When to upgrade techs?

DeletedUser

I've not played a 10-tech world before. Quite frankly I don't see there being any improvement over simple tech, but maybe the nuances haven't shown themselves to me yet.

What I'd like to know is other people's takes on when to upgrade.

Mathematically, if cost were the only issue, it could be expressed this way:
Upgrades should be made when the cost of upgrading would be lower than the cost of increasing the number of that troop type by 5%.

However, if production queues are already busy or their is insufficient farm space, earlier upgrades may be wise. On the other hand, given that higher level troops are no better at hauling, it may be wise to delay upgrading (in favour of increasing troop numbers) for as long as farming is a higher priority than combat readiness.

So, what are your views?

It might be a little dodgy to give your current levels, but perhaps you can say what they were like at 1000 points, or what you expect them to be at by the time you take your second village.

DeletedUser4147

In my opinion it's more important to raise your DEFENSE tech levels earlier than your LC & Axe, even if you are 100% O. Because if you do come under attack and call in support, you will want to make sure that supports fights as well as possible.

Personally i would upgrade when you know your farming will keep queues constant, and so you can spare resources for upgrades. Once you near Nobles you'll want to up offense levels with the 'spare' income.

DeletedUser

I started to upgrade when i could keep all the queues running.

This is usually easier to do when you are upping the smithy because of the greater construction time.

DeletedUser

in a 10 tech world i personally think hc are very important for both att and def villas, rather than lc

DeletedUser9188

in a 10 tech world i personally think hc are very important for both att and def villas, rather than lc

HC for offense cause excessive resource waste.
OT: Maybe someone else can shed more light on this....

Clueless me.

DeletedUser

if your in a 10 tech world every village needs high techs in def, like spear and HC. then you only have to get high techs for axes and rams in off villas.

HC nukes are not as effective as LC nukes but your def is far better as every village can defend any village with having HC in there.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser7369

i think that Onetruth is getting at the following point,

at some point the additional attack points gained by spending x amount of resources on additional axes becomes less than the additional attack points gained by spending that same amount on upgrading the level of the existing axes.

am i right? if i am i did a spreadsheet for axes lc and archers....

Nauzhror

Reaction score
HC nukes are not as effective as LC nukes but your def is far better as every village can defend any village with having HC in there.

And your point is?

Research both in offense villages, it's really that simple.

DeletedUser

i was thinking of w3.....only a certain tech limit, i forgot you could do all in this world :lol:

Nauzhror

Reaction score
i was thinking of w3.....only a certain tech limit, i forgot you could do all in this world :lol:

Ahh, yeah, you can max everything in 10-tech, expensive to do so early-world, but a non-issue in late game when res is abundant.

DeletedUser

Flawed theory.

His understanding (or expression) of the theory may be flawed but the theory itself isn't as you should well know by now, the stack bonus given in clusters with HC+axe oriented nukes allows you to go at O:D village ratios far higher toward the offensive and still be capable of defending oneself.

As for the original question, you stated mathematically when you should upgrade, if your ques are long enough for your liking or you are farm locked and need to spend resources teching up would be advisable. As for the ques - it really does depend on your income, the ques need to be run 24/7 it doesn't matter whether you que 1000 axes (for example) or just add 50 every odd hour.

This is not anything difficult or one that requires any in depth discussion, I fail to see why you needed to see people views on it, it's just common sense :icon_neutral:

DeletedUser

As for the original question, you stated mathematically when you should upgrade, if your ques are long enough for your liking or you are farm locked and need to spend resources teching up would be advisable. As for the ques - it really does depend on your income, the ques need to be run 24/7 it doesn't matter whether you que 1000 axes (for example) or just add 50 every odd hour.

This is not anything difficult or one that requires any in depth discussion, I fail to see why you needed to see people views on it, it's just common sense :icon_neutral:

Since starting this world I have not come close to running my queues 24/7, so for me it is an issue. If I had more money than I could spend I would be constantly researching, but as it happens my hq is idle a lot of the time. Researching means that I can build fewer troops overnight, so it is not as straight forward as you suggest.

DeletedUser5774

I'd upgrade everything on the Smithy, and then depending on the type of village, give an extra level to Axemen or LC for offensive.

If I know the village is going to be pure defensive, then I'll only upgrade defensive units, and then depending on the type of defensive village it will be, depends on the unit I'll upgrade the most.

DeletedUser

His understanding (or expression) of the theory may be flawed but the theory itself isn't as you should well know by now, the stack bonus given in clusters with HC+axe oriented nukes allows you to go at O:D village ratios far higher toward the offensive and still be capable of defending oneself.
You wouldnt need to go higher O ratio if you play properly and have good nukes(ie any nuke with hc in it is a bad nuke).. And the higher the ratio of D:O the higher the defensive advantage you gain by not using hc...

Also you immobilize your offense when you defend. Other than that I can see where you're coming from.

it may be wise to delay upgrading (in favour of increasing troop numbers) for as long as farming is a higher priority than combat readiness.
If upgrading your troop levels effects your troop numbers you screwed something up:icon_confused:

DeletedUser7369

If upgrading your troop levels effects your troop numbers you screwed something up:icon_confused:

I think the confused icon is right. The point being made is that if you have a limited amount of resources and you are choosing between spending them on troops, or spending them on upgrading tech, then you should go for troops until such time as farming is less significant than being ready for combat. This is because more troops = more farming, stronger troops does not = more farming.

DeletedUser

My main .net world is a 10 tech world and i started upgrading them once our tribe came close to war, considering i had a very decent starting area with plenty of farms.. i would say it depends on situation, if you're getting plenty of hauls you may wish to upgrade them earlier than your suggested full queue/farm limit idea.