EMA

DeletedUser

It's under review in Northern Ireland? :( Atleast its still there... And hopefully will be in 2 years :D

I think it's the biggest pile of shite! Incomes are being lowered as the cost of living increases - although still in Secondary school I had planned my next step, which would cost me. That money would rely on the EMA, either that or I'd have to take a train every morning and night and then walk a possible 6+ miles :O

DeletedUser613

they are just replacing it with something that basically targets the people who need it the most. cuts is cuts.

DeletedUser3312

EMA is stupid anyway. Get rid of it.

Dun like what I said?
GET A JOB

DeletedUser

EMA is stupid anyway. Get rid of it.

Dun like what I said?
GET A JOB

That's an extremely ignorant point of view. They could get a job but they'd also have to pay for travel (and it's not bloody cheap!), certain books (neither are these!) and other necessities. Then what about food, rent etc.? Jobs are becoming harder and harder to get especially for younger people and even if they could get a job it could only be part-time and they'd have to keep up with there education while doing this.

DeletedUser3312

That's an extremely ignorant point of view. They could get a job but they'd also have to pay for travel (and it's not bloody cheap!), certain books (neither are these!) and other necessities. Then what about food, rent etc.? Jobs are becoming harder and harder to get especially for younger people and even if they could get a job it could only be part-time and they'd have to keep up with there education while doing this.

Do you simply have no idea what you're talking about? :icon_rolleyes:

Part-time jobs are extremely easy to come by, people are just too lazy too look for one. As for travel, lolwut? Maybe it's hard for people who live in the middle of a field, but your new job can pay for a bus fair.

How much exactly do you think you get from EMA? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser613

30 quid a week only needs like 6 or 7 hours of work a week, roughly.

DeletedUser

What are you, a muppet? :icon_neutral:
Or do you simply have no idea what you're talking about? :icon_rolleyes:

Part-time jobs are extremely easy to come by, people are just too lazy too look for one. As for travel, lolwut? Maybe it's hard for people who live in the middle of a field, but your new job can pay for a bus fair.

How much exactly do you think you get from EMA? :lol:

I have to agree with Radarr you are very ignorant on these matters.

Part time jobs are NOT extremely easy to come by, maybe where you live the recession hasn't hit - but where I am you can be actively searching for months and not get any replies, that is not uncommon.

EMA is vital for some of my mates who come by train to college, they can afford meals etc.. but do you have any idea how much a train ticket costs? To and from College, every day. It would be unrealistic to expect them to pay for that without any subsidies.

30 quid a week only needs like 6 or 7 hours of work a week, roughly.

Trouble isn't the time, but where to get a job - and get a job which will fit around College hours.

DeletedUser613

Part time jobs are NOT extremely easy to come by, maybe where you live the recession hasn't hit - but where I am you can be actively searching for months and not get any replies, that is not uncommon.

EMA is vital for some of my mates who come by train to college, they can afford meals etc.. but do you have any idea how much a train ticket costs? To and from College, every day. It would be unrealistic to expect them to pay for that without any subsidies.

Trouble isn't the time, but where to get a job - and get a job which will fit around College hours.

It depends where you are, but a lot of people simply don't look for part time jobs, as they have EMA to cover them anyway. Not saying all do. Fit around college hours..a job at the weekend or o some weeknights should be too hard.

DeletedUser269

I wouldn’t say every unemployed person with the UK is lazy, and if part time jobs are so easy to get then there wouldn’t be as many unemployed.

There again I don’t agree with the way the EMA system was ran.

DeletedUser3312

Okay lets look at some earlier points made:
£30 a week does not pay for:

• Rent
  • Travel
  • Food
  • Anything else you deem vital
It certainly cannot pay for ALL these things, if you're considering to argue one or two...

And that's the MAXIMUM.

What's £10 a week for?
I see it as beer money. Lil spends for clothes, make-up... You like looking good? :icon_wink:

Now we're onto part-time jobs

Okay lets down some simple facts:
  • Most teens do not bother looking for part-time jobs
  • Part time jobs are not professional jobs
  • Part time jobs can be found nearly everywhere

Now what you may not know is, employers recognize students work during the week. So what you commonly find is weekend jobs. Still with me? Though what you probably don't know is that the supermarkets (Like ASDA) offer working hours during half-terms (Like the 6-week holidays). Though apparently, a lot of people do not live near town centers.

So lets look at farming:
  • You need to be at least 16
  • You need to have a pair of legs
  • You need to be able to communicate

No difference? Yes I know.

Employers are not looking for full-time workers over the age of 21 because that means they have to pay them more money. With teenagers, they can pay us less.

DeletedUser

It depends where you are, but a lot of people simply don't look for part time jobs, as they have EMA to cover them anyway. Not saying all do. Fit around college hours..a job at the weekend or o some weeknights should be too hard.

And there are a lot who do look for jobs and can't get them. Your point?

There again I don’t agree with the way the EMA system was ran.

I'm not entirely sure on my opinion with the way it was run but I feel it did work for a lot of people and it helped a lot more people than who took advantage of it.

DeletedUser

If your family knows people, getting a job is easy.
I'm surprise at what you said Olly, you getting a job shouldn't be too hard :^)

DeletedUser

Okay lets look at some earlier points made:
£30 a week does not pay for:

• Rent
  • Travel
  • Food
  • Anything else you deem vital
It certainly cannot pay for ALL these things, if you're considering to argue one or two...

And that's the MAXIMUM.

Value food? Extremely cheap.
Travel? No, it probably wouldn't cover this with the other things (and in some places altogether!) but it would help.
Rent? Put £10 a-side a week and you've got £40 a month - the rest you can get from a part-time job. (My parents will charge me £100 rent when I go into College.)

What's £10 a week for?
I see it as beer money. Lil spends for clothes, make-up... You like looking good? :icon_wink:

From your attitude and the way you're coming across I guess you're life revolves around buttered scones and a relatively easy lifestyle. If I even got £10 from the government it's highly unlikely it would go on any of that. (especially make-up!)

Now we're onto part-time jobs

Okay lets down some simple facts:
  • Most teens do not bother looking for part-time jobs
  • Part time jobs are not professional jobs
  • Part time jobs can be found nearly everywhere

Now what you may not know is, employers recognize students work during the week. So what you commonly find is weekend jobs. Still with me? Though what you probably don't know is that the supermarkets (Like ASDA) offer working hours during half-terms (Like the 6-week holidays). Though apparently, a lot of people do not live near town centers.

Yes, facts - quite obviously. There are a few who don't look for part-time jobs but I know a lot of my mates have spent hours searching online, walking round the highstreet, talking to managers and handing in CVs. There just aren't that many jobs.

So lets look at farming:
  • You need to be at least 16
  • You need to have a pair of legs
  • You need to be able to communicate

No difference? Yes I know.

Yes but a lot of them don't need the extra hands and will lose money. Also travel. Is it profitable enough to travel out to a farm?

__

I'm sorry, it seems you live on a lovely paradise of harmony where your parents cover all your needs and you just spend your earn't money on luxuries but some of us can't live like that.

DeletedUser613

And there are a lot who do look for jobs and can't get them. Your point?

I'm not entirely sure on my opinion with the way it was run but I feel it did work for a lot of people and it helped a lot more people than who took advantage of it.

Which jobs, part time ones?
Part time jobs are not that hard to get usually, especially since many businesses are laying off full time staff and may need part time to pick up the slack.

DeletedUser

If you are legally allowed to sell alcohol it'll be easier to get a job.
And Radarr, you're 14, what are you worrying about? Getting a paper round is easy :/

DeletedUser3312

Value food? Extremely cheap.
Travel? No, it probably wouldn't cover this with the other things (and in some places altogether!) but it would help.
Rent? Put £10 a-side a week and you've got £40 a month - the rest you can get from a part-time job. (My parents will charge me £100 rent when I go into College.)
Then get a job. Stop moaning about EMA :icon_confused:

From your attitude and the way you're coming across I guess you're life revolves around buttered scones and a relatively easy lifestyle. If I even got £10 from the government it's highly unlikely it would go on any of that. (especially make-up!)
You can guess all you like, but my point still stands.

Yes, facts - quite obviously. There are a few who don't look for part-time jobs but I know a lot of my mates have spent hours searching online, walking round the highstreet, talking to managers and handing in CVs. There just aren't that many jobs.
Well I highly doubt that. Either your friends are lieing to you, or they're just too stupid. Or maybe you're lieing. I don't know, but someone is :icon_surprised:

Yes but a lot of them don't need the extra hands and will lose money. Also travel. Is it profitable enough to travel out to a farm?
What is it with you and travel?
Were you not born with legs?!

I'm sorry, it seems you live on a lovely paradise of harmony where your parents cover all your needs and you just spend your earn't money on luxuries but some of us can't live like that.
I'm sorry, but I don't care what you're stereotyping me to be like. Quite frankly it does not matter, please do not turn this into a personal argument.

DeletedUser3312

If you are legally allowed to sell alcohol it'll be easier to get a job.
And Radarr, you're 14, what are you worrying about? Getting a paper round is easy :/

This kid is 14?
EMA doesn't even affect him! :mad:

/argument over. Come back when you've actually experienced what you're trying to argue about.