Anyone studying English?

DeletedUser

Hey..

Does anyone of you study English? To be more specific, as this is what I'm really searching for: Does anyone here know the international phonetic alphabet and knows how to apply it on English words?

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

DeletedUser

So you want to know the writing of English words as they are pronounced using International Phonetic Alphabet?

If that is so, you can get that from the dictionaries. Both online and book format.

DeletedUser

The problem is that I have to use it in an exam and I have some problems with a couple of things. I need someone who can explain it to me.

DeletedUser

[th]As much as I know ShinyNights, this is more a request for how to generally find out how to apply the International Phonetic Alphabet on any English word rather that to find out a particular word's IPA writing. Latter could be done easily by browsing/searching most of the online dictionaries as mentioned already.

ShinyNights is looking for someone to show her how to use the IPA. Preferably a native speaker, but that's no must-have.[/th]

DeletedUser

[la]This is the best I can do to help you.

This site shows the phonetic alphabet in relation to their most common English phrases (and sound),
and most dictionaries, if searching a word, will spell the word phonetically. Together (this site and a dictionary) these might be able to help you. And I'm sorry if I've been no help at all. :(

http://www.antimoon.com/how/pronunc-soundsipa.htm[/la]

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

A...........alpha
B............bravo
C............charlie
D...........delta
E............echo
F............foxtrot
G.............golf
H............hotel
I.............india
J............juliet
K............kilo
L............lima
M...........mike
N...........november
O...........oscar
P...........papa
Q..........quebec
R...........romeo
S...........sierra
T...........tango
U............uniform
V............victor
W...........whiskey
X............xray
Y............yankee
Z............zulu

Phonetic alphabet used by British armed forces, air traffic control etc. Internationally recognised.

DeletedUser

If you need any more help, PM me, and I'll set up a skype chat with you.

DeletedUser282

A...........alpha
B............bravo
C............charlie
D...........delta
E............echo
F............foxtrot
G.............golf
H............hotel
I.............india
J............juliet
K............kilo
L............lima
M...........mike
N...........november
O...........oscar
P...........papa
Q..........quebec
R...........romeo
S...........sierra
T...........tango
U............uniform
V............victor
W...........whiskey
X............xray
Y............yankee
Z............zulu

Phonetic alphabet used by British armed forces, air traffic control etc. Internationally recognised.

I'm fairly sure he was looking for phonetics, which is writing something as it would be said, if this is the case then the information you have just provided would be totally useless.

For example the word "and" is not pronounced "alphanovemberdelta"