International Aid

DeletedUser

As a country we spend billions on international aid, is it worth it?

Would we not be better tyring to help though different methods?

Or reduce thre amount but control where it goes more?

Discuss :)

DeletedUser

Good topic. I'll probably have a lot to say once there are some replies, but to get things rolling...

The aid budget is used to help lift people out of poverty, but it is also a powerful political tool. As a wealthy country (and the UK is a very wealthy country), we buy a lot of influence with aid. It is an effective bargaining chip which can keep the recipient governments friendly. I'm not actually saying that this in itself is good or bad, but it is at least as important as the humanitarian aspect of aid giving. It secures our business interests (no coincidence that countries with a valuable natural resource tend to get more generous payments), helps keep "sympathetic" regimes in power, and buys support for our policies in global debates.

DeletedUser

As a country we spend billions on international aid, is it worth it?

Would we not be better tyring to help though different methods?

Or reduce thre amount but control where it goes more?

Discuss :)

I do feel, and have for awhile, been against international aid. The UK as a country does spend billions on the aid, yet what has it done really? There are several groups of countries we should support as we get something out of it: The EU (Well, we pay a fortune and get not a lot except trade links etc.), The Commonwealth (Most are under our Queen, others we are allies off. We share stronger ties with these than a lot of others), NATO (For our defence, obviously), UN (To build a stronger world) etc.

We support these nations and tend to get little out of it, not even that much power which is one of our aims. Secondly, why are we supporting other nations when we ourselves are in debt? Why are we giving away our money whilst we have poverty ourselves? We may never get rid of poverty 100%, but we can help.

There is also the point about the foreign aid. Most of it tends not to go to the people or to the cause. A lot of this money sits in the Government banks, directly into their pockets and so on.

DeletedUser

Yeah, there's often trouble with corruption and foreign aid.

Trading with these nations benefits them far more and helping them with major projects. otherwise our lending or giving of money is just a form of neo-colonialism

DeletedUser

One only has to look at africa to see what montetary aid has done. $500 billion dollars later Africa is poorer now that ever.

A better model of prosperity is to look at countries like signapore, south Korea, Japan, Taiwan where they have lifted millions out of poverty through economic freedom and trade

DeletedUser

We support these nations and tend to get little out of it, not even that much power which is one of our aims. Secondly, why are we supporting other nations when we ourselves are in debt? Why are we giving away our money whilst we have poverty ourselves? We may never get rid of poverty 100%, but we can help.
That's how the economy works right now. Governments keep taking debts and debts and in order to pay them back they take more debts. The reason they don't go bankrupt is because so many countries/banks etc trust them to pay back since they are politically influencial and economically strong countries.

One only has to look at africa to see what montetary aid has done. $500 billion dollars later Africa is poorer now that ever.
More often than not the aid money of Africa goes to buy food for the poor. That is an one time investment. To truly help Africa we'd need to directly interfere in their government and directing money towards causes that will yield benefits and profits further down the road so the investment would be earned back over time and actually continue to produce profits.

DeletedUser

A better model of prosperity is to look at countries like signapore, south Korea, Japan, Taiwan where they have lifted millions out of poverty through economic freedom and trade

That's not true across Africa really. Kenya have managed to do pretty decent with the little international aid they received and their economy is looking quite good. They actually have a 2030 Plan for the country which looks pretty decent. It's the corrupt and war-like African states that are currently failing and they need direct intervention like Fox says :icon_razz:

South East Asia also has it's problems. South Korea is an oppressive police state, the only difference between South and North Korea is a decent economy and the South Korean's don't execute everyone. Taiwan often faces issues with it's economy being closely linked to the United States economy. Japan was pretty decent until it overcooked it's economy and now it's debt to GDP ratio is over 200% Singapore is a pretty nice country, although I heard property prices are pretty high.

DeletedUser

By what measure is Africa "poorer than ever" ?
Rapidly rising inflatations, corrupt governments, AIDS becoming more and more of a common thing and all the local warlords causing commotions thus damaging the countries ability to try set up an infrastructure in peace.

"Poorer than ever" he obviously meant as an expression since it'd be quite illogical to compare a countries economy with one from ~100 years ago.

DeletedUser

So what was meant was "still poor"? That would have a very different impact on the argument. Rather than aid makes things worse it becomes aid hasn't fixed everything.

DeletedUser

So what was meant was "still poor"? That would have a very different impact on the argument. Rather than aid makes things worse it becomes aid hasn't fixed everything.
"Still poor" would make sense in the context he used.

Anyway, I don't represent Bad Horse here, and the topic is about International aid not decrypting and guessing what Bad Horse meant.

DeletedUser613

Aid can make things worse if the countries begin to rely on that aid as income, tied aid is also common where what may look good to the resource rich but poor african country at first, turns out to be some westerners steal all their goddam diamonds.

DeletedUser

You guys need to read this thing called the wealth of nations by adam smith, some enlightening stuff :p

That's how the economy works right now. Governments keep taking debts and debts and in order to pay them back they take more debts. The reason they don't go bankrupt is because so many countries/banks etc trust them to pay back since they are politically influencial and economically strong countries.

More often than not the aid money of Africa goes to buy food for the poor. That is an one time investment. To truly help Africa we'd need to directly interfere in their government and directing money towards causes that will yield benefits and profits further down the road so the investment would be earned back over time and actually continue to produce profits.

Giving money to people never works, money is nothing more than a means of exchange.. True wealth comes from the goods and services created in an economy. Money would be better spent starting up business in africa rather than giving it as aid.. and its not a one time investment, investments give you a return. give a bum food today and he would be still be begging for food tomorrow..

and we need to directly interfere in their government??? I am sorry but this never works out for good, every time another country interferes in another countries government, it just ends up messing it all up and causing more hatred. Its their government, we have no right to interfere. If they don't like it, they will overthrow it given time.

That's not true across Africa really. Kenya have managed to do pretty decent with the little international aid they received and their economy is looking quite good. They actually have a 2030 Plan for the country which looks pretty decent. It's the corrupt and war-like African states that are currently failing and they need direct intervention like Fox says :icon_razz:

South East Asia also has it's problems. South Korea is an oppressive police state, the only difference between South and North Korea is a decent economy and the South Korean's don't execute everyone. Taiwan often faces issues with it's economy being closely linked to the United States economy. Japan was pretty decent until it overcooked it's economy and now it's debt to GDP ratio is over 200% Singapore is a pretty nice country, although I heard property prices are pretty high.

What exactly isn't true? That africa is still poor and ever poorer after all the aid? google it

or that prosperity is created with economic freedom and trade? google it..

Kenya is doing better because it opened up its economy more, not because of international aid..

I agree its the corrupt, and war like states that are mostly failing, but thats because there is no economic freedom. Just look at what happen when Zimbabwe started closing off its economy to the world and the government started interfering in it.. So why even give them aid when mostly all of it is stolen? People tend to overthrow bad governments given time.

and I never said anything about political freedom, just economic freedom, a big difference ;) one can be politically free, i.e India is politically free but poor as hell because of low economic freedom enforced upon by the government. India started doing better economically because of removing a lot of bad government regulation.

A better example would be china, very few political freedom but is gaining more and more economic freedom as government removed a lot of regulations that hindered private business.

and Yes the Asian countries you listed has their own problems, but you cannot argue that they are not more prosperous than africa?

My argument is that instead of giving them all this money, just ask them to open upon their economy, actually invest in Africa and start business and trade with them. Heck give them free trade even, Africa would be less poor.. As places that opened up their economies prosper, other countries in africa will take note and follow.

This is what happen in asia, Japan saw what made britian and usa wealthy so they followed, south korean, taiwan and signapore followed japan, then most south east asian countries did the same, china saw all the people becoming richer and followed, India saw china was getting richer and followed.. and all without throwing billions in aid.. If china can lift millions out of poverty without little international aid, so can africa!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Giving money to people never works, money is nothing more than a means of exchange.. Sweeping statement, That is your opinion, but don't try passing it off as fact. I could give you money on the basis you invested it in a high interest bank account. Therefore it works. True wealth comes from the goods and services created in an economy. Agree, but again Refer to my original point. Money would be better spent starting up business in africa rather than giving it as aid..So you want the west to intervene even more in the politics and business of African nations, where we could teach them how to set up their own business instead...? and its not a one time investment, investments give you a return. give a bum food today and he would be still be begging for food tomorrow.. The Old "Teach a man to fish," fits the bill here.

and we need to directly interfere in their government??? By Making business over there, we would be directly interfering in their economy, which would also lead to interfering in their government. I am sorry but this never works out for good, every time another country interferes in another countries government, it just ends up messing it all up and causing more hatred. Again, sweeping statement. There are plenty of interventions where it has done a world of good, I will take the British empire as an example. Without us there would be a lot more uncivilized countries out there. Its their government, we have no right to interfere. If they don't like it, they will overthrow it given time. I agree we shouldn't interfere, but it's not necessarily true the people will overthrow the government, See North Korea.

What exactly isn't true? That africa is still poor and ever poorer after all the aid? google it Africa is a continent, you cannot class it as "the continent" getting poorer with time.

or that prosperity is created with economic freedom and trade? google it.. I think you're forgetting you're arguing with CTW veterans in Qwerty and Fox, people who spend a lot of their free time researching things like this, so i'd advise not to tell them to "google it..."

Kenya is doing better because it opened up its economy more, not because of international aid.. Kenya would never have been able to open up it's economy without international aid, both in money and advice.

I agree its the corrupt, and war like states that are mostly failing, but thats because there is no economic freedom. Not true.Just look at what happen when Zimbabwe started closing off its economy to the world and the government started interfering in it.. So why even give them aid when mostly all of it is stolen? People tend to overthrow bad governments given time. See Above point.

and I never said anything about political freedom, just economic freedom, a big difference ;) Actually there isn't much difference at all, you'd be naive to think that politics and economy weren't linked. one can be politically free, i.e India is politically free but poor as hell because of low economic freedom enforced upon by the government. India itself isn't poor, it just has a large population therefore the GDP per head is poor.India started doing better economically because of removing a lot of bad government regulation. Not necessarily true, India started doing well because it embarked on it's own industrial revolution.

A better example would be china, very few political freedom but is gaining more and more economic freedom as government removed a lot of regulations that hindered private business. Actually the economy has started to falter recently. Also the "private" businesses, are not as private as you might think. A lot of them are linked very strongly with the Chinese government. Their government has a hand in everything.

and Yes the Asian countries you listed has their own problems, but you cannot argue that they are not more prosperous than africa?

My argument is that instead of giving them all this money, just ask them to open upon their economy, actually invest in Africa and start business and trade with them. Heck give them free trade even, Africa would be less poor.. As places that opened up their economies prosper, other countries in africa will take note and follow. You are assuming by this that Africans will know what to do with the larger economy and businesses. You have seen what's happened in the recession recently, if we didn't have an ounce of self sufficiency then we could have been worse of than Africa. The point is that we need to help Africa build it's own foundations, not place it on some fake ones.

This is what happen in asia, Japan saw what made britian and usa wealthy so they followed, south korean, taiwan and signapore followed japan, then most south east asian countries did the same, china saw all the people becoming richer and followed, India saw china was getting richer and followed.. and all without throwing billions in aid.. If china can lift millions out of poverty without little international aid, so can africa! China was never in the same poverty as African countries, China for one has quite fertile lands.

In bold.

DeletedUser

My argument is that instead of giving them all this money, just ask them to open upon their economy, actually invest in Africa and start business and trade with them. Heck give them free trade even, Africa would be less poor.. As places that opened up their economies prosper, other countries in africa will take note and follow.

Africa is unstable and volatile(with a few exceptions). Investing in it would be taking a tremendous risk with not much to gain. Now who would take that risk instead of actually investing in some western or Asian business that has shown itself to be stable?

Africa doesn't have a lot of profitable trade options(Besides the few odd countries with diamonds, oils and gold reserves.) so just "opening their economy" would do nothing. To remedy that we'd have to invest for businesses to set up. Now answer me honestly; Would you invest into a business that would set itself up in a potential warzone, where there are several warlords independent of government and the aforementioned body being largely inexperienced in handling this kind of situation and giving it what it needs to prosper?

Giving money to people never works, money is nothing more than a means of exchange.. True wealth comes from the goods and services created in an economy. Money would be better spent starting up business in africa rather than giving it as aid.. and its not a one time investment, investments give you a return. give a bum food today and he would be still be begging for food tomorrow..
If you're going to agree with most of what I said, you don't have to retell it in your own wording... and those periods of ellipsis make you seem quite obnoxious.

Can people stop doing this please? It makes it nigh impossible to quote back and answer. I do not think I can manage that :(

DeletedUser

Africa is unstable and volatile(with a few exceptions). Investing in it would be taking a tremendous risk with not much to gain. Now who would take that risk instead of actually investing in some western or Asian business that has shown itself to be stable?

Africa doesn't have a lot of profitable trade options(Besides the few odd countries with diamonds, oils and gold reserves.) so just "opening their economy" would do nothing. To remedy that we'd have to invest for businesses to set up. Now answer me honestly; Would you invest into a business that would set itself up in a potential warzone, where there are several warlords independent of government and the aforementioned body being largely inexperienced in handling this kind of situation and giving it what it needs to prosper?

If you're going to agree with most of what I said, you don't have to retell it in your own wording... and those periods of ellipsis make you seem quite obnoxious.

Africa is one of the richest resource continents on the planet, It does have a lot of trading options. Not all of Africa is made up warlike countries, one can have a stable government and still be poor because of bad governance. (India, Zimbabwe, USSR, belarus) Most of the people in countries rebel because of the poverty, and well because european imperialism made countries out of different people that were never united.

If you look at what countries are the richest and match them with countries that have the freest economy, you will see big similarity :)

Also, a country doesn't need alot resources to prosper, i.e Singapore, hong Kong, japan, taiwan, monaco, south korea, israel, Mauritius, Switzerland

let countries that fail, fail.. If you feel like giving AID, do it through charity, not through government

DeletedUser

Olis750 said:
There are plenty of interventions where it has done a world of good, I will take the British empire as an example. Without us there would be a lot more uncivilized countries out there.

This is an extremely imbecilic and idiotic statement to make. I'm presently evaluating whether its worth stomping some sense into you or not.

Edit:

Regarding the thread.

I just got back from Africa. In the course of my visit, I have walked South Africa (2nd time there), Botswana, Zimbabwe and Kenya.

Earlier visits have taken me to Zambia, Egypt and Namibia as well.

Bad Horse is quite spot in in the fact, that in reality Africa is a lot more stable and investment friendly than the world is lead to believe by international media.

Infact, its not just raw materials like beef or timber or diamonds, if you go to Nairobi or Gaberone (capital of Botswana) you'll the obscene sums of money that Indian and Arab businesses have made by investing in relative luxury projects such as Mega Malls, Golf Courses, Resorts, Hotels (good ones, up to 5 star) in these countries and places.

Airtel, Indian cellphone network, is one of the biggest in Africa. Orascom owned cellphone cellphone network providers are huge there too.

Fact is, they didn't buy the international media reports, they checked the situation out for themselves, they invested, and they hit paydirt. Local economies benefited as well.

Western mass media, highlights the instabilities of Africa over its positive aspects greatly, because it is not in their interest for investment finance to be diverted from their home countries and regions into Africa.
It is not in their interests for a region known for wars, AIDS edpidemic, etc (basically the stuff that creates news) to become prosperous and stabilized.

DeletedUser

Africa is a large continent. It has success stories and epic failures. Look at Zimbabwe. Hyperinflation combined with decreasing agricultural production and a failing healthcare system with only some hospitals operating in the country unable to cope with the massive cholera outbreak. All this while the political elite have access to millions of dollars.

Visit the Democratic Republic of the Congo. A corrupt government and police that demand set up illegal tolls around the mining districts to gather money from the poor mine workers. Also the current warcrimes and sex crimes continuing in the east of the country while the UN try and solve the crisis.

Niger is just awful and Mali is pretty poor in rural areas.

DeletedUser

To start with you need to get the idea out of your head that the UN solves anything. Never has, never will.

Don't know about Niger, but when I went to Zimbabwe it wasn't a fraction as bad as I'd thought it would be based on the news reports I'd heard. I mean sure, the exchange rates were crazy but the sort of totalitarian police state with people dying of starvation around the street corner ?

Wasn't the case.

News is always sensationalist. It will always highlight the very worst and ignore large tracts of what is good.

Which does beg the question ? Have you visited Congo yourself ? (I haven't)

Also its worth noting that most "aid" isn't actually aid, its loans that need to be repaid with interest.

Are you going to tell me that British occupation of India was a bad thing for India? Go on try and tell me. Also that is the most hypocritical statement I've ever heard - you couldn't stomp sense into yourself so please god don't try and stomp some of your sense into me... I couldn't bare it!

Of course it was bad for the Indian subcontinent. What rock did you live under ? Do you even have an education ? If you do, then what sort of trash and lies did they teach you in it ?

I'm from the Indian subcontinent, I understand and learn much more about British rule here than someone who is not from here can, simply due to being on site and knowing the local perspective.

British occupation was probably the biggest setback the subcontinent has ever had.