Heavy Cavalry Noobs?

DeletedUser

People are forgetting the fact that this game is built on tribes/support co-ordination.

If I had a full offensive village and I wiped a player out for a member I would hope they supported me in situations such as these.

[th]IF you would clear a village for a tribesmate. Exactly. Sadly it's not happening as half as often as those all-offense player begging for tribal support. [/th]

DeletedUser2118

As long as we're talking about early effective defense, and the one saying
For the sake of it I could counter the situation by saying that the person should be more diplomatic, and not get into said situation.

I wanna just talk about diplomatic defense. I'm sure many people have gotten messages along the lines of "stop attacking, I'll join your tribe". "Or stop attacking, I didn't do anything to you". Well unsurprisingly against the players who use mass paper thin attacks a similar rebuttal can work wonders. I have been in the situation where I played full O and was completely cleared in my sleep, and my tribe wouldn't give me support. I was a farm for under a day before I convinced the large massed tribe, that I had learned my lesson ;0. This has worked multiple times to avoid having to use up the emergency D I've made while playing an incredibly O focused start up, which would never have lasted anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I once convinced a tribe not to rim me, even after I account sat one of their barons, mass mailed everyone saying they were merging with the #1 tribe, then kicked them out, and once everyone was gone, nobled their leader.

Just backing up elegant, Its amazing how well diplomacy works.

DeletedUser

True, but diplomacy is considered second class these days. Sometimes a few words work better than an attack.

DeletedUser

[th]Too true. You calculated one attack vs. your horses. HC in the first village needs a lot of ressources. Thus I for one have about 500-1000 (depends on my activity) LC before starting HC. Otherwise a constant production is very hard to achieve. I wouldn't try to calculate with 1000 HC in such early stages vs. the papercut attacks either. And the sitiuation with a wall 15+ for an all-off player also isn't realistic, whereas players with defensive build usually do build walls. This wasn't a matter of "my build versus your build", nor did your calculation prove anything of the mentioned situation. My argument was directed against the typical all-offense player. I nobled enough of them in the past and had the luck of few losses against a wall 5-10 at most in nobling stage.

(Mass) attacks from 10+ hours don't happen in early stages? Lucky you if you've never experienced it. May I ask if you are usually playing your pretty much known nick in all worlds you start? Or are you just using different nicks like in this world for example, which would make a massive difference in this case to see what I'm talking about. I tried it in one of my last worlds in .net. Starting with a new or unknown nick indeed makes a huge difference.

Once more: Neither the all-offense, nor the HC strategy - or any other strategy is "perfect" under all circumstances. It all depends on your personal situation, activity and your neighbourhood. Adapting these factors and more is the key to success and divides the skilled players from the brainless-stict-to-guide-following players. Sadly the "all-offense strategy" is often published to be the best overall in all situations, which is simply not true. For example building a 1:4 ratio of spears:axes in the barracks and HC in stables will provide you with a more flexible build than the all-offense. Good enough to be prepared defensively and offensively.

Most of the best players out there are building some defenses at least to participate in tribal defensive power. I remember others like Vik/vpar2 to go all-offense in his first 10 villages. But that was an example of coordination, because two other players were all-defense and got their targets cleared by Vik and defended his villages in return. Such scenarios are the rare exceptions, but in this case the selfishness of the "the tribe will protect me somehown"-thinking, which most all-offense player follow, wasn't given. [/th]
To answer all your questions, I have not played under the name mattcurr since world 13. Lest 4 times, only one I stayed in was 27 till 100k I think but I started very far out on the rim, and was going through a lot I dont think I ever surpassed a rank of 30. So no unless I was number one in the world, I have never had issues with random incoming. But examine that situation, I am not to be arrogant but I am more known than most, and I dont run into this problem, most people wont run into and it can be avoided. So I really dont think its the norm, I think its a possibility but I dont create or disprove strategies on the minority.

I have gone pure offense 3 times, all three I had my wall at least 17 before I nobled, and I tend to also try to get my res mines to 20,20,20 in preparation of doing a a noble train that will slow my farming. Not all do this, but I think most good ones do.

[th]And I won't continue to show more flaws in your reflectoins like LC-heavy off-only player usually have small pits, they rely on the farming income more than the "average turtle". Letting their LC at home over hours and hours to defend against papercut attacks hinder them extremely much in keeping their queues alive and so on and so on.[/th]
No that is exactly the opposite of what I would like to see you do, I would love to air the flaws of both sides. But not in the context of this one event, more in the totality of the two strategies. Allowing for people to see both sides in their entirety not just the little flashes that two people arguing allow to be seen so they look better.

To be honest I would like to hear what you think the advantage of building hc is over building, sw/sp split with the barracks for the minor attacks. Which is what I do, because I see no need for a legitimate defensive army ie the hc when you will still be unable to stop a nuke with it. And when supporting with hc in real hc strat you cripple your offensive army. Or to talk about the fact that this should not be an individual decisions but a tribal mandated one in order to not only make sure that all players have good teaching themselves but when tribemates support eachother that they all have the same techs.

Last edited by a moderator: