Sniping 101

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

This strategy is probably the most useful in the long run since it allows you to keep your villages. If used properly it can allow you to hold out in enemy territory for long enough to get a decent amount of support there by a while.

Sivvy thinks he is all big and bad picking on little ole chuckles. Say I have support incoming but it is 80 hours away. Say support isn't coming at all. I know that I can't stand against his full force, plus backtiming is out of the window since he may have good def numbers in his villages. Well I need a way to buy myself time and cost the other guy as much resources as possible. How do I do this? By killing his nobles repeatedly. Sniping is used when the enemy is sending a grouping of 4 nobles or a noble train. If lucky, the enemy will not be a very experienced player and have seconds between each noble instead of MS. In any case, it is very easy to defend against a noble train with seconds separating the nobles landing. You just got to move your troops around, and get in the window the enemy is leaving open with the gap.

To do this you have multiple options. First if you already have def in the village, all you have to do is move the defence out before the nuke lands, then cancel the command you made with your troops to where they will make it back before at least the last noble lands. Depending on how much time you have before the attacks land and depending on the distance between your villages, you can also snipe nobles with other troops villages, again not that hard when the enemy gives you a huge window of a few seconds between each noble.

However what if the enemy is a bit better? What if you see something like this for incomings coming at noble speed?

Jul 29, 2009 17:22:22:467
Jul 29, 2009 17:22:22:497
Jul 29, 2009 17:22:22:557
Jul 29, 2009 17:22:22:583

That is a train that chuckles sent the other day. It is easily copied and improved in terms of speed by many players. (Chuckle's little fingers can only go that fast.) :( Anyway what if you see that incoming to one of your villages? Well this is where it gets tricky. A lot of it will be based on luck server side with latency and what not. That, however does not mean it is all based on luck. You can do many things to help you in sniping a MS train like that. In the best case scenario you will have at least a few opportunities to snipe.

Chance 1: (Outside support troops) This is if you have multiple villages and at least one of those villages have some sort of def numbers adequate enough to kill a noble and some off units. (Minor thing I have noticed most players if they send ms trains, they will have most of their offense be at the forefront of the attack then the next 3 waves will be severely lacking in troops. That is not always a guarantee, but is usually true.) Ok now back to your village with the def. There are multiple ways you can do this. In the past I have usually used trains of my own to counter trains of an enemy. That means, just like setting up noble trains you will set up a support train made up of the defensive troops in your village, I normally make the 2nd and 3rd part of the train more support heavy as I find they are more likely to get in between the train.

To start off with, with your first support train attempt make sure you send cats in each one so you have more chances to mess up, the next one the slowest unit can be swords, the next the slowest can be spears and finally if you mess up all of them you can then try a HC train. Do not misunderstand me by thinking I mean send these units on their own, I mean say the first support train would be like: (Based on a small amount of cats 1k HC, 6/3/5 spears/swords/archers ratio)

Support: 165 HC, 1000 spears, 500 swords, 833 archers, 1 or 2 cats
Support: 330 HC, 2000 spears, 1000 swords, 1666 archers, 2 or 4 cats
Support: 330 HC, 2000 spears, 1000 swords, 1666 archers, 2 or 4 cats
Support: 165 HC, 2000 spears, 1000 swords, 1666 archers, 1 or 2 cats

If this support train was messed up and didn’t manage to snipe, you can cancel it and then send the same support train later minus the cats etc. if need be.

The reason I list these individually is because it is better to have multiple chances on tight trains that land in less then 1 second. With multiple troop speed you have 3 chances per village. That sometimes can mean the difference between keeping your village and losing it to the enemy. Besides it is better to get a small number of troops in-between a train then miss the timing with a large number of troops. You miss the timing with that one large group, well you’re boned.

Chance 2: (Village under attacks, troops) This may or may not be your first chance depending on whether you have another village or if you just can't your troops to help you in time from your other villages. Either way it is clutch time. There are multiple ways you can at least attempt to snipe when you are down to your village that is getting attacked. The first way is letting the timing work out itself. If you still have a while before the incoming lands, and have a village close to you that you know is clear such as a small barb, you can launch your troops at that village to try and get them to land back home during the train. Not the easiest thing to do by far, but a method that is possible none the less. You just have to work on the timing. Also you can send your troops as support to a nearby village and withdraw it around half a second to a second before you should (accounting for lag and computer speed and internet connection, I’d always withdraw a tinsy bit before it hits the exact number you should withdraw on) to land exactly back in-between a train (I believe if you withdraw troops they always land back at 000ms so this is a viable option if the train is split across the second).

Sometimes it is just trial and error so if at first you don't succeed, just keep trying.

Another way to try and spilt an incoming train when you can only use your village under attack troops' is by sending off the troops through an attack or support command and just cancelling them at the right time. Again using multiple troop types with varying speed is also a very good method. I want to emphasize, it is better to get a smaller number of troops in a ms gap then miss with a larger group of troops. Now to get the correct timing of when to cancel is very hard, what I usually do is watch the train come towards and when it hits about 1:30 in minutes to come I look at the time at the exact same time and add 30 seconds, I get onto the okay screen and wait for the 30 seconds to pass and send them off just before the exact second hits. This leaves 30 seconds before you should cancel, but in fact I find I cancel on the 29th second, due to lag and the ms of the attack coming back is the same as going out, so it normally works this way. Of course you do not have to believe it to such a late time as 1:30 minutes until the incoming hits, you can try this several times from 10:30 minutes all the way down to hardly any seconds if you time right, but if your going for multiple attempts your defences will be smaller that will be snipe, but as previously said, it doesnt matter as long as it kills the nobles, noble trains tend to only have about 50lc and a noble with the last 3 attacks, so it should be okay.

Credit mainly to Chuckles (chucklefang), with improvements suggested by Cheesasaurus and edited together by BusinessTime (Martin) with some extra’s added by me too, I hope this helps!

DeletedUser

Looking good. But don't tell the nubs everything! I'm starting to get worried. People will start sniping my trains, and that is Not Good!
Anyway, Realy good guide, well layed out, nicely presented and an easy read.

DeletedUser

BT please delete, ur making it harder for those in the know :p

DeletedUser

Yeah.. I'll add my two cents and stuff I know :)

1. Stacking is always better.. if you have chance :)

2. Support Trains are hell to get right. The amount of times I've sent a support train, and had them all send like.. 10 seconds after I click the button, due to lag or some other reason, is insane >.<. Single snipes might be easier to work out.

Also.. in a train, you might split up your defence too thin, and snipe it.. only to get wiped out anyway and still lose the vill.

3. Build a axe/spear, a sword, a HC, a LC, and a Ram/Cat in every vill. Offensive or Defensive. Anything to give yourself more shots at sniping.

4. Know your lag (The "generated in 41ms" at the bottom right corner).

Anyone think of anything else?

DeletedUser

support trains are easy to work, much easier in sniping than single snipe, also when u get one support train in, keep going to try and get as many of ur remaining troops to snipe by using just hc or just spear or with pala

my three cents

DeletedUser

Hmm.. I probably spread my support trains into too many different supports..

Whats the limit for the amount you can send? Is it the same as attacks?

DeletedUser

4. Know your lag (The "generated in 41ms" at the bottom right corner).

I'm pretty sure, that is just the time it took for the server to generate the page. Although I agree, you should know your lag if you hope to time support in ;)

ps the limit for rally point commands is 5 each second

DeletedUser

Yeah.. time it took for the server to recognize that you sent the support. (and generate the page after that)

At least.. i think? >.<

DeletedUser

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lag

when I say, "lag," I'm talking about the overall delay; the time it takes your computer to process, send the packets, for the packets to get to the server, and for the server to process them.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The generated thing seems to be the latency then, so it's still important :icon_razz:

DeletedUser

the server creates pages with php. The time it takes to do this is the number displayed down at the bottom right (I'm 99% sure on this). So the "generated in x ms" is more an indication of how busy the server is. (not neccesarily the time it will take to process the command, though)

DeletedUser

I reckon it is.. Normally whenever I hit a laggy page, that value goes through the roof...

DeletedUser904

I don't have to snipe because no one is stupid enougth to send nobles at me.

DeletedUser

Personally I use 5 waves in the support trains. Thinning the troops too much isn't really as much of a problem as it at first seems, since the troops that don't make it in on time can be cancelled and resent later at a different troop speed.

Also, its 4 chances per village, not 3. You even listed the 4 troop speeds :p

Another tip is to have 5sw/hc/cats in O vils as well so that if you have to resort to sniping with lc, you get multiple tries at ram/cat, sword, axe, hc and lc speed simply by accompanying each wave of lc with a single unit of the appropriate type.

DeletedUser

Heres another version, with pictures.

-Hobgoblin- said:
Todays Lesson: Splitting a train.

Note: I will be using light cavalry as the train, they will act as the Noblemen. I will also be using scout / light cavalry as the support, they will act as what you would send to split the train.

So I've decided I'll go straight into the splitting of a noble train. You all have a lot of potential, and I see no point in making dodging a lesson of the day just yet. It will be posted in it's own thread later, but not as a lesson of the day.

Firstly, we must look at what is splitting. To know that, you must know what a train is. A noble train is a string of four or five nobles in a short time-span. To split a train means to get support in between the noble train. This means that somewhere between the first and last noble you are trying to land support. Here is an example of what would be an average noble train:

GUIDE2.jpg

As you can see, it's 500 milliseconds from start to finish. Most players will only be able to send betwen 1-3 seconds at the fastest for a noble train, but against good players you will come up against this or better. I'll explain how to send a noble train such as this in another lesson.

Anyway, on to the splitting. Now you have your noble train incoming and most people think "Panic!" and when that happens, you've already lost. You have to keep your cool at all times. So, you notice the noble train incoming:

GUIDE1.jpg

Your next thing to do is think about it. People who noble tend to have a large offense with them, so standing and defending would be pointless. Dodging would also be pointless as they'll just take your village - so you decide to split the train. Now, how do you go about this? Well, it's quite simple really.

You look at your village and check - do you have more than one village? If you do, you go to that village and try to support your own village. You notice something like this:

GUIDE3.jpg

Now, by looking at that you notice your support arrives early. So what do you have to do? You have to wait, be patient, and wait until the time is right to send. My advice to you would be once it gets to five minutes before you have to send the noble to split the train, to watch the clock tick down to make sure you don't miss it.

So, the time passes and you get ready to send your support to split the train. What you are aiming to do is get it between the first and fourth noble. Usually, people send their nukes (offensive attack) with their first noble, so the second/third/fourth noble to be split is fine.

So you line it up and get it ready to go. You must use Opera as your broswer for this. You open another window in the background and send support from the village to your village under attack. It will look like this:

GUIDE4.jpg

And now you wait and wait until the clock reaches the correct time to send. Once it's the right time to send it, you click OK on the support window as quickly as possible. If you have split the train successfully, your support should land between the first and last noble. Here's how it turned out for me:

GUIDE5.jpg

That just about covers it. If any of you want any practice, let me know and I'll send a 500-750 millisecond train at you. This will be composed of 1 LC or 1 scout each to help you out. It will then provide you with practice at splitting a train to see if you understand it.

This is the way to split a train. Dodging is different and is what is used when you only have one village. It will be explained later. However, it is usually unlikely for you to be nobled at one one village at this stage, as you are all so close to nobles.

If you have any questions regarding this, post them here and I'll explain.

-Hob

Status
Not open for further replies.