Insurance.

DeletedUser

Anyone here drive? What's your insurance like? I'm taking lessons, and started looking at cars. Saw a Fiesta, '98 plate, £300. Insurance? £1926.

DeletedUser9598

What ltr?

Tbh you gonna have to expect to pay that sort of money, insurance on my first car was £2500

Im still paying £900 a year now and ive been driving 5 years with 5 years no claims lol insurance is a joke

Maggie Wallis

Reaction score
It's not the value of you car that matters... it's the damage your do when you crash into some poor helpless old bloke driving his brand new BMW whilst your trying to show off to your mates or impress a girl...

DeletedUser

What ltr?

Tbh you gonna have to expect to pay that sort of money, insurance on my first car was £2500

Im still paying £900 a year now and ive been driving 5 years with 5 years no claims lol insurance is a joke

It's not the value of you car that matters... it's the damage your do when you crash into some poor helpless old bloke driving his brand new BMW whilst your trying to show off to your mates or impress a girl...

Aye, that makes sense. I think I'm going to go on my mothers insurance and pay the extra. I think​ that will be cheaper.

Maggie Wallis

Reaction score
tis cheaper at first... but in the long run is more expensive as you don't earn your own NCB...

plus if you crash on your mums insurance, hers will go through the roof...

not to mention that if it's your car, but insured in your mums name as you as a named driver, tis actually illegal and if you crash and the insurance company puts some effort in and finds out, they won't pay and they will ask the police to prosecute you for having no insurance which could result in you losing your license and having a very hard time ever getting insurance of any type ever again...

Not saying it will happen... but it could...

IMO buy a cheap car with a tiny engine, get 3rd party only insurance... keep your head down and drive safely for a few years...

guys are more likely to have a crash in the first 5 years of passing their test then not... crashing in a small engine car at 40 miles an hour and your probably walk away... crash at 60 miles an hour in a big engine car and your unlikely to walk away... but worst of all is that you crash and walk away, but kill someone else.. your mate in the back seat that didn't have his seat belt on... some innocent stranger minding their own business that you crash into... if that don't fudge up the rest of your life nothing will...

DeletedUser4083

Being in Sheffield at uni I haven't had need of a car, however the insurance was crazy when I learned to drive. WIth Dad as the named driver on the car with me on his policy and with 3rd party insurance that was £1600 for a year, on a 1.1L peugot 106 that was 10 years old. And that was back in Cambridge where the crime rate on cars was lower, so the insurance was slightly lower.
Now, living further north the insurance is a lot higher. If I registered it at my parents address (the most likely for me to register it to), then having the ST postcode means that the insurance price rockets, due to a higher volume of car theft and damages in the ST code area. I think a brief look last year to insure me on the same car was going to be £1900. Mind you, if I was to take the pass plus test, and the advanced driving course then that would certainly lower the insurance a bit, however a lack of money prevents me from being able to do that currently.

DeletedUser

tis cheaper at first... but in the long run is more expensive as you don't earn your own NCB...

plus if you crash on your mums insurance, hers will go through the roof...

not to mention that if it's your car, but insured in your mums name as you as a named driver, tis actually illegal and if you crash and the insurance company puts some effort in and finds out, they won't pay and they will ask the police to prosecute you for having no insurance which could result in you losing your license and having a very hard time ever getting insurance of any type ever again...

Not saying it will happen... but it could...

IMO buy a cheap car with a tiny engine, get 3rd party only insurance... keep your head down and drive safely for a few years...

guys are more likely to have a crash in the first 5 years of passing their test then not... crashing in a small engine car at 40 miles an hour and your probably walk away... crash at 60 miles an hour in a big engine car and your unlikely to walk away... but worst of all is that you crash and walk away, but kill someone else.. your mate in the back seat that didn't have his seat belt on... some innocent stranger minding their own business that you crash into... if that don't fudge up the rest of your life nothing will...

My mums plan is that she's insured for any car. Having me on the plan would make me insured for any car too.

DeletedUser

Being in Sheffield at uni I haven't had need of a car, however the insurance was crazy when I learned to drive. WIth Dad as the named driver on the car with me on his policy and with 3rd party insurance that was £1600 for a year, on a 1.1L peugot 106 that was 10 years old. And that was back in Cambridge where the crime rate on cars was lower, so the insurance was slightly lower.
Now, living further north the insurance is a lot higher. If I registered it at my parents address (the most likely for me to register it to), then having the ST postcode means that the insurance price rockets, due to a higher volume of car theft and damages in the ST code area. I think a brief look last year to insure me on the same car was going to be £1900. Mind you, if I was to take the pass plus test, and the advanced driving course then that would certainly lower the insurance a bit, however a lack of money prevents me from being able to do that currently.

My postcode in EH is grade B (on a scale of A - F with A being the best area and therefore cheapest insurance within that category (obviously there are exceptions)). Where I used to live is a D and my work is in a grade E*. Lol. I guess it depends where in ST you are situated.

Using this site.

DeletedUser269

It all depends on the car, for me it was cheaper to insure a Civic Type R then a 1.4 civic. Over Double the Horsepower. I believe its all down to statistics, the popular "young" person cars are in more accidents, so more £££. The less common are cheaper.

Maggie Wallis

Reaction score
My mums plan is that she's insured for any car. Having me on the plan would make me insured for any car too.

read the small print... if your mum is insured fully comp, like anyone, she is therefore insured 3rd party on any car she occasionally drives with the permission of the owner... adding you as a named driver wouldn't give you the same cover...

Unless your mum has a business type policy, for example a policy similar to what a mechanic would use that would provide cover on any car for all employees (and then you worked for your mum) you would still fall foul of the rules...

With a standard car insurance policy, If a car is insured by one person, with a named driver, the definition is that the car is mainly used by the insured with secondary use by the named driver... if you as the named driver then used the car more often, used it to drive to work or uni or whatever every day you are the main user of the car and are therefore in breach of the conditions of the insurance, making it invalid... invalid insurance is no different in law to having no insurance... basically the same as driving a car with no MOT, as a valid MOT is a condition of the insurance, not having a MOT voids your insurance...

Driving without insurance, is a good way for a new driving to get banned... the insurance company could, if they wished, also prosecute you for fraud, on the basis that you intentionally set up the insurance to reduce the cost rather than to insure the intended use of the car...

lots of people do it.. the insurance companies know lots of people do it... and they will refuse to pay out on a claim because of it... which makes them money as your paying car insurance on a policy that will never pay out, hence zero risk to the insurance company...

The easiest way for the insurance company to find out is if your mum is the main driver on her own car, with a policy in her name and then the main driver on your car with a policy in her name with you as a named driver... very easy to argue that no person can have two cars that they use as their main car, the fact that there is a named driver on one of the cars makes the other car the main use car hence meaning your screwed...

Your get away it all the time you don't crash and make a claim.. the police don't tend be arsed as long as you come up on the main insurance database as being insured...

But should you come round a corner on a motor car, do a skid, kill a kid... there be only a dustbin lid to court for you...

DeletedUser

So... would adding her as a named driver on my car make any difference?

Maggie Wallis

Reaction score
should reduce your premium.. but probably not a lot as still underwritten on you...

unfortunately young drivers are stuffed... as Jamie says advanced driving courses and and qualifications help... and do some research on the car, not aways the cheaper and slower the better, car safety is taken into account and although you probably don't want to drive one a old skoda estate is gonna be cheaper to drive than a old fiesta as no self respecting boy racer is gonna drive an estate, let alone a skoda...

DeletedUser

I'm just insured on mum's car, have been for a couple years, works out at around a £1000 a year for us and you build NCB doing so.

Understand that doing the extra tests would lower the insurance, but takes so much time and money to practise for them, then take them and it's a bit like, I just did all of that, why do I have to do it all again just because I'm young?

DeletedUser

should reduce your premium.. but probably not a lot as still underwritten on you...

unfortunately young drivers are stuffed... as Jamie says advanced driving courses and and qualifications help... and do some research on the car, not aways the cheaper and slower the better, car safety is taken into account and although you probably don't want to drive one a old skoda estate is gonna be cheaper to drive than a old fiesta as no self respecting boy racer is gonna drive an estate, let alone a skoda...

realistically i don't particularly care what I drive. It would be nice if it was small though, as small cars are undoubtedly easier to drive, imo. Or see if I could get a small van like:

220px-Royal_Mail_van,_Edinburgh.JPG

without the royal mail vinyl stickers? I'd drive the heck out of that. One of the IT teachers at my high school had one that was a RM van with the stickers stripped off prior to being sold, otherwise looked identical to the picture. Can pick them up pretty cheap, too. Less than £2k, which is the higher end of my budget.

DeletedUser

What would your opinion be on a motorized Patrick starfish?

DeletedUser

You sicken me.

Mother says she intends to insure my car(/van) for any driver and I'll pay for it. She did that with my sister and my sister saved something like £700 a year.