Make your own maps using nickjer's script (for Windows)

DeletedUser

Yeah, I'm too lazy to update daily unless I get it going automatically, so I'm gonna write a short guide, for those interested in how it works, and those who actually want to start making their own instant maps. :)

What you need

Nickjer's script This is the 4.0 'beta' for Windows, the linux versions are better but let's get realistic, we have 4-5 linux users here :lol:

That mediafire link is an EXACT mirror of what he is offering on his website. You can download it from him, or from the link. Depends on whether you want to waste his bandwidth, or mediafire's.

It's a small zip file, unzip it with WinRAR.

Extract it to wherever you want.

Since we're on .co.uk, and this is set up for .net, there are a few (minor) edits we need to make, otherwise your script is going to fail horribly.

Before you do anything, read and try to understand the README file. It should explain most of your questions fairly well.

When you're ready, continue.
Prepping for map-making on .co.uk

First, make a folder called '1' in the 'map' folder. This is for World 1.

Right click the makemap.bat file, and press Edit.

You should see some code that looks like this:

@echo off

set /p WORLD="World number (e.g., 12 or 36): "

set /p NEW="Download new data or work with old data? (old/new): "

IF NOT EXIST %WORLD% (

md %WORLD%
)

cd %WORLD%

IF NOT EXIST colors.txt (

@copy ..\examples\colors.txt .
echo Copied over colors.txt since you didn't have one...
)

if /i "%NEW%"=="new" (

echo Downloading village.txt...
..\curl.exe -s -O http://en%WORLD%.tribalwars.net/map/village.txt.gz
..\gzip.exe -d village.txt.gz

echo Downloading tribe.txt...
..\curl.exe -s -O http://en%WORLD%.tribalwars.net/map/tribe.txt.gz
..\gzip.exe -d tribe.txt.gz

echo Downloading ally.txt...
..\curl.exe -s -O http://en%WORLD%.tribalwars.net/map/ally.txt.gz
..\gzip.exe -d ally.txt.gz

echo Downloading conquer.txt...
..\curl.exe -s -O http://en%WORLD%.tribalwars.net/map/conquer.txt.gz
..\gzip.exe -d conquer.txt.gz

echo Downloading kill_att.txt...
..\curl.exe -s -O http://en%WORLD%.tribalwars.net/map/kill_att.txt.gz
..\gzip.exe -d kill_att.txt.gz
)

..\map.exe -w %WORLD% -%NEW% -tp 1000000 -pp 1000000 -z 00 99 -f1 ..\fonts\Arena-Condensed-Bold.ttf -f2 ..\fonts\Arial-Black.ttf

echo.

echo Job Finished...

echo.

pause

Not too much at all, I'll try to explain.

The parts you will HAVE to change to get it to work at all on .co.uk are just the URLS.

Go through the script, where you see:

http://en%WORLD%.tribalwars.net/map/
village.txt.gz

replace it with

http://uk%WORLD%.tribalwars.co.uk/map/village.txt.gz

where you see

http://en%WORLD%.tribalwars.net/map/tribe.txt.gz

replace it with

http://uk%WORLD%.tribalwars.co.uk/map/tribe.txt.gz

continue with this template.

Customizing the map for early world, etc.

After the URLs, you should see a line like this:

Code:
..\map.exe -w %WORLD% -%NEW% -tp 1000000 -pp 1000000 -z 00 99 -f1 ..\fonts\Arena-Condensed-Bold.ttf -f2 ..\fonts\Arial-Black.ttf

these are all the arguments for the map outcome.

From the README file, here are the arguments explained:

-tp <#> Specify minimum number of points in a continent a tribe needs
to be displayed on the Tribe Dominance map.
(default = 1000000)
-pp <#> Specify minimum number of points in a continent a player needs
to be displayed on the Player Dominance map.
(default = 1000000)
-c <FILE> Filename holding comma delimited rgb color codes.
(default = colors.txt)
-f <FILE> Filename holding comma delimited families.
(default = family.txt)
-f1 <FILE> Filename holding TrueType fonts used for the text in the sidebar
on the right of the map.
(default = Arial-Black.ttf)
-f2 <FILE> Filename holding TrueType fonts used for the text in the footer
and on the names of tribes in dominance maps.
(default = Arial-Black.ttf)
-fst1 <#> Font size of Top 1 tribes in Tribe Dominance map.
(default = 10)
-fst2 <#> Font size of Top 2 tribes in Tribe Dominance map.
(default = 7)
-fsp1 <#> Font size of Top 1 players in Player Dominance map.
(default = 8)
-fsp2 <#> Font size of Top 2 players in Player Dominance map.
(default = 7)
-vs <#> Number of pixels across a village is displayed as on the map.
(default = 2)
-z <#> <#> Continent range to display on map, where the first continent
is the top left continent and the second is the bottom right.
(default = 00 99)

For early world, you'll want to edit -z, -tp and -pp. I also set -vs to 4 for early-world since you want the villages to look a little bigger on the map. Later on, you'll need to reduce this.

Since you might not know what to set it too, here is the code I used for today's map.

Code:
..\map.exe -w %WORLD% -%NEW% -tp 5000 -pp 300 -z 44 55 -vs 4 -f1 ..\fonts\Arena-Condensed-Bold.ttf -f2 ..\fonts\Arial-Black.ttf

as you can see, you need 5000 points to get onto the tribe dominance map, 300 for the player dominance, the zoom covers 4 K's and the villages are 4 pixels wide.

Save the file.

Go back to your map folder, copy the map.exe program, and paste it into your '1' folder.

Then go back to your map folder and try running makemap.bat.

When it asks what world, type in 1 and press Enter.

When it asks Old/New, type in new if you've never ran the script (at least not in the last hour or so), but if you're just editing the arguments to see how it looks, type in old. You can get banned for downloading too many data files too fast from the TW server!

Go into your '1' folder and you should have multiple maps ready as .gifs. If you see them, grats. If you see all empty maps, you might have made an error. Some maps will be messed up (such as noblings during early world), and some will be empty depending on the arguments you provided.

If your script failed, post the error here and I'll try to help with my limited knowledge. Also check nickjer's thread to see if your question has been answered. If you really like this, go to http://map.k-io.com/index.php and Donate to nickjer for making this possible.

That's it, making a self-updating script is all up to you. Please don't flood the forum with 50 threads called 'Killer123's maps' if they are all the same. Also, edit the colors and get some nicer fonts if you want to spruce things up.

I made this thread because more than a few people mailed me asking how I did it, and I always hated people who kept their 'secrets' to themselves just to look like they were some sort of elite coders, especially since I give all credit to nickjer for this, I could never have made this myself :)

Once again, his site.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

rawr, looking at his C code right now, is pretty nice, but I had to hit it to make it compile :\

DeletedUser

When I do this the maps are from US 1 and i changed it to uk

DeletedUser

It looks complicated but its one of those things which I'm going to have to try sometime. Its to neat not to.

thanks for sharing

Nauzhror

Reaction score
TheFinalBob said:
It's a small zip file, unzip it with WinRAR.

I'd suggest using 7-zip over WinRAR, compresses/decompresses files faster in my experience, simpler interface, and is truly free unlike WinRAR which is trialware. (Yes, I know you can get WinRAR for free from various torrents, etc. for free, but personally I'd still rather support the truly free product over the stolen one given the choice).

DeletedUser

I'd suggest using 7-zip over WinRAR, compresses/decompresses files faster in my experience, simpler interface, and is truly free unlike WinRAR which is trialware. (Yes, I know you can get WinRAR for free from various torrents, etc. for free, but personally I'd still rather support the truly free product over the stolen one given the choice).
=/

I've been using my trial of WinRAR for over a year...Tis like mIRC I think.

DeletedUser

Me too every time I open it it says,

"This will trial will expire"

I have had for 3 months, it was a 40 day trial.

DeletedUser

It says you have to buy it after 40 days, but it never expires. And it has far more options than 7-zip. And when you're unpacking a 800KB zip file, who cares about the 2% increase in speed/(de)compression?

DeletedUser

When I do this the maps are from US 1 and i changed it to uk

Check your code, make sure you saved it!

I followed my own guide from scratch and it worked perfectly, so you may have missed a step. Chances are you just didn't re-save the .bat before running.

DeletedUser

I don't really use the options it gives, all I do is right-click on a file and hit Unzip :3

I'm sure there's more you can do with it, but that's good enough for me! :D

DeletedUser

I don't really use the options it gives, all I do is right-click on a file and hit Unzip :3

I'm sure there's more you can do with it, but that's good enough for me! :D

Well I just like the background unzipping, I'm a clean freak in terms of open windows :lol:

DeletedUser

Want to try this as it looks like fun.

Just want to check that it does not hit nickjer's ban width everytime I update as I would hate to spoil what he has done I know the last member who posted updating maps before him went away as so many hit his site.

DeletedUser

Want to try this as it looks like fun.

Just want to check that it does not hit nickjer's ban width everytime I update as I would hate to spoil what he has done I know the last member who posted updating maps before him went away as so many hit his site.

This doesn't take any bandwidth from him, it's doing essentially what he does except in this case manually running the script every time.

DeletedUser

puya26.jpg
cool