Bal0ns' Replacement for Experience

DeletedUser8621

We've heard it all before "TribalWars is just too complex to follow guides", "You just need to learn from experience!". While I do agree with getting out there and doing it is the best form of knowledge, this guide will (hopefully) point you in the right direction.

Now, I am no legend, and really have only been playing for a couple of years on .net servers, and .uk servers for not even a year now. On the contrary, I have learned from the legends, have picked up strategies, and will implement ideas from all over into this guide. This guide is not for everyone and I encourage everyone to read everything you can. These are only my opinions on strategies and everyone does not think the same :)

All ideas in the start-up section are based on NEW worlds. Not late-game start-up.

Let's begin :)

Chapter 1: Start-up

1. Basic Ideas of Start-Up

You will first notice a tutorial, if you are a new player then it will probably give you a basic idea of Tribalwars. If you are not a new player, quickly click next a bunch of times :DD In completing the tutorial you will recieve some resources and 5 spears! Congratulations! As you will see via your tutorial you are sending troops to the "Abandoned Villages", commonly known as "barbarian villages" or "barbs". This is called farming, the most important idea behind the game! Basically, it is sending your troops to barbarian villages (and other players!) in the area. Farming players is much more beneficial. For start-up you will have to do with barbs because of beginner protection which allows you 3-5 days (Settings vary) to build up your area without being attacked by other players. Activity is probably the first or second most important thing depending on the type of player you ask. Some say activity, others say farming. Although, they go hand-in-hand pretty much :D

2. How to Build Your Village and Farm Efficiently

Now that you understand 2 important concepts, farming and activity, let's move on into the more deeper section of TW :) The beginning of the game is the most important part, it prepares you for your future! It's the highschool of Tribalwars, if you will :) You can do very well, and go far.....or...not so great! Honestly, I'm better at TW highschool, then school itself ;) Anyways, enough silly business. As said before, farming is VERY important! So building troops is your first goal! If the paladin is active in the world you are playing, start by constructing a statue and build the pally. You probably want to farm with your 5 spears and the pally. Make sure too farm multiple barbs in order to farm the most efficient. After you have done this, or pally is not active, you can go 1 of two ways!

Option 1 (Way of the Resources): If your resource pits (Timber, Iron, and Clay) are NOT constructed, this is probably your best option. In worlds where pits are not constructed, I like to up Iron to level 1, Clay to level 2 or 3, and Timber to level 3 or 4 (all depending on the amount of available barbs). This may take a couple of farming runs and may take awhile. After you have upped your mines, your next goal is building spearmen. Up your Headquarters (HQ) to level 3, and build barracks. You should be sending out your 5 spears, and pally to another barb as soon as they arrive back home. Now start cranking out spears! NEVER stop making them in this point of the game. They will pay themselves back via farming.

Option 2 (Way of the Spear): This option skips the building resource step, and moves right into cranking out spears! This is better for worlds where mines have already been pre-established for you :) This is my preferred way to do things. Build HQ to level 3 and construct barracks. Start Cranking out spears! As said previously, NEVER stop making spears at this point in game. Always have some being constructed.

Once you are farming effectively and building spears, spend extra resources on building pits. I usually keep iron at level 1 and upgrade wood to level 5-6 and keep clay at 3-4 (Again, all depending on amount of barbs in the area). You may ask well how many units should i send when I farm? Yet another controversial topic! In the beginning I think 7 spears to a barb is good, and 3 spears with a pally. This is only when all you have is spears though! Remember to farm your whole 20x20 area! Not just 2 barbs around you.

Your next step is getting axes! Build the HQ to level 5 and construct a smithy to level 2 and research axes. This could take a lot of farming and probably will not be able to build until at least 50 spears or more. Now you can start mixing spears and axes. I like to have around 70-80 spears and 20-30 axes. 5 axes and 5 spears is a common farming combination, but i think 3 spears and 5 axes is more effective as you can use the left over spears to farm by themselves and with the pally.

3. The Last Hours of Beginner Protection

In about the last 4 hours of beginner protection, it is advisable to build wall to level 1, and about 10 swordsmen. This is totally optional, and will depend on the player points around you! The 10 swords and level 1 wall will give you a nice minimal protection for when you are offline though :)

4. The First Hours of the Ending of Beginner Protection

In the first hours you will want to clear the people who have already left the game! Points will probably be in the 70's, just remember there will be 5 spears (at least) in every village! Axes are your offensive troops, so send an amount you feel comfortable sending with (you can use the troop simulator in your rally point for this). Clear these villages and farm them just as you would a normal barb! (Considering you know they are inactive). Also, i would start attacking players under 120 points. Your offence is your best defence. If you clear out all threats in early-game, you will have nothing to worry about later on. If a player is above 122 points, they most likely have swords, which you won't wanna go near until a nice amount of axes :) When taking on the active players who are under 120 points, it is advisable to send all the axes you have and your pally. Farm these guys with more axe heavy attacks, so that they cannot rebuild troops :)

If you realize you are receiving some attacks you can do a couple things!

Option 1 (Dodge and Waste): This is probably your best bet for early game. Simply send off all of your troops on farming runs, and make sure NO troops come back before the attack will hit. With your resources, you can spend them on building pits, or troops. That way the attacker will recieve no resources and kill no troops :) You will not be able to dodge ALL the time, so make sure and rid of this player and teach him who's boss ;)

Option 2 (Come and Get it): This option is a little more luck infused. Simply send off all of your AXES on farming runs and make sure NONE of them arrive before attack hits. You will be letting your spears, swords, and wall do the damage to your opponent. This is not really advised unless you made a lot of swords.

If you a recieving competition in gaining resources from your precious farms, then spiking is for you! Spiking is a technique in which you can support your farms and kill your opponents farming troops! You can send swords to multiple farms in the area, or just one! If you are spiking just one village at a time, make sure and switch it around some in order to fully annoy your opponent ;) This is also a great way to earn OD during beginner protection :)

If this receives good review and helps people out, then I will continue writing with further chapters. If it does not, then I have failed you. :( These are all my own ideas I have picked up. Feel free to critique, praise, or bash!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

+1 obviously,,,,, but in my skim read I noticed nothing about LC, surely the importance of their farminf efficiency in regards to speed and haul must be included even in a new player guide such as this....

EDIT: And also maybe a little comment needed that do farming runs with axes if your first vill is going to be offence, but I like 5sp 5swd runs so would use that if I am going defence. For new players using this guide a more defensive start might be best....

DeletedUser8621

I was going to include LC but figured I would stop and let people critique it and let me know if it's good or not before i waste my time typing it all up :p Will get busy on LC stuff and maybe an option in the beginning whether to take the defensive/offensive route?

DeletedUser

Good stuff. Perhaps worth mentioning that it requires a lot of activity to pull off an axe-spear start up. Occasional players (of which there are many) may do better with more swords and a bigger wall (and possibly bigger mines) rather than investing in axes.

Not sure about this bit: "This is also a great way to earn OD during beginner protection :)" - I think that's just wrong.

DeletedUser8687

Good stuff. Perhaps worth mentioning that it requires a lot of activity to pull off an axe-spear start up. Occasional players (of which there are many) may do better with more swords and a bigger wall (and possibly bigger mines) rather than investing in axes.

your right about the activity part in uk 9 i used an axe spear start up :icon_eek: But +1 for guide. Some good stuff in there :)

DeletedUser8621

Thanks for the inputs :) will be sure to implement all these ideas when I continue writing the rest of it. Hoping to have the next section out by Wednesday or Thursday night :)

DeletedUser

Sword/sp start up is better than axe/spear in almost every way.

DeletedUser1511

First of all "I have learned from the legends, have picked up strategies, and will implement ideas from all over into this guide."
Can you name which "legends" exactly taught you the stuff you are saying in this guide. Because i want to know what they are legendary for cause it certainly aint knowledge or skill :icon_neutral:
Your next step is getting axes! Build the HQ to level 5 and construct a smithy to level 2 and research axes. This could take a lot of farming and probably will not be able to build until at least 50 spears or more. Now you can start mixing spears and axes. I like to have around 70-80 spears and 20-30 axes. 5 axes and 5 spears is a common farming combination, but i think 3 spears and 5 axes is more effective as you can use the left over spears to farm by themselves and with the pally.

Assuming your guide is aimed at newer or less skilled players i question why you have them going for axes and such a horrible split. Axes cost money to research and are useful for agressive farming and clearing your area if you really need to. None of these things are things a new player will be doing. Heck having newer players start with using spears/sword combination means that they can spike the bigger farmers, as well as having defense from axes if they are attacked. And yes i know you state to building around 10 swords. But better to have 20-30 swords to farm with than 20-30 axes when farming is not going to drastically imporve.
Also can i just ask since when 5/5 became a common farming combination. 5/2 12/3 1/1 5/3. Spear/swords/axes Ratios are common. I have yet to come across 5/5 and i have played a load of worlds. Care to share which legends or worlds you joined where this was common use :icon_neutral:

Deleted User - 695343

I'm with Wardy here - who are these so-called legends who have given you such awful advice that you feel the need to pass on? It's a start-up strategy, yes, but it is a very bad and very slow one that I would highly recommend against using, for reasons already outlined above. I salute you for the effort, but would not recommend any new player take said advice. :/

DeletedUser8621

"This guide is not for everyone and I encourage everyone to read everything you can. These are only my opinions on strategies and everyone does not think the same"

As said^

Simply trying to add another strategy for newer players, never said it was the best. & i am currently only on uk7 where i was with TuToR. Also played .net 23, 27 and 32.

DeletedUser

I think that as start-up strat guides go, this is better than most. It's easy to follow, but more importantly bal0ns explains why he takes each next step. This is much better than one of those guides that just lists a sequence of instructions to be followed.

I think it would give a new player a much better head start than most guides I've read. I also think it's fairly conservative in approach. I'm tempted to post my typical start-up strategy just for the controversy.

DeletedUser

Would also agree with a fair bit of Wardy's post.

The only world settings where axes before lc is advised are 10-tech worlds or worlds that have unit speed so high that you can afford to research axes while still constantly building towards lc at the same time.

Postponing lc in favor of axes just simply isn't a viable strategy if the goal is to be high ranked at startup. Postponing lc for loads and loads of spears is the only viable startup method that doesn't revolve around lc in fact IMO since spears can potentially farm enough to run constant queues, whereas axes are rather poor farmers. Additionally axes are more or less useless early on since there's more than enough inactives to not need to clear new farms to have 24/7 concurrent queues.

Farming parties I would use are more along the lines of:

2 sw 2 sp
3 sw 5 sp
4 sw 11 sp
5 sw (any number of spears over 11, essentially as large as possible, while retaining the ability to get full hauls)

DeletedUser

Farming parties I would use are more along the lines of:

2 sw 2 sp
3 sw 5 sp
4 sw 11 sp
5 sw (any number of spears over 11, essentially as large as possible, while retaining the ability to get full hauls)

Why these particular combinations? Are those the minimum number of swords to guarantee the spears don't die if no wall or... what?

DeletedUser

Personally I'm more worried about players around the 91 point mark, not 122 points. Each to their own!

DeletedUser6695

"This guide is not for everyone and I encourage everyone to read everything you can. These are only my opinions on strategies and everyone does not think the same"

As said^

Simply trying to add another strategy for newer players, never said it was the best. & i am currently only on uk7 where i was with TuToR. Also played .net 23, 27 and 32.

I learned most of what I know in TuToR and I can safely say most of what you said was not taught there

DeletedUser8621

I learned most of what I know in TuToR and I can safely say most of what you said was not taught there

Never said it was taught in TuToR, if you don't like it, you don't like it. There are a number of different strategies to play in Tribalwars & this is just another one. I never said it was the best, & i also suggested to read around & find something that works for you.