Increasing Tuition Fees : Yay or nay?

DeletedUser

I don't beleive that parties should desperately stick to promises. I'd much rather have a party ignore their promises for the right reasons ather than follow them dogmatically into ruination.

Thats pretty much what the Lib Dems found out, they may want to make universities free but they can't and would cause problems if they tried too.

And radarr, a new party wouldn't necesarily have to stick closely to an ideology. It wouldn't matter if we had another party centreground, as long as they were different

DeletedUser

I don't beleive that parties should desperately stick to promises. I'd much rather have a party ignore their promises for the right reasons ather than follow them dogmatically into ruination.

Thats pretty much what the Lib Dems found out, they may want to make universities free but they can't and would cause problems if they tried too.

And radarr, a new party wouldn't necesarily have to stick closely to an ideology. It wouldn't matter if we had another party centreground, as long as they were different

They found the realism of real government. When in power you often find that some of your policies are impossible to achieve.

DeletedUser

That policy wasn't impossible to achieve; you simply cut in other areas to compensate for students. Which is a fair thing to do as like I said before, jobs that require university attendance are likely to be the jobs that can power the UK out of recession.

DeletedUser

That policy wasn't impossible to achieve; you simply cut in other areas to compensate for students. Which is a fair thing to do as like I said before, jobs that require university attendance are likely to be the jobs that can power the UK out of recession.

What else is their to cut?

DeletedUser8643

I don't really get the objections to these 'rises'

first it is not a rise but the maximum that a uni can charge, should a uni wish to continue charging 3000 then they can happily do so.

Should I open a small university, say to teach noobs how to play tw, who the hell is the government to tell me I can't charge 10,000. Its my uni, if I wanna charge 10k and I can get the students to pay that, then what is the problem?

maybe the government should cap house prices too. So that no house can be sold for more than 100k.....ridiculous? yes...but no more than telling independant universities what they are allowed to charge.

DeletedUser613

first it is not a rise but the maximum that a uni can charge, should a uni wish to continue charging 3000 then they can happily do so.

Should I open a small university, say to teach noobs how to play tw, who the hell is the government to tell me I can't charge 10,000. Its my uni, if I wanna charge 10k and I can get the students to pay that, then what is the problem?

maybe the government should cap house prices too. So that no house can be sold for more than 100k.....ridiculous? yes...but no more than telling independant universities what they are allowed to charge.

no, you are wrong.

It is a minimium of 6000 something, so they cannot continue to charge 3000.
Universitys were mostly funded by the government thats what the problem is, these aren't private uni's.
So because either way, the government were cutting funds by something like 80%, it essentially meant the unis wouldnt be able to survive on 3000 as the uni's were relying more on the students now.

However if the government hadnt made such drastic cuts to it in the first place, then this situation wouldn't have arisen.

DeletedUser

and likely will have the wage packets to go with them too as opposed to your run of the mill 9-5 job.

So I believe that there should be a system that once you gain employment in the field you studied for then you should start paying back any fees incurred over that period (possibly with a small interest since it has in effect been loaned to you).

The problem occurs though when someone leaves the country or never leaves Uni education. Pretty hard to get money out of a student or someone who you aren't able to tax.

Obviously though for a government/s (worse problems here) who are strapped for cash they will have to make unpopular decisions. If they didn't get you this way they would have found another way to screw you. Thats just the cyclical nature of booms and bust.

DeletedUser282

You totally misunderstand. University's receive large amounts of government money so that they can run, this amount has been drastically reduced, and the cap has been raised to 9k, to continue running universities will pretty much have to raise it to 9k. Universities (excluding Buckingham university) are run in the public sector.

I recommend that you research some things before you make such ridiculous comments.

DeletedUser

Everything else except uni education?

I don't think that's the best solution. You have to replace it with something else getting cut so let's scrap grant systems oh and the maintenance allowances let's scrap them as well. I don't know how much money that will save for the tution fee's so might as well reduce pensions.

DeletedUser

Everything else except uni education?

80% cuts or something like they put to it, whilst cutting other sectors as little as 20%. The people do not mind picking up some slack, but not the majority which we already do through taxes.

Also, DUP ftw

DeletedUser

I don't think that's the best solution. You have to replace it with something else getting cut so let's scrap grant systems oh and the maintenance allowances let's scrap them as well. I don't know how much money that will save for the tution fee's so might as well reduce pensions.

In all fairness, funding uni education is more USEFUL than pensions. Pensions are a consumption cost, uni education is an investment cost.

DeletedUser

The thing that irritates me most about the way this is handled is that there is so much focus on HE funding, the crisis that FE is suffering is going largely unreported. The EMA is to be abolished, without an equivalent being introduced. FE funding is being hit almost as hard as HE, and the institutions that provide it do not have the same options for generating revenue as Universities. These are the courses that really do need protecting. Electricians and vet's nurses will be as useful to the economy as lawyers and accountants, but can be produced much quicker and many times more cheaply. Unfortunately the typical FE student is less likely to make their voice heard than the typical HE student, what with their big union and politically savy parents.

DeletedUser

If I had a pound for every time Nick Clegg has broke a promise I would have enough money to go to Uni.

DeletedUser

If I had a pound every time a politician broke a promise, i'd be able to buy a house.

DeletedUser

Depends on which mathematical average you are refering to. timmyhill probably refers to the most common, you probably refer to total wage of all workers divided by number of workers. The former is the real world the later is what governments try and use to say that people arnt suffering.

Also question your last sentance. How?

Mean is a better average than median. Median is the manure of all averages and the least useful in the study of mathematics.

Couldn't agree more - students spend 3 years of their lives - borrowing money - not contributing in tax etc - still part subsidised by the government, and there are so many of you we simply don't have the work in the country for that many graduates. Let alone the fact undergrads don't put thought into what their job will be after uni, the majority just pick a course that sounds interesting. I'll take media studies as an example, around 100k students per year goto study this subject. Around the country, new employment opportunities for this sector are around 6-7k jobs per year. So you tell me who's draining society chap..

BTW - Ade - don't you live in halls?how the hell do you pay council tax? Secondly, learn to read - i said the average wage when EXCLUDING FOOTBALLERS. Your figure is PRE fooball salaries..

Also, to say your a 'rich' student would be a massive overstatement. I'd say a rich student is someone who pays their own premmy instead of robbing their mums mobile phone..

Lol, maybe you just hate them because you weren't one? :icon_rolleyes:

Actually, nvm, let's stop derailing this thread and take it here.

Quoted here, just to stop another thread being derailed.

DeletedUser1942

students spend 3 years of their lives - borrowing money - not contributing in tax etc - still part subsidised by the government, and there are so many of you we simply don't have the work in the country for that many graduates. Let alone the fact undergrads don't put thought into what their job will be after uni, the majority just pick a course that sounds interesting. I'll take media studies as an example, around 100k students per year goto study this subject. Around the country, new employment opportunities for this sector are around 6-7k jobs per year. So you tell me who's draining society chap.

I think Timmy has hit the nail on the head with this comment.

In all fairness, funding uni education is more USEFUL than pensions. Pensions are a consumption cost, uni education is an investment cost.

Also, this is one of the worst comments i have ever seen on this forum!!
A lot of the people who get there pensions were around during the world war, fighting for this country ETC, most of them have worked for 40/50/60+ years, paying tax along the way, so to get something back for there efforts is better than granting students loads of money that just gets spent down the student union bar.

DeletedUser

Also, this is one of the worst comments i have ever seen on this forum!!
A lot of the people who get there pensions were around during the world war, fighting for this country ETC, most of them have worked for 40/50/60+ years, paying tax along the way, so to get something back for there efforts is better than granting students loads of money that just gets spent down the student union bar.

Economically speaking what he said was true. University is an investment whereas pensions are a drain. However I'm sure no one wants to remove pensions and leave people to die when they get old.