Extra-terrestrials or other life forms

• Thread starter Poetic Watermellon
  • Start date

DeletedUser

Do you think they are real, and what are your thought on the subject.

(I have always wanted to know what other people think about it. :p)

(I had more about the subject to tell but I forgot when I had gone to get a coffee. :icon_sad:)

DeletedUser

There really isn't a whole lot of physical evidence either way, so I really am not sure on this one...

DeletedUser2765

I'll keep my encounter with UFO's to this statement, I'd prefer not to look like a loon. :icon_razz: And of course they exist.

DeletedUser

I believe there is life in the universe besides us. To me, the universe is just too vast for it to be devoid of any other life.

Whether we have been visited by aliens is another question... (but since you ask, no, they haven't visited. Yet. :icon_wink:)

DeletedUser

I'll keep my encounter with UFO's to this statement, I'd prefer not to look like a loon. :icon_razz: And of course they exist.

It's too late for that :lol: ( only jkn )

but you gotta share now ..... :p

<3

DeletedUser

I agree with adam1503. We are merely a grain of sand in the ocean. There is a very high chance of there being other life forms in the universe, perhaps not intelligent, but there are almost definetly other life forms.

Now, whether there are intelligent life forms and they have visited us is another question. I do beleive there are intelligent life forms somewhere in the universe but I'm not convinced that they would have the technology to travel light years, let alone whole galaxies. Although things could be completely different on another 'intelligent' planet.

I do beleive in the parallel universe theory though, I don't know much about it but basically it is thought that there are other universes parallel to ours and that there could be replicas of ourselves there.

Some light parallel universe reading.

DeletedUser

We are merely a grain of sand in the ocean. There is a very high chance of there being other life forms in the universe, perhaps not intelligent, but there are almost definetly other life forms.

Many scientists believe the chance of their being any planet in the entire universe capable of hosting life are something phenomenally small, like 10 planets in the universe. To put it into perspective, there are more planets in the universe than grains of sand on earth.

Personally I don't really have an opinion. I would be saddened if we found no life whatsoever, I think it would be disappointing to have no neighbours!

DeletedUser

We are merely a grain of sand in the ocean. There is a very high chance of there being other life forms in the universe, perhaps not intelligent, but there are almost definetly other life forms.

Now, whether there are intelligent life forms and they have visited us is another question. I do beleive there are intelligent life forms somewhere in the universe but I'm not convinced that they would have the technology to travel light years, let alone whole galaxies. Although things could be completely different on another 'intelligent' planet.

I agree - I also think it's definetly possible that their are 'aliens' which could be watching us. Remember in the way of the universe... we're new.... we are on the outskirts so imagine how we're doing with space travel.. now imagine a planet which was the first to have intelligent life.. now it's millions of years later how are they doing? :icon_razz:

DeletedUser3345

I think that there are some E.T.s out there. I don't read a lot about it but I would say odds are that there are many planets out there with other life forms that which in the future we might come in contact with.

Now I hope I am not going off-topic with this, but if I am sorry (it deals with E.T.s so I don't think I am). Anyways, I have always wondered why that, in all the movies and books and such, why everyone talks as if some other 'intelligent' life form will visit us first. It always seems that people think that other life forms will discover us on Earth and not the other way around. We have advanced greatly in space exploration so who is to say we won't find other 'intelligent' life forms before they find us? (I know that our space programs are no where near to getting us to a planet with other 'intelligent' life forms so I don't expect this any time soon just something I was wondering).

DeletedUser2765

Simply put ECP, the human race is 200,000 years old. The universe is billions of years old. We are quite a ways away from being able to feasibly travel across solar systems, let alone galaxies. Yet an intelligent race that is even 300,000 years older then ourselves, will be 100,000 years more technologically advanced. Therefor they would likely visit us first.

And to answer your question more directly, we (humans) are afraid of the unknown. Space was and still is largely unknown to us, so naturally, we prey upon our own fears by creating stories / movies about aliens coming to visit us to destroy us or w.e.. We are a very self-centered species.

DeletedUser

we (humans) are afraid of the unknown. Space was and still is largely unknown to us, so naturally, we prey upon our own fears by creating stories / movies about aliens coming to visit us to destroy us or w.e.. We are a very self-centered species.

I like this. It is very true, our species very rarely travels into the unknown, we like to know as much as possible before we even contemplate exploring. I also like to think we are a very young species and I beleive there just has to atleast one other intelligent life form in the universe.

Like Krieg said, a species which is only 100,000 years older than us already has 100,000 extra years of technological advancement. And think what we have achieved technologicaly over just the last 2000 years. Now multiply that by 50, it is just staggering to think the technology that some other life forms may posses.

DeletedUser

I like this. It is very true, our species very rarely travels into the unknown, we like to know as much as possible before we even contemplate exploring. I also like to think we are a very young species and I beleive there just has to atleast one other intelligent life form in the universe.

Like Krieg said, a species which is only 100,000 years older than us already has 100,000 extra years of technological advancement. And think what we have achieved technologicaly over just the last 2000 years. Now multiply that by 50, it is just staggering to think the technology that some other life forms may posses.

Actually you'd be better off multiplying it by something like 2^50... the growth of technology isn't linear, it's exponential. Infact, even the acceleration of our technological growth is exponential, according to this article by Ray Kurzweil (that article is very long, I only scanned the first few paragraphs).

So by that logic a race which is perhaps only 1 or 2 millenia ahead of us might have the ability to traverse the stars...

DeletedUser2765

We've become more technologically advanced in the past 50 years, then in the 2,000 years before it. Just like we've become more technologically advanced in the past 2,000 years then in the 200,000 years before that. Multiply our last 50 years by 50,000 and you'd have an accurate prediction of what our technology would be 100,000 years from now. So using that, you can only imagine what another species technology is like if they were 100,000 years more advanced then us.

So by that logic a race which is perhaps only 1 or 2 millenia ahead of us might have the ability to traverse the stars...

Aye.

Edit: Dangit adam, you just said what I said! Except yours is scientificy and mine isn't. :icon_razz:

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

sorry to be mr skeptic, but how do we know that other E.T's have bodies made of cells? how do we know that infact the wind is an alien that visited our planet years ago?
We do not know anything, we may have been visited, and ignored.
We won't know yet, i shall find out though :)

DeletedUser

sorry to be mr skeptic, but how do we know that other E.T's have bodies made of cells? how do we know that infact the wind is an alien that visited our planet years ago?
We do not know anything, we may have been visited, and ignored.
We won't know yet, i shall find out though :)

For a life form to be classed as a life form it has to have a cell. The wind could never be classed as anything along these lines.

Also, hit me up when you find out. :icon_biggrin:

DeletedUser

For a life form to be classed as a life form it has to have a cell. The wind could never be classed as anything along these lines.

Also, hit me up when you find out. :icon_biggrin:

yes but who are we to say WHAT a life form is, they say cows would picture god as a cow. we think life forms must have a cell. maybe conditions in another galaxy mean cellular life forms cannot exist. maybe we shall evolve into non-cellular life forms. who knows?