DaWolf85's Guide Library

DeletedUser11362

TheTWGuideLibrary.png

Each guide is rated according to the system described in the “Ratings System” spoiler, getting a score out of 100.
Click on a guide’s title to open it.

A Note From the Author
Welcome to the guide library! I just wanted to take a moment to explain what this library is all about. The intent of the original library was to simply provide a list of guides I had found. Since I first posted that version in .net’s W29 General Discussion section, my purpose in maintaining this library has changed. I now maintain this library not just as a repository of guides, but partly as a teaching tool in itself. I try to aim you, the reader, towards gaining more knowledge about the game of TribalWars. To this end, I supply you with a list of guides that I have rated for their helpfulness. These ratings are not necessarily all-encompassing - indeed, I design them so a 100/100 is the best guide in the library, rather than a mythical ‘perfect guide’ - but they do give you a rough idea of what to expect from each guide. This allows you to gain the most possible from each guide, because you know what to expect from it. My intention is essentially for this library to act as a self-guided course in TribalWars. Hopefully, it will be useful to you.

Now for some boring (but necessary) thank yous.
I’d like to thank Googly for helping me immensely with several aspects of this library. I’d like to thank Phlipster for creating such an awesome header image. I’d like to thank everyone who suggested guides to add, especially auguthy2 and 3FFA for being so persistent about it. I’d like to give a shoutout to u6s5l., who maintains the version of this library posted on the .us forums. I’d also like to thank everyone who gave me feedback on all the different versions of this library I’ve had. And of course, I’d like to thank everyone who wrote the guides included in this library. Thanks, all of you. I may have put this library together, but without any of you this library would be nothing like what it is today.

Ratings System
A. Content
35 points
Usability of guide.
How well does it teach/help you? Does it go into depth or give a surface idea? Was it understandable, did it require multiple read-throughs?

B. Formatting
20 points
Readability of guide.
Did it use proper (or at least understandable) spelling and grammar? Did it define all new terms? Was it organized coherently?

C. Accuracy
25 points
The method/strategy described.
Does it work? Are there better or equally good methods/strategies, and if so, are they explained? Does the guide explain the context in which the strategy is used?

D. Date
20 points
Is the guide up-to-date?
Are all numbers, units and buildings inclusive of all new elements (or is it explained why not)? Are any screenshots understandable while using the latest version of software?

Beginner Guides
kwkraft:
Beginner’s Guide
Overall rating: 98/100
Last rated: September 22nd, 2012
Ability level: Beginner
A. A well-written guide. 35/35
B. It’s well-organized and easily readable. 20/20
C. The guide is quite accurate and contains a lot of useful advice for beginners. 25/25
D. It doesn’t include a lot of newer mechanics, but it’s still a useful guide. 18/20

dr.obradovic
Beginner survival guide
Overall rating: 97/100
Last rated: August 31st, 2012
A. Not really a guide, per se, but a well-written, interesting story. It really does get across the basics of defending, while being entertaining. 35/35
B. Minor spelling/grammar errors, but these do not detract from the content. 17/20
C. Simple but useful, and well-explained, methods. 25/25
D. There’s not really anything to go out of date in this guide. 20/20

jamm:
Basics you should know
Overall rating: 92/100
A. A good collection of pointers on the game in general. Some spelling and grammar issues, but they don’t take away from the guide. 34/35
B. Somewhat confusing organization - for example, what does a duck symbolize? 15/20
C. This guide shows you different paths you can take - they all work pretty well, except for the ones that are given as examples of what not to do :p 25/25
D. Milliseconds are now displayed with all land times, regardless of whether you’re in the attack page or not. Otherwise, up-to-date. 18/20

Robert.Paulson
How to be a newb and not a noob
Overall rating: 90/100
A. Generally well-written, but in some places required multiple read-throughs to understand the point. 33/35
B. This guide is well-organized; it’s easy to find what you’re looking for. 20/20
C. Part 2 is confusing and can mislead readers. He says “Don’t trust every guide,” then fails to explain why we should trust his. 20/25
D. Multiple tribes have conquered an entire world; it’s no longer especially uncommon. His point still stands, but it should be worded differently. 17/20

Startup Guides
mattcurr
Starting guide
Overall rating: 100/100
A. This isn’t really a guide, it’s more a checklist, but it’s a good one. No spelling/grammar mistakes, generally easy to follow. 35/35
B. Well-organized and easy to read. 20/20
C. This guide format is far less misleading than other startup guides. Nothing is presented as they only way to do something, in fact, the entire point is to prevent such presentation. One should probably look at other startup guides as well, however, for some different opinions. 25/25
D. This is an updated guide, nothing is out-of-date. 20/20

A humble player:
Creating Opening Strategies
Overall rating: 95/100
A. Most everything is well-explained, and the parts that aren’t are difficult to explain anyway. 30/35
B. Very good organization. Easy to read and understand on the first try - thought was clearly put into the organization. 20/20
C. There aren’t really any specific strategies described here for how to play, however, this guide will not lead you astray. 25/25
D. Nothing wrong here. 20/20

Tedeni:
Startup guide
Overall rating: 72/100
Last rated: September 10th, 2012
A. Explains well within the scope of the guide. However, the ‘why’ is usually not explained, which makes the guide useless outside of a few situations. 25/35
B. Good spelling/grammar, but the guide is difficult to understand because of its jumpiness. 17/20
C. This guide doesn’t really stand on its own (no start-up guide does), despite the author’s implication to the contrary. I would suggest reading some other startup guides before deciding on a strategy - startup is a very opinion-based phase of gameplay, and other guides will give you different ideas. 20/25
D. Has not been updated for a while. There are several issues that have existed for about a year now, none of them fixed. 10/20

Offense Guides
Knight Saber:
Easy Mass Attacking
Last rated: September 14th, 2012
Ability level: Intermediate
A. Teaches well enough. My problems with the way it teaches mostly fall into the readability section, so I’ll just deduct points there.35/35
B. The author needs to use complete sentences and correct grammar. Hard to understand when you write guide like this. 15/20
C. The content is accurate, no problems here. 25/25
D. It’s never been updated, don’t think it needed to be, though. 20/20

Coplayed by a horse:
Animated T-Train Guide
Overall rating: 93/100
A. Very well-written. Quite helpful; teaches very well. 35/35
B. The pattern of zooming in is not consistent or predictable. There are a few unnecessary zooms, as well. This makes the guide a little confusing, but it is still readable and useful. 15/20
C. The content is all perfectly accurate. No complaints here. 25/25
D. This guide does not seem to have been updated at all. While the guide has no serious problems, it would be good if the issues with inconsistent and confusing zooming could be fixed. 18/20

lardingd:
How can I farm?
Overall rating: 91/100
Last rated: September 15th, 2012
A. Very well taught, a few inconsistencies here and there, but otherwise very good. 34/35
B. Sometimes confusingly written, but generally understandable. The occasional ambiguities do not significantly detract from the guide. Better headers and spoilers would definitely improve the readability of this guide. 17/20
C. This is a very accurate guide. 25/25
D. A lot of the points about premium vs. non-premium are out-of-date. Newer premium features that help with farming are not mentioned. 15/20

Cheesasaurus:
Timing troop movements
Overall rating: 87/100
Last rated: September 21st, 2012
Ability level: Advanced
A. This guide explains things very well. 35/35
B. The organization is a little confusing, the guide could do with being split into a few more parts. It’s a bit hard to read as-is. 17/20
C. Most of the information here is accurate, although the bit about calculating troop arrival times is incorrect. Just put the village into the rally point along with your troops and click attack; that will give you the travel time. 20/25
D. Some things about the way milliseconds are displayed have changed, and there are now faster ways to calculate travel times than discussed here.The guide could benefit from mentioning these changes. 15/20

Mimelim:
Offense
Overall rating: 80/100
A. Teaches well, no complaints here. 35/35
B. Good organization, again, no complaints here. 20/20
C. You say rams are situational, then do not discuss how to decide on a number of rams. It is not hard for a tribe to coordinate on the fly if you understand your teammates - this is the hallmark of good tribes, the ability to coordinate on the fly. Overall, this guide does include some very good tactics, and shows a few inventive ways one can beat a defender. However, it does have some holes, and isn’t very flexible, so it loses some points here. 15/25
D. Could use some updates, but never has gotten any, minus a quick update 3 minutes after it was posted, likely to correct a spelling or grammar issue. 10/20

Defense Guides
Googly
Approaching Defending
Defensive Techniques
NOTE: These are technically two separate guides, however, the first guide is basically a guide to properly using everything described in the second guide, thus they are rated as one.
A. Goes well into depth, explains every technique in an understandable fashion. 35/35
B. Not just easily understandable, but is concise enough to be conceivably read in one sitting. No Spelling/grammar errors. 20/20
C. All major tactics are described, and the foundation is laid for battle strategies to be formed around using those techniques. No complaints here. 25/25
D. Kinda hard to say anything bad about the updates of a guide that gets a perfect score otherwise and is written by someone who is active every day bugging me to work on this library. 20/20
Tagging
A. Well-written and easy to follow. It’s a step-by-step guide, but this is one subject where that doesn’t matter because there’s pretty much one way to efficiently do this. 35/35
B. Very understandable, well-organized, and no spelling/grammar errors. 20/20
C. There are other ways of quick-tagging, but all of them essentially go along these lines. A very efficient method. 25/25
D. Same as the above guide. 20/20

kebabe8:
Offline dodging
Overall rating: 92/100
A. Solidly written, no complaints. 35/35
B. Well written and easily understandable. Even though the author usually posts in red, I’m subtracting a point for it here, because it makes the guide harder to read. Please do not write guides in colors, it’s very annoying. 19/20
C. The enemy doesn’t always see your troop count when scouts are sent; this depends on world settings. Also, militia, while not present at the time this was created, do deserve a mention in a guide of this type. 20/25
D. Fairly up-to-date, but is missing a couple of things and hasn’t been updated for years. The author is also no longer on the forums. 18/20

qwe4rty:
Analysis of Defense Options
Overall rating: 89/100
A. The guide could have been a little less technical, and it bordered on an advanced guide. Overall, however, it was a good explanation. 32/35
B. The guide is fairly well-organized. Though the stats of each build were slightly confusing, it was generally understandable. 18/20
C. The content is sound and accurate. The guide could have been slightly more flexible, and explained how to do these calculations on your own, however. 22/25
D. Would be nice if you mentioned all the givens - world speed, building levels, research system, etc., but they’re fairly obvious to most players getting into this sort of strategy. Never was really updated, could use some minor updates. 17/20

quicksilver99:
Using Attack IDs to Help Identify Incoming Attacks
Overall rating: 86/100
A. This guide is a little dense and hard to understand at times, but it’s still usable. 31/35
B. Pretty good organization. The guide could benefit from spoilers but it’s still readable as is. 20/20
C. The scripts in this guide do not work, you can get working versions in the scripts forum. Otherwise, this guide is accurate and useful. 20/25
D. Some updates to the screenshots would be helpful, as would replacing the scripts with working version. 15/20

critical mass:
I have incomings let's panic
A. This guide is very detailed and explanatory. However, it goes too far in-depth into certain things that really should be their own guides. 28/35
B. The organization is somewhat confusing, due to the length. Premium and non-premium defending really should just be separate guides. At very least, it needs spoilers - lots of them. 10/20
C. All of these are extremely useful, accurately explained methods. 25/25
D. Doesn’t appear to have been updated for a while, but the information is still up-to-date. However, it really does need to be updated to be readable. 17/20

Mimelim:
Defense
A. It is very unclear what the guide is trying to say, especially when talking about recapping and noble trains. I know what it’s saying, because I have done these things before, but to someone who hasn’t, the guide will be difficult to understand. 25/35
B. Good organization, plenty readable. 20/20
C. The content is very good and accurate. No complaints here. 25/25
D. This guide is pretty far out-of-date. Does not incorporate coins, cheap nobles, or the fact that basically any good tribe implements the tribe support policy described. Has never been updated, and shows it. 10/20

xyziz:
Dodging a backtiming
Overall rating: 75/100
Last rated: September 16th, 2012
A. Gets the point across well. It’s a simple guide, but it does its job. 35/35
B. The organization is not very good, there’s nothing to distinguish each step. The guide was still readable, however. 10/20
C. This method still works quite well, despite the guide’s age. 25/25
D. The screenshots are horribly out-of-date. One of them is no longer even there. The guide has never been updated, but it could definitely use an update. 5/20

Tribal/Leadership Guides
Bloodhood:
Leadership
Last rated: September 19th, 2012
A. This is a good guide. It teaches well and brings up some very good points about leading. It’s very thorough and covers almost every aspect of leading, while leaving you with an understanding of how to handle anything that isn’t covered. 35/35
B. This guide is very well-formatted and is easily understandable. No problems here. 20/20
C. This is one of the most useful leadership guides. The amount of information it includes is staggering, and what’s more, all of it is completely accurate. 25/25
D. Over three years after this guide’s creation it’s still completely accurate, and it was never even updated. 20/20

Googly
Leadership For Beginners
A. Quite well written. Lacks specifics in some cases, but that can be useful as it doesn’t lead you astray. 35/35
B. Simple, easy to understand organization. Everything is in spoilers. 20/20
C. This is pretty much as accurate as a leadership guide can get. If you read everything in it, you will be far better educated about what it means to be a leader and how to go about taking on that responsibility. 25/25
D. This is not a guide that goes out of date easily, and the author is active and can update quickly.20/20

MiiStEr man
Recruitment Ads
A. Very usable guide. Teaches well and is easily understandable. 35/35
B. Easily readable. Formatting is very good. 20/20
C. Making a recruitment ad as this guide says to will work - though you should note if you have a shitty tribe the best recruitment ad in the world won’t make it good. 25/25
D. Does not need updating. 20/20

Shlomzi:
Leading
A. This guide teaches extremely well. It explains everything unambiguously and is readable in one sitting. It draws you in, just like a good book. 35/35
B. It is ridiculously confusing to put your entire guide in a quote. If you want to visibly separate it, use a spoiler. Other than that, this guide is readable. 15/20
C. Everything here is accurate. 25/25
D. This guide needs no updates. 20/20

Warham:
Leading
Overall rating: 99/100
A. This guide explains leading in an easily understandable format. Well-written. 35/35
B. It has good organization. The guide is readable, although sometimes slightly confusing. 19/20
C. This guide picks up on a few points other leadership guides pay little attention to, like self-analysis and paying attention to your surroundings. 25/25
D. This guide is not in need of any updates. 20/20

Tic Toc:
Propaganda
Overall rating: 98/100
A. This guide explains and teaches about propaganda in simple terms. It’s a very well-written guide. 35/35
B. The guide is fairly well-organized. The headers are a little inconsistent and confusing. Other than that, it’s readable. 18/20
C. If you follow this guide, you can make good PnP. 25/25
D. This guide is up-to-date. 20/20

burns:
Intelligent posting (PnP)
A. This is a well-written guide. It gets to the point, and conveys everything it needs to to get the point across. 35/35
B. The guide is not separated very well, but it is still readable. It could do with some better separation and use of headers. 16/20
C. This guide has a lot of really good information about PnP in it, and if followed, will produce good PnP as well. 25/25
D. Despite all the examples being old, they are still very good examples of effective PnP. The guide could be helped by some newer examples, but the guide is still good as is. 19/20

Game Mechanics Guides
capibarbaroja:
Ram Formulas
Overall rating: 99/100
A. This guide is a little complicated, but it’s also a complicated subject matter, so I’ll give the author a pass on that. For a guide on such a complicated subject, this explains itself very well. 35/35
B. A few slight issues with the organization make the guide seem cluttered. No major issues here, overall the organization is quite good. 19/20
C. To the best of my knowledge this is a very accurate guide. Obviously I haven’t decoded the simulator myself, but nobody has proved him wrong so I’m going to assume he’s right. 25/25
D. As far as I know this guide is fully up-to-date. 20/20

Cheesasaurus:
Ram Formulas
A. This guide is a little confusing, however, it’s written about a confusing subject. It could probably be explained in less complicated terms, though. 30/35
B. The organization of this guide is great. It makes a very complicated guide seem simpler and easier to comprehend. 20/20
C. As far as I know, the information in this guide is accurate. 25/25
D. This guide is fully up-to-date. 20/20
Formulas
A. This guide explains fairly complicated concepts in relatively simple terms. 35/35
B. The organization is not very good and it’s not always easy to understand what each formula does. The readability could definitely use some work. 7/20
C. The content here is accurate to the best of my knowledge. 25/25
D. This guide is up-to-date. 20/20

General/Other Guides
harbinger297:
How to use a Sig/Image
A. Well-written and easily understood. 35/35
B. Organization is wonderful and readability is perfect despite the colors - a difficult thing to pull off. 20/20
C. The content here is accurate. 25/25
D. Seems to be updated fairly regularly, shouldn’t need to much updating apart from the occasional add to the dictionary (a glossary, actually, but w/e). If a major change occurs it will likely be reflected in this guide. 20/20

(R)ed:
Efficiency and Village Dynamics
A. This guide is very well-written, and does a very good job of explaining itself. 35/35
B. The organization is flawless. Absolutely no complaints here. 20/20
C. Much of the first few sections can generally apply to a lot more than just TW. That says something about the accuracy of your advice. When it’s stuff that can, and is being used, in subjects other than that at hand, you know it’s useful advice. This is a very good guide to efficiency and has a lot of useful stuff in it. 25/25
D. Doesn’t really need any updates. 20/20

zenron the great:
Zenron’s guide to TW
A. A well-written guide. 35/35
B. The organization of this guide is very good. There are no spelling/grammar mistakes and easy to understand. 20/20
C. Very accurate in general. Everything advised in this guide is an acceptable method when used correctly. 25/25
D. Last updated in mid-2010. I have no idea what that update consisted of, but it does not appear substantial. Everything in the guide is up-to-date, however. 20/20

Pulsar FTW:
Church
Overall rating: 96/100
A. Overall, this guide teaches well. 35/35
B. The guide is well-organized, and everything can be found easily. However, the font gets annoying quickly. 16/20
C. Generally accurate, and it’s noted where the author is not certain if information is true. 25/25
D. This guide is not out of date and has been updated as new information is available. 20/20

lardingd:
Guide to playing TW
A. The best way to write a guide. Very conversational, and draws you in. 35/35
B. There are no spelling/grammar errors, and the organization is great, though spoilers could be useful. 19/20
C. A very flexible guide. Doesn’t hold you down to one strategy, but gives you reasons and helps you figure out your own. 25/25
D. Doesn’t take into account changes in the game since the guide was made. It is unlikely at this point the problem will be fixed, but the guide is still quite good. 16/20

Wallam:
Non-premium
A. Well-written guide. Teaches well and goes well into depth. 35/35
B. Easily understandable. Pictures help the guide’s readability substantially. 20/20
C. There are much better methods of sending a train than the one described in this guide (for example T-Train). Other than that, this guide will serve you well. 22/25
D. This guide could do with a bit of updating; the screenshots are out-of-date and it should discuss a better method of sending a train. 18/20

burns:
Gameplay advice
Overall rating: 94/100
A. Fairly well-written. Useful in multiple situations, goes fairly well into depth. No real complaints here. 35/35
B. Needs more line spacing. It’s bunched up and just looks like an unorganized wall of text as is. The guide is still fully readable, though. 17/20
C. Good advice, all of it is accurate. For a topic so wide as “Gameplay Advice” it’s a little low on advice - might want to rename it “Miscellaneous Advice” as that would fit better. 22/25
D. Nothing is particularly out-of-date here. The advice is general enough it doesn’t need updating to deal with newer additions to the game. 20/20

File not Found
How to use the search function
Overall rating: 90/100
A. Well-written, clearly explained. 35/35
B. Clearly organized and well thought-out. 20/20
C. As a mod, I’d love it if people used the search function. However, the instructions given here are a little out-of date, and many do not apply anymore. 20/25
D. This guide is now out-of-date after the update to VB4. The screenshots do not help much anymore. 15/20

Zevahc:
Zev’s Notebook
Last rated: September 20th, 2012
A. This guide is slightly confusing at times but generally understandable. It’s not always clear what the author is talking about, though, and some sections require multiple read-throughs to be understood. 27/35
B. Fairly well-organized, however the headings are somewhat confusing. The spelling and grammar are not the best, and this does detract slightly from the readability of the guide. 15/20
C. This guide is good general advice for playing TW. 25/25
D. This guide is fully up-to-date. 20/20

auguthy2:
Introduction to No-Haul Worlds
Overall rating: 85/100
A. Overall this is a good guide. It teaches fairly well, but could use some better clarifications of the methods used. Sometimes it is hard to understand what the guide is getting at. 30/35
B. Spelling and grammar are less than stellar, and there are several capitalization issues. The formatting is also inconsistent. These problems make the guide somewhat annoying to read. 13/20
C. Overall good content, and should serve you quite well. No issues here. 25/25
D. Definitely needs some updating. Even the guide itself admits it is partly out of date. The creator is active, however, and should be capable of fixing the guide’s problems. 17/20

repinski
Village and Troop Builds
A. Explains the content well, no 35/35
B. Great organization. No complaints here. 20/20
C. Nothing is very flexible in this guide, and it’s presented as a statement of truth (basically it says ‘these are the best village builds’). The fact is, that’s not the truth. Builds are a matter of personal preference and situation. This is good as a general guide, but that’s not the way it’s currently presented. 15/25
D. Seems to be updated every now and then. Creator is active and should be able to update. Nevertheless, there are significant issues with this guide that have not been addressed. 10/20

burns:
Skill
Overall rating: 73/100
A. This guide is an interesting FAQ-style approach to a guide. However, it doesn’t really work. It includes a lot of information about skill, but it fails to provide much general insight into skill - it really only gives a superficial idea of skill. 25/35
B. This guide should have more spacing, it feels like a giant wall of text despite being separated out into several sections. It’s still readable and understandable, however. 18/20
C. This is good and useful information - however, understanding skill is really something you get from experience. Trying to explain it is like trying to explain calculus to a 5-year-old. It’s theoretically possible, but it doesn’t really work. Experience will teach you far more about skill than this guide will. 10/25
D. There is nothing particularly out-of-date about this guide. 20/20

Compilations, Tools and Links

For potential guide writers
This is how NOT to write a guide. Had I bothered rating this guide, it would have earned a 0. Make sure you read other guides on your subject before you post yours!

Feel free to contribute any guides you have lying around or know the link to. Comments, questions and concerns are also welcome. You can use the PM system, or alternately contact me on Skype by adding dawolf85.

Disclaimers and other quasi-legalese
This is simply a directory. I do not own the rights to any guide that is not my original work. If you do not want your work listed here, I will remove it on request. If you have issues with a guide listed in this library, please contact the guide’s creator. I am not responsible for issues resulting from use of any work linked in this library.​

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Wolf go back to .net ;)

<3

Just kidding i do enjoy reading your library when ever i have a question about something :)

DeletedUser4083

Andy! Take that back to .net, I'm building my own!!!!! :p

Especially when I have your guide library bookmarked for reference purposes :p. Still, an epic guide library though :)

DeletedUser11362

Andy! Take that back to .net, I'm building my own!!!!! :p

Especially when I have your guide library bookmarked for reference purposes :p. Still, an epic guide library though :)
I took a look, noticed there was one ostensibly inactive library (which I think is the one you hijacked) and one "directory" that contains only a handful of guides. I thought I'd be adding something here. At very least I'll give you some incentive to update your library and make it look like it's been updated sometime since 2011 :icon_wink:

By the way, I'm adding another 33 guides to the library a week from today (about a 79% increase in size). Might have to reorganize a little to make it readable. Hopefully that will give you some new ideas for guides to add to yours.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser4083

And yet you have done nothing on our project ;) Awesome work anyway mate, the amount of time that you have put into this is insane!

DeletedUser11362

And yet you have done nothing on our project ;) Awesome work anyway mate, the amount of time that you have put into this is insane!
Nobody talks in that skype chat... I thought the project was dead :icon_razz:

DeletedUser4083

Nobody wants to do anything, I'm the only one that has done any work on the project :D

DeletedUser11362

Updated the library to Version 4.1.

Changelog:

- Resolved an issue where the link to the Quest Tree was not displayed
- (.co.uk/.us versions) Made slight adjustments to the author’s note to account for the differences between servers
- New header image by Phlipster
- Reattributed the Table for Cats/Rams to cheesasarus per request from the poster

In Version 4.2 I plan to modify the ratings system, which is the reason for not releasing the extra guides I said I would. I'll work on 4.2 over Christmas break and it will be released as soon as it is ready, along with the extra guides.

DeletedUser9793

i did chapter 1 of a spy guide at beginning of w12....

DeletedUser9793

did a chapter 2 in draft but then i thought - giving out too much info and tricks :-( cant have the game keeper advising the poacher can we ?