Agents of the dark arts

DeletedUser11866

How far do you guys think spies can A. bring down a tribe or B. change the course of a war

P.S. Sorry for all the threads just really bored and didn't go out tonight

DeletedUser11866

True, so if you're saying if everything was done in secrecy and mails a spy would have no effect ?

DeletedUser9598

Depends how good the spy is too, a really good spy can be devastating

DeletedUser12875

I know for sure there is at least one spy in your tribe (cough)me(cough)

DeletedUser11866

Well what if the spy wasn't actually doing anything but passing on information

DeletedUser12834

What if a spy works his way up too baron status then destroys the tribe. Thats quite devastating!

DeletedUser9598

Well what if the spy wasn't actually doing anything but passing on information

Passing info can kill a tribe, troop counts, which vils are off/deff, noble claims, OP targets, landing times, diplo etc etc

DeletedUser11866

aye but I meant in the sense that the tribe was well adopted to the risk of spies and most things were done in secrecy, then would it be worth having a spy ?

DeletedUser12834

aye but I meant in the sense that the tribe was well adopted to the risk of spies and most things were done in secrecy, then would it be worth having a spy ?

Our tribe is run like that, primarily through skype and mails rather than forums. Works well to keep the info to yourself and the person interested!

However, we dont really recruit outsiders so we are ok

DeletedUser9598

Sure makes life harder for a spy :)

DeletedUser

Popping back on the forums for an hour while I am waiting for my tea to finish up.

Depends on how the tribe runs really, so hard to say

Completely agree with this, a tribe with poor leadership will run ops/important information through the whole tribe allowing all information to be picked up by any spies inside. A good leader would know what info is okay to keep inside forums and what info should be sent privately in PM's.

Many other things go into also but in the end a spy can only effect a tribe as much as the leadership allows it.

~ Scientist

DeletedUser

I normally operate in the mindset that every tribe has spies, and that with Skype they are impossible to locate. With that in mind, it's simply a case of being sensible what is put in the tribal forum.

Kilroy

DeletedUser3371

I'm right behind Baz on this 1. It all depends on the spy ofc and how smart and motivated he or she is but if their intention is to destroy a tribe from within then it is more than just possible and I would go as far as likely to.

If self preservation is the motive behind the spy's actions which is what drives 99% of them, then you are far more likely to find them. This type of spy typically destroy's morale when the members find out and usually a number of members become either too focused on finding the spy or disillusioned that not everybody else loves the tribe the way they do.

How he affects morale in the short term comes down to the leadership and the short term actions that partially counter the spy's access to info.

Eventually though, the information filters down to everybody 1 way or another and as often as not a spy will learn more from others who are willing to talk about the tribe in general than from what is on the forums.

How the enemy use a spy is also crucial to the effects he has on your members ... most are revealed unintentionally. Then most handler's kick themselves for the mistake. Others though can intentionally leak what they have as PnP and the fallout from this when done well it is usually devastating.

Lastly, when a is a spy most useful. If you have 1 on UK19 then the chances are you are not in a position to act on more than 1/10th of the information you receive and the information regarding another tribe is changing so rapidly that last weeks news is usually just that. Basically about as helpful as the Scientist! :icon_redface: Imo, the later the game and the longer the spy has been in the enemy tribe the more harm a spy can do.

If ever there was a "Handling a spy guide", to be written then asking Nitrogen to do it, would be my first choice. Do some checking on the effects of well run spies on both worlds that he has won as duke and then come back and say they can't do much ... if you dare.

DeletedUser11866

Good replies here, what I was thinking but wanted to get the general perspective of the community on this subject

DeletedUser

Spies are as much a part of the game as axes are, always assume there is one and keep all sensitive stuff on a need to know basis. Knowing there is a spy can have its advantages if public forums,chat etc are used for mis-information. Spies are a bit like shoplifters, handy for cheap stuff but no one respects them.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser5774

I normally operate in the mindset that every tribe has spies, and that with Skype they are impossible to locate. With that in mind, it's simply a case of being sensible what is put in the tribal forum.

Kilroy

That isn't necessarily the case, after all, we just found out Prolax was on the R7.Daugon account, within fives minutes of me coming online :icon_cool:

DeletedUser12564

Pro was playing drag! You don't tell internals but you tell externals? Ok …