Changing an A Level

DeletedUser

Hey,

First of all, to set some context, my preferred field in later life is journalism. I took English language, English literature, history and ICT, playing both to my strengths and to my general impression of a journalist's criteria. However, after a few lessons of English literature, I am finding myself mind-numbingly distraught.

A summary of my issues with this subject:
- Repetition of the same task on similar texts, virtually every lesson. The worst part is that these are largely subjective, anyway.
- Utter lack of autonomy - everything is done as a group, on the same material. That's not how I like to work.
- I'm not even sure of its relevance to journalism, currently. English language covers anything I might need, as far as I can see.
- I generally dislike the topic and become negative throughout the day when I have it.

I'm considering taking geography instead, both because I find it infinitely more interesting and I genuinely feel it would be more pivotal than literature.

Are these valid reasons to drop a subject? Any insight on the journalism field? Is it worth changing quickly, so I have little work to catch up on, or should I leave it a little longer to test the water, but risk more content to establish upon in geography?

Thanks,

Liam

DeletedUser857

If you don't like it drop it as soon as possible. I dropped English for economics at A level - the catchup work was minimal, and i've never looked back. The longer you delay the more of a problem you create for yourself, that would be my advice.

Of course, if journalism requires English dropping is defiantly not a good idea.

DeletedUser7369

I love that you feel TW forums are the best place to seek sound educational advice. I think your faith may be a little misplaced.

I would very quickly look at journalism courses and identify their entry criteria. I consider it highly unlikely that a grasp of the importance of Chaucer, Shakespeare or the Bronte's are going to be a significant requirement however you won't know unless you ask.

If the requirements are simply good a-levels then definitely drop the English Lit as you will do infinitely better at a subject that grabs your attention and is able to motivate you to learn than you will at a subject you find dull and uninspiring.

Whatever happens good luck you daft fool.

DeletedUser

Thanks guys. :)

I'll check out the courses and discuss it with my year co-ordinator tomorrow.

DeletedUser10601

You'd be better placed in the forums of The Student Room, but from personal experience I did English Lit for the past 2 years at A Level and let me tell you now, it does not get better. At all. Ever.
Drop it as soon as you can if you don't think it's something you'll enjoy, lack of passion will lead to a worse grade than something you actually like.