Secrecy Builds Suspicion (Or Why I left ORC)

DeletedUser

Note: This post contains nothing but the truth to the best of my knowledge. It was written in good faith, and while some of the things I am going to say here will be considered contraversial - particularly by those still in ORC - I would ask that anyone wishing to respond them sit back and think about them a little before they do so.

I appear to have become the latest controversy on UK1, unsurprisingly, due to my jumping ship from ORC to W1N.

I'll be the first person to jump up and say that ORC was a great tribe (yeah, I've seen what my new tribe mates are writing, and I disagree... just because I switch tribes doesn't mean I'm going to change my mind on what I believe). I strongly believe that we really had a chance to be there at the end and make UK1 sit up and take notice. We were the first tribe who didn't simply crack and fold when W1N sent out their tribewide calling for members to apply for spots in their tribe as they were aiming for us next. We fought that fight and we fought it well - we were not defeated. ORC was a tribe I was proud to be a member of, regardless of what people said about it.

For a while though, I'd been left wondering what went wrong. It used to be that we worked together and talked all the time - I'm sure there must be some around who still remember the good times. Maybe I had a slightly different view of that than some other members, as I got on with the tribe leadership and was even one of them for a while. But then, slowly that slowed to a trickle. People stopped talking. People stopped participating. People were more inclined to hold their nukes even after promising to send them as part of a campaign. Things became secretive.

The problems with secrets, is that they - as the title of this says - breed suspicion. I was first suspicous when C-Rex encouraged me to get Rommelz to sit me when I was looking for a sitter - he wasn't in our tribe, for starters. And I don't believe we were even officially allied again at that point. The original player for Rommelz had, to the best of my knowledge at that point, disappeared. I asked who was playing the account and was told there was a new player but I didn't need to know who it was. I don't know about everyone else, but I'd prefer to know who is looking after my account. I asked why it was such a big secret - didn't she trust me? Weren't we friends? Hadn't I been in the tribe for well over a year and proven myself a loyal member? Why did it need to be a secret? The only reason I could think of was that there was cheating going on. Otherwise, what could possibly be the problem? I turned down the offer.

A niggling suspicion started at that point, but I pushed it down. Rexxie was my friend and my duke. There had to be a better explanation.

There were other things that had started to irritate me as well. Support pulled hours before attacks were landing with no notice of intent, so there was no chance to arrange for other support in there whether it be my own or that of others. Support with others that had been supposedly short term that, despite mail and skype requests about whether it could be pulled back to be sent elsewhere where it was needed, took over a week to be properly replied about. It seemed courtesy was going one way.

Some players seemed to get a lot more support than others, whether it be by troops or by words. If you spoke up and made a valid point and it countered something one of them had said, you would get jumped on. No one would explain why they thought you were wrong. They'd just say you were wrong, and the only reason you might think in such a way was because you hated another player within the tribe or some other similarly ludicrous non-reason.

There are lots of little stories about things like that. Internals right beside me given to others - for reasons that were annoying but seemed to make some sense until I had one of them have my sit for a short while and all of a sudden they were taking a lot of internals for my account. And not necessarily where I'd have wanted to take them. Lots of little stories and I've heard them from lots of ORCs.

And then I had separate accounts from other people confirm what I suspected about C-Rex and Rommelz - that both were being played by the same person. I was so disappointed. To see her writing in the skype about hating people who played multiple accounts or were spies - Rommelz was in LRAG - when I had separate accounts telling me that that was exactly what she herself was doing... the hypocracy stung. And that it was someone I had looked up to, as the Duke of my tribe, and as a friend, just made it worse.

Rommelz is not the last account to go through this metamorphasis to a new, secret player. Make of that what you will.

More stories continued to back up this new viewpoint of the tribe leadership, but again it was C-Rex who was most often the one pointed out as the culprit. Not the only one, but the main one. A lot of my friends had left, and more were leaving. Some left with good reason, but would not have left the way they did if it hadn't been for the way they'd been treated - both in game and outside. A lot of other people talked about leaving. Whether they all have or not, I can't say.

There was the password scandal, which led to three accounts being banned. I was only aware of two of these until yesterday. There are stories I could tell about this situation - but there are people who could be hurt by my doing so. And so those will remain with me and those who shared them. The official line is that they were unsolicited. The actual fact is they were very much solicited - and I'd go do far as to assume that any that they received unsolicited were only unsolicted because they were volunteered before they could be asked for, but usually this happened outside of the game to avoid being caught.

My options were thus:
Stay - impossible.
LRAG - I didn't know anyone in LRAG at the time, and my main knowledge of them was how ORC was screwed over in the past by their turning their back on our alliance. I've since heard a very interesting tale that paints that situation in a different light and if even a little of it is true points the blame squarely elsewhere - I'm going to assume I was told on trust and not share it here. It's a story for others to tell if they are so inclined. At the time however, I didn't trust them, and so they were also not an option. Plus Midgey is in there ;)
Go on my own - I seriously considered this.
W1N - I'd had interest from W1N for a while. I knew Buchanan from his time in ORC, and while I'd felt hurt and betrayed when he left the tribe for W1N, we'd worked past that to become friends again. I had enouragement from other friends from ORC to take this path as well. So I did.

Of course, then things get complicated, as they always do. The Butchery formed. I'd already agreed to go to W1N by this point, so it was never an option. I think I'd have liked it though. C-Rex announced she was leaving a few days ago.

Unfortunately, that also was too late.

I've had quite a few accusations in the past day since I switched.
I've been told that I'm a traitor, a betrayer, a cheat, a liar, a hypocrit. I've been told I'm disloyal and that it's people like me who ruin the game. I've had accusations that the stats prove that I did not attack and defend enough and so I've always been a spy (seriously? What are you on, and can I have some... sounds like amazing stuff). Oh, and apparently I hacked and deleted an account I've only ever sat once. I hadn't even known there was a problem with it until they told me - after it went barb and I asked what happened! I've also had some messages indicating that people understand why I did what I did, and those I appreciate.

I understand that people are hurt and betrayed - I felt like that when Goats, Terminator and Buchanan left for W1N, so I really do understand. The point is, I was put in an impossible situation. How could I stay? To stay was to condone what was being done. To speak up was to be shouted down with a strong chance of being kicked and/or internalled. I have done my best to help others in the tribe - even up to the last moment.

I was a loyal member of ORC for a year and a half - how many others of you who level the accusations can claim as such? This was not something I did lightly. It wasn't easy, and I expect it will remain as such - particularly with the amount of incoming I have now! Amazing how they can't find a nuke to help you attack someone in an operation, but the second you switch sides they're all levelled at you!

So many situations could have been sorted out if the council had just talked to - not at, but to - the tribe. Been honest with the tribe. It was never really necessary for me to even be a spy during the time I was preparing my account for the switch over - not only were there already enough in there (I presume others who had problems with the tribe for reasons of their own) but ORC even managed to announce it's intentions loud and clear with the past few operations. I did not share everything I knew - I might have been done with ORC, but didn't mean I was going to be crass about about this all. I was not doing this to screw people over who had done nothing or knew nothing about the situation.

There's no need to have a spy if you give the game away yourself by bad planning and execution. But I can't see that being a problem much longer. ORC is merging into LRAG. Those who don't make the cut - and there are limited places - best of luck. Those who do, I hope that the leadership improves and learns how to communicate and trust again.

Secrecy breeds suspicion and paranoia. And that, unfortunately, is a summation of why ORC is no longer the tribe for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Well, i can't belive i am actually going to say this but, Dec, i actually agree with you!!!

DeletedUser

LRAG - I didn't know anyone in LRAG at the time, and my main knowledge of them was how ORC was screwed over in the past by their turning their back on our alliance. I've since heard a very interesting tale that paints that situation in a different light and if even a little of it is true points the blame squarely elsewhere - I'm going to assume I was told on trust and not share it here. It's a story for others to tell if they are so inclined. At the time however, I didn't trust them, and so they were also not an option. Plus Midgey is in there ;)
Go on my own - I seriously considered this.
W1N - I'd had interest from W1N for a while. I knew Buchanan from his time in ORC, and while I'd felt hurt and betrayed when he left the tribe for W1N, we'd worked past that to become friends again. I had enouragement from other friends from ORC to take this path as well. So I did.
two words TURN COAT lol listen u left because u scared of a few hundred nukes headed your way from w1n simples, stop whining and grow a pair will you.

Lrag turning our backs on the alliance hahahaha kettle black silly girl, ORC where just to blame war was always on the cards at that time.

why all the hate for midge? he a great guy wouldnt hurt a fly, gentle as a baby lol.

oh and spyyyyyyy comes to mind. we always suspected you :icon_rolleyes:

DeletedUser

obviously there will be stories going around all over about this but maybe in different formations,
you have asked people to take time to read this and think before they judge

did you do this before you moved to w1n??

if what you say is TRUE then yes i can understand why you would leave orc, but to leave it to w1n of course you would get stick it goes without saying, you now have joined the enemy and become the number 1 enemy, worse of all you now have to attack your ex tribe mates. where it seems you still have some friends still there, you've said you've called others traitors for doing exactly the same so you can expect that at least.

w1n may have said you don't have to attack orc but over time, well time will tell.

i'm not saying these stories are true i'm sure people will take them the way they want to

but in the same situation i could understand and if w1n were interested in me or not i don't think i could ever join them

DeletedUser

No, who said about not attacking orc??
Ive already had about 10 incoming land from her, and have done the same back. We are still mates though, so remember, this is a war game!! Incoming and attacking is half the fun!! lol

DeletedUser

obviously there will be stories going around all over about this but maybe in different formations,
you have asked people to take time to read this and think before they judge

did you do this before you moved to w1n??

if what you say is TRUE then yes i can understand why you would leave orc, but to leave it to w1n of course you would get stick it goes without saying, you now have joined the enemy and become the number 1 enemy, worse of all you now have to attack your ex tribe mates. where it seems you still have some friends still there, you've said you've called others traitors for doing exactly the same so you can expect that at least.

w1n may have said you don't have to attack orc but over time, well time will tell.

i'm not saying these stories are true i'm sure people will take them the way they want to

but in the same situation i could understand and if w1n were interested in me or not i don't think i could ever join them

Thank you for taking the time to answer in a way which shows you've thought about it. I did think about this, and I thought hard. I've worked hard to get where I am. I didn't want to just quit. I didn't really want to go on my own either - this game is called 'tribal wars' for a reason.

From what you're saying, you're basically where I was a month or so ago. Until very recently, I wasn't sure I would be able to switch sides. I've even had doubts about it since I did so - However, aside from all the abuse I've had several friends remind me that it is a game, and you can't always be on the same side as your friends. And as long as you all remember it is a game you can still have fun.

It's when things get personal, and when people forget that it's a game - when they start to cheat and act in ways that are not conductive to people getting on - that things start to get ugly.

As Stevie says, it's a war game. I'd be daft if I was on a different side and didn't attack them. Just as I'm not blaming any of them for launching attacks on me. Vilification - of both sides - has been rampant. I don't agree with it unless there is just cause for it. Better to get along and enjoy the game whichever side you're on. And better to make sure that those incapable of doing so are caught, branded and thrown out.

DeletedUser

@HardRain. Haha! I'm sure Decursus could tell you all about the few hundred incoming she faced a few times from W1N so it's not about being scared of incoming now, is it?

As for LRAG, you're extremely over confident. I like Taff and think he's worked wonders after the kicking the tribe took once upon a time but the stats are turning.

As for the "always suspected" - brilliant. How long did you suspect? I could do with a laugh.

DeletedUser1942

two words TURN COAT lol listen u left because u scared of a few hundred nukes headed your way from w1n simples, stop whining and grow a pair will you.

To be quite honest Hardrain, i dont think you know what your talking about.

Of the players LRAG have so far taken in - most have sat back and watched there tribe mates get decimated on the frontline. They think they will be better off in LRAG, but they are wrong.

LRAG have made this world extremely harder for themselves. There council will get greedy on the internals that come to fruition, and W1N will continue to encroach at a rapid speed.

DeletedUser

Only warning I'm giving...discussion of cheating shouldn't be done on these forums. General questions and debate are fine but it's almost verging on specifics, and that will cause infractions. If there is any issue regarding players cheating, please by all means send in a support ticket so we can get the people ruining the game play out of here.

DeletedUser

No, who said about not attacking orc??
Ive already had about 10 incoming land from her, and have done the same back. We are still mates though, so remember, this is a war game!! Incoming and attacking is half the fun!! lol

well said Steve, it's a game!

DeletedUser

I understand there is some tension, passion, feelings etc. coming out in this thread. Please consider your posts carefully, make sure they fall within the forums rules, before submitting them.

Thanks

DeletedUser

LRAG have made this world extremely harder for themselves. There council will get greedy on the internals that come to fruition, and W1N will continue to encroach at a rapid speed.

I respectfully disagree, Stutzy. LRAG have always given the opportunity of internals to members, especially if the internals are local to them.

DeletedUser

I feel so sorry for the Orc guys who will not be invited to LRAG and are left out in the cold.
It is sad that people who have show loyalty to a tribe and its leadership are disregard and left out for the wolfs to take.

DeletedUser

I feel so sorry for the Orc guys who will not be invited to LRAG and are left out in the cold.
It is sad that people who have show loyalty to a tribe and its leadership are disregard and left out for the wolfs to take.

Tbh, Were not like that,
Im sure we will think of something to keep everyone happy,
We all show loyalty, And ORC isnt like you think... we dont abandon our own, we will think of something.

DeletedUser

The1Fear. Sorry but that's absolute rubbish. LRAG will only take in so many and the smaller players deemed inactive or not good enough will become food.

Unless The Butchery change their recruitment policy all these "loyal" players will get screwed over and rimmed. This isn't for the sake of argument - just cold, hard fact. In any merger, there are always casualties and the ones who don't make it in, for whatever reason, have been abandoned, even if that isn't the intention.

DeletedUser2961

Wow ~ I believe I have been where Dec has been when I joined CHE!!! ~ Do people forget this is a game? If you're not enjoying it and think it would be more fun and enjoyable elsewhere - then move!!

DeletedUser

The1Fear. Sorry but that's absolute rubbish. LRAG will only take in so many and the smaller players deemed inactive or not good enough will become food.

Unless The Butchery change their recruitment policy all these "loyal" players will get screwed over and rimmed. This isn't for the sake of argument - just cold, hard fact. In any merger, there are always casualties and the ones who don't make it in, for whatever reason, have been abandoned, even if that isn't the intention.

Maybe... Im not the council so i cant say can i,

But im sure they wont be rimmed, nobled,
I dont know what will happen, but im pretty sure they wont get rimmed

DeletedUser

Well i'll just have to make sure they are then, unless they all decide to hit delete first like dogwart :icon_rolleyes: