Bot protection

DeletedUser

I think this stands more chance of annoying genuine, premium buying, players than it does of seriously inconveniencing cheats - they'll just find a way round while the rest of us stop enjoying the game!

DeletedUser

I've been affected by this bot. One occasion I was sniping a train. Another I was resource balancing (the source of Jamies quote is myself). Its activated when Ive been farming too.

Its annoying, infuriating, but necessary. I have played with members who routinely used bots, to great effect. It gave them an unfair advantage. The only way to stop them, is the bot detector.

None of us, including TW staff, like this, but a few, selfish individuals are to blame, for wanting to cheat to win.

DeletedUser

This new bot thing is starting to infuriate myself. Some pride themselves on skill with regard to this game ... and yet now its done to "luck".

I will fully agree that cheats must be both found and banned. And by banned, I don't think an email address is really that sufficient, you ban the ip address from playing in the TW community, you'll find the problem starts to dwindle.

On catching these foes though. I agree it is in everyones best interests to have some form of bot capture, but for the second time in as many months you've (Tribal Wars) have come up with tthe wrong solution.

A simple compromise would be that all your attacks / supports are actually sent out, they're tagged with BOT or something so the server knows these are currently being looked at. The player then has a few minutes to actually type the numbers / letters in and this then cancels the BOT tag. If the player doesn't type fullfill the bot request, well after a specific time limit then all tags with bot become cancelled.

So far I've been hit with this bot request somewhere in the region of about 6-7 times in one full 24 hr period on the one account. Every single one was when I was running bookmarks, it is rather annoying but I've been lucky so far. There's those that haven't been so lucky.

This IN MY OPINION needs to be looked into as a matter of urgency.

DeletedUser

This new bot thing is starting to infuriate myself. Some pride themselves on skill with regard to this game ... and yet now its done to "luck".

I will fully agree that cheats must be both found and banned. And by banned, I don't think an email address is really that sufficient, you ban the ip address from playing in the TW community, you'll find the problem starts to dwindle.

On catching these foes though. I agree it is in everyones best interests to have some form of bot capture, but for the second time in as many months you've (Tribal Wars) have come up with tthe wrong solution.

A simple compromise would be that all your attacks / supports are actually sent out, they're tagged with BOT or something so the server knows these are currently being looked at. The player then has a few minutes to actually type the numbers / letters in and this then cancels the BOT tag. If the player doesn't type fullfill the bot request, well after a specific time limit then all tags with bot become cancelled.

So far I've been hit with this bot request somewhere in the region of about 6-7 times in one full 24 hr period on the one account. Every single one was when I was running bookmarks, it is rather annoying but I've been lucky so far. There's those that haven't been so lucky.

This IN MY OPINION needs to be looked into as a matter of urgency.
A few things:
IP's are detected and in many cases banned (for repeat offenders).
There is a solution/improvement (probably something where you have 30 seconds to enter the captcha before you are locked out) coming out with version 7.1
when running bookmarks, enter the captcha once and then refresh the other pages, or close and reopen, much quicker than entering captcha 126 times.

DeletedUser2918

can i ask how much of a problem this has been found to be on .uk (players using bots). Because i haven't heard of any players being accused of it......

because if its a small problem, and no-ones complaining about it......but people do complain about the 'solution' then perhaps there needs to be a re-think?

DeletedUser6695

I have heard of 3-4 players using bots on the uk server, I know one was rank 1 on a world.

But surely the usage of bots is extremely minimal, also players like abdo and rev seem to get on quite well without using bots so teh problem isnt that Big?

Nauzhror

Reaction score
I have heard of 3-4 players using bots on the uk server, I know one was rank 1 on a world.

But surely the usage of bots is extremely minimal, also players like abdo and rev seem to get on quite well without using bots so teh problem isnt that Big?

so because not every single top ranked player is a botter botting isn't an issue?

DeletedUser

Adellion and Grant are a start.... I don't know about others but I am sure there are more than you can imagine

DeletedUser

Well I reckon I have to type the numbers in at least 5 times a day since this started a few days ago, and its doing my nut in :/

DeletedUser6695

so because not every single top ranked player is a botter botting isn't an issue?

Come on Nauz your an intelligent fellow, I said its not a big issue :icon_wink:

It obviously is an issue but it seems to be doing more harm than good atm

DeletedUser4

[tt]I have fiddled with the settings to see if I can improve things regarding bot protection but also to catch the botters. In an ideal world we would not need to take these actions but unfortunately that isnt the case and Im sure you would all rather we catch the cheaters than allow them to continue [/tt]

DeletedUser

I've actually stopped farming cause if it.

I really can't be bothered going through the motions of opening 50-60 web pages, they all open fine, then running through them hitting the attack button and then getting to the last one and noticing I've got a bot thing to fill in. so ya fill it in, close all your tabs down and then open all the tabs again ... the act of Bookmarking is all designed to speed up the process of farming, and yet this totally daft idea of bot protection counteracts the idea of bookmarking by slowing the whole process down.

The more I think about it the more I am actually thinking that this is a deal breaker for me.

I knew that Grant had used a bot and also knew that several others on UK4 had used a botting method to farm with so yes there is a problem. But innogames wheren't overly keen at the time in looking into the matter so why's it all of a sudden become the be all and end all.

I say we stand up for our rights, this CHANGE HAS GONE TOO FAR. Tribal Wars if they're to find a solution to this problem should consult the players on what they're wanting to achieve and make it so there is little to NO impact on us non-illegal players.

For all of you who then think that heh, the Rev must be using a bot cause he's annoyed at this.
On UK7 the record for most hauled in a day was 6.25 mil up until this bot system came into place. It just so happens I was having a bad day at work and had to pull a full 24 hrs ... and so hauled 11.25 mill but had to type the stupid bot protection thing in I swear at least 7 times but probably more.

I'm now finding that by clicking on a random link to goto a different villa I'm also being asked to for the bot protection password.

You're really starting to have a laugh.

DeletedUser4

[tt]Morthy is already working on ways to improve the bot protection with version 7.1 but with the changes I have just made it will trigger a lot less than it has up to now [/tt]

DeletedUser

[tt]I have fiddled with the settings to see if I can improve things regarding bot protection but also to catch the botters. In an ideal world we would not need to take these actions but unfortunately that isnt the case and Im sure you would all rather we catch the cheaters than allow them to continue [/tt]

Yeah we'd love all these botters to be found and banned for life ... but this is not an ideal world.
You say that .co.uk would prefer to find the cheaters, tell me this. How come Ade's account was allowed to continue after the find with his punishment set to (removal of a few villas), how come the Smile? account still exists on UK4?

In my opinion your view is once found we'll give them a punishment and then allow them to continue. You're the blame for this. We the players want a hardline stance from our games supplied. If found then the account is removed from the world and the ip address is set to not allowed to play any .co.uk servers (umm, if you can pass that onto all tribal wars servers is another thing but I'd go as far as saying as that should be the case as well)

I'd also like to add in that their forum id's / personalities should also be removed so that they can no longer lay claim to those too. We WANT punishment to be the idea, not this weak effort of losing a couple of villas.

Triarii2D

Reaction score
So how many recorded cases of players using bots do we have on uk servers?

If it is a big problem then we need to alert the whole community via monthly mails, and perhaps even offer a reward if someone can provide proof, say for example a quote on a forum or on skype leading to the players actions being monitored by the staff and being found guilty of it (if it can be fund out) then the player recieves a small amount of PP if it leads to someone being found out?

DeletedUser3194

I know Engel on world 5 was found to be using a bot and his account was deleted immediately, it'd be interesting to know why Grant got away with it on the Smile? account on world 4 (with the loss of a few villages) and yet Engel's account was deleted on world 5. Are there differences in the types of bots they were using or something? As I don't really understand how they work or what they are.

DeletedUser5528

I know Engel on world 5 was found to be using a bot and his account was deleted immediately, it'd be interesting to know why Grant got away with it on the Smile? account on world 4 (with the loss of a few villages) and yet Engel's account was deleted on world 5. Are there differences in the types of bots they were using or something? As I don't really understand how they work or what they are.

I would imagine one would have appealed and the other didn't. Any ban has to be appealed to stop the deletion of an account.

DeletedUser9051

Ok first am not happy about the bot codes but see why they are necessary. However, you lose a villa as you miss your snipe and you are being punished for others misdeeds?

So we are a community and this is a game. So when folk are caught why can;t their names be posted up and their account banned so we name and shame so to speak.

I mean I have had tribe mates lose 20% of their villas for a dubious account sitting infraction and yet you use a bot and you lose just 50%?

My tribemate caused minimal disruption (but broke rules in letter if not spirit so fairs fair) but if you bot we all lose out if just farming, switching pages or more importantly a snipe. Ok so if you have a big account one missed snipe not the end of the world but say is a few weeks into world? Not on. 50% for botting is not in same ballpark/nay city as a minor account sitting infraction?

Next. Seen a post from a mod saying he played with folks who were botting and gave them advantage? I mean am speechless. Why aren;t they reported and banned?

Finally, would hate for folk to make it to No 1 legitimately and then be flamed for botting (remember the dumb thread about mods being allowed to play other worlds as they were all cheats?) by jealous petty minded folk? We need to know that a player is No1 because active and great at the game and not be smeared by accusations of cheating.

We need to stamp this out. If you bot you're banned 100% no comeback no excuses. Name them shame them and maybe we can get rid of them. Plus if a co played account then again ban them all as no way you wouldn;t know.

As for the now yes can put up with the code entering but lets get V7.1 out quickly please and lets get these cheats removed.

On a lighter note if I get rimmed in Uk8 then of course I missed snipe because of a bot code! You heard it here first!

DeletedUser8807

i dont have a problem with the protection ive only had to type it in 4 times sice it started

DeletedUser

i dont have a problem with the protection ive only had to type it in 4 times sice it started

Really?
I've had to do it 6 times today and missed a snipe because of it (W55 though). It's good to hear it's being worked on though.