Skype or not to Skype... Thats the question

DeletedUser

Is it time for this thread on this world....

Has everyone come to the conclusion that world Skypes dont work?

I dont know the answers, im not overly sure of the question.

But here is a W7 Skype thread if anyone wants to set it up.....

DeletedUser

I've notice it working poorly intermittently. Times when it does not update for hours. I was on all day the other day and was 2 hours behind the conversation all day until just before midnight. So it certainly is a crap service in my opinion. Other times it works fine. but you always notice when it is not updating and should.

DeletedUser

I miss the good ol' times of IRC and trivia bot! None of this fancy skyping :D

DeletedUser1410

the thing with skype I've found, you have to have the people in that chat as contacts, oir you get Lag, and have to clear the chat every now and then , that also helps with the Lag

DeletedUser

the thing with skype I've found, you have to have the people in that chat as contacts, oir you get Lag, and have to clear the chat every now and then , that also helps with the Lag

I have had it happen on one on one conversations not just group chat. This is when both people are on-line at the same time.

DeletedUser

For tribe or world skypes does everyone get to go in the same chat and see everyone elses posts or is it just individual contacts for each player?

DeletedUser

For tribe or world skypes does everyone get to go in the same chat and see everyone else's posts or is it just individual contacts for each player?

Well I have used Tribe Chat and it has happened to fail whilst other chats continue and I have had one2one chats that have failed and Tribe Chat has continued. So it is a very unstable platform for messenger.

Found 1 tribe q/a working while tribe chat has failed for me as well. It seems to be happening more often now also.

DeletedUser

Tribe chats I don't like, because as soon as one dick manages to get on it the whole thing's ruined. Also they're not good as forums for conversations as some peeps just stop using Skype, and anything that gets discussed slides very far up the page very quickly. If tribe chats survive they don't stay productive after, also. They normally end up with silly names, too.

World chats are fun though. If you get enough peeps on. I'd join.

DeletedUser

Tribe chats I don't like, because as soon as one dick manages to get on it the whole thing's ruined. Also they're not good as forums for conversations as some peeps just stop using Skype, and anything that gets discussed slides very far up the page very quickly. If tribe chats survive they don't stay productive after, also. They normally end up with silly names, too.

Tribe chats work when people are active on them as this means communication is quicker and often it is hard to keep in game mails and world forums active and people just want to play the game where IM is faster then your browser so works better for use.

DeletedUser5175

Fully agree about the sliding up the page, especially when you log on after going out for the weekend :icon_eek:

I think the reverse about the forums tho mint, in my experience the activity on the forums dies and is hard to keep up whilst the spam keeps on coming on skype (mixed in with a rare bit off on-topica) constantly throughout a world

DeletedUser

Well that may be true about pointless spam and the annoying changing titles but all serious stuff on skype would just be dull and make i'd say a good 50% of people not use it. (Anyways if its really important you just pm them or make a smaller chat for the players involved.)

At the OP, world chats only really work late game when you see the core group of late gamers which have stayed, and you make sure someone who is sensible and fair has host. :) ie. Not Adellion.

DeletedUser1410

Skype for me and a tribe is a must, but I do have some that can't or don't want to use it. I understand about the spam, but I think if your going to trust someone in the tribe you need to know them a little too, thats why I use skype, the forum get used too but if your on skype things are sometimes easier to sort ie Quick support or for sitting, As for World chats lol would crash my comp I think lol

DeletedUser

Really, Ska, forums die before Skype? I've never seen that before. But then again this is the first world I've been in a tribe of less than 50 on so maybe it's true for small tribes. Mass-recruiters <3, they are fun if you do the forums.

Gronak ik it'd be all really really borin if it was just tw, I meant really, seriously unproductive, and the first post o the thread was about whether Skype works or not for TW. Most people don't use it after being added anyway :D. People just use the forums for organising and stuff, because it sticks around even after people have stopped discussing it. The last tribalskype I was in apart from this one was never used for anything except the dukes and scripters swapping new scripts which worked on V7.0. It was called, I think, 'Can we haz BJs pls? Yes we can!', if you are interested.

DeletedUser5175

Im basing this on the last two tribes ive been in since i returned to TW both of which are rank one tribes on w6 and w7 Mint, also i played a bit for a top 5 tribe on w1 for a while when i came back but i quit w1 as it was only as a favour that i was playing, on all of these worlds skype was the main communication for the tribes.

DeletedUser

Lol I was just surprised, it's always been the opposite with what you've had with me.