EMA

DeletedUser

Well I have experienced it and I can quite honestly say you don't have a clue how hard it is to get ANY sort of job around where I am. You seem to be judging everything on your situation and where you are.

£10 is beer money TO YOU, but to some people £10 is the difference between eating in an evening and not, and no I am not exaggerating - because that is what EMA is geared towards. It's a subsidy to family and people with low income backgrounds who need the extra money so they can continue to live the way they do. You can't work full time whilst at college, there is even extra expense with books, travel, food, trips, resits, lab coats etc.. It all adds up.

And I find your example of.. Farming quite funny, Okay - I'll go to the nearest farm about 15 miles from here and ask whether they have any jobs going? Oh wait, they've got full time workers there already who chose not to go to College.

You're being quite naive to think that this money doesn't help people.

You're also forgetting that College itself is a Full time job, and even to those who are lucky enough to get part time jobs it's a struggle to maintain the balance between College work and Part time work. Some people need to work more than others to achieve the same ends.

DeletedUser3312

Well I have experienced it and I can quite honestly say you don't have a clue how hard it is to get ANY sort of job around where I am. You seem to be judging everything on your situation and where you are.
I can't imagine any place where it's THAT hard, but fair enough, maybe your area is unique.

£10 is beer money TO YOU, but to some people £10 is the difference between eating in an evening and not, and no I am not exaggerating - because that is what EMA is geared towards. It's a subsidy to family and people with low income backgrounds who need the extra money so they can continue to live the way they do.
Well, if £10 was REALLY the difference between eating and not eating, then the family would be VERY poor and they would most likely be getting £30 a week. Think about that.

You can't work full time whilst at college, there is even extra expense with books, travel, food, trips, resits, lab coats etc.. It all adds up.
Already answered this.

And I find your example of.. Farming quite funny, Okay - I'll go to the nearest farm about 15 miles from here and ask whether they have any jobs going? Oh wait, they've got full time workers there already who chose not to go to College.
So you don't live near any shops, nor do you live by a farm. Where are you living? On an excluded island in the middle of nowhere? Perhaps your situation is unique lol.

You're being quite naive to think that this money doesn't help people.
Oh I'm SURE it helps people... Though these extreme circumstances of the minority you're talking about are extremely rare. Even when EMA does go, they'll still be an allowance for these EXTREME cases and they'll be getting £50 a week.
What's the problem here?

You're also forgetting that College itself is a Full time job, and even to those who are lucky enough to get part time jobs it's a struggle to maintain the balance between College work and Part time work. Some people need to work more than others to achieve the same ends.
Well, I assume you're talking about travel costs here. If you can't get a job, and can't pay for the travel costs go to a closer college.
Though, you'll find that colleges often give free passes to those who cannot afford to pay for one.

Again what's the problem?

DeletedUser

I can't imagine any place where it's THAT hard, but fair enough, maybe your area is unique.

Well, if £10 was REALLY the difference between eating and not eating, then the family would be VERY poor and they would most likely be getting £30 a week. Think about that.

You really have no clue how hard life is for some people, do you?

So you don't live near any shops, nor do you live by a farm. Where are you living? On an excluded island in the middle of nowhere? Perhaps your situation is unique lol.

Shops already have staff and don't have the money to hire new staff - especially teenagers! Farms are costly to get to and have full-time staff most of the time.

This kid is 14?
EMA doesn't even affect him! :mad:

/argument over. Come back when you've actually experienced what you're trying to argue about.

It does affect me because I won't get it anymore and a lot of my friends and all 3 of my brothers have been affected by it. By your logic I guess I shouldn't have a go at arguing about politics or anything else actually. Sorry, I'll go sit in a hole somewhere and have my opinions cancelled out by everybody else because of age stereotyping and ignorant minds.

If you are legally allowed to sell alcohol it'll be easier to get a job.
And Radarr, you're 14, what are you worrying about? Getting a paper round is easy :/

Getting a paper round is easy? since when? Why did no-one tell me about this?! I'm 15 - nearly 16 actually. :icon_rolleyes:

Then get a job. Stop moaning about EMA :icon_confused:

I had a saturday job. I don't anymore.

You can guess all you like, but my point still stands.

Your point doesn't stand at all.

Well I highly doubt that. Either your friends are lieing to you, or they're just too stupid. Or maybe you're lieing. I don't know, but someone is :icon_surprised:

I've gone round with 3 of them and another one was my bestmate... so I guess he'll be lying to me just because that's his whole objective in life :icon_rolleyes: If what I say isn't true how about you check out the statistics our government gives us? Maybe you're just ignorant of the truth.

What is it with you and travel?
Were you not born with legs?!

That'd be an extremely rude comment if I was disabled. Watch what you say. Travel is vital everywhere. You can't walk everywhere.

I'm sorry, but I don't care what you're stereotyping me to be like. Quite frankly it does not matter, please do not turn this into a personal argument.

Then stop being so ignorant.

DeletedUser613

You really have no clue how hard life is for some people, do you?

Shops already have staff and don't have the money to hire new staff - especially teenagers! Farms are costly to get to and have full-time staff most of the time.

It does affect me because I won't get it anymore and a lot of my friends and all 3 of my brothers have been affected by it. By your logic I guess I shouldn't have a go at arguing about politics or anything else actually. Sorry, I'll go sit in a hole somewhere and have my opinions cancelled out by everybody else because of age stereotyping and ignorant minds.

Getting a paper round is easy? since when? Why did no-one tell me about this?! I'm 15 - nearly 16 actually. :icon_rolleyes:

I had a saturday job. I don't anymore.

Your point doesn't stand at all.

I've gone round with 3 of them and another one was my bestmate... so I guess he'll be lying to me just because that's his whole objective in life :icon_rolleyes: If what I say isn't true how about you check out the statistics our government gives us? Maybe you're just ignorant of the truth.

That'd be an extremely rude comment if I was disabled. Watch what you say. Travel is vital everywhere. You can't walk everywhere.

Then stop being so ignorant.

Get another saturday job? And usually the fact is a lot of the people getting EMA live in more inner city areas, so usually travel is quite cheap and jobs aren't too far away.

Why would shops not want to hire teenagers? Cheap labor for the weekend when the regular staff might not want to work.

DeletedUser

Why would shops not want to hire teenagers? Cheap labor for the weekend when the regular staff might not want to work.
The trust factor. Most people wouldn't trust teenagers so willingly with a responsibility. And if you want the regular staff to work, they most likely are going to. You hold the upper hand by being the employer.

DeletedUser613

The trust factor. Most people wouldn't trust teenagers so willingly with a responsibility. And if you want the regular staff to work, they most likely are going to. You hold the upper hand by being the employer.

maybe, not saying like running the shop on their own but more of the menial jobs, etc.

DeletedUser

Mattyflan, you do talk the biggest pile of *garbage*. Incase you haven't noticed the economic situation in the United Kingdom. There is increasing numbers of unemployment. Income is getting lower whilst the cost of living is getting higher. Possibly you live in an area that has been sheltered or you have someone paying your expenses.

I'm 15, doing my GCSE's. I intend to go to another school and do my A Levels, in which I'll have to travel anything between 16-30 miles for school unless I move in with my sister, in which I'll then have to pay rent weekly... Now maybe you don't realise, but life costs money. I've already tried for several part time jobs already and no one in my area is recruiting. Surrounded by farms who are taking no one on, near 10 miles from the nearest shop.

For Radarr to be thinking about EMA and such is sensible. If more people put thought into their futures then the world would be slightly better. We are taught to think for our future - heck we do our GCSE's which hold quite a sizeable position in life at such a young edge.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

This is for Discussions, which come with different forum policies than MSG!! Flaming, spam, and de-railing threads are all infractable. If you can't have a mature discussion here, I suggest not posting to save yourselves the infractions! :icon_evil:

DeletedUser

I'm in College atm, and In my personal opinion I think the Government is wrong to scrap EMA, as a lot of the kids who go depend on it as a way of living I know that I do, so when they do scrap it I'll be in trouble and don't think that'll be able to carry on as I'd need to find a job.

DeletedUser613

Its important to note its not really being scrapped but more like funding slashed by 2/3's

DeletedUser

Oh I'm SURE it helps people... Though these extreme circumstances of the minority you're talking about are extremely rare. Even when EMA does go, they'll still be an allowance for these EXTREME cases and they'll be getting £50 a week.
What's the problem here?

As a recipient of EMA, I can say that it has significantly helped me. I receive £30 a week, and I do not spend it on alcohol, make-up etc.. I'm using the money to pay for an additional A-level outside of school.
Now, using the EMA I get, I can pay for 3/4 of the cost every week. You may not think it's much, but if it wasn't for EMA, I wouldn't be doing it due to the poor financial position I am in.

You say I should go get a job?
I would, but it's just not plausible for me. I already lifeguard (2 hours a week, so not much at all) and do volunteering (essential nowadays for good universities), DofE, Russian school (languages are very important for future job prospects), swimming and they all drain my week hugely, to the point where I only have free days on Fridays. Why should I quit any of those activities for a job to pay for education? Something that the government ultimately benefits from in the end..

I am sure, just like me, many people are in the same position. If someone wants to pay for an extra-curricular activity that would make them stand out from the crowd in the application process, I don't see why their financial background should stop them from fulfilling those activities. EMA was something that partly removed that advantage the rich had over the poor in these certain circumstances. It may be a minority, it may not.. but if EMA did not have the effect that the government intended it to have, they wouldn't have left it running since 2004.

Considering it's main purpose was to increase the amount of people in higher education (which worked as 5.9% more people stayed in higher education when it was introduced) and to promote attendance in reward for payments (A great idea and certainly gives me a motive to go to school day in, day out).

I may not be representative of everyone that receives EMA, but nearly everyone in my school that I know of, is not using the EMA for beer money... most are saving for a car/insurance, lunch money or just putting it into a savings account to get ready to pay back the tuition fees.

Just a shout from someone that actually does receive it as the debate has been highly subjective thus far.