Discussion- Running a Tribe.

DeletedUser

The most successful tribe I have been in (*TLA* on W29) had a single dictator leader. There was no council and no one in the tribe objected to this. This was because DMGboi123 (our duke for the majority of the time the tribe has been around) went out of his way to help and accommodate everyone in the tribe, however there was a very clear set of rules, and these were rules that the tribe decided on as a whole and were then enforced by DMG and the players. The tribe worked because everyone respected DMG and if he made a decision 80% of the tribe would follow that decision even if they knew it would not benefit their own account. The other 20% were kicked at the request of the 80% and were subsequently rimmed. This meant that every member in the tribe was fiercely loyal to DMG and felt included, knowing that DMG would listen to whatever they had to say and take it into account. It also meant that every member knew they had to do their bit or the rest of the tribe, as a whole would see to it that they didn't last.

I still don't quite know how DMG managed to unite the entire tribe with such fierce loyalty and dedication while still being the dictator.

(An example of this was when he was forced to leave the game due to RL issues, the tribe he had brought from nothing to #1 collapsed overnight. He then returned to play a month later and within 24 hours every member of *TLA* was back together under the same banner, differences left behind, all hell bent on destroying the rest of the world. It was heartwarming to say the least. (We now lead the world by a 300 mil point lead)

DeletedUser

I know this is off topic but I'm looking for a Tribe in World 8 just started new player wiling to learn :)

DeletedUser7797

I know this is off topic but I'm looking for a Tribe in World 8 just started new player wiling to learn :)

Look for one with one or two benign dictators, if you believe what's written in here.

I personally believe that the best tribes have two leaders who compliment eachother and offer a strong united and cohesive face to the members of the tribe.

Absolute dictatorship in my experience never works

DeletedUser

OF COURSE THESE SERVERS ARE SMALL IN COMPARISON.... what the hell you expect, the .net server is the international server. we are a small country server, if size is all that matters to you rather than what you do with it and talent I think your in the wrong place. WE at .uk have some amazing players. If your that great in comparison I suggest you prove your worth rather than shooting your mouth. I'm the first person to love a good debate or even enjoy being flamed, but to come here and globally insult everyone here reflects your personality rather than ours.

If I interpreted that wrong I apologise in advance. However if i didn't I suggest you DO ONE back to another uber server where your elite smezyness means something cos if your trying to gain rep here with an attitude like that it aint gonna work!

Well, I see your point Marc, however Darth does have a point as well. I hate to play fence sitter, so I will lean to Darth's side on one point. The UK servers are a unique blend of the same personalities on each world. I dare say that many of the players here would have trouble in the .net world. This is the minor leagues of TW. I am guilty as charged as well. I include myself in this critique. Night Bonus is used to encourage less active players. This is why worlds always seem to end the same way. There are two tribes at the end. The more talented players end up all in one tribe and the players who feel disenfranchised end up in the other. UK6 will be dead before one year is up. I dare say the end game is one month out.

Take a look at the co-played accounts at the top of the charts in all UK worlds. They all prey on the less active players lured here by night bonus. The top 20 in any UK server (to include me when I was there in UK3 & UK6) are the same people until they quit. I dare say we are not the best players, just more active than others. Activity is the key to this game. Now people are going to jump on this because I have bruised their egos, but ask yourself why your here? Many of these players are here because of the laid back nature of the server. The super active with co-players can be "worshiped" here. This is not to discount the talent here....it is the reality. There are a handful of "players". Most however should be judged by co-players and activity not ability. Can one be separated from the other...lol. Who knows....

We all know players who have friends start the server with them only to build up their first noble....you know who you are. Many players simply quit these worlds at 15-20 villages out of boredom. They know the fight is over after startup. They would go on to own the world if they stayed. The other issue is the tight nit group of "top player" friends in the UK community. You will never see the "worshiped" go after each other because they are friends or are in the same tribe in another UK world. To say there is not hugging in the UK servers is to be blind to the realities of the social piece to this game.

Meh Meh Meh would tell you activity is the key. That is a true 24 hour account. Kudos for finding each other. I have played with 4 people on one account....really?lol
Can you all imagine what a world without co-players would look like? I myself could never keep up with the boys on the Meh Meh Meh account...lol....seems like to much of a time commitment. What would the UK worlds look like if the likes of Ruffus went head to head with Meh Meh Meh? How about PP and Riverstyx...and on and on

Keep dreaming...it will never happen...

Hugs to you all :D

Let the flaming begin..........

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Well, I see your point Marc, however Darth does have a point as well. I hate to play fence sitter, so I will lean to Darth's side on one point. The UK servers are a unique blend of the same personalities on each world. I dare say that many of the players here would have trouble in the .net world. This is the minor leagues of TW. I am guilty as charged as well. I include myself in this critique. Night Bonus is used to encourage less active players. This is why worlds always seem to end the same way. There are two tribes at the end. The more talented players end up all in one tribe and the players who feel disenfranchised end up in the other. UK6 will be dead before one year is up. I dare say the end game is one month out.

Take a look at the co-played accounts at the top of the charts in all UK worlds. They all prey on the less active players lured here by night bonus. The top 20 in any UK server (to include me when I was there in UK3 & UK6) are the same people until they quit. I dare say we are not the best players, just more active than others. Activity is the key to this game. Now people are going to jump on this because I have bruised their egos, but ask yourself why your here? Many of these players are here because of the laid back nature of the server. The super active with co-players can be "worshiped" here. This is not to discount the talent here....it is the reality. There are a handful of "players". Most however should be judged by co-players and activity not ability. Can one be separated from the other...lol. Who knows....

We all know players who have friends start the server with them only to build up their first noble....you know who you are. Many players simply quit these worlds at 15-20 villages out of boredom. They know the fight is over after startup. They would go on to own the world if they stayed. The other issue is the tight nit group of "top player" friends in the UK community. You will never see the "worshiped" go after each other because they are friends or are in the same tribe in another UK world. To say there is not hugging in the UK servers is to be blind to the realities of the social piece to this game.

Meh Meh Meh would tell you activity is the key. That is a true 24 hour account. Kudos for finding each other. I have played with 4 people on one account....really?lol
Can you all imagine what a world without co-players would look like? I myself could never keep up with the boys on the Meh Meh Meh account...lol....seems like to much of a time commitment. What would the UK worlds look like if the likes of Ruffus went head to head with Meh Meh Meh? How about PP and Riverstyx...and on and on

Keep dreaming...it will never happen...

Hugs to you all :D
Where to start hehe... So as mark (I've just realized you're both called mark :icon_biggrin:, so in this case i mean mark the mod) already pointed out, the .net servers obviously have more skill, mainly for two very simple reasons, it has 10 times as many players and has been around for more than double the amount of time, therefore it is inevitable that the amount of good players on .net is a much larger number however if there were a way, hypothetically of course, to measure the average "skill" of a world, it would be more or less the same across all servers. The .net servers may have more good players, which means there is more competition, but it also means there are many more not so good players, the average in the end would be more or less the same, any difference would be very probably be correlated to the amount of time the servers have been around. And for your information I started on .uk and have only played on .uk, don't think I've done too badly?

Night bonus obviously makes a world more attractive to less active people, but can you blame them for implementing it though on nation specific servers? It attracts more customers and is there to try and make it more of a level playing field so that the more active have less of an advantage, isn't that what you want?

As for ending up with two tribes towards the end, the "pros" in one and the "noobs" in the other, isn't that the case on most worlds? Didn't DNY supposedly just gradually recruit most of the best players on w12 on .net thereby ending the world pretty fast? The uk worlds to me don't seem that different under that aspect, the top players very often tend to find a way to stick together wherever they are. Then again I do like to think that uk4 is a nice example of a world going towards and ending with two very "equal" tribes battling it out, not one tribe with all the good players and the other with all the bad ones. And I'm sure there are similar worlds on .net and on other servers. That might not be the case on uk6, it really depends on how interesting the players want the world to be. The way most top players behave is the same on most worlds not just uk. I've never felt this need to play in the same tribe with all the best players, my friends from uk4 know that I took great pleasure by repeatedly flattening and nobling their villas, it's much more fun to fight someone you know. I guess I can't speak for everyone, but hey we aren't all the same.

As for "the top co-played accounts" feeding on the less active, well that is not really the case, in fact that is mainly true for late game. I choose my targets based on a combination of various factors during this start up, how much they farm, their position and points mainly. Those which farm more are the more active, so by taking them out, not only am I acquiring a new village but I am also getting rid of farming competition. So I don't know about everyone else but really we're feeding on the most active around us. And if they have lots of troops even better, we love killing troops :icon_twisted:

Activity is very important, unfortunately in this game, however, I must say you are exaggerating how important it is. If you are on average most active then most people, then that might get you a top50 or top40 on every world, however what's the difference between that player which is always at the bottom of the top 20 and the player which is always in the top 10? that is nearly always down to skill. Activity will get you highly ranked, but what really does the difference once you get there, all things equal, is skill. You claim that meh meh meh is a 24 hour account? Far from that, we are even in the same time-zone and I'm a student and mike has a job, it's not like we're twiddling our thumbs all day in front of the computer. Efficiency is the key, making the right choices, taking risks, it's these things which will take you the extra mile. We've had people mail us complaining that they are online all day yet they aren't highly ranked as us and asking what the secret to success is. It's not just activity, saying that it is, is just a convenient excuse.

Hugging occurs everywhere and with everyone, from the noobs asking to be your PA or maybe these super alliances to take down the top tribe, to the pros making their super elite tribes. We all do what we want. There's those who quit after 2 weeks on every world having hit rank 1 for 5 minutes claiming that they know it all and those who stay on for years. Again this happens everywhere. We all make our own choices. I don't have a problem nobling friends, I don't have a problem going down with my tribe. I like to fight, and nuke and nuke and nuke a little more. But hey I'm just a uk guy...

DeletedUser

Leadership in a tribe should be 1 duke who has the final say, he ask for opinions of his barons (normally 2 of them), the barons ask for opinions of council members (could be up to a few councilors), these are all top trusted members of the tribe who need to make the tribe changing decisions. If it is something that can be discussed with the rest of the tribe without conflict being caused then a poll can be created and the duke can make a decision with the results of the poll giving him a better idea of what the tribe wants.

As for external matters a tribe should not hug all its neighbors or it will become too crowded, the tribe should make an ally in a continent near their own and then grow away from that ally or in a similar direction. NAP's are pointless unless its to stop an early game war or is just better for one tribe to have a temp NAP to prepare to then take the other tribe out.

A well constructed and planned tribe can last a long time but its up to its members activity and contribution if it survives or not, although punishing a member can be costly and lose faith in the leadership figure warnings are fine, things like strike systems to enforce rules can help a tribe stay in check.

First post on the first thread, nice to meet everyone i hope to contribute more to the forums as they can go dead very easily, i have come from .net so please message me if you wish to know more, nice to be here :)

DeletedUser

I believe the way my tribes have been run in the past is I'm the over aggresive one with reckless decisions, all sorts of horrible covert things which noone else knows about who somehow through sheer stupidity, jokes and ruthless insulting of every tribe player gains the support of most of the tribe making my coduke in effect have to follow me and clear up the mess, well, that was what i had to do to get the tribe from going stale. I onlybeen back two days and Ive overloaded the forums in the higher percentage of my posts :D therefore its all dictatorship to me, one leader, and the followers,
the followers begin as people you already know of course, and then you get some new ones, (usually the active ones) who will go hell for leather and stay in the game through loyalty. then u get all the quiet ones,, who regularly need abusing so they actually do something.. huh, theyre maybe a fault in my plan but ah well:p

DeletedUser

i find a matriachy with a meritorcial methord of premotion, it works in my small tribe and i am working to a councle of elders who have differnt duties and work in differnt areas of the tribe. i have found being able to both premote and demote members is briliant for dicaplin within the tribe. lissening and descussing works for diplomatic problems and stops members getting squashed by agressive nabours. teemwork with leadership is the real world methord of tribe running and it seems to work here too.

DeletedUser5582

nice to see you here Punksta and welcome.

Not sure I agree with some of your post but have said my bit so not going to rehash it all.

Few things though.

I hate to play fence sitter,

I laughed a lot when I read that bit. I mean proper oh my god belly laughter. Ty.

Slightly more on topic. @ Luca yes agree with your post and good read.

One thing we havenlt really talked on is liking folk?! I mean would you follow a tribe leadership (benign dictator/wannabe attila the hun, huggers, council with beards and sandals et al) unless you liked and respected them?

Like and respect not always the same but unlike in rl if you don't like a leader (but maybe respect them as a player) then you can leave relatively easily as no mortgage to cover etc etc

So are the better tribes (um by this I mean the ones that manage to struggle on after the "pros" have got their Rank 1 badge in the uncompetitive world :icon_rolleyes:) and keep going and growing led by mostly likable leaders?

Do you need to have a leader that is liked to make this perfect tribe?

So in the worlds that have been running in the uk for a little while and are in the top few in their world are any of them close to having the attributes discussed in this thread? Or is it that their leadership is liked enough to get enough folks to struggle on and make their tribes a success?

Discuss!

No I am not selling I Heart (insert name of tribal leader here) T shirts

DeletedUser5528

Bleh forums can be pretty boring these days so thought I'd try my best to bring some decent discussion into uk8.

So what would be your personal prefrence on how a tribe should be ran?

Dictatorship? V Democracy?

Should there be one person that makes all the decisions and have advisors for exapmle....or should the members of the tribe be involved in most if not all of the decision making? <<< In terms of things like Alliances/Naps, Invitations, Wars e.t.c

How do you keep your tribe active, not just in game but in forums or is Skype a better option rather than forum activity?

Would you rather your tribe had a 'kill all' policy or some alliances or naps....or even hug your way around the world?

What type of people do you recruit? - Is it a Premade, randomly made ingame or a few friends who want to lead together? <Not asking you to tell me how your tribe was made, more tell us what you would prefer, and obv course the fact that as time goes on you may want to recruit as people quit/leave e.t.c

I'm basicly asking what your perfect tribe would be.............if there is such a thing!

These are just examples of things to discuss, more than welcome to bring in your own views on how tribes should be ran.

ok I have an opinion on this as I run a tribe myself in a different world.

I actually created it for a laugh and never in my wildest dreams expected it to reach Rank 1 and remain there as it still is today.

Anyway, I find a tribe that is a democrcy will like fold pretty quickly. (personal experience) However I also find that a tribe that runs a council tend to have so many divisions between the council and the rest it is unbelievable. For me I tried to find the right balance.

1, Lead by example.
2, As duke you make the difficult decisions and they are final when you say so.
3, Listen to your tribe and explain how you want things done, and why. ( A , Duke that doesn't listen isn't a duke for long).
4 Do not show favourtism towards any of your members. Your tribe rules should be followed by all members including You!.
5, Have an easy form of communication, i.e skype or similar services.
6, Direction. Do not hug the world. Sure diplomacy has its good point but be brave. If you want to win a world try to do it for your tribe and have the glory.
Plus numerous other things I wont bore you with, For me

Dictatorship FTW!!!

DeletedUser5582

nice tag The Dan!

good to see this catch on I think :lol:

2, As duke you make the difficult decisions and they are final when you say so.

Dictatorship FTW!!!

I must remember this when you are telling me to do things :icon_wink:

In all seriousness though would like to see maybe folks give examples of a council run tribe (without the dictatorial figure) that has hit a top rank and stayed there?

Has been an interesting thread so far but not sure seen any post that has made me think councils are the way forward? Am easily convinced so if you know of an example then (as The Dan would say) enlighten me!

Hums, chants and waves incense

What a guy!!!

DeletedUser7797

OK I'll post as one of two Dukes in what is the No2 tribe on TW4 (WET) but which will be soon be No1 tribe again very soon.

I have been in a few tribes and I am also still a drone in one tribe, so hopefully I am not one of the elite huggers but someone who is learning on the job.

Our tribe has two Dukes (actually they call me the Duchess but that's another story) and we have a full council of barons, I think about eight. We also try and discuss important issues with our members and involve them as much as possible. WET was set up as a family tribe and principally set up to nurture and encourage less experienced players. We have been flamed as mass-recruiters and noobs from the start of this world but we are still here and hopefully we have won some begrudging respect.

For me our success, and that is for others to judge and comment on, has been due to a combination of factors. I will list what I see as the three most important, but not necessarily in the right order:

1. Encouragement of members: All members are encouraged to contribute and join in. We encourage members to be in charge of their own destiny, we form local skirmishing parties and they set up their own attacking squads. Our members are not only allowed but encouraged to have their say. We have a thread called "Ask the Council" which is there so that members can get an answer to any and all questions.

2. Shared workload: We share the inevitable sitting and op planning responsibilities throughout the council and other tribe members

3. Activity: WET set up the rule that activity was key from the outset, no excuses. Our members know that if they go inactive they get kicked. We hope that the non-dictatorship approach allows people to feel that they want to be active.

I do not know how other tribes can function without a large team of players who help to spread the load but I know that this is a game and I want it to stay that way.

Just re-reading this thread has made me realise that I have let a few things slip in WET and maybe that's why we have dropped temporarily to number two.

Red

Oh and you also need lots of luck, WET are lucky because we have great players