MODS

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser2918

Nauz in a tribe on w7 correct.

Nauz is a mod and can edit these forums correct.

Simple point we can not so how is that fair...(tribal bias in editing post could happen)

Thats my point thats all. Not making a big song and dance about it just stating my view which is what forums are for correct.

Would nbe no point in the forums if everyone agreed.

Nauz has been on previous worlds on UK before correct?

He had mod power on those as well.

He has never been accused of editing posts on these forums to provide a bias. If he ever did the poster would complain that his post had been altered and Tracy etc would investigate as to who had edited the post. I cant believe Nauz would be that bothered in attempting to alter a PnP at the risk to his reputation and modding privileges.

I prefer to see UK worlds having the best players on them. Like it or not Nauz is good.

DeletedUser6748

Nauz in a tribe on w7 correct.

Nauz is a mod and can edit these forums correct.

Simple point we can not so how is that fair...(tribal bias in editing post could happen)

Thats my point thats all. Not making a big song and dance about it just stating my view which is what forums are for correct.

Would nbe no point in the forums if everyone agreed.

Fine, every time Nauz edits W7 forums YOU report it, that way tribal bias could not happen and all this petty moaning can stop

DeletedUser8742

The problem is that mods playing rouses suspicion. Whether they can or do use their position to aid themselves ingame is irrelevant. The fact is that their playing causes controversy. Many have come to the defence of the mods but the people doing this play the game regularly and also post in the forums frequently. There is a danger here that their defence, whilst well intentioned, is drowning out the less known, less experienced and newer player’s concerns. I’m not saying that those arguing that mods should be allowed to play shouldn’t post, but that this thread is doing little to reassure those that have concerns.

Just because one side is more vocal in their argument does not mean that they are right. Reading this thread, it appears that the majority feel that there is no problem with mods being able to play but the thing is, the majority of players do not post on the forums. TW thrives off its sense of community, be that through the external forums, tribe forums, skype or just personal friendships and so if this is something that bothers the majority in the TW community it is something that should be addressed. The only way to determine what the majority thinks, in my view, is through an ingame survey across all worlds, where each player’s opinion carries equal weight regardless of skill or reputation.

Personally I don’t think that the mods use their positions to their advantage or that they even could if they wanted to but I feel that there is an issue confidence. Playing whilst being able to moderate creates suspicion, and this damages people’s confidence in the game. Therefore I personally feel that UK mods shouldn’t play UK worlds. If a mod wants to play, new worlds open up on .net all the time so I do not see why there would be any problem in having a rule saying that UK mods cannot play UK worlds.

At the very least I think that this thread highlights that there should perhaps be greater transparency in what a mod can or cannot do. How you go about doing this, I do not know, but I’m sure the TW staff can think of something.

DeletedUser3312

I'm going to "geg" in here, and I agree with the thread creater. Mods, shouldn't play worlds. Not because of any of the reasons hoggy listed, but for these instead:

1)
"Mods shouldn't play worlds, because they're abusing their rights as mods to gain additional barbs".
I am not going to argue that mods seem to spawn next to bonuses nearly every round; because that can't be proven, but it is possible for a mod to use mod status to persuade players to restart or quit.

For example, if you were a new player playing this game and you were private messaged by a moderator in-game, explaining that he's a mod on TW and that he's very good and ruthless and will not let you grow. How will that affect your stereotype of this game? I personally wouldn't want to be playing with a mod right next to me, of whom I'm thinking has special rights and will not let me grow.

I'm known for getting spectacular areas on .net as well, restart mails works wonders when you're well known.

We already know that a handful of players even bother posting on the externals, and read what's up... So these, inexperienced players don't even know what's happening to them.

There were 2 bonuses and 2 barbs in my 7x7 when I started.

That number then increased to 5 from restart mails.

A player joined 2 days later, landed near me, and immediately restarted.

That made it 6.

2 more restarted after I spiked them with swords.

Lastly, number 9 restarted after I scouted him.

The unluckiest one of all was one of the two I spiked restarted, and landed in my 9x9 again.

This tbh doesn't even seem fair. I have no idea what a spike is. I have been farming this barb for 2 days now, that's one day after this moderator sent me his restart mail. Now all of a sudden, I've lost all my troops on a barb? "WTH... This game isn't fair" is what I'm thinking right now.

PS: If you had a female colleague an she was promoted before you would you immediately assume she slept with the boss to get ahead, or understand that it's because she's simply more qualified or more dedicated to her job than you are?
^
This has nothing to do with anything. Maybe if you were an average girl playing TW... I'd be thinking sexism, but you're not you're a mod.

Now, I'm not saying that we should ban mods from playing the game. I'm saying that they should play under aliases, and not reference themselves as being a moderator in restart mails. Not all players have the privilege to say this, so already you're at an advantage. Plus any new players will get the wrong impression of this game.

P.S. As an added, off the topic. I also believe that mods shouldn't go around criticizing other players on their skills and personal life. This isn't fair, and shows a lack of discipline in the forum ranking structure. Although mods do not get paid, they should have a responsibility for the role they have in moderating and should understand that they are an ambassador of this game.

Don't say mods don't do this, I've seen it happen and it's happened to me.

DeletedUser

I'm going to "geg" in here, and I agree with the thread creater. Mods, shouldn't play worlds. Not because of any of the reasons hoggy listed, but for these instead:
[...]

[th](Quote just an example from many).

There's a very simple solution: As mods couldn't be rewarded with premium points anymore (which would be useless for them), they should be paid by InnoGames. Fair enough. I hope, you don't mind to pay 15 EUR and more for 200 premium points in the future...[/th]

DeletedUser4389

Why worry about it all? Seriously we are all playing a big spreadsheet whilst lining the pockets of InnoGames, which isn't a bad thing :D It's not real life (well I hope it isn't)

Some of us play from work to while away the day every now and then, some of us take the game too seriously, and others have to make every post they make show how superior they are to the rest of us. Well get over yourselves already all of you, even if he did have an advantage (which would be suicide for InnoGames if he did!) his impact on the worlds he starts is minimal as he always quits before long to go big it up on another server.

I must say though that the constant "I am number one" is so Scott Alexander (google him....) and that is how I imagine Nauz sat behind his keyboard :D

DeletedUser8742

[th](Quote just an example from many).

There's a very simple solution: As mods couldn't be rewarded with premium points anymore (which would be useless for them), they should be paid by InnoGames. Fair enough. I hope, you don't mind to pay 15 EUR and more for 200 premium points in the future...[/th]

Or even simpler: UK mods can’t play UK worlds. If mods are paid for their services with Premium Points, then they can play .net or any other server, just not the one that they moderate on. Everyone's happy.

DeletedUser

Or even simpler: UK mods can’t play UK worlds. If mods are paid for their services with Premium Points, then they can play .net or any other server, just not the one that they moderate on. Everyone's happy.
[th]No, not "everyone's happy". Just those doubtful people would be happy, which think InnoGames wouldn't check the admin logs for staff members cheating. ;-)

BTW: what's with German mods, who are moderating the German version, but don't speak english? With the Turkish mods? The Greece, the Italian, the... the... the...? Which version should they play, following your "idea"?

Next try, please - as this won't work, sorry.[/th]

DeletedUser8742

[th]No, not "everyone's happy". Just those doubtful people would be happy, which think InnoGames wouldn't check the admin logs for staff members cheating. ;-)[/th]

I’m in no way saying that mods cheat or that they even can. If you refer back to my first post you will see that my whole argument as to why mods shouldn’t play the worlds they can moderate is because of the suspicion it can creates. Whether they even have the ability to cheat is irrelevant. How many times has it been suggested that mods have an advantage or are cheating? All I’m saying is that I think a little more should be done to address the issue. I’ve suggested how I think the situation could be improved.
mattyflan also made a good suggestion.

[th]BTW: what's with German mods, who are moderating the German version, but don't speak english? With the Turkish mods? The Greece, the Italian, the... the... the...? Which version should they play, following your "idea"?

Next try, please - as this won't work, sorry.[/th]

I hate to use the old “not in my back yard” argument but since .net is English there’s no reason why this couldn’t work here. Sure this may not be practical for every server but for .uk, what’s the problem?

DeletedUser5175

for .uk, what’s the problem?

Punishing unpaid mods who volunteer to help out the community on the forums? They cannot cheat and they are not paid, leave them to enjoy the game they are contributing to

DeletedUser

none of this really matters as nauz will quite before he hits 10 villas anyway (well usually :p)

and as for new players landing in his 15x15 and getting sent restart mails if they were going to play this game for the long run not just start play it for a week then stop they would restart and slowly become better and understand restart mails get sent out all the time sometimes you believe them other times you don't so nauz playing only really effects the people he nobles and the few that don't restart strait away!!!

let the mods be mods and play the game the thing we have to worry about is when the pros come on the externals and moan there is no challenge in the world because all the best players are in the same tribe :p

DeletedUser8742

Punishing unpaid mods who volunteer to help out the community on the forums? They cannot cheat and they are not paid, leave them to enjoy the game they are contributing to

How would it punish them? They can still play .net.

Look I’m not saying that mods cheat. They don’t cheat. All I’m saying is that playing the same worlds that they moderate, creates for some players the impression that they have advantage, as evident by this threads existence. Perhaps what I suggested isn’t the best solution. All I’m saying is that something should be done to address this issue.

DeletedUser4

How would it punish them? They can still play .net.

Look I’m not saying that mods cheat. They don’t cheat. All I’m saying is that playing the same worlds that they moderate, creates for some players the impression that they have advantage, as evident by this threads existence. Perhaps what I suggested isn’t the best solution. All I’m saying is that something should be done to address this issue.

[tt]How many more times

MODS DO NOT PLAY THE WORLDS THEY MODERATE

[/tt]

DeletedUser8742

Sorry, I missed out the word "can". Should of read "...worlds that they can moderate..."

DeletedUser

I hate to use the old “not in my back yard” argument but since .net is English there’s no reason why this couldn’t work here. Sure this may not be practical for every server but for .uk, what’s the problem?

[th]It is "your back yard" as much as anyone else's, because if such a change would happen, it would have to happen globally to all InnoGames versions (and even beyond: to all their games). Why? Because it would mean that InnoGames has to change the WHOLE structure of staff building and rewarding their efforts. Right now a staff member gets premium in the version, which he's moderating. And that premium is not transferable. So what do you think would happen if Inno would change this policy?

a) Mods from language version without capability to play another (who don't speak any other language) will quit.
b) Players will still moan, because "They are staff elsewhere, sure they have friends amongst the staff in the other version as well".

Bottom line: back to what I said earlier in this thread: It won't work.

Besides: Why should a mod be enforced to search for co-players due to the lack of night bonus in .net? I'm not speaking of accounts like Nauz' which are co-played anyways. But there are mods, who play solo. They should be punished twice then? Not being capable in the version, which they like most and additionally they have to play versions without some major feature, which probably is one reason for them to play at all?

Carrying some arguments any further: Some people talk to staff members on a regular base. They are even somewhat like friends sometimes. I'd say: "They shouldn't be allowed to play such versions either!" What is good enough for staff members ("they have friends, who mod the world") should be good enough for normal players as well, shouldn't it? So - every (former) tribe member, which played in the same tribe as Nauz - or any other staff member - is too suspicious now! We should send them all to .net. Immediately!

People quit more easily, when receiving a "start over"-mail from Nauz in their 15x15? Right! Nauz gains advantage from it! As do some other top-scorers from other worlds. Wait! Now that would mean, we'd have to ban all "known" players with a monstrous reputation from this version! Yes, indeed, send them elsewhere, they shouldn't play here...

Probably some of you have noticed in the meantime how pointless most of the arguments are. The mentioned "solutions" wouldn't have to stop at restricting staff members, because the same arguments could be used to a lot of normal players as well.[/th]

DeletedUser8742

Ok fair point. I guess that idea isn’t workable. Nevertheless the problem still remains.

DeletedUser

I am on .UK right...? Some people don't seem to understand English here...

I read that he could abuse his Mod status to make people restart but there are In-Game Mods looking for that and it's also Tracey's job... so y'know... failed argument there.

/bash.

DeletedUser

There is no problem, only a percieved problem. Mods can't play on the worlds they moderate, and can only moderate their alloted world, they have no mod rights on other worlds.

Forum mods, can only moderate the world they are allotted. Eldar forum moderators can moderate any world on the server they work on. However, they would be reported immediately if they were seen to be acting in a biassed manner, I know I have reported mods I thought were being biassed. And when a complaint is recieved, Innogames investigate, and take action if the complaint is upheld.

I'm sorry, but these accusations, are foundless.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

There is no problem, only a percieved problem. Mods can't play on the worlds they moderate, and can only moderate their alloted world, they have no mod rights on other worlds.

Forum mods, can only moderate the world they are allotted. Global forum moderators can moderate any world on the server they work on. However, they would be reported immediately if they were seen to be acting in a biassed manner, I know I have reported mods I thought were being biassed. And when a complaint is recieved, Innogames investigate, and take action if the complaint is upheld.

I'm sorry, but these accusations, are foundless.

Elder* :) E.g. Nauzhror.

Status
Not open for further replies.