The newbie's guide to scripts

DeletedUser

First off, this guide will cover the basics of scripts; what they are, how to use them, and how they help you. It won't actually include any scripts, as these can be found here, along with a description of how each individual one works, and how to edit it. This guide is not indented for experienced players, as indicated in the title. I will only cover the very basics.

Why is this guide necessary?
Well, over the years that I've been playing, there have been hundreds of people whom I have taught how to use scripts. I'm writing this to (hopefully) get all basic info about scripts into one place, so that I, and other people, can point them in the direction of this thread, rather than having to explain it to each individual player.

What is a script?
Scripts are codes, which generally aid you playing tribalwars. They are written in Javascript, one of the most common programming languages. I am totally useless at JS, so don't ask me how you actually make one. I just abuse other people's cleverness, and steal their scripts :icon_wink:

How do I use them?
This depends on whether or not you have a premium account.
Without Premium: Not all scripts will work, for example the mass-recruit script, which uses a page which non-premium users do not have! For the ones which do work, either save the script as a bookmark, and click that, or copy and paste it into the address bar and hit return. Bookmarking is much, much easier though. For more bookmarking details, with individual instructions for each browser, read below.

With Premium: Open up your quickbar (settings > edit quickbar). Click on "Add new link" and give it a sensible name. Then copy the script into the "Target-URL" box, and hit OK. (Yes, you may add a picture if you wish to make your quickbar pretty)

Why do I need them?
Scripts will help you no end with your daily routine. Things which would usually take hours can be completed in ten minutes, with the click of a button. Some people say they ruin the game, some choose not to use them because of this, but personally? I think that whilst they're allowed, use them! Well, if you wish to continue with your life!

The scripting rules
The rules are available from the help pages, so I won't go over them, but a lot of people ask me why there need to be rules in place. If there weren't rules with scripting, people would be able to run an account without actually touching it. Accounts could look after themselves, eliminating all skill involved. People could manage totally amazing timing, noble trains in 3 ms, and then splitting these trains! Which would not be a good thing.

A guide to bookmarking in each browser (For non-PA)

How to create a new bookmark on Firefox;
Firstly just in case you don't have your bookmarks bar visible I will show you how to do that.

Open firefox and once it has loaded right click anywhere along the menu bar,
now you get a little pop-up with a few options something like this,
first.png
Now click "Bookmarks Toolbar" and it should appear.

Once you have the bar visible to create a new bookmark you have to right click the Bookmarks bar itself,
and again you get a pop-up, now click "New Bookmark..."
This will give you a pop-up to create the new bookmark, enter the name for the new bookmark and since this guide is for scripts we paste the new Script into the location box.
second.png
You can enter a Keyword or Description if you like but they are not needed.
Hit add and thats it.

Now that is it, your new script is installed in your Bookmarks Bar

Bookmark guide for IE8;
First to show the Bookmarks Bar or Favourites Bar in IE, Just right click on the menu bar and click "Favourites Bar" now the Favourites Bar should be visible.

To add a new script to the Favourites Bar,
First on the menu bar at the top click Favourites >> Add to Favourites.. and it will give you a pop-up,
Now in this new window change the name to something suitable and in the drop down menu select the Favourites Bar and click "Add".
firstIE8.png
Your new Bookmark is set for the current page so we need to change the url.
Right click the new Bookmark and select Properties.

In the new window there is a URL field, we need to paste our new script into the field in place of the current path(make sure to remove the current path before pasting the script into it).
You can set a shortcut key but that is not necessary.
Now click Ok you should get a warning "The protocol JavaScript does not....." just hit yes and that should be it,
secondIE8.png
your new script is on your Favourites Bar.

Bookmark guide for Opera;
Firstly, when Opera is open, press F4 to open the "Panels" sidebar. Then click on the star, to see your bookmarks.
operascreen1.png

Now, click on "Add" (must click on the arrow next to it) then "New Bookmark" Click in the name box and name it appropriately. In the address box, copy and paste the script you will be using.
operascreen2.png

Finally, from the Panels sidebar, find your bookmark, and whilst holding shift, drag it to the bookmark's bar, and it should look something like this:
operascreen3.png

Then you're done!

And finally, I hope that this guide helps anyone who is unsure about scripts. Anything that you think I've missed out which should be included, or want extra help, feel free to pm me!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Thanks Crom, this will really help some people. I just found out about scripts recently myself, and they help alot.

DeletedUser562

Excellent the is a great help. I think having it on the forum in one place will help out a lot of people

+1

DeletedUser

Thanks all :)

Glad it's helped.

I'm going for saint status here, so there's plenty more where this came from :icon_wink:

Exams finishing soonish, so will have plenty of time to make this random shizzle!

DeletedUser14

If you could make a more specific non-PA guide, give a guide on how to use the bookmarks bar, and how to install scripts into the bookmark bar and then do one for different browsers. I think this would be helpful since it is harder for non-PA people to use scripts and so a guide for them would be very useful.

I would be willing to help you out on that one, we can make a joint effort and split the main browsers between us so we only have a couple to do each.
And perhaps add a few screen shots to this guide...

DeletedUser

I can do opera, as I have been doing that lately, and I get the jist of it..

DeletedUser

If you could make a more specific non-PA guide, give a guide on how to use the bookmarks bar, and how to install scripts into the bookmark bar and then do one for different browsers. I think this would be helpful since it is harder for non-PA people to use scripts and so a guide for them would be very useful.

I would be willing to help you out on that one, we can make a joint effort and split the main browsers between us so we only have a couple to do each.
And perhaps add a few screen shots to this guide...

It is all very hard to do without premium.

DeletedUser

Not really. I have been doing it for a couple days on .net, but only some scripts work. I am only using slowtargets SRE and k9burns SRE.

DeletedUser

Some screenies would be nice...

oh and add a few of the useful ingame links that don't appear on every page.

most people think they are scripts anyway...

and perhaps some linkys for further reading .. some of those "how to make the best use of premium" guides.

ingame links

{game} can be used in the quickbar as a short way of writing
http://uk1.tribalwars.co.uk/game.php?village={current village id} (and it works for sitters too)

so put the following in your quickbar for speedy navigation

Barracks : rename to Recruit : leave the image : {game}&screen=train
Stables : rename to Mass : leave the image : {game}&screen=train&mode=mass
Workshop : rename to Mass : leave the image : {mass recruit script... see the sticky}

Church : rename to Mint : {graphic}\res.png : {game}&village={id of a village with an academy}&screen=snob&mode=coin&from=-1&group={id of minting group}

have a look at the url of the [all] link on the minting page to find the ids

- create a link for each minting group

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

UPDATE:

Added in a guide for each main browser, IE, FF and Opera, showing how to install scripts onto the bookmark bar. Massive thanks to Fluffy88, who has made both the FF and IE ones. I shall be doing a guide for IE7, and Safari when I can get my hands on them! Stay tuned folks!

DeletedUser

UPDATE:

Added in a guide for each main browser, IE, FF and Opera, showing how to install scripts onto the bookmark bar. Massive thanks to Fluffy88, who has made both the FF and IE ones. I shall be doing a guide for IE7, and Safari when I can get my hands on them! Stay tuned folks!

Dang you Crom I needed that about a week ago ^^

DeletedUser

Ahh yes, but many scripts do not work as bookmarks, which is quite a deterrent, but it is better than having to pay early world when you may quit within the week.

DeletedUser

Thanks crom for this. I know how to use scripts but I am sure other people will like this.