W4 on Mobile

DeletedUser

So as we all probably know, the 6.0 update has been considerably big, and probably took a long time to make a mobile compatable version. I just thought I'd do a little review of it. I am using my trusty iTouch to browse this. The mobile version was made mainly to be compatable with iPod Touches, iPhones and Androids.

Interface

The interface is simple, but made to snap to your screen so that you don't have to scroll to the left or right. However scrolling takes much longer to get up and down the screen. An example of where this is a big annoyance is in the rankings. Take a look at this picture:

1cedfd89.jpg

Take a look at the amount of space each ranking takes up. Scrolling through 20 of these is a pain when simply wanting to search for a tribe or player. It would have been better to place the search boxes at the top. Also makes going through large threads a pain...

To make the screen less cluttered, they have simply moved the quick bar and the navigation obvions that run across the top of the screen into thrir own drop down menus.From these menus you can do the same as you would be able to normally, like visiting the rankings or your tribal forums. Pics:

3ebb7162.jpg
816b8d73.jpg

Pretty simple, unchanged navigation there.

In Game Forums

04e43c31.jpg

Straight to the topic with that picture. You can see that it is contained enough for me to fit it all in a sceenshot. If someone posts a large image then it won't do anything to the text or forum, just widen the screen. It is a pain scrolling through large threads, as stated before.

Overviews

Village- This is similar to the classic overview except the position of troop cout, movements, etc. Easy to navigate around.
5c730b21.jpg

Headquaters- A large page as each building takes a considerable amount of space, like in the rankings.
5c730b21.jpg

Recruit: Similarly to the HQ, each troop takes up a lot of room on the page, but is similar to the original, in just puting in a number and hitting go.
5c730b21.jpg

Rating: 6.5/10

Anyway, hope that helped :)

DeletedUser

I dropped my iPod into a bath... Just though I'd mention that... Otherwise, excellent review. :D

DeletedUser

Thanks. I re-read it and noticed it got a little lacklustre at the end but it's 1:30am and I'm so tired.

DeletedUser

I like, very nice review AU.

It must be good for TW peeps to see some feedback on their updates. ^^

DeletedUser

Very nice review mate, and agreed I was trying the mobile version for .co.uk W4 out earlier on my iphone and think it's fantastic!

I maintain a tribalwars blog, is that ok if I used your guide?

Obviously happy to credit you and link to this thread.

I like, very nice review AU.

It must be good for TW peeps to see some feedback on their updates. ^^

Agreed, and they certainly deserve a good wrap for all their hard work on version 6.0 :icon_biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser6616

I tested this out yesterday on my HTC Hero (running on Android) and it displays absolutely fine - a really good update to the code.

I notice there is a switch in the settings menu to switch to the mobile version - presumably this is in case the code doesn't pick up the fact you are on a mobile device. I didn't need this, but someone might, so just to point it out to people.

This is going to mean it will be that little bit harder to avoid TW at work now ::icon_biggrin:

DeletedUser

I notice there is a switch in the settings menu to switch to the mobile version - presumably this is in case the code doesn't pick up the fact you are on a mobile device. I didn't need this, but someone might, so just to point it out to people.

If it detects a known mobile user agent like safari on iphone, it'll automatically switch to the mobile version.

Agreed, I'd imagine it's there in case the site doesn't recognise a user agent, or you're running UAFixer or similar.

EDIT: do tw maintain a list of supported UAs for the new mobile version?

DeletedUser

I tried it on the iPhone unfortunately its still painfully slow. Don't think anything Innogames can do will help the situation the mobile 3G network is just so overloaded that unless they actually make an APP for TW then I doubt that it will ever be viable on a phone in the UK.

DeletedUser

I tried it on the iPhone unfortunately its still painfully slow. Don't think anything Innogames can do will help the situation the mobile 3G network is just so overloaded that unless they actually make an APP for TW then I doubt that it will ever be viable on a phone in the UK.

I found the same thing, but I'm hoping a 1 GHz snapdragon based Android phone will speed things up for me. :icon_razz:

The 3G networks in Australia are either rubbbish or horribly over priced, so yeah it definitely doesn't help.

DeletedUser

A good review and i have find it a lot better than having to repeatedly scroll up and to the left. I think creating an App for TW would be a good idea as it would speed up the amount of time it takes to load :)

DeletedUser

hmmm... i feel your pain with the scrolling, i think im getting the tennis elbow version on my thumb, and half of it is still in a completely different language i dont understand, but slowly starting to realise what it says.

having said that, its much easier to use