Spys

DeletedUser

Thoughts? Are they a necessary evil? morally wrong?

Personally i do not get why somebody would intentionally be a spy, and what they personally would gain.

DeletedUser

What does anyone gain from the game? It's all about fun, and I can see how spying could be a lot of fun.

They're not necessary but can be very useful. I certainly wouldn't describe spying as "morally wrong", though personally I hate having to lie and dislike being lied to. But it's a war game, it's part of it. It adds to the realism and excitement.

DeletedUser11285

Its part of the game i have had spys since .net i thought every person had spys. (or is that just me:) i understand the concept of spys our countries use then to gather info same as we do on this game. i don't believe there wrong just frowned upon lol

DeletedUser9598

Agree spies just add to the game, if you have your own then knowing what your enemy are gonna do is a great benefit, on the other hand catching a spy and given them a royal rimming is also a great feeling. The only time spies annoy me is when you cant find them :lol: but no spy is completely uncatchable

DeletedUser

So, is the spy at fault for being a devious so and so.. or does it show poor leadership to allow a spy to operate under your nose...?

Personally, don't think i could internally reveal detailed operations to an enemy...... using the information though is a different matter haha

DeletedUser9598

Each to there own mate, if people like spying then thats there choice, i wouldnt do it myself, like to think im an honest guy but some people enjoy that side of the game, gives them an extra thrill

DeletedUser4753

People love spies when they have one in an enemy
and hate them on the vice versa.

morally im not a fan, purely as one truth put it, i hate lying or being lied to.
I consider myself trust worthy, and i think thats a good attribute, some one who steals information for you evidently has it in them to do the opposite.

I dont hate them and they are a part of the game, hence i keep sensetive details to pm, but for me a spy fills his/her role more in pnp ie find some funny posts, as opposed to giving a edge in war.

DeletedUser9598

But you wouldnt grumble if said spy gave you the intel of your enemies noble planner, op plans or any other useful information lol its all good fun and part of the game............. until like i said, you cant find the ******* in your own tribe :lol:

DeletedUser8943

I know I'm the forum moderator and don't play this would but this element of the game is on that i really enjoy. I have never spied, but I have 'run' many spies in my game play and find it an intriguing part of the game. But the main thing I find from the espionage game isn't as much the intel it yields but the ability to paralyse the enemy with paranoia, and then get the reports of the mayhem from my 'assets', getting the enemy to disintegrate. Often I didnt even have a spy in the enemy ranks, just managed to get a bit of intel through loose lips and then run with it, plant the seeds, water them and let the paranoia blossom. :D

When faced with a spy in the ranks of my tribe, I love the thrill of the hunt. Setting little traps, and ploys luring the spy to reveal themselves. But never take it personally, its all just a game. When I do find the spy I always argue against rimming them, I prefer to fill them with false information first :D

Never thought the course I took in uni on the history of espionage and propaganda would ever have practical uses :p

Its great for propoganda as well.
resistance-page1.jpg

RESISTANCEISREAL-page1.jpg
onionseller-page1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser4753

Lol I've hadthe paranoia trick done to me before, when said conflict was over and all on good terms,I was like "so was that spy after checking people out and exhausting all my ploys I never could find them. "Thier never was a spy you fool" I was both shocked and lol's at the situation .

Tbh I debate the usefullness of them, for example I could tell a player with large front line exposure that I'm going to opp them soon, they physically cannot stack every vill so how useful is a spy anyway,intact I'd say the biggest effect a spy would have is when caught, feeding wrong info to a tribe is far more harmful than info they seek to being lol

DeletedUser8943

For a few examples,I have achieved the following in the past

1) Gotten tribes to stop using noble planner and made planning ops a right pain for them (Funny how paranoid people get when any barb they are going for is either stacked or has massive amount of attacks real of fake pouring into them when they take them :p )
2) Gotten one lad that offered to spy for me but then used the mercy I should him to attack and do real damage to my friend, managed to get his tribe to turn on him, as I had kept my mails with him to cover who my real spy was :)
3) Forced one enemy tribe that was 10x bigger than my tribe to disband when I just kept stirring the paranoia pot.

DeletedUser4753

Haha your evidently a spy pro peadar :), I think almost all my dealing with them are detrimental to me in some shape or form, hence perhaps my stance on em

DeletedUser4753

May of been one of my tribes for num 1, I'm not a fan of using in war times for war targets and often prefer to have skype/pm opps due to the spy fsctor
So maybe you have made me constantly paranoid, dam you ;)

DeletedUser1942

I personally think spies are a big part of the game. Using them is just another way of getting the upper hand over an enemy, the same as attacking someone when you notice they are inactive.

It is great seeing what enemies write about you - and also seeing what enemies are planning, however, that works both ways - but flushing spies out can be fun aswell.

DeletedUser

I know I'm the forum moderator and don't play this would but this element of the game is on that i really enjoy. I have never spied, but I have 'run' many spies in my game play and find it an intriguing part of the game. But the main thing I find from the espionage game isn't as much the intel it yields but the ability to paralyse the enemy with paranoia, and then get the reports of the mayhem from my 'assets', getting the enemy to disintegrate. Often I didnt even have a spy in the enemy ranks, just managed to get a bit of intel through loose lips and then run with it, plant the seeds, water them and let the paranoia blossom. :D

When faced with a spy in the ranks of my tribe, I love the thrill of the hunt. Setting little traps, and ploys luring the spy to reveal themselves. But never take it personally, its all just a game. When I do find the spy I always argue against rimming them, I prefer to fill them with false information first :D

This is pretty much exactly my opinion.

As we're in a bragging mood, my most successful subterfuge was over a period of a couple of months in w4. My tribe was clearly going to lose a war, so I made a peace deal with the enemy where by I "allowed" them to recruit my three biggest members. I effectively controlled a continent in which I had just a handful of villages. A few weeks later, being pretty much on my own now, the enemy attacked again. This time they had their own players stacking my villages, losing ridiculous numbers of nukes. You can easily snipe every time if sniping at noble speed from the same village as the train! It was obvious that I was getting outside support from somewhere, and they assumed it was the other big tribe in the region and declared war on them. It was the highlight of my tribal wars experience, so much more exciting than taking villages.

DeletedUser4753

You was in bi? was you not, i left before owt happened how the hell did we not pwn w4 :p

DeletedUser6603

Spies are great :)

Used them on W7, and have had them on W12 too. Like peadar said, the best thing about having spies is the paranoia and confusion they can create in the ranks of the enemy. Stops them focusing on what they really should be doing - fighting your tribe.

At the end of the day, this game is a war game, and in times of war you use whatever advantage you can lay your hands on. Obviously in the case of TW that has to be within the rules!

As for dealing with spies, we've had a couple in the past, and its quite easy to manage it. There are plenty of ways of catching them out, and there are plenty of ways of manipulating an enemy spy to your advantage. The key thing when you know you have a spy in your midst is to not lose focus from what really matters, which is keeping your tribe focused on the fight and not worrying about what a spy is up to.

It's a part of the game that will never disappear, and nor should it :)

DeletedUser

As for dealing with spies, we've had a couple in the past, and its quite easy to manage it. There are plenty of ways of catching them out, and there are plenty of ways of manipulating an enemy spy to your advantage. The key thing when you know you have a spy in your midst is to not lose focus from what really matters, which is keeping your tribe focused on the fight and not worrying about what a spy is up to.

I see there being two ways of dealing with enemy spies - you either ensure that you are only recruiting people you trust, or you accept that they may be there and organise your business so that they can't do any real damage. The worst thing you can do is go on a witch hunt.

Regardless - decent spies can go undetected indefinitely if their handler takes proper care of them. Some people can't resist bragging to their enemies about the fact that they can read their forums; to me this is a real weakness. If the target tribe doesn't suspect a spy, your asset is safe.

DeletedUser4753

I see there being two ways of dealing with enemy spies - you either ensure that you are only recruiting people you trust, or you accept that they may be there and organise your business so that they can't do any real damage. The worst thing you can do is go on a witch hunt.

I go for the latter, structure opps and forums to be spy proof, so the best the spy will get is a date, but targets and what not are kept between the players and a opp organiser (sucks if that man is the spy)
I do this in war time and peace time be thier suspected spy or not, that way the worst a spy can do is find forum posts to laugh at, but like pablo said, if thats all they can do and regardless your tribe should focus on its priorities, then the damage a spy can do is minimal.
And as discussed with Peadar, its more the knowledge that their is a spy that wrecks tribes, than what the spy actually does themselves.

But yes will always be around, one just must either play the spy game back, or keep said spies out of your head, but im all for addition elements to tw, we have politics along with the war game, why should that not come hand in hand with the off the table spies and what not.