Children of dead soldiers given Scholarships.

DeletedUser

Although I'm sure its a popular decision that might win them votes, I think that families of soldiers killed in action could be helped far more in other ways. Don't think they should fasttrack people through education unless they're very gifted.

DeletedUser

Wha do you mean 'is it right'?

Are you thinking of in terms that you feel there trying to compensate for a death of thier parent/s and its the wrong way to go about it e.g. its not enough for the sacrafice their parents made?

Or

Are you meaning in terms of it's unfair for them to be given an advantage over other young people who've worked hard for a university place and will miss out because the others who have lost parent/s are getting priority?

DeletedUser269

Although I'm sure its a popular decision that might win them votes, I think that families of soldiers killed in action could be helped far more in other ways. Don't think they should fasttrack people through education unless they're very gifted.

Why should only the gifted be "fasttracked". Do we not live in a culture where everyone is ment to be treat the same?

I think it's a totally acceptable way to spend money, rewarding the kids of true heroes. I bet our goverment wastes alot more money, on more stupid things!

DeletedUser

Why should only the gifted be "fasttracked". Do we not live in a culture where everyone is ment to be treat the same?

I think it's a totally acceptable way to spend money, rewarding the kids of true heroes. I bet our goverment wastes alot more money, on more stupid things!

if everyone is meant to be treated the same then why are these kids being allowed to be be 'fast tracked' into university, yet those others who come from poor backgrounds and can't afford the fee's miss out because these children are getting priority.....why aren't those other kid's being 'fast tracked' to a better education?
Because thier parent's died defending thier country is not really a good enough reason to justify this I feel, granted they are hero's of sorts, but it was thier choice to join the armed forces and they knew the risk's involved.

DeletedUser

Because some people are idiots and many people can't cope with the faster-paced courses.

DeletedUser613

The other stupid things your government wastes money on is ridiculous defense spending and the large bill for actually having this war in the first place.

DeletedUser

I do not mean to demean Soldiers or the work they do in any way but..

Before joining up for the army, Soldiers should know the risks. Going into the army is not risk free by a long shot, and so should always been attempted with caution. Especially in the current situation. In the calculations for whether the risk is worth it, they should factor in the well being of their children and spouse. If they decide that the army is worth it, then that is their decision.

But, I do agree it is such a tragedy that families end up without fathers, brothers and sons. But I do think there are other ways to compensate, Counseling would be a start.

DeletedUser

Idiots should be sent to other countries or used as forced labour to make cheap goods. If you think about it's quite a good idea. Produce some cheap quality goods. Use some of the prison population as well to increase production.

Oh and harvest their organs once their dead. Sell half the organs for $$$$$ and donate the rest. It's a win-win solution! The health system has a good supply of organs and the economy is improved because the human body is worth around Half a Million :p. Apart from idiots and criminals but who cares about them :icon_razz:

DeletedUser

I feel that although it would be nice for everyone to be treated the same, its an unrealistic concept. You get the chavs of this world who just want to sit at home on benefits and then there's people who are actually trying hard to get a better life.

I agree that we should ensure the kids of soldiers are looked after, just don't think this is the way. Maybe more emphasis should be put on the risks when people wish to sign up foor the army.

The government may waste money on stupid things, but you can't use that as a reason to waste more!

DeletedUser

I do not mean to demean Soldiers or the work they do in any way but..

Before joining up for the army, Soldiers should know the risks. Going into the army is not risk free by a long shot, and so should always been attempted with caution. Especially in the current situation. In the calculations for whether the risk is worth it, they should factor in the well being of their children and spouse. If they decide that the army is worth it, then that is their decision.

But, I do agree it is such a tragedy that families end up without fathers, brothers and sons. But I do think there are other ways to compensate, Counseling would be a start.

Yes, I agree with Olis on this one.

They sign up knowing that their death is likely to happen when they play real life COD... so its unfair on children to be put down the pecking order in universities due to their parents being alive.

Soldiers give their lifes to their country and their kids are given scholarships.
Docters give their lifes to save others, should their kids be giving scholarships?
Teachers spend their lives educating others so they can suceed in the world, should their kids also be given scholarships?

In a time where we're being told we have to cut back becuase we've(not us, just the ones in charge...) have over spent, I dont see how it can be okay to have potential spending in this way, which is unnessesary and unfair on other children trying to get to university.

DeletedUser

You get the chavs of this world who just want to sit at home on benefits and then there's people who are actually trying hard to get a better life.

Typical stereotyping.

I'm from Glasgow and for a very big part of my youth I was a 'Chav' with the berghaus and the buckfast at the wekends, but I still worked 30 hours during the week, 5 hours after I finished college and 5 on a saturday morning. Be that it was only in Asda, but it was still a job, I had to go on benifits in the summer after they made cut backs and I was only doing 10 hours a week. I feel I earned my benifits.

DeletedUser6726

I fully agree with this in many respects.

Being a former soldier myself, I have seen many families torn to pieces by deaths on operations.

Whilst this could be viewed as favoritism, the people of this country voted in the government that sent these soldiers to these war zones, knowing that not all of them would return.

When i was serving there were many times when i would have to walk away from conversations with people who did not believe that soldiers and their families deserved many of the things they are offered. 'It's only a job' was a common argument i would receive.

For the sacrifices that a family has had to bear i feel that this is only a small step towards relieving the hardships that Armed Forces families have to endure in the current climate of spending cutbacks in other departments.

DeletedUser

For the sacrifices that a family has had to bear i feel that this is only a small step towards relieving the hardships that Armed Forces families have to endure in the current climate of spending cutbacks in other departments.

The hardships are no diffrent if a parent of another child is killed doing his job e.g a train driver, provides a heavily needed service to the country, his train malfunctions in some way and causes a head on colission with another train. Why don't there children get 'fast tracked' through education? Or even any of he emergency services liek the police, firebrigade or amubalnce service??

DeletedUser

I fully agree with this in many respects.

Being a former soldier myself, I have seen many families torn to pieces by deaths on operations.

Whilst this could be viewed as favoritism, the people of this country voted in the government that sent these soldiers to these war zones, knowing that not all of them would return.

When i was serving there were many times when i would have to walk away from conversations with people who did not believe that soldiers and their families deserved many of the things they are offered. 'It's only a job' was a common argument i would receive.

I do think that soldiers and their families deserve some sort of privileges, since they to me: seem underpaid (if you start off low down), don't get the proper counseling after finishing their service (many don't know the symptoms of trauma) and can find it very difficult to adjust back to civilian life. It doesn't seem like much of a reward for putting your life on the line.

But, the people who choose to go into the army have made their choice and they should have taken into account all of those factors. Including their family etc... You can walk away from the army whenever you choose, of course it is at a major cost to yourself. But would you rather be poor and alive or not poor and dead.

People are killed in car accidents every day, people die from heart attacks and spontaneous accidents/illnesses. Yet their families don't get so much as a condolence.

The amount of soldiers dying in this war isn't very much, and it may be insensitive of me to say but I reckon the government have already decided that the war was a "success", a RELATIVELY small amount of casualties and they've managed to gain control in many regions (apart from a few), along with their precious oil. *Note: I do not believe it is a success, just speculating onto the beliefs of the government*

Personally, if a person has close family. I think it is wrong of them to willingly join the army, knowing the risks, knowing the pain that it could put their family through. If our country was ACTUALLY AT RISK then I would be one of the first to join up to protect my family. But at the moment, why would anyone join the armed forces?

DeletedUser

Also, with university fees expected to rise to around 12k per year as recent new suggests, having such a scholarship would make a university even unfairer on an average working class child.

DeletedUser

Was in the guardian today.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/oct/12/tuition-fees-vince-cable-liberal-democrat-revolt
Browne's recommendations mean that tuition fees could double from the autumn of 2012, and even go higher to as much as £12,000. Browne said there should be no formal cap, but he expected the average cost of fees to be £6,000 a year.

Yeah theres an article. But my parents just told me about it from the news.
Suppose 12grand a year is nothing to those who spend that money every year to send their kids to public schools. mind you it make sense when you compare who the people are who are making the desicions to the ones with kids in those schools....

DeletedUser

Yeah theres an article. But my parents just told me about it from the news.
Suppose 12grand a year is nothing to those who spend that money every year to send their kids to public schools. mind you it make sense when you compare who the people are who are making the desicions to the ones with kids in those schools....

You mean, private schools?