Consciousness ina Coma

DeletedUser

Ok, so a week and a half ago my mum, my sister and i were ina car crash. I broke my arm, my mum broke both her legs but my sister went into a coma...

She was not responding and i was getting worried, so earlier whilst visiting i was talking to her and asking her to come back to us. And 5 minutes later she woke up! :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

The doctors told us that familiar voices will help, i did not believe it at first but now i do.

So my question is this, how much are people aware of when they are in a coma?

/discuss.

DeletedUser

she said she can't remeber anything from after the crash. retrograde amnesia. I don't think people could remember specific things but i think the brain does pick stuff up

DeletedUser

Being unconscious is not simply a matter of flicking a switch to turn your mind on or off. It isn't that clear cut: there is a gradual difference between the two states. I did a first aid course a few years ago and we were taught that when you lose consciousness, the last sense you lose is your hearing. We were taught that even if the person you're helping appears unconscious and unresponsive, you should still talk them through what you are doing incase they can still hear you and are still aware in some way of what is going on.

It is possible that even though your sister was in a coma she could still hear those around her. Maybe she will remember that, maybe not. Either way, there is some truth to the idea that a familiar voice can help bring someone out of a coma.

And I'm glad to hear she came out of it ok!

DeletedUser

I think a Coma could(maybe does, never studied it) have different levels of severity. A VERY bad one and you could lose all senses and pretty much be a vegetable. A less severe one, like very minor, and it might be somewhat like falling asleep in class. You are pretty much unconscious, but you still pick up things you hear and don't really exit your mind(until you REALLY doze off).

DeletedUser

I THINK (personal oppinion. Could be 10000% wrong)
That entering a coma, would be like falling into a shallow sleep. You know, the kind where you can hear everything around you, but think it's part of your dream. But as your brain starts to recover, and possibly regain consiousness, things start to come out clearer and clearer. Until you are, awake yet again. It would be neat to actually wake up from a coma remembering all. But taking there word for it, is like taking the neer death experience peoples word for it.

"All I remember was a bright light."

btw, congrats for your sister mate. :) Happy to hear everyone is ok.

DeletedUser

You arnt turned off when your in a coma your brain still funcitons, although you way not be able to remember it ( hell your essentailly sleeping) your brain will more then likly pick up sounds.. a familliar voice could make yur brain work ( e.g i recognise the voice, who is it)
i dont know and its early :S

DeletedUser

The brain is so complex no-one can determine exactly what we are aware of.
What I do know is my ex husband was in an induced coma due to a severe head injury for which he suffered brain damage.. I read to him and visited him daily . He was totally unresponsive , he remembers nothing from before his accident which from start to leaving hospital was a number of months , but he did make a near full recovery , that is from brain damage too ..

I totally believe people in comas can not necessarily comprehend whats going on , but if they can hear you or smell you , your voice and aroma would be soothing to them and have a healing effect maybe. Or if they can't hear or see you we have other senses that may become heightened when our main senses fail and they are aware you are present even if they cannot hear ,feel, smell or remember you were there .

One thing that I will never forget is meeting a person who is 'brain damaged' , totally unable to communicate with you or I or do anything for himself... when he was 17 his mother found out about a means of communication where you steady the persons arm and they point at letters ... bearing in mind this lad had never spoken a word or communicated had no education to speak of.
Through this new method of communication he learned at 17 he was able to now tell people things about what happened in his childhood , this is a person who many people would have referred to as a cabbage.... I met this person ... I found it hard to believe he could communicate in this manner but I saw it for myself.
He then went on to do a degree using this method of communication... and I can tell you if you saw him you would not believe it....

The point is what we see is not always the full picture ... and the brain although it may not work in some areas other areas compensate and at the end of the day there is more to a body , that is just a shell. I believe we all have a spirit/soul and that is also responsive to people when our brain doesn't function so well.

Hope you are all recovering well btw <3

Lisa <3

DeletedUser

I totally believe people in comas can not necessarily comprehend whats going on , but if they can hear you or smell you , your voice and aroma would be soothing to them and have a healing effect maybe.

I read a book in which a boy went into a coma when he was hit by a car. He was there for ages, but he could always here what was going on and he kind of made friends with a nurse although he couldn't communicate with her. They tried everything to wake him up, they even had his fav footy player come in and sign his football shirt, but he didn't awake. And all through this the boy was trying to force his eyes open, but he couldn't.

Months later, his family were desperate. So they took in his dog, Lucky. Lucky jumped on his bed and licked his face, barking happily. In a few minutes, he had opened his eyes.

It really was a sad but interesting and uplifting book.