Same sex marriages in Scotland

DeletedUser

So for those of you who don't know, there is a debate going on in Scotland about whether the goverment is doing the right thing by allowing same sex marriages.

Personally, I think it should be allowed. I don't think that in this day in age we should as a society be discriminating towards any LGBT regardless of if we like it or not or it goes against our values/beliefs. For the fact that everyone has different values and beliefs, i think its irrational for anyone to think that because they believe something that everyone else should believe that too. For me thats kinda what I see the catholic church doing with this issue, trying to force their beliefs and values on others who don't want to have them.

I just don't get the churches point really :s their not going to be forced to perform these ceremony. They can still stick to, what I see as, their discriminatory ways if they wish, so what is their problem ???

Just as a foot note: Two thirds of Scotland are in favour of allowing same sex marriages.

So is this just a case of the church losing their grip on our societys, in which 500 years ago they pretty much ruled, and spitting their dummys out?
Or does their argument hold any value

DeletedUser

If you ask me, religion is completely obsolete now. The fact that they hold any sway after the torment they've put humanity through is nothing short of lunacy.

As for same sex marriages, I'm straight and therefore completely indifferent. If they want to get married, fair enough, it's not hurting anyone and it's nothing more than a title.

DeletedUser

I don't understand what the big deal is with this. Is civil marriage any different from civil partnership? I thought they were exactly the same apart from the name.

If the state is going to rubber-stamp gay-marriage, why not polygamous marriage, or even marriage between siblings? Personally I don't see why we think we need marriage nowadays, it's completely lost its purpose and meaning. With the ease at which you can divorce, it is only really a temporary arrangement anyway.

I don't care about the legislation, but I don't at all understand the RC church's vehement opposition. It has no implications on religious marriages (as far as I can see) and is just homophobic political interference - it is this kind of thing that makes religion (an essentially beneficial invention) look so bad to the non-religious.

DeletedUser3312

Well it can't be a debate if everyone agrees. So I'm just gonnah throw it out there and say being gay isn't natural. And if I was religeous, I'd say men are supposed to be with women, it's in the all mighty God's interest and marriage is an act in front of God. If Gay marriage was allowed, then it would be a direct insult to God and you would rot in hell

Personally I don't care who gets married to what. I would marry myself if it were possible. Why isn't it? Well yeah.. As in being Gay as a whole, got no problem with gays. In my eyes they're just leaving more for the rest of us - so dun yall start calling me a gay hater I'm just sparking activity.

DeletedUser11285

Please religion is full of rubbish There is no higher Place of existence. nor is there a higher force that created the world.

God is just an illusion if there was sum one who claimed to be god it would just be a man who knew how to play people or manipulate them. we all have done it sum one who is stupid or gullible we do it most days getting things for free, getting money off products, talking people into giving us what we want it does not mean we are gods. It just mean we know how to Use them.

If a man came to earth now claiming he was the one true god and that he proved to us he could

walk on water,
heal the sick,
bring people back from the dead,
cure world hunger,
stop world war,

All by a click of his fingers

Would that make him god Or just a very technical Advanced Human we can do all them things it just take a while do complete them and in 100 years time we might be able to bring people who have been dead for hours even days instead of just minutes its all just technology who every has the most advanced is on top.

And let people love who they want you can not help who you fall in love with if it makes you happy who cares what people think if it bothers you so much go kill yourself and if your so called god has a problem with it why does he not do anything thats because he is full of shit.

An incite into the Mind of Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Put simply, religion was an explanation for things we didn't have a rational explanation for, which now we do. The fact that it still exists is concerning.

DeletedUser

We now have a rational explanation for love/death/suffering/beauty/existence?

Having a "rational explanation" doesn't mean it's true, nor does it mean it's useful. Religion may be superstitious, but saying "religion is nonsense" is not the same as providing an alternative solution to the problems it seeks to address. I think we are no closer to understanding these things than we were 2000 years ago, for all the Higgs Bosons we've since invented.

DeletedUser

The only problem is that it seeks to address a problem that isn't a problem.

It's the exact same concept as making walking under ladders illegal.

DeletedUser3312

Put simply, religion was an explanation for things we didn't have a rational explanation for, which now we do. The fact that it still exists is concerning.
What is the meaning of life?
Why do we truly die?
What happens after we die?
Why are we born?
Why are we all not asexual?
Why do we have emotion?
Why are we the only known living thing to develop this level of intelligence?

Pretty sure we don't have a rational explanation for everything. Very nescient answer there Pushty, tut tut.