. You come across as level headed and brainy so go knock their socks off or whatever you young kids do these days.

Nauzhror

Reaction score
Good luck CF

The Irish points system is skewed as it only rewards those who know how to cram for exams and those who can relax on the day. it would be much better if it also rewarded coursework and effort put in by the student for the previous two years as well.

Most of the best test-takers don't cram. A large portion don't even study.

If anything school systems reward coursework far too highly. It's to the point where someone can ace every test/quiz/exam, yet still fail the course if they don't do the coursework in a lot of cases. On the other extreme doing all the coursework but bombing the quizzes/tests/exams usually guarantees that you pass. Why is it that effort is held in a higher light than competency? I don't care how hard someone tries, if they don't succeed on the exams then they likely didn't actually learn the material; and if teaching students the material isn't the goal when teaching a class then what is?