Offence or Defence

DeletedUser

After careful consideration, I believe my main view has slipped away from the idea of going fully offensive. I made this thread just as a discussion for the first village; on any world, activity means that playing offense is the fastest way to grow. Here are my arguments for the new world.

For Defence:

Defense is relatively cheap and easy to come by. You can use the spare/excess resources from resource production, or when building the smithy up - needing only a level 1 barracks.

Defense virtually guarantees protection from catapults. Since the enemy will not be farming, they will not have a massive offense; and so I think that for the first village, defense will outpower offence.

Defense means you do not have to be active to dodge any incoming attacks - therefore there is no punishment for inactivity, which going offensive would require.

If scouted, it would act as a deterrence to any attackers. Why would anybody try and wipe out your defense, if it left them open to assault from anyone else in the area?

Against Offence :

When catapults come into play, you will still have to dodge any incomings and backtime - doing harmful damage to your resource structures.

You would have to be very active, or send your troops out when you are offline: if you didn't do this and were attacked, you would be at the mercy of your attacker and be completely screwed at the shortest of notice.

Limited farming - the light cavalry haul capacity is now redundent, putting a huge nerf on their need.

Final thoughts: So you can have a great defensive army, including catapults, and be able to knock down structure of those that decided to build nothing...

So please, discuss below. Anything you feel I have missed, anything you would like to argue against. Any mathematical evidence to back up any of this will be highly beneficial - although as the world has not started, I feel alot of this is guessed logic.

Maggie Wallis

Reaction score
simple.. Sword nukes... ask Garg to get his calculator out and show you how a sword nuke with LC gives you the best troop build for first village that can defend and attack per res spent...

after all res is limited, not just a question of how much you can farm...

Axe/HC worked well on the last limited haul world due to the abundance of iron on the market... but sword nukes are more smexy...

DeletedUser

Can't we just have a thread called ZeroPerf's questions...?

DeletedUser

I'm just to active for .Co.Uk ;)

Errors
The following errors occurred with your submission
This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds.

DeletedUser

My opinion is to go offensive, so you csn get the competetion in your area. Like i did on a .net world become top 50

DeletedUser

ofense good because troops win wars not points lol and defens you cant win wars and win tw :)

DeletedUser

yarp troops win wars not stupid point whores every player ahead of me in points is a pointwhore and i will noble them all

DeletedUser

early game , even your troops wont guarantee you moving to the next stage ( offensive or defensive ) ... I believe good diplomacy is what is required in early stages of the game .

make friends , get good tribes , make selective tribal diplomacies will make sure you are standing on your feet after the initial stage.

DeletedUser12303

After careful consideration, I believe my main view has slipped away from the idea of going fully offensive. I made this thread just as a discussion for the first village; on any world, activity means that playing offense is the fastest way to grow. Here are my arguments for the new world.

For Defence:

Defense is relatively cheap and easy to come by. You can use the spare/excess resources from resource production, or when building the smithy up - needing only a level 1 barracks.

Defense virtually guarantees protection from catapults. Since the enemy will not be farming, they will not have a massive offense; and so I think that for the first village, defense will outpower offence.

Defense means you do not have to be active to dodge any incoming attacks - therefore there is no punishment for inactivity, which going offensive would require.

If scouted, it would act as a deterrence to any attackers. Why would anybody try and wipe out your defense, if it left them open to assault from anyone else in the area?

Against Offence :

When catapults come into play, you will still have to dodge any incomings and backtime - doing harmful damage to your resource structures.

You would have to be very active, or send your troops out when you are offline: if you didn't do this and were attacked, you would be at the mercy of your attacker and be completely screwed at the shortest of notice.

Limited farming - the light cavalry haul capacity is now redundent, putting a huge nerf on their need.

Final thoughts: So you can have a great defensive army, including catapults, and be able to knock down structure of those that decided to build nothing...

So please, discuss below. Anything you feel I have missed, anything you would like to argue against. Any mathematical evidence to back up any of this will be highly beneficial - although as the world has not started, I feel alot of this is guessed logic.

Great thread but it seems all good players playing the world seriously go offensive. It's just known.

When o and def is organised properly by a duke its a different story and both are equally effective. I find it easier to defend with off and it's faster to build with and has always served me well.

Flawless

Reaction score
First village being defensive literally condemns you to have a crappy 2nd village, stunting growth.
Defence as many people have said takes longer to build than offence.
Limited hauls means nothing its the dominance in the area you want,
People will be too feared to attack you as what comes after might just take them out the game totally.

DeletedUser8219

First village being defensive literally condemns you to have a crappy 2nd village, stunting growth.
Defence as many people have said takes longer to build than offence.
Limited hauls means nothing its the dominance in the area you want,
People will be too feared to attack you as what comes after might just take them out the game totally.

The best option (though not always possible) is for every member of your tribe to build a small amount of D so that you can coordinate stacks together while still maintaining enough offense to expand properly

Flawless

Reaction score
Yeah thats if your tribe is fully Cooperative and Active. Even so you should have a small amount of D for sniping in most villages.