Start Up

Nauzhror

Reaction score
NOTE: This is for paladin worlds, which is what W1 is.

Startup is one of the most important stages as early on one player can dominate their area far more easily than they can later on, and also it doesn’t matter how good you are at late-game if you aren’t good enough at startup to survive to late-game if you land near a player who is decent at startup. Startup has several stages, what you doing most all of them depends on your location. I will attempt to list alternate options for each stage depending on your personal situation, but planning for all scenarios is obviously impossible:

Stage 1:
If you have at least 1 barb near you:
Iron 1
Clay 1
Wood 1

Otherwise:
Clay 1
Wood 1
Iron 1

Stage 2:
If you have no barbs near you at all:

Clay 2
Wood 2
Clay 3
Wood 3
Iron 2
Clay 4
Clay 5
Wood 4
Wood 5
Wood 6
Wood 7
Statue (Immediately train paladin and begin farming upon completion)

If you have 1 barb near you:
Clay 2
Wood 2
Clay 3
Wood 3
Iron 2
Clay 4
Wood 4
Wood 5
Wood 6

If you have 2-3 barbs near you:
Clay 2
Wood 2
Clay 3
Wood 3
Iron 2
Wood 4
Wood 5

If you have 4-5 barbs near you:
Clay 2
Wood 2
Clay 3
Wood 3
Wood 4

If you have more than 5 barbs near you and are not particularly active:
Clay 2
Wood 2
Wood 3

More than 5 barbs and very active:
Statue (Immediately train paladin and begin arming upon completion)

Stage 3:

HQ 2
HQ 3
Barracks 1

Stage 4:
Once you have 4 spears begin sending them to barbs with your paladin, until then they only slow it down and make you get fewer resources per minute.

If you have more than 4 barbs:
I would now suggest making 50-100 spears, keep sending your spears to the barbs alongside your paladin until you have 35 spears. Once you have 35 spears start sending 35 spears to each village separately from the paladin and send it to the barbs as its own group. How many spears you make should depend on your activity and area. The goal is to make as many spears as you need to make the barbs you are farming empty nonstop, but not so many that you are getting empty hauls or having spears sitting in your village. Too few is better than too many in this instance as the goal is to research and begin making light cavalry as fast as is possible. I’d suggest making a level 1 market at some point during this stage as you are likely to overflow on iron. Ideally you make a market early and put up trades of iron for wood. If accepted this lets you make spears faster, if not accepted it is spare iron for you to use for light cavalry production later on.

If you have less than 4 barbs:
If you have three or fewer than four barbs near you, you should only make 35 spears. Send the spears alongside the paladin when attacking barbs until you are up to 35 spears and then send them as a group separately from the paladin so you gain the benefit of his faster movement speed. I’d suggest making a level 1 market at some point during this stage as you are likely to overflow on iron. Ideally you make a market early and put up trades of iron for wood. If accepted this lets you make spears faster, if not accepted it is spare iron for you to use for light cavalry production later on.

Stage 5:

If you have fewer than 4 barbs:
HQ 4
HQ 5
Smithy 1
Smithy 2 (Research Axes)
Make somewhere from 15-25 spears per barb in your area. This is a total number, including the 35 you made previously.
Make thee axes per barb in your area.
Send one group of 15-25 spears alongside three axes to each barb in your area. Three axes is enough to keep the spears alive so you don’t have to replace 1-2 dead spears per trip. How many spars you need per barb is largely dependent upon your activity, if you are very active and are sending troops back out as soon as they return 15 per barb is plenty, otherwise you may want to lean closer to 25 than 15.

If you have 4 or more barbs:
HQ 4
HQ 5

Stage 6:

This is the final stage of this guide, the goal from here on out is to get HQ to 10 as fast as possible. The only upgrades you will be making before HQ reaches 10 are market upgrades to continue storing resources in if you come close to overflowing. The next goal is to raise barracks and smithy each to level 5.

I would suggest raising smithy to level 5 before barracks. The reason is that smithy is cheaper per unit of time. By this I mean that it has a longer construction period per its cost. What this means is that you have more time to farm for the resources for the following upgrade while the current one is being built, this makes it easier to stop the building queue from ever being idle. If you somehow get to the point where you are close to having your warehouse overflow while raising your smithy to 5 then feel free to mix in a level or two of barracks in before smithy reaches 5 to speed up your resource spending. If you are still getting mostly full hauls at this stage I would raise warehouse to level 6 (the level needed to be able to hold the lc research cost) and then make a level 3 stable and begin saving up to research lc. If you are getting lots of non-full hauls then I would make a level 1 stable before raising warehouse to level 6 and research scouts and then make 5 or so scouts (or 25 if this is a world where you have to send at least 5 to a village for them to live) and scout the villages around you to ensure you get full hauls. After making the lc I would then raise warehouse to level 6, then raise stable the rest of the way to level 3 and begin saving for lc research while continuing to scout and farm to save up.

Once you have researched lc you will want to do nothing (besides farming of course, you should always be doing that) but make 50 lc, as soon as your lc return, spend the haul on more lc and send them back out to farm again until you have 50 lc. Your rank will drop in this stage, but it’s well worth it as once you go back to building you will leave the competition in your dust due to your enhanced level of farming.

What to do after you have 50 lc:

Continue making lc and axes nonstop while farming, as able also queue HQ upgrades until you have a level 23 HQ. At this stage there are too many options to try and suggest exactly what to do, but usually you raise your mines up till roughly 20ish, then your barracks to 20 or so and stable to 15 or so, and then begin raising your smithy so you can make your academy. You won’t likely be the first person in your area to noble, but you’ll have one of the largest villages and have more troops than your neighbors.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Good read. i will be sure to incorporate some of this into my early stage building. Very useful

DeletedUser

I'm really liking the prevalence of Market for easy res. storing. I've been using it since around (Or before, I've got a bad memory) W14.net, and it's normally met by derision by a lot of other players.

Seeing it popping up in more respected guides makes me happy :)

DeletedUser

I think one think you forgot to factor in is ...

If you have a Nauz ,Matt etc near you.....

restart ?? :lol:

<3

Nauzhror

Reaction score
I think one think you forgot to factor in is ...

If you have a Nauz ,Matt etc near you.....

restart ?? :lol:

<3

I gave this some thought and have decided upon this.

Stage 1:

If Nauzhror is in your area:
Wood 1
Wood 2
Wood 3
Restart
Go back to the top of Stage 1

DeletedUser

Works well, but if it was me,

Statue 1 -Build Pally spike area
HQ 2
HQ 3
Brracks 1 - Build as many spears as posssible and spike your area.

Nauzhror

Reaction score
Works well, but if it was me,

Statue 1 -Build Pally spike area
HQ 2
HQ 3
Brracks 1 - Build as many spears as posssible and spike your area.

No no, the intent is to help Nauzh, not harm him. You want to improve the speed at which he spear whores by raising wood to level 3.

DeletedUser

Nice guides indeed. I feel you've effectively adapted to most scenarios which common start up guides generally fail to do. Nice work.

DeletedUser871

Nice guide.Looking forward to work wif u on w2 hope u will want to work wif us.

DeletedUser

In stage 2 with no barbs you don't build a statue, although this is fine the problem is you then go on to build a barracks in stage 3 without first building a statue, so I suggest adding in statue after 7 timber in stage 2 for people with no barbs.

Nauzhror

Reaction score
In stage 2 with no barbs you don't build a statue, although this is fine the problem is you then go on to build a barracks in stage 3 without first building a statue, so I suggest adding in statue after 7 timber in stage 2 for people with no barbs.

Added, hadn't realized it was never explicitly stated to be built eventually for people with no barbs.