Why do noobs bother?

DeletedUser

With regards to the previous post, to cherubim, TuToR was indeed set up to teach, however we can't resist having a laugh at noobish tactics. Had Locutas been 90% D, then we could symphatise, however it is highly unlikely that is the case (though I am more than happy to withdraw what I said, if he proves he is 90% D startup).

Reverend Revelry, as with all guides, players must learn how to adapt guides to their local surroundings. This is why guides fail imo, they are good in a "basic" sense, but they fail to deliver on adaptations at startup. I realised this on this very world how adaptation is significant, and this cannot really be written as a guide, its more a matter of experience. An example would be increasing your mines and reducing your troopcount in early startup, if you do not have any barbs around you to farm (for the record, I'm not doubting you know this already hehe).

Post-LC startup, its all about activity and effective farming, by blanket farming and usage of the Battle Report Evaluator (BRE). This requires premium (or alternatively, you can use it as a bookmark I think, never tried it myself). There is a certain element of luck involved with regards to decent farms and competition in your area.

And tbh, no guide can tell you what target to take when considering your first ennoblement.

If you are doing a 90% D strategy for startup (like Tyranny on UK7), then nobling a barb is permissable as you do not have the offence to take a larger target.
But in most other circumstances, it would be better to take a larger target (as most larger targets are offensive anyway) and thus gain more in points, higher troop production and whatnot.
A weakness that Locutas has allowed himself to take; nobling such a weak target despite having the offence to clear better ones (at least I hope he has offence, unless he's either an epic pointwhore (noob), or he's a 90% D startup (unlikely, but then at least his conquer would be understandable).

As for Ruffus' statement, I'm more than happy to answer mails (given due time) regarding teaching... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser5942

Thank you Adellion - I appreciate that the urge to laugh at noobish tactics is one which is hard to resist but, if there are those (such as myself) who are willing to learn and take your, let us say, opinions on the chin and deal with them, surely there shouold be some respect due to those who stick it out? I for one want to have a good crack at this game...

DeletedUser

Ok you all need to calm down, if you are upset with nemesis talk to tharg do not bring it to the forums.

BACK TO TOPIC

mmm I understand where hes comming from but Idk why he would noble a wood bonus. Maybe because he is wanting to go archer or spear heavy? Makes sense in a way yet in another way it dosen't..
If I was him honestly I would have wait for atleast 2 nobles and take the player to the south of him.

But hey everyone has there own ideas, that's what makes us diffrent. Lets see how he builds it up, I'm sure if he builds it up correctly it will be a verygood 2nd village.

DeletedUser857

[gfx]I just want to say, cherubim, that I love your attitude. If Adellion is able to find a place for you in TuToR, I, and many others i'm sure, would be more than happy to teach you.

As for the noble choice, a smaller target perhaps than I would noble myself, but we've all nobled a barb to get the milestone once or twice ;)[/gfx]

DeletedUser3312

Ok you all need to calm down, if you are upset with nemesis talk to tharg do not bring it to the forums.
Goodluck with that :/

BACK TO TOPIC

mmm I understand where hes comming from but Idk why he would noble a wood bonus. Maybe because he is wanting to go archer or spear heavy? Makes sense in a way yet in another way it dosen't..
If I was him honestly I would have wait for atleast 2 nobles and take the player to the south of him.

But hey everyone has there own ideas, that's what makes us diffrent. Lets see how he builds it up, I'm sure if he builds it up correctly it will be a verygood 2nd village.

Meh, a bonus vill is always good at start-up. Now he doesn't need to worry about wood :)

AMIRITE?

DeletedUser

Thank you Frank for your reply. I would love to be taught how to play this game properly. Competitively. However, having read forums, you experienced players are very intimidating and quite... well... unwelcoming. So I guess I should take my chances?

This couldn't be further from the truth: as a general rule; as long as you retain good literacy skills and are not a complete moron there will be little reason to flame you :)

DeletedUser5942

This couldn't be further from the truth: as a general rule; as long as you retain good literacy skills and are not a complete moron there will be little reason to flame you :)

Thank you Col. .. Sir. I hope I'm not being a complete noob by showing you all some respect

DeletedUser

If you have problems with the way I moderate the forums, please feel free to PM Thargoran or any elder moderator with your concerns. Please don't discuss these issues on the forums, as it will lead to infractions being given out (not by me), which I would rather avoid happening.

DeletedUser

Thank you Col. .. Sir. I hope I'm not being a complete noob by showing you all some respect

As long as your being a newb and not a n00b :)

A newb is someone who has inabilities and wishes to learn,

A n00b is someone who has inabilities and yet remains adamant they are '1337'

DeletedUser5942

[gfx]I just want to say, cherubim, that I love your attitude. If Adellion is able to find a place for you in TuToR, I, and many others i'm sure, would be more than happy to teach you.[/gfx]
#

Thank you

As long as your being a newb and not a n00b :)

A newb is someone who has inabilities and wishes to learn,

A n00b is someone who has inabilities and yet remains adamant they are '1337'

I've been on various worlds and been an epic fail on all - I wanted to find someone to take the time to teach me.. I failed. Hopefully this time I'll find someone who will help me learn... Hopefully that makes me a Newb - References available upon request!! ;o)

DeletedUser

With regards to ... :)

If I reply to this am I going off topic or am I still on topic?

ie The topic is "Why do noobs bother?" and therefore there is surely relevance to showing them the error of there ways and fully discussing that no?

Whereas if the topic had specifically been "why wood you bother?" ... well it sort of pin points the whole discussion on this nobling of a wood bonus villa.

Sorry to cause confusion or what not but just hoping not to get my hands wrapped for something so trivia :icon_rolleyes:

DeletedUser

ie The topic is "Why do noobs bother?" and therefore there is surely relevance to showing them the error of there ways and fully discussing that no?

Whereas if the topic had specifically been "why wood you bother?" ... well it sort of pin points the whole discussion on this nobling of a wood bonus villa.

Sorry to cause confusion or what not but just hoping not to get my hands wrapped for something so trivia :icon_rolleyes:

Epic pun win.

We should all use puns more ofen :)

DeletedUser

this thread has evolved, and I will be happy to let it go along the lines it is now.

DeletedUser

With regards to ... :)

I fully realise that everyone should interpret guides as just that. A simple guide of how to. In the specific instance of Nauz's start-up guide its basically to get you on your feet. Takes you to the point of (I think, 5/2/1 on the mine levels and your producing spears at will).

This guide introduced me to Tribal Wars and I've obviously built on to that with my own interpretations of what should be done / not done.

But the point I was trying to make was that Nauz has rightly pointed out that the players on UK7 are WAY behind that of a similar world that started on .net (excluding the top two players of course) ... so now that we've all found out that we're pretty pure at the whole start up thing how can we get better or improve?

Simple by throwing idea's around and batting it out (couldn't resist for all you cricket lovers). Its evident that we're all noobs so lets all try to improve. I'm just hoping Nauz can highlight our errors :D

Anyway back to Ade, yeah the point to those being lucky enough to have a mountain of barbs near them will certainly have an impact on their initial resource requirements ... but when is a good time to start up'ing these even if you have created a load of barbs that you're farming for good benefit? Speaking of which ... when's the best time to start creating you're local farms? Should you be fighting for the barb scraps for a good few weeks till everyone's upto about 3-500 points or more and then go on a clearing spree or is it best to just try and pick them off every other day, or actually is it best to just leave them to it and accept that your barb runs will be slightly lower depending on when you log in :D
So you've now got LC and we're now suggesting that you farm with 2 LC to pick up a max of 160 resources ... fair enough, but when do you start thinking that the risk reward is a bit too great? Barbs upto about 100 points / 200 points?
So I raced to get to rams so I could take down the walls that my lc kept running into ... is this a bad thing or should I have saved the resources to build more LC so I didn't need to worry about the walls?
These sorts of questions I'm sure go through many a noob's head at the early part of the game. Actually I'd say a "rough and ready guide" taking you to the point of noble would be great for all of us (except the leading two of course) ... we are after all learning the hard way.

DeletedUser6695

Tbh I'd say it's hard to write a general guide seeing as world settings vary so much, but I can see where your coming from Rev

DeletedUser

Tbh I'd say it's hard to write a general guide seeing as world settings vary so much, but I can see where your coming from Rev

World speeds may vary somewhat, and obviously barb growth will vary aswell. But as a start up guide to noble level ... well be it a church / non-church world will have no effect. Likewise archer's or no archers ... very little effect.

Now settings being defensive / offensive strategy from the off ... then yes that wood have another major effect :lol:

DeletedUser1511

1. These are the external forums. Impressions aren't quite what they seem. Only a superficial person judges wholly on external forum persona.
2. In order to join TuToR, there is a minimum expectation required from our new recruits anyway.
3. Taking your chances will lead to defeat. Sure, you might *survive* till late-game... but you won't "win". I define winning as being rank 1 (or at least a very big player) and being in the larger and more powerful tribes (e.g. TuToR atm).
3. Also, your ability to handle flack from intimidating players may be a subtle test in disguise. Who knows?

Just want to adress point 3. Anyone who defines "winning" on tribalwars as being rank 1 rank 2 or rank 3 has already lost:icon_neutral:
And being in larger and more powerful tribes doesnt mean jack all. How many high rank tribes have been smacked by tribes smalll in both member and villages.
But yeah if you get some kick out of being big and powerful then good for you but that doesnt mean people should even aim for rank 1.

I mean granted i cant see how much fun this game is if you dont try to be competitive, but aiming to win on tw is flat out dumb.

DeletedUser

Just want to adress point 3. Anyone who defines "winning" on tribalwars as being rank 1 rank 2 or rank 3 has already lost:icon_neutral:
And being in larger and more powerful tribes doesnt mean jack all. How many high rank tribes have been smacked by tribes smalll in both member and villages.
But yeah if you get some kick out of being big and powerful then good for you but that doesnt mean people should even aim for rank 1.

I mean granted i cant see how much fun this game is if you dont try to be competitive, but aiming to win on tw is flat out dumb.

I enjoy winning by being the best. That does not mean I will always achieve that, but I try my best. I do gain pleasure from leading the best tribes and whatnot... and Wardy, over time, the best tribes end up being rank 1. Of the worlds I know:

UK1 - W1N
UK4 - Bi!
UK6 - Gold
UK7 - TuToR

The best tribe on UK7 atm is TuToR, as shown by the skill of some of the players in the same tribe. G~T is a close 2nd (imo, not having a dig at G~T here).

And if you are *not* competitive at TW, at one point you will be destroyed by those who are more competitive (and therefore bigger and more driven and active).