KillerGorilla's startup guide

DeletedUser

Introduction

This is a start-up plan for worlds that use old units + Paladins (my fav unit settings). The guide itself has been developed from notes and things I’ve remembered from past start-ups.

By the end of the guide you will have what I consider to be a quality village build with a good troop count, putting you in a great position to noble a second village.

Feel free to post or pm any questions/criticisms you have regarding the guide.

Stage 1: Boredom

Prelude – This stage of the world is certainly the most uneventful and boring, because until your Paladin is built there isn’t really much you can do. Unless like me you like to stare at your screen till you have enough resources for the next upgrade.

Build Statue

Build Paladin (begin farming with the Paladin as soon as it’s made)
Iron 1
Clay 1
Wood 1
Clay 2
Wood 2
Clay 3
Wood 3
Wood 4
Wood 5
HQ 2
HQ3
Build Barracks

Step 1: Make 7 Spears then begin sending them farming with the Paladin. Put all resources gained from farming and resource pits into making more Spears until you have 35.

Step 2: Now that you have 35 Spears you can begin sending them farming separate from the Paladin. Build another 7 Spears and begin sending them alongside the Paladin like before. Now stop building Spears except to replace ones that die.

Note: You should now have 2 farming groups; in farming group 1 there will be 35 Spears, in farming group 2 there should be 7 Spears and 1 Paladin.

Step 3: When your Iron resources are 300-400 from filling the Warehouse, upgrade the Warehouse to level 2. When Iron becomes close to overflowing again build the Market and trade the Iron at the ratio 1k Iron for 2k Wood. Whenever 1 type of resource comes close to overflowing again upgrade the Market, when 2 or more do upgrade the Warehouse. Do this throughout the rest of the guide.

HQ 4
HQ 5
Smithy 1
Smithy 2
Research Axemen

Stage 2: Spear Farming

Prelude – Now that you have researched Axes you’re able to split up your farm groups even further, because sending at least 3 Axes with 15 Spears will ensure that they don’t die (as long as the village you’re farming doesn’t have a wall).

Current Troop count: 1 Paladin, 42 Spearmen.

Note 1: During the rest of Stage 2 each time you get within 40 farm space of reaching the population limit upgrade your farm level. In later stages increase this buffer zone at a sensible rate.

Note 2: If you manage to get your Barracks queued past the 3 hour mark, take a look at Stage 3 of the guide and begin upgrading the buildings in the order specified there.

Step 1: Build 6 Axes then split your troops into 2 farm groups that both contain 15 Spears and 3 Axes in each. With the leftover troops form a third group that contains 1 Paladin and 12 Spears.

Step 2: Build another 3 Axes & 3 Spears, when the third farm group returns add these troops to it.

Step 3: Now build another 3 Axes and 15 Spears and send them as a fourth farming group.
Repeat this process until you have 180 Spears and 36 Axemen, meaning you should now have 12 Groups of; 15 Spears, 3 Axes now farming (+ a paladin in one of these groups). Now stop building Spears and Axes, only build more to replace ones that die.

Stage 3: The Battle

Prelude – I’ve named this stage “The Battle” because now there’s a constant battle to keep both the buildings and barracks queued. However I think I’ve found the right formula to do it. In order to ensure we can always keep our HQ queued; we upgrade the Smithy first, because it’s cheap and has the longest build time.

Current Troop count: 1 Paladin, 180 Spearmen, 36 Axemen.

Note: Priority is to keep buildings queued 3 hours +. Only when you can achieve and maintain this should you begin making Axes again.

Smithy 3
Smithy 4
Smithy 5
Barracks 2
Barracks 3
HQ 6
Barracks 4
HQ 7
Barracks 5
HQ 8
HQ 9
HQ 10

Stage 4: Sneaky Scouts

Prelude – This stage is called the “Sneaky Scouts” stage because by following this Guide you should be the first (or one of) player(s) in your area to research and produce Scouts. Once you have Scouts begin scouting every player in your area (13x13 at least) from highest to lowest in points. The purpose is you’re trying to get a “Sneaky Scout” report of their Troops before they get Scouts themselves.

Current Troop count: 1 Paladin, 180 Spearmen, 50-80 Axemen.

Build Stable

Research Scouts

Step 1: Whilst Scouts are being researched, upgrade your Warehouse to level 7 (if isn’t already) in preparation for researching Light Cavalry later. It can be done with a level 6 Warehouse but I like the extra margin 7 provides.

Step 2: Now that Scouts have been researched make 20, as soon as each Scout is produced immediately send them out to Scout players from highest to lowest in points within your: 7x7, 11x11 and 13x13 map area (go up to 15x15 as well if you feel like it). Once this is done begin sending 1 Scout with each of your 12 farm groups, so your farming can become more efficient. Use the remaining 8 scouts in your village to keep scouting players in your area.

Stable 2
Stable 3
Research Light Cavalry

Stage 5: Light Cavalry

Prelude – First of all Congrats! All of that tediously slow Spear farming has now paid off because you’re now able to make the best farming units in the game. During this part of the guide your target will be to get your: Stable, Barracks and HQ all building over 3 hours as soon as possible.

Current Troop count: 1 Paladin, 180 Spearmen, 70-100 Axemen, 20 Scouts.

Note 1: If you find any players who have only built Spears for defence, use the simulator to see how many of your Axes will die if you send them all. If it’s less than 10% clear them and they can become an extra farm. However to be prudent just farm them with Axes for 1 day. If they haven’t rebuilt any defence during that period begin farming them like any other village.

Note 2: Whilst you’re trying to get your Stable queue going it’s worth building the Wall and upgrading it to level 5,because it’s cheap and takes long to build.

Step 1: Spend all resources on making Light Cavalry. Trade any excess Wood or Clay for Iron, even if it means having to trade 1k Wood or Clay for 700-900 Iron. Once you have 5 Light Cavalry send them out farming with 1 Scout. Every time another 5 is made build 1 extra Scout and send them off farming as well. So your Stable queue will look something like this: 5 Lc, 1 Scout, 5 Lc, 1 Scout and so on.

Step 2: Once your Stable is queued past the 3 hour mark start queuing your Axes again. When both the Stable and Barracks are queued comfortably past the 3 hour mark, begin upgrading your Iron mine and don’t stop till you reach level 20. Then alternate between upgrading Wood and Clay till they’re both level 18 (upgrade the one with the resources you have the least of first).

Step 3: Once you reach 100 Light Cavalry change your Spear farming groups to contain: 20 Spears and 4 Axes in each instead of 15 Spears and 3 Axes (meaning 9 farm groups instead of 12).

Step 4: You should now begin to notice that your queues are starting to get longer because your LC are bringing in resources faster and from further away. Once you reach 200 LC its worth stopping LC production to build an extra 50-75 Scouts that stay in your village to block any potential players trying to Scout you in future. I would also recommend changing your LC farm groups to contain 10 Lc in each instead of 5.

Stage 6: Rapid points

Prelude –During this stage you’ll notice your overall points rising quite rapidly because of the: HQ, Barracks, Stable and Market upgrades. Remember we’re not doing these upgrades for points or ranks, we’re doing it because it helps us grow faster (not very convincing I know).

Current Troop count: 1 Paladin, 180 Spearmen, 300+ Axemen (maybe more or less depending on whether you’ve lost some clearing), 50-75 Scouts in village (+ ones in your farming groups), 200+ Light Cavalry.

Note 1: Once you reach 400 Axes I would advise taking some time out of Axe production to build 100 Swords. Then when you reach 700 Axes I’d recommend building another 120 Spears and 150 Swords on top of that. The reason for this is you don’t want to be known as the guy in your tribe who always calls for support every time some noob attacks him, this will just irritate your tribe mates and make you unpopular.

Note 2: When you reach 500 LC I would recommend taking your total Scouts tally to somewhere between the 350-400 mark. On every world I’ve played so far I’ve always had to do this at some stage or another and each time I’ve regretted not doing it sooner. If you’re scouting a player who looks like they know what they’re doing, I’d recommend sending 1 Catapult with around 300-350 scouts; so they either dodge thinking it’s a real attack, or at least leave in a smaller amount of scouts so you can get a full report.

Step 1: Build HQ up to level 15.

Step 2: Build Barracks to level 10 then Stable to level 5.

Step 3: Resume building HQ till you reach level 22.

Step 4: Build Barracks to level 15 then Stable to level 10.

Step 5: Build Market to level 15.

Step 6: Build Wall to level 10.

Stage 7: Catapults

Prelude – The village seems to be coming along very nicely now, we have troops being produced at a good level and our building queues are looking very healthy. What I recommend now may be seen as controversial to some; however it has always worked for me in the past which is why I still do it.

During this stage we’ll be rushing Catapults at the expense of researching Rams. The reason: Catapults are a multipurpose unit; they can demolish a wall, as well as destroying important buildings. This is something I have always found very useful to stop those 90%+ offense players just repeatedly dodging your attacks. If you keep taking down their important buildings such as: Farm, Smithy, HQ and Barracks it should entice them into doing an all or nothing attack on you, which you can then simply dodge and Backtime.

Current Troop count: 1 Paladin, 300 Spearmen, 250 Swordmen, 700+ Axemen, 350-400 Scouts (or in the process of making), 400+ Light Cavalry.

Note: It’s worth taking 15mins now to read some Catapult strategy guides, particularly the parts about using Catapult waves.

Step 1: Upgrade Smithy from level 5 to 12.

Step 2: Build Workshop and upgrade it to level 2, then Research Catapults. As soon as they’re researched begin making them.

Step 3: Whilst the Catapults are being researched keep upgrading the Workshop till its level 10.

I would advise stopping Catapult production once you have 140. However if you’re in a Catapult fight with another player keep building them till you’ve won.

Final Stage: Academy

Prelude – First of all Well done for making it this far! Even if you don’t end up using this guide I hope you’ve at least found some parts interesting. In this Final Stage of the guide apart from the occasional Farm & Warehouse upgrades (when needed) we’ll just be upgrading the Smithy to level 20, whilst looking for some potential Noble Targets.

Current Troop count: 1 Paladin, 300 Spearmen, 250 Swordmen, 1k+ Axemen, 350-400 Scouts, 500+ Light Cavalry, 140 Catapults (in the process of making).

Step 1: Upgrade the Warehouse to level 24. The reason we’re doing this now is so we don’t have to waste time doing it later. A level 24 Warehouse meets the storage requirements to upgrade the Farm to level 29, and this is the maximum you should have before nobling a second village.

Note: With regards to Farm upgrades you’ll just need to mix them in-between your Smithy upgrades as and when you need them.

Step 2: Upgrade the Smithy from level 12 to 15. It might now be worth considering researching Heavy Cavalry if you feel you need some extra defence; because like Catapults they’re a multipurpose unit in terms of they can be used for both offense and defence. If you decide you do need the extra defence I would recommend obtaining at least 800 LC first, then making just HC after.

Step 3: Now that everything’s queued and you have a general idea of when you’re going to slip in your Farm and Warehouse upgrades during the Smithy push. It’s time to start thinking about who you want to Noble.

Here's some things I think about whilst deciding

- Does your target seem experienced? Check their TwStats and see what their accounts are like on other worlds (obviously if they’re using an alias this doesn’t work).

- High Barracks and Stable; because you want to be able to produce Troops quickly as soon as you take the village.

- If they’re in a tribe how many members will be able to Support them in time?

- How good is the Tribe they’re in? You can tell a lot just by looking at their Tribes profile. If they have: a large ASCii sword, lots of spelling mistakes and diplomacy listed, then chances are they’re not that experienced.

- If you noble the village how much will its future farming disrupt the farming of your first village?

Final Step: Now that you have the Academy I recommend building 4 Nobles before attempting to take a village (so you can send a train). If you can’t do this due to world settings, upgrade the Academy to level 3 and build 3 Nobles. If you have to do the latter then I recommend nobling someone no further than 7 hours away, because you’ll be giving them too much time to pull in support.

Troop count when Nobling: 1 Paladin, 300 Spearmen, 250 Swordmen, 2.5k+ Axemen, 350-400 Scouts, 1.4k+ Light Cavalry (or 800 LC and 400+ HC), 140 Catapults, 4 Nobles (or 3 on packet worlds).

The End

Last edited by a moderator:

Nauzhror

Reaction score
KillerGorilla said:
Step 1: Make 7 Spears then begin sending them farming with the Paladin. Put all resources gained from farming and resource pits into making more Spears until you have 35.

Should start sending spears with paladin at 4 spears.

paladin = 100 res & 10 minutes per field
spear = 25 res & 18 minutes per field

paladin = (100/10 = 10) 10 res per minute
paladin + 3 spears = ((100 + 75)/18) 9.72 res per minute
paladin + 4 spears = ((100 + 100)/18) 11.11 res per minute

Killergorilla said:
Once you have 5 Light Cavalry send them out farming with 1 Scout. Every time another 5 is made build 1 extra Scout and send them off farming as well. So your Stable queue will look something like this: 5 Lc, 1 Scout, 5 Lc, 1 Scout and so on.

No reason to wait till you have 5 lc to send them, 1 lc never dies on a wallless village, and 2 lc never have any die on a level 1 wall.

There's other things that I'd personally never do, but a lot of them are mostly personal preference.

I have 213 rams before nobling and very rarely make a single catapult until after all 213 rams are made. I also keep my workshop at level 2.

Namely:

I raise rax and stable much higher pre-nobling and always have 4.5k+ axes when nobling, not 2.5k+, usually have around 2400 lc as well when nobling.

I rarely, if ever, make over 200-250 scouts.

I typically don't start raising market till after nobling, or at least till I'm in the process of making my noble train.

Great thing about this game though is you can ask 10 top 5 starters (not all on the same world, I'm aware each world has exactly '5' top 5 players at any given moment) and likely get at least 5 radically different playing strategies, that all work relatively equally well.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Should start sending spears with paladin at 4 spears.

paladin = 100 res & 10 minutes per field
spear = 25 res & 18 minutes per field

paladin = (100/10 = 10) 10 res per minute
paladin + 3 spears = ((100 + 75)/18) 9.72 res per minute
paladin + 4 spears = ((100 + 100)/18) 11.11 res per minute

I think I've been told or read it was 7 before and never bothered checking it. Looks like 4 works though so yeh that would be better.

Nauzhror said:
No reason to wait till you have 5 lc to send them, 1 lc never dies on a wallless village, and 2 lc never have any die on a level 1 wall.

Have to admit I never knew that.

Nauzhror said:
There's other things that I'd personally never do, but a lot of them are mostly personal preference.

I have 213 rams before nobling and very rarely make a single catapult until after all 213 rams are made. I also keep my workshop at level 2.

Namely:

I raise rax and stable much higher pre-nobling and always have 4.5k+ axes when nobling, not 2.5k+, usually have around 2400 lc as well when nobling.

I rarely, if ever, make over 200-250 scouts.

I typically don't start raising market till after nobling, or at least till I'm in the process of making my noble train.

Great thing about this game though is you can ask 10 top 5 starters (not all on the same world, I'm aware each world has exactly '5' top 5 players at any given moment) and likely get at least 5 radically different playing strategies, that all work relatively equally well.

I raise Workshop to level 10 cause Cats play a big part in my strat.

I use to go 20 Barracks and 13-15 Stable in the past but I always found the extra troops weren't needed. From my experience Players with a village worth nobling were usually 80%+ offense. So providing I beat them to nobles, 2.5k axes and 1.4k Lc was more than enough to get the job done.

With regards to my Scout count I'll usually have 100 (depends on the stage) of them out with my farm groups. The other 250 I like on standby to get a rapid Scout report on someone when/if needed, or just to block anyone trying to get one on me.

Whilst on the Smithy push I usually find myself needing a lot of Clay for Farm upgrades, having 15 Market has always helped me trade off quickly wood/iron for Clay.

Yeh sounds right. Even 2 players following the exact same strat + same hrs played etc will not progress at the same rate, so many other variables to consider.

Nauzhror

Reaction score
I think I've been told or read it was 7 before and never bothered checking it. Looks like 4 works though so yeh that would be better.

This is probably what you're thinking of:

Non paladin worlds:

Send 7 spears.

1 spear dies

6 live

6 * 25 = 150

150 / 3 = 50 (of each res, average)

spear costs 50 wood, thus 7 spears is the break even point, farming a wall-less village with anything over 7 is generally a gross profit (generally because you have to consider non-full hauls, and villages with less wood than iron and clay).

DeletedUser

This is a really good guide. +rep

Generally I'd wait a bit longer. I usually noble at about 4k points with 2k lc and generally 3-4k axes. However it does vary greatly.

I have noble rushed before, being one of those noobs rank 1 that everybody flames, getting academy at 1.8k points and being 2nd to noble. And that also worked and I maintained a top 30 rank until I quit.

Any sensible strategy devised by a sensible player can work, and this is one example that I'll be recommending. Ty!

DeletedUser

Thanks.

After the Academy's finished building you'll either have: 3631, 3746 or 3883 points depending on whether you have a level 27, 28 or 29 farm following my build.

Decided to test the guide on W50 net, most likely going to make some changes after the test. I'm expecting my troop counts beyond stage 2 to change as those were just guestimates. Then after I'll be pretty much just comparing my progress to the top ranked players.

DeletedUser

I take it you meant to say "to the rest of the top ranked players." :p

DeletedUser

Nice guide, but am i supposed to go LC without any res? when should i start building them?

Nauzhror

Reaction score
Nice guide, but am i supposed to go LC without any res? when should i start building them?

Err, what? Guide clearly has you going to 5 timber, 3 clay, 1 iron before lc. That's plenty. The majority of your resources should ALWAYS be from farming.

DeletedUser

You might wanna be careful about what "top ranked players" you compare yourself too. :icon_wink:

DeletedUser

Nauz already said most of the things like having more axes but more important more LC, I care about LC alot my axes will be something in between of Nauz and your strategy while my LC will be around Nauz his level (some less to be honest from personal exp.)

Also I go for the higher HQ (between 23-27)

And my market doesn't get over 10 in start up.

Also I don't think 20 scouts in the early stage isn't necessary I usually do the job with around 5 I think.

DeletedUser

Quick question, do you not build up your resource pits at all after the level 5-3-1 At the start ? Surely it would be better to build them up to receive extra resources ? Im a noob at this so not too sure

DeletedUser10790

Because you want to start farming as soon as possible. By that i mean sending your troops to collect resources from barbarian and bonus villas. This will give you far more resources than building your mines when you startup.

blue

DeletedUser6695

Quick question, do you not build up your resource pits at all after the level 5-3-1 At the start ? Surely it would be better to build them up to receive extra resources ? Im a noob at this so not too sure

This guide is extremely out dated. You are best off following the in game quests

DeletedUser

The problem with guides is that they try and give you steps on what to build, when to build it and how much to build. This is a very flawed way to teach as each persons area will be different. Sure, most scenarios can be covered by vague phrases such as "whore LC and farm a lot" but learning when you start building LC and how you farm is completely situational and not something which can be taught through guides. The only guide I recommend is this, which is more of a checklist:
http://forum.tribalwars.us/showthread.php?2081-Starting-guide

The ability to think and adapt to your surroundings is much more important than build order. This can only be gained by experience, by actually playing and seeing what different build orders do to your growth. If you want to learn, I recommend that in the next world you join you identify who the good players are and mail them for advice. That will be much more useful than reading a bunch of old guides.