International Aid

DeletedUser

Hypocrisy - You're good at it.
Arguing - Not so much.

Where did I insult you :lol:! You are a child, when you turn 18, then you aren't.

Since you seem to think you know so much would you like to run through... the journey of an impulse through a myelinated neurone, or perhaps Integration by parts of ln, or if those 2 don't interest you, you could always recite your knowledge of Acyl Chlorides making carboxylic acids, no that's probably a little too easy.... how about the mechanism of Nitration of Benzenes and the uses of the products. (It helps if you understand it before you pull things off the internet)

It's only fair, since you seem to think you know a lot more than me because you are doing a different syllabus of a subject I finished 2 years ago. NOTE: I didn't learn anything about the british colonies in my history lessons, so you're all wrong :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Where did I insult you :lol:! You are a child, when you turn 18, then you aren't.

So? Do you lack social interaction? Referring to someone as a 'kid' is a derogative term in that context. Maybe go back and do English?

Since you seem to think you know so much would you like to run through... the journey of an impulse through a myelinated neurone, or perhaps Integration by parts of ln, or if those 2 don't interest you, you could always recite your knowledge of Acyl Chlorides making carboxylic acids, no that's probably a little too easy.... how about the mechanism of Nitration of Benzenes and the uses of the products. (It helps if you understand it before you pull things off the internet)

Honestly, couldn't care less?

I could say the same thing about learning to argue, avoiding ignorance and generally getting your facts right. :icon_redface:

It's only fair you seem to think you know a lot more than me because you are doing a different syllabus of a subject I finished 2 years ago.

Never said that. I said 'apparently', also, I was referring to the subject in you are quite literally: wrong.

READ: Bad Horse post.

DeletedUser

I wonder if your British education told you about 12-29 million people that died in India because of British Imperial Policy.

Britian took food from india, so it could trade for it england and left india to starve.. and you wonder why people compare the British Empire to Hitler.

The railways you talk about weren't for the benefit of the Indian people, but to steal and send as much resources back to england.

Britian exploited India for its riches, India provided capital to the nascent industrial revolution in England by providing cheap raw materials, capital and a large captive market for British industry. In certain areas, farmers were forced to switch from subsistence farming to commercial crops such as opium, indigo, jute, tea and coffee. This resulted in famines and uprisings on a large scale.

Your so called high british education is biased and does not talk about the atrocities committed by your country. I wonder if they taught you about Jallianwala Bagh, where hundreds of peacefully protesting Indians were massacred (including women and children). At least the Germans teach their kids about the crimes committed by the Nazis. In Britain I guess you only teach about how you brought "civilization" to India. Own up to your past before you make such claims, Britian killed and enslaved most of the world. Sure they weren't as bad as the Nazis, but the nazis only ruled for about 10 years. Britian however ruled for 200 years, and it doesn't take much research to see how much damage Britain did to India and the rest of the world during their rule.

It sad that people like you are growing up with your so called "high british education" thinking that britian did India a huge favor.

Heck your own queen still wears a jewel in her crown that was stolen from India.

Educate your self, instead of following what your bias public education system has taught you.

Here is something to start with READ!!

Hmmm - now my history doesn't serve me that well - however A-level history was certainly interesting (until school stopped me studying it which is a different story all together).

Our history in India was amazingly similar to the times of any other country being in rule of a country that didn't necessarily respect sovereignty. That said, many many indians profit from the British influence of being an ex-province in the Empire. There was the obvious trade benefit when we left which meant even more Indian goods entering europe, the infrastructure was built for you despite the fact that your taxes were mostly drawn out into the Bank of England. Your educational system was improved ten fold in just afew years, and your diplomats were soon able to act 'British' in diplomatic and national situations. Something that has stood India well over the years.

Can you compare Britain to Hitler - yeah you probably could but its abit extreme. Back in the Zulu wars we introduced the idea of a 'work camp' and that was picked up by other nations involved in Africa at the time. That said, the British Empire operated on a purely territorial basis. It didn't pick fights with religions and it didn't dictate to its people what a 'pure blood' would be. People are proud to be British due to our inherent history of immigration.

Hitler on the other hand decided that other people simply didn't deserve to live, and didn't deserve a pleasant death to go with that punishment. I'd invite anyone to visit Auchwitz, its a truly moving place. I remember on the way there, me and 9 other friends in a minibus talking and having a joke for the hour long trip. On the journey back I think maybe two words were said.

Britain wasn't a saint, but to compare it to the 2nd most brutal regime of all time would probably be abit strong.

Timmy

DeletedUser

So? Do you lack social interaction? Referring to someone as a 'kid' is a derogative term in that context. Maybe go back and do English?

Honestly, couldn't care less?

I could say the same thing about learning to argue, avoiding ignorance and generally getting your facts right. :icon_redface:

Never said that. I said 'apparently', also, I was referring to the subject in you are quite literally: wrong.

READ: Bad Horse post.

I'm sorry, but "Honest, couldn't care less?" isn't a valid response. Please try again.

Also, have you got nothing better to do on a Friday Night? And you said I lack social interaction :lol: At least I've got an excuse.

Also, just to point out - but your ignorance is outstanding. You ACTUALLY think that as a 15 year doing your GCSE's you know more than someone doing their A levels? Even if I was thick I'd know more stuff than you (most probably, unless you're one of these really sad library nerds). So by calling me ignorant also, you're fulfilling the criteria for hypocritical yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser7369

Oh dear god what a thread.

What everyone seems to be missing is the fact you are not comparing like with like. What the british empire did seems abhorrent to most compassionate people just like what nazi Germany did. There are significant differences however. You can't make direct comparisons as the atrocities perpetrated by the British were well within the morale norm for the age. The same can not be said by the time Nazi Germany was massacring Jews. Both were unacceptable but they are not comparable as measures of deviation from what was considered normal behaviour at the time.

DeletedUser

Oh dear god what a thread.

What everyone seems to be missing is the fact you are not comparing like with like. What the british empire did seems abhorrent to most compassionate people just like what nazi Germany did. There are significant differences however. You can't make direct comparisons as the atrocities perpetrated by the British were well within the morale norm for the age. The same can not be said by the time Nazi Germany was massacring Jews. Both were unacceptable but they are not comparable as measures of deviation from what was considered normal behaviour at the time.

There are 2 similarities I can link between Nazi Germany and Colonial Britain.

1, Both Nazi Germany and Colonial Britain had extreme ideas about the cost of human life, and killed many people in the quest for power.

2, Both Nazi Germany and Colonial Britain managed to establish themselves as extremely powerful empires, and I know for a fact that in Nazi Germany there were plenty of things Hitler did (before work camps) that were brilliant for Germany at the time.

DeletedUser

That said, many many indians profit from the British influence of being an ex-province in the Empire.

How about the many that died though? :icon_confused: You think it's fair too kill millions for that?

There was the obvious trade benefit when we left which meant even more Indian goods entering europe, the infrastructure was built for you despite the fact that your taxes were mostly drawn out into the Bank of England.

An infrastructure was already there; it wasn't a British infrastructure though. It's a bit like comparing the Romans and Celts: the Romans invaded Britannia and 'civilized' the Celts yet many revolted - change, they didn't like it and they had their own ways.

Your educational system was improved ten fold in just afew years, and your diplomats were soon able to act 'British' in diplomatic and national situations. Something that has stood India well over the years.

Now - this is true. :icon_razz: (Although, not sure if 'British' is that good - we have a habit of conquering people who don't do as we say...)

It didn't pick fights with religions and it didn't dictate to its people what a 'pure blood' would be. People are proud to be British due to our inherent history of immigration

What? People have feared for their lives over religion (Protestant wars etc.) and the families along the coast of Africa feared for another raid from British ships looking for slaves (Slave Trade).

Hitler on the other hand decided that other people simply didn't deserve to live, and didn't deserve a pleasant death to go with that punishment.

Stalin killed many-a-more people than Hitler. They're like-wise and it's a sad world.

I'd invite anyone to visit Auchwitz, its a truly moving place. I remember on the way there, me and 9 other friends in a minibus talking and having a joke for the hour long trip. On the journey back I think maybe two words were said.

Britain wasn't a saint, but to compare it to the 2nd most brutal regime of all time would probably be abit strong.

It's a difficult comparison because 'Britain' has been over 1000's of years whereas WW2 was only 6 years long (however, the effects were 10+ years.)

DeletedUser

Also, have you got nothing better to do on a Friday Night? And you said I lack social interaction :lol:

I've already been out but I'm in early for the night :icon_idea:

At least I've got an excuse.

Honestly, don't care what you're doing with your life. :lol:

Also, just to point out - but your ignorance is outstanding. You ACTUALLY think that as a 15 year doing your GCSE's you know more than someone doing their A levels? Even if I was thick I'd know more stuff than you (most probably, unless you're one of these really sad library nerds). So by calling me ignorant also, you're fulfilling the criteria for hypocritical yourself.

You're not actually reading my posts are you? How about you read it and then realise how ignorant you're being. :icon_redface:

DeletedUser

You're not actually reading my posts are you? How about you read it and then realise how ignorant you're being. :icon_redface:

I've read your posts and all I can find is a load of fail.

Apparently I know more than you.
Says it all really.

I've already been out but I'm in early for the night :icon_idea:

Honestly, don't care what you're doing with your life. :lol:

You're usually home by 9:30? You might want to find some better places to go out if they kick you out at 9:30 :lol:

DeletedUser

I've read your posts and all I can find is a load of fail.

ap·par·ent·ly/əˈparəntlē/Adverb
1. As far as one knows or can see: "the child nodded, apparently content with the promise".
2. Used by speakers or writers to avoid committing themselves to the truth of what they are saying

It was 'apparently' because I simply was referring to the fact you still haven't replied to Bad Horse's reply and I generally agree with him. Which would set me as 'apparently' smarter than you - in this particular topic - because you have failed to reply or give a reasonable argument against it.

You're usually home by 9:30? You might want to find some better places to go out if they kick you out at 9:30 :lol:

I said usually? Dam. & No, I am usually home by 10-11 - sorry if I'm not rebel-ish enough for you and your hardcore partying until 11:01... :icon_rolleyes:

DeletedUser

ap·par·ent·ly/əˈparəntlē/Adverb
1. As far as one knows or can see: "the child nodded, apparently content with the promise".
2. Used by speakers or writers to avoid committing themselves to the truth of what they are saying

It was 'apparently' because I simply was referring to the fact you still haven't replied to Bad Horse's reply and I generally agree with him. Which would set me as 'apparently' smarter than you - in this particular topic - because you have failed to reply or give a reasonable argument against it.

I said usually? Dam. & No, I am usually home by 10-11 - sorry if I'm not rebel-ish enough for you and your hardcore partying until 11:01... :icon_rolleyes:

I'm sorry, but the fact you think hardcore partying is staying up until 11:01 is rather sad :icon_confused:

Also, I agree with Bad horse. In fact I agree with most of what people have said in this thread :lol: (except you, you offer little in the way of conversation in any of your posts), they just annoyed me enough that I felt the need to argue the toss, perhaps if Pervie and some others learnt how to persuade someone of their way of thinking before jumping in with derogatory and elitists comments this saga would have ended earlier.

DeletedUser

I'm sorry, but the fact you think hardcore partying is staying up until 11:01 is rather sad :icon_confused:

Look at the icon on the end and read my post back through with a voice dripping with sarcasm. :icon_idea:

Also, I agree with Bad horse. In fact I agree with most of what people have said in this thread :lol: (except you, you offer little in the way of conversation in any of your posts), they just annoyed me enough that I felt the need to argue the toss, perhaps if Pervie and some others learnt how to persuade someone of their way of thinking before jumping in with derogatory and elitists comments this saga would have ended earlier.

So, you're just arguing for that sake of it? That's... new? (Or is it trolling?)

DeletedUser

Look at the icon on the end and read my post back through with a voice dripping with sarcasm. :icon_idea:

So, you're just arguing for that sake of it? That's... new? (Or is it trolling?)

It's Trolling, mixed with a bit of annoyance, and throw in a bit of boredom too.

In case you haven't noticed sarcasm isn't obvious over the internet.

DeletedUser

It's Trolling, mixed with a bit of annoyance, and throw in a bit of boredom too.

You need to get out more then - obviously.

In case you haven't noticed sarcasm isn't obvious over the internet.

[21:50:53] Radarr/Friskytam/Jofealey: sorry if I'm not rebel-ish enough for you and your hardcore partying until 11:01... :icon_rolleyes:

Does that sound sarcastic to you?

[21:51:12] jpmullane/coramoor: yuh

[21:51:24] Shogun99 (the wierd one): yer

[21:53:32] timmyhill: yeah I suppose it does - I dunno - I can't hear him say it so I suppose we'll never know

[Friday, 4 February 2011 21:53:42 Shogun99 (the wierd one)] [21:52:53] Radarr/Friskytam/Jofealey: icon_rolleyes

<<< gives it away

DeletedUser

You need to get out more then - obviously.

[21:50:53] Radarr/Friskytam/Jofealey: sorry if I'm not rebel-ish enough for you and your hardcore partying until 11:01... :icon_rolleyes:

Does that sound sarcastic to you?

[21:51:12] jpmullane/coramoor: yuh

[21:51:24] Shogun99 (the wierd one): yer

[21:53:32] timmyhill: yeah I suppose it does - I dunno - I can't hear him say it so I suppose we'll never know

[Friday, 4 February 2011 21:53:42 Shogun99 (the wierd one)] [21:52:53] Radarr/Friskytam/Jofealey: icon_rolleyes

<<< gives it away

Radarr your attempts at trolling have declined recently, what's up?

DeletedUser5175

haha i'd say given that the UK has done very well out of raping the resources and economy's of a vast proportion of the world, and as a nation our prosperity is based on the riches brought home from our colonial adventures. We shouldn't complain about offering something back. We shouldn't forget our history here, also many people who complain about aid being 'wasted' when we could use the money ourselves also complain about immigration to the uk and miss the point that those immigrants may be attempting to escape a desolate future by heading to the uk. Now of course there is problems with the aid programs all over the world, and we should by no means overlook this. However to say we should stop sending aid to countries where the standard of living is so much lower than enjoyed in the uk is imo callous. Aslo it's certainly worth noting that we send less than 1% of our GDP on foreign aid. - source = www.openeurope.org.uk/research/euaid.doc & www.actionaid.org.uk/doc_lib/69_1_real_aid.pdf

DeletedUser

I remember on the way there, me and 9 other friends in a minibus talking and having a joke for the hour long trip. On the journey back I think maybe two words were said.

You people must be very sensitive.

DeletedUser

haha i'd say given that the UK has done very well out of raping the resources and economy's of a vast proportion of the world, and as a nation our prosperity is based on the riches brought home from our colonial adventures. We shouldn't complain about offering something back. We shouldn't forget our history here, also many people who complain about aid being 'wasted' when we could use the money ourselves also complain about immigration to the uk and miss the point that those immigrants may be attempting to escape a desolate future by heading to the uk. Now of course there is problems with the aid programs all over the world, and we should by no means overlook this. However to say we should stop sending aid to countries where the standard of living is so much lower than enjoyed in the uk is imo callous. Aslo it's certainly worth noting that we send less than 1% of our GDP on foreign aid. - source = www.openeurope.org.uk/research/euaid.doc & www.actionaid.org.uk/doc_lib/69_1_real_aid.pdf

That 1% equals to (When using the 2009 GDP of UK) $21,590,000,000($21,590 billions). This is by no means a small amount in any way you look at it.

I really don't see why'd you still spend money on other countries and then watch some of it go to waste because of some one-time purchase of food or just bad management instead of using it to improve the situation in your own country. For example, part of that money could go towards helping the homeless in GB.