eLeMeNOhPi’s Anti-Spike strategy

DeletedUser

eLeMeNOhPi’s Anti-Spike strategy

@Mods: I wanted this topic to be in W2.co.uk forums as long as it is going to start soon. If you think it should be somewhere else, feel free to move it.

Almost all the good players, farm even in the Beginner Protection time of the game. As you know in beginner protection you are only able to attack barbarians and bonus villages (grey villages). The only thing that concerns many good players is getting spiked. Here is a brief definition of spiking from Agent Incognito’s TW Dictionary (.net) for those who are not familiar with this word:

Spiking: Used in the early stages of the game, this technique involves players sending a limited number of swords (ideally) and/or their paladin to support grey villages. This causes other players in the area to lose their troops when they attempt to farm the village. A questionable technique with as many pros as cons.

Most of people think the only way to avoid being spiked is to have a good luck. But here I want to give you some hints to lessen the damage of getting spiked with your skill, not your luck. And this guide is only made for the worlds with paladin.

Many people start farming when they got paladin and most of the times it helps them have more resource. But they may lose their troops easily by getting spiked. Here I wanna suggest you a way to have secure farming.

If you have a barbarian near you try to have statue as soon as possible, (sooner than anyone else in your area) And build paladin just after that. If u don’t have a nearby barbarian, just start over or send “Be My Farm” messages to all the players around u before the statue building time is over. (about 21 min in 1 game-speed worlds) If you are lucky, you will surely see grey villages around you soon.

Note: I said build statue as soon as possible. I mean as soon as you are ready. For example first u should build 1 level for each resource camp of course.

If you could have paladin sooner than other players near your barbarian, try to farm a village just when your paladin training-time finished.

Stop farming when you noticed there are other players around you which also may have paladin, because they may support barbarians around to kill your pally. Try to build barracks and 14 spear fighters. Do not farm any villages unless you are sure they are not spiked till u reached 14 sp. (which is somehow impossible for most of the players)
In attacking a village (without wall) with 14 spears (-25% luck) you will lose 3 spear fighters. With an easy calculation you will find out, a full farm with 11 left spear fighters have more benefit than the 3 lost ones.

-25% luck:
In attacking with 14 spear fighters =>
11 spear fighters survive (11*25 = 275 haul)
3 spear fighters die (3*90 = 270 loss)
As u see 275>270
Btw:
90 = total resource loss from 1 spear fighter (50 Wood + 30 Clay + 10 wood = 90 total)
25 = carrying capacity of one spear fighter

It’s true that if you attack a village normally with a pally and spears you will have less loss from spears but just think of getting spiked only with one paladin. Almost all of your troops will die, and the defender may not even use his pally. o_O So the loss will be much greater.

A pally alone won’t die in attacking an empty village with no wall. So I suggest you to attack all the villages you want first with your paladin and check the report, if paladin survived, it is safe for farming, if not, you should be so careful about that village cause it is 99% spiked. In this strategy paladin works as a scout which even brings 33 from each resources when survives.

You may attack any grey village with your pally and attack it with your spears (at least 14) when your paladin is hitting the target in less than 10 minutes. In this way you may cancel your attacks if your pally dies and also you can farm much faster if it survives. As time goes on you will have more spear fighters and you will have less resource loss from losing 2 or 3 spear fighters in each attack.

You may continue using this strategy till u get axe. After that, u can easily rely on your axes to clear the villages not just avoiding the loss.

Note: if you are using this strategy, you should upgrade your timber camp, much more than the other resource camps, because for example in attacking with 14 spears and -25% luck:

3 lost spear fighters => will lose 150 wood 90 clay 30 iron
11 survived spear fighters => will bring 92 wood 92 clay 92 iron

If you count the 33 from each resource which your pally brings, you will have 125 wood, 125 clay and 125 iron totally and lose 150 wood, 90 clay and 30 iron. As u see, you will need much more timber camp to balance your resources in your warehouse.

Final Notes:

This strategy is not tested enough times and may have some errors but as long as we have a 5 day beginner protection in W2.co.uk, I thought, it might be a good chance for many players to know this strategy.

If you think you can help me to improve it, I’ll be glad to have a chat about it and make it better.

This strategy were written only in 1 hours, so forgive me for grammar/Vocabulary mistakes.

Regards,

eLeMeNOhPi

DeletedUser

I like it Ele, as I was reading through, I did see flaws in it. But I am glad that you mentioned a few later on and how to comprehend it.

DeletedUser2403

It´s an idea really...

I think that players who do that are not very well headed...:icon_rolleyes:

But either way...since it´s a real scenario and players do adopt that tactic...i think the strategy is good...i´ll try it and see some pros and cons...:)

DeletedUser117

Its a great guide for farming the only thing I would suggest is send spears along with the pally as soon as you get them. Your calcs are based on sending spears alone - Usually spears dont die when you send a Pally with them. Even sending one spear with a pally at -25% luck allows both to survive.

Most of the time you can tell when ppl have a Pally as they have a jump of 34 points, add the requirements of Barracks, HQ and mines (at least 5 on Wood, 3 on clay and 1 or 2 on iron) you get a point ave of about 127. This will tell you at least they have a capacity of spiking. To find out what a players growth rate is - just see their stats on twstats - click on the player history and you can see daily point increases and any changes in OD.

Also even if you send 14 spears with a palli to a village that has been spiked by someone with only palli all your troops will die giving you a loss of 720 wood 440 clay and 180 iron, with only your attacker loosing a Palli cost of 20, 20 and 40 and 6 hours farming time to rebuild palli. So there is no real sure fire way of getting out of a spike - unless you use scouts initially to find them.

The other way of knowing your neighbours are farming is by looking at their ODA. Even if they havent killed any troops, they will still have an ODA of 0. Also the fact that your farms are running dry is another indication. If you have a few active ppl as your neighbours you can send a spear as support to the bonus vils around and watch what time the spear gets attacked and which of your neighbours got an ODA increase. This will help you to figure out who will be a threat later.

Sending restart messages are all well and good - but most people jack up and just turtle to spite you. Or as many good players use aliases, you might just find out that some TW vet with 2+ years exp is your neighbour - thus ruining your chances of growing in your current area.

In conclusion use the start guides if you are unsure and check your neighbours constantly. If you find yourself being out grown by your neighbours - try being more active in farming or restart. Once you find your self being outgrown by three or more players in your area, you may have to restart yourself. the best thing about restarting is the further away from the rim you get the more chance you have of thriving.

DeletedUser

Its a great guide for farming the only thing I would suggest is send spears along with the pally as soon as you get them. Your calcs are based on sending spears alone - Usually spears dont die when you send a Pally with them. Even sending one spear with a pally at -25% luck allows both to survive.

Most of the time you can tell when ppl have a Pally as they have a jump of 34 points, add the requirements of Barracks, HQ and mines (at least 5 on Wood, 3 on clay and 1 or 2 on iron) you get a point ave of about 127. This will tell you at least they have a capacity of spiking. To find out what a players growth rate is - just see their stats on twstats - click on the player history and you can see daily point increases and any changes in OD.

Also even if you send 14 spears with a palli to a village that has been spiked by someone with only palli all your troops will die giving you a loss of 720 wood 440 clay and 180 iron, with only your attacker loosing a Palli cost of 20, 20 and 40 and 6 hours farming time to rebuild palli. So there is no real sure fire way of getting out of a spike - unless you use scouts initially to find them.

The other way of knowing your neighbours are farming is by looking at their ODA. Even if they havent killed any troops, they will still have an ODA of 0. Also the fact that your farms are running dry is another indication. If you have a few active ppl as your neighbours you can send a spear as support to the bonus vils around and watch what time the spear gets attacked and which of your neighbours got an ODA increase. This will help you to figure out who will be a threat later.

Sending restart messages are all well and good - but most people jack up and just turtle to spite you. Or as many good players use aliases, you might just find out that some TW vet with 2+ years exp is your neighbour - thus ruining your chances of growing in your current area.

In conclusion use the start guides if you are unsure and check your neighbours constantly. If you find yourself being out grown by your neighbours - try being more active in farming or restart. Once you find your self being outgrown by three or more players in your area, you may have to restart yourself. the best thing about restarting is the further away from the rim you get the more chance you have of thriving.
Thanks. You mentioned some good points. Maybe i'll edit my post and put some of your hints on it, if u don't mind.

DeletedUser117

1 paladin actually kills 11 spears and 1 paladin-.-'

I thought it killed more than that (up to 13?). But you will loose your capacity to farm with it by sending it out on a spike. Easier to send a couple spears for spiking if you were going down that road they arent as cheap as a pally, but they can be remade in a couple minutes - not 6 hours :icon_confused:

Also you will be at risk now of loosing your pally as most ppl have around 50 or more spears so spiking at this stage can be a waste. Maybe only to check for acitivty of certain farmers in your area. I believe that spiking with palli is only good for the first day of farming. But meh each to his own.