[Calculation] Morale

DeletedUser

The basic concept of morale is explained >here<.

You may want to note:
1) Only the attacker's troops are affected by morale.
2) The attacker's scouts are not affected by morale.
3) Siege damage (wall-bonus negation as well as downgrading buildings) is not affected by morale.

The minimum morale is 25%, there will be no penalty until the attacker exceeds 3 times the points of the defender, and every 5 days that the defender has been playing will increase the attacker's morale by 1%, up to 50%

If you want to do the math yourself :
time-based morale modifier:
Code:
step 1) morale = 3*[defender points]/[attacker points] + 0.25
step 2) if the morale is less than 50%, then proceed to step 3. If the morale is greater than or equal to 50%, then skip ahead to step 5.
step 3) add [days played]/500 to the morale from step 1
step 4) if the morale from step 3 is greater than 50%, change it to 50%.
step 5) you now have the final morale.

That was kind of a crappy explanation :lol:
This might make more sense if you're familiar with javascript:
Code:
morale = 3 * defenderPoints / attackerPoints + 0.25;
if(morale < 0.5){
	morale += daysPlayed / 500;
	if(morale > 0.5)
		morale = 0.5;
}

The attacker's troops' offense is multiplied by the morale modifier.
An axeman that normally has 40 attack will only have 30 attack when fighting with a modifier of .75 (75% morale)
Morale only ever gives a penalty, which means that the modifier can never exceed 1.

As far as I'm aware, morale is rounded to the nearest percent (1/100).
If the defender has been playing for 2 days the morale will increase by 0% (0.004 rounds to 0.00)
If the defender has been playing for 3 days the morale will increase by 1% (0.006 rounds to 0.01)
Some worlds might not have time-based morale. On these worlds the minimum morale is 30, so the calculation is as follows:

morale modifier:
Code:
3*[defender points]/[attacker points] + 0.3

DeletedUser

Nice work. Always good to know the maths behind it all.

However, I have always thought that the attacker's points had to be at least 4 times the defender's for morale to kick into action. That's what the simulator has always told me.

Unless i'm missing something?

DeletedUser

However, I have always thought that the attacker's points had to be at least 4 times the defender's for morale to kick into action. That's what the simulator has always told me.

Could you share some sample data that give you that result?

please include:
attacker's points, defender's points, number of days the defender has been playing, server subdomain

I might be wrong :icon_cry:

DeletedUser

As attacker ->

Attacker's points - 120,000
Defender's play time - 1 day

Defender's points -> morale
40,000 -> 100% (1/3 points)
39,000 -> 100% (just less than 1/3 points)
30,000 -> 100% (1/4 points)
29,719 -> 99% (just less than 1/4 points)

Obviously that's not realistic because no-one would be on 30k points after 1 day.

After 90 days the defender's points required to get 99% morale is down to 22,600 (less than 1/5 points).