Empires and the Cost of a better life

DeletedUser

Empires and the Cost of a better life​

Following on from another thread... This thread is about the comparison between past Empires, and what they did to achieve their domination.

I am under the belief that many of the past empires brought plenty of good things to the countries they conquered, but at what price? Was the price worth it for future prosperity? Should the conquered countries given in to avoid bloodshed?

I'll take the Mongol empire as an example. They conquered many lands through barbaric acts to begin with, and using their hordes managed to amass a huge empire. As their empire grew they would often offer surrender to areas they were to conquer before they went in and wiped the place, sometimes if they particularly disliked a place they would simply raze the whole place to the ground, kill all the inhabitants and move on. Although to the lands that they didn't do this too, they brought a new system of equality and prosperity. They were one of the first peoples in the world to see women as equal to men, and women were allowed to sit on a panel of elders in their townships. The Mongols were extremely tolerant of religion and promoted religious freedom. They allowed relative peace throughout their land for traders. Genghis Khan even set up a set of codes for everyone to live by called the Yassa. The cost was bloodshed in the lands to which the mongols hated and genocide was not uncommon.

Was the deaths worth the benefits for the living and those who would grow up in the mongolian empire. But most importantly, should other countries have laid down their swords and allowed themselves to go under the rule of an empire that could benefit them enormously?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

What have the Romans ever done for us?

Aquaduct, sanitation, roads, irrigation, medicine, education, health and the wine! And order!

DeletedUser

Aquaduct, sanitation, roads, irrigation, medicine, education, health and the wine! And order!

Exactly what I'm talking about. But then on the other end of the scale is enslavery on indigenous people and the establishment of a crooked class system. Not to mention the war (Well it was more like massacre against the enemies they were up against).

Was it worth it? Also, most of the stuff you listed wasn't actually for the majority of people - well especially not in britain. Sanitation could only be afforded by the rich, many Britons didn't own their own farms, medicine and education had to be paid for. Wine... yea wine was a good one. :icon_biggrin:

Not to mention the Britons just dropped everything the Romans left us. Skip forward to the 1500s and they're in worse off conditions because they were stubborn and failed to learn a lesson from the Romans :lol:

DeletedUser5175

Really the Romans invented Education? and medicine? and roads? and sanitation? wow it must have been a bleak bleak world before Romans made all those things for us - best of all is inventing 'health' reading that did bring a smile to my face

And my respect for the Greeks, Indians, Japanese and Chinese etc has taken a big hit, lazy beggars that they were sitting around waiting for the Romans to invent everything for them lol.

DeletedUser

Really the Romans invented Education? and medicine? and roads? and sanitation? wow it must have been a bleak bleak world before Romans made all those things for us - best of all is inventing 'health' reading that did bring a smile to my face

And my respect for the Greeks, Indians, Japanese and Chinese etc has taken a big hit, lazy beggars that they were sitting around waiting for the Romans to invent everything for them lol.

YOU FORGOT WINE :icon_wink: THE MAIN ONE

Though he meant they spread them, that would be logical

DeletedUser

Yes. The world must truly be bleak for you if you haven't seen "Life of Brian". The "What have the Romans ever done for us?" has become a pretty known quote from there.

And them being a British comedy group, I thought most of the people would get the reference as it is a ... you know... UK based server.

DeletedUser

Yes. The world must truly be bleak for you if you haven't seen "Life of Brian". The "What have the Romans ever done for us?" has become a pretty known quote from there.

And them being a British comedy group, I thought most of the people would get the reference as it is a ... you know... UK based server.

Life of Brian is awesome :lol: I'm gonna see if I can find it on the internet feel like watching it now :icon_biggrin:

DeletedUser

You'd think everyone would know of them, given how famous they are.

DeletedUser3312

Exactly what I'm talking about. But then on the other end of the scale is enslavery on indigenous people and the establishment of a crooked class system. Not to mention the war (Well it was more like massacre against the enemies they were up against).

Was it worth it? Also, most of the stuff you listed wasn't actually for the majority of people - well especially not in britain. Sanitation could only be afforded by the rich, many Britons didn't own their own farms, medicine and education had to be paid for. Wine... yea wine was a good one. :icon_biggrin:

Not to mention the Britons just dropped everything the Romans left us. Skip forward to the 1500s and they're in worse off conditions because they were stubborn and failed to learn a lesson from the Romans :lol:
No they weren't...? :icon_confused:

DeletedUser

Let's repalce that with 800s and he might have a point.

Might.

DeletedUser3312

Britain.

Built a navy
Sailed across seas to find new lands
Dominated native populations with modern weaponry
Traded
War'd with France
Took their empire
American revolution
War'd with France again
Took more of their empire
War'd with Germany
Took their empire
Traded coloniy freedom for support in WW2
Cold War
Iraq War

What they gave:

Democracy
Medicine
Tools
Order
Law
English language
music

...off the top of my head. If I could be bothered, I could explain why the British empire was the most succesful and most definitive in forming the world we have today, but it's self-explanatory. Just look outside.

DeletedUser

Also, we taught them savages over yonder why it is better to put milk in the tea.

They'd didn't seem to get the message though.

DeletedUser

HAHA, you westerners and your empires. I RUN Australia.

australiaPM.jpg

COME AT ME BRO.