Discussion- Teaching New Players.

DeletedUser

So I thought this would be a good discussion point for the forums.

How do you teach a new player to play in a way that benifit's there account??

E.g
How do you pick a player to teach, and at what point in the game play?

What's the first things you teach them?

Would you get them an invite to your tribe to teach them?

Would you rather co-play them to teach or them have thier own account?

^ Above are just some of the things that can be discussed, but its open to anything that would help new players.

Maybe some less experienced players will post what they;d like to be taught....

DeletedUser

How about starting with farming, as the basis for growing, then perhaps Nukes (what is a proper nuke), trains, sniping, dodging and so on.

DeletedUser

Mike & Luca's start up technique would be handy :icon_biggrin:

DeletedUser

Invite them to your tribe, weekly sits with instructions... I assume thats how TuToR worked on W7..... Thats probably the best way.

Only teach people that have been present in forums to ensure you are bringing along a player that will benifit the community as a whole...

Actualy do it... I have been waiting for someone to teach me for a year lol!

DeletedUser6695

How about starting with farming, as the basis for growing, then perhaps Nukes (what is a proper nuke), trains, sniping, dodging and so on.

Farming is the easy bit early on, its keeping your queues running and building in the right order that is the problem :p

DeletedUser

Farming is the easy bit early on, its keeping your queues running and building in the right order that is the problem :p

Which is influenced by how much or how well you farm early on. Not that hard to choose a somewhat good build order, only some common sense. (Of course you'll do a bit better by working it out through math)

DeletedUser6695

But farming cant really be taught, just send in the smallest groups you can get away with, without loss as often as possible

DeletedUser

Ok, I'll bite.

I'm still what I would consider a new player. I played one world beyond a few hundred points before, but got involved in a tribe which fell apart at the first sign of any real pressure. I then got involved in a much better tribe (TEAM on W2), but had to quit due to family commitments (I stayed around to manage my transition of my villages, but that was it). I'm back now on W8, and I'm looking for a tribe. I have a handle on most of the basics, have a reasonable farming rota established, and have a 8 hour queue on most things as I type.

The problem I find is that because I didn't join on day 1 (2,3,4....etc) and I'm fairly far out from the very centre (just inside K46) is that most tribes near me are mass recruiters. They look at my points (top 5 for this k) and just invite me. Whereas I'm still really too small and far for one of the more central more established tribes. I'd be more than interested in anyone who can show me those things that I'm missing out by trying to do it all myself, or can only otherwise learn through the lessons of fire (ie if/when I see a noble train heading my way: learn to snipe or die).

DeletedUser

But farming cant really be taught, just send in the smallest groups you can get away with, without loss as often as possible

Well, yanno, if it's a new player who doesn't know that then you've just taught them :icon_biggrin:

OT: How about the art of building properly, including troops. Whether to be defensive or offensive, learn to judge your area, who might be a threat and what to do about them and when.

Me drunk now. Is it Christmas yet?:xmas_redfaced:

DeletedUser

When I was getting taught by Hossain he started with teaching me T-Trains, then Farming using scripts (already knew most of it) followed by the majority of quickbar scripts and what they do/how to use them/when to use them.
He didn't have to teach me perfect backtiming because I figured that out for myself but he also helped me learn perfect timing with pre-nukes before a train and support after it. He told me to read a couple start up guides and I have know got my own which works pretty awesome.
Finally he taught me sniping and said I am done with learning! Yaaaay <3

DeletedUser5582

Ok, I'll bite.

I'm still what I would consider a new player. I played one world beyond a few hundred points before, but got involved in a tribe which fell apart at the first sign of any real pressure. I then got involved in a much better tribe (TEAM on W2), but had to quit due to family commitments (I stayed around to manage my transition of my villages, but that was it). I'm back now on W8, and I'm looking for a tribe. I have a handle on most of the basics, have a reasonable farming rota established, and have a 8 hour queue on most things as I type.

The problem I find is that because I didn't join on day 1 (2,3,4....etc) and I'm fairly far out from the very centre (just inside K46) is that most tribes near me are mass recruiters. They look at my points (top 5 for this k) and just invite me. Whereas I'm still really too small and far for one of the more central more established tribes. I'd be more than interested in anyone who can show me those things that I'm missing out by trying to do it all myself, or can only otherwise learn through the lessons of fire (ie if/when I see a noble train heading my way: learn to snipe or die).

it is hard I think in your position to find someone who can teach you (and not just what to click as that is not a huge part of the game). I would mail a well written (like your post) mail to a few of the names here (try Meh Meh Meh as have a sneaky feeling they are lovely guys) and see if they can't coach you a bit?

Otherwise look at bigger tribes who are the closest to you, even if they still a long way off, and explain your situation and maybe an invite will arrive and then enjoy your time on the rim munching the mass recruiters!

DeletedUser

it is hard I think in your position to find someone who can teach you (and not just what to click as that is not a huge part of the game). I would mail a well written (like your post) mail to a few of the names here (try Meh Meh Meh as have a sneaky feeling they are lovely guys) and see if they can't coach you a bit?

Otherwise look at bigger tribes who are the closest to you, even if they still a long way off, and explain your situation and maybe an invite will arrive and then enjoy your time on the rim munching the mass recruiters!

Luca is certainly not a lovely guy! :icon_evil: He is a bully and a woman stealer! :p

However, I am talking to Hewes at the moment and may show him what I know if he wants it :) not saying I am a good teacher but I am sure I could teach him a few things and he approached me a while back very nicely, very politely which I find it is always nice when I wake up to mails from people being very kind to me :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The best thing needed to teach someone is someone who wants to learn. If someone makes an effort to learn, by reading guides and asking questions, he will do much better than the player who sits there waiting to be spoon fed. I was a duke in TuToR in Uk7, and a lot of players there were expecting to be spoon fed and only a few actually bothered to ask questions. However, a decent tribe is extremely beneficial to new players. Being surrounded by excellent players who know what they're doing rubs off on people; and it gives them an environment to learn. I'll take for example, Pervis' tribes (Rumble Uk3, etc.). Being in a tribe like that, it is extremely hard not to learn when people are constantly posting on skype what they're doing. It let's people ask questions like "My stable is running for x hours, should I upgrade my HQ to y?", which, if asked on the forums, would result in several answers, most of which would be wrong.

Teaching should start from the start of the world so you can teach them about game mechanics, and how to adapt. For example, how many spears should you send for your first run (Non pally world)? I'm sure several people on these forums would be sending the 5 free spears and think "profit!". In my opinion, you only need to teach people up to around the 10k stage. After that, the skills you learn don't change, you just have to use them in different forms and it lets the player grow and experience by himself. Late game, you learn nothing new, except the pressure of dealing with thousands of incomings, which you can only overcome with practice/experience.

Another important aspect in doing well is personality. Backtiming, snipining, noble trains, etc. can all be taught easily (love how people boast about 150ms trains when all they're doing is holding down a button :icon_rolleyes:), but the ability to adapt to a new situation, to improvise and to experiment is something which people have, or they don't.

As for actual teaching method; look for the best player you can find, get his skype and nag him to teach you. It's then up to that player to teach you what he knows. Also, it is sometimes detrimental to learn from a player whose not good, even if he is better than you. He might teach you things which don't help, like incorrect farming techniques, etc. Then it's much harder for you to lose your habits and learn again from a better player.

DeletedUser

i have thought this myself....

well i taught a player close by to me who has helped me with support and tag teaming .
he is an ok player but he needs improving....

* bookmark farming (the first single benefit to any account)
* t trains
* sniping good ms trains (train support)
* scripts
* backtime
* sorting and managing an account ( if done right it can improve an account)

-nameo-

DeletedUser

posting on externals and looking up guides on externals I think helped me the most. Even something simple like, what you should build your town buildings up to on all your towns I learned by posting on the externals when I was first playing on uk2.

I like what AP said about players having to ask rather than be spoon fed. If someone is asking questions, they're more likely to actually learn and practice what they learn imo.

So I guess if you were to teach someone to play, teach them the basics that others listed above, but also teach them to ask questions if they don't understand something or think there may be a better way to do something.

DeletedUser

I would have to say that the best teaching/training is playing the speed server. Whether you're being taught or teaching, the speed server allows you to cover alot of ground without it taking months to do so, such as Nukes/Turtles, sending trains, proper builds; some rounds even dodging, sniping, backtiming, and farming. I know times have changed a bit since I've played, but when speeds used to be 50 speed, not 400, it was pretty good schooling. Not only allowed for quick rebuilds and quick "getting back on your feet" but also didn't hurt the ego too much since you didn't invest months even years into your account. Speed is also a great place for older more experienced players to test out new strategies. One of the only things you can't really do anymore in the speeds now-a-days is proper farming, but once you have a good grasp on how to play speed and the ins and outs of making a steady account, farming pretty much automatically seems like second nature and is a cinch to grasp. Alot of people that play the speed servers and do well, can usually do great in a slow world, but players that are really good in a slow world, can't keep up in a speed server without some practice runs.

Nauzhror

Reaction score
Alot of people that play the speed servers and do well, can usually do great in a slow world, but players that are really good in a slow world, can't keep up in a speed server without some practice runs.

Not sure I'd agree. There's certainly some speed players that can additionally play well on slow worlds, but the majority in my experience can't. Mainly because on speed things like build order and farming efficiency aren't key to success. They can usually time well, but timing is only a portion of the key to success when playing on a slow world.

DeletedUser1511

i have thought this myself....

well i taught a player close by to me who has helped me with support and tag teaming .
he is an ok player but he needs improving....

* bookmark farming (the first single benefit to any account)
* t trains
* sniping good ms trains (train support)
* scripts
* backtime
* sorting and managing an account ( if done right it can improve an account)

-nameo-
For Bookmark farming there is a thread on forums by Anon which explains it perfectly, search for in on the guides section. If your friend doesn't understand after that then he has problems....... If for some reason that thread is gone, post here and i will explain it bro.

T Trains too there is a thread on it. I think the orginal method of holding T and doing 4 commands is now illegal, but look up the thread there is a new method. It is quite self explanatory, but the number of tabs needing to be opened could vary depending on connection.

Sniping, well once they have T trains down, simply split parties and use a sniping calc for launch times. ( Script-Should be legal)

Scripts, this is impossible to teach....I mean you only need to click a button and all scripts have different conditions. I mean most good mass recruiters take you to mass recruit and you need to click. If you struggle to understand that then.. But if it is how to fix scripts ect, beyond learning java or some coding language i ain't sure that can be helped bro.

Sorting and managing and account, is not something that should be taught to be honest. A player should run an acount how they feel it is comfortable. I mean beyond recruiting troops and building stuff, what is there to teach....
Now if you mean teaching what to build, they yeah the player needs to be taught the basic mechanics of the game. But they are pretty obvious. Have said player study the help guide, and use a tool such as twmentor or something, to work out build times with hq. Then they can compare that to farming income, since that is the only actual limit on growth at a single village. And if i a player understand how to build a single village, the idea of building others ones is something they should pick up easy.

Bah i am bored sorry for the wall of text