Ageism

• Thread starter DeletedUser6695
  • Start date

DeletedUser6695

So guys what are your views on ageism?

Feel free to use 'references' from the locked topic.

Personally I'm against ageism( mainly because I'm 16) but unfortunately it's something we have to live with, it's become a natural thing for adults to treat children as inferior(kinda strong word but can't think of an alternative atm)

DeletedUser

I agree bud
I'm 18 so i know how you feel ecspecially when it comes to getting a job

DeletedUser

i am in the same boat at 21, jobs are unfindable.

but i am against all descrimination of any form, there is realy no exuse for it.

us youncesters muts remember not to be agest aginst thouse older or younger than us or we are know better than thouse who push us around

DeletedUser

Yeah
I hate discrimination, and it's a shame it happens.

DeletedUser613

What some people may perceive as ageism is often merely lack of experience. I mean if there is somebody else going for a job who is more experienced then its usually an easy decision. It just so happens experience usually comes with age.

DeletedUser

Whilst Ageism is wrong, it's much like Racism in the fact that it can go any which way. Children are often ageist towards middle aged people or the elderly, though it's not usually classed as Ageist rather "they're just children" attitude which is just a reciprocal statement. Ageism is therefore rife throughout modern society and I'm afraid is not likely to go away due to the deeprooted-ness of the feelings.

There is also the interesting point that Ageism can be justified - for instance Children are not allowed to Vote, why? Because they are not considered mature enough to form an opinion on politics, I would agree with this. Many views of teenagers are radical, simply because that's what hormones do to you; and so can be taken with a pinch of salt. Whereas those who are older are seen as more mature (most of the time they are, not always) and so their opinions are more likely to be listened to as they are backed up by "life experience"

At the same time though, I do not condone any sort of discrimination and views should be listened to equally despite the person making them. This is as long as the view is sensible and not along any sort of radical lines, as we all know they should just be locked up.

DeletedUser

Young whippersnappers nowadays.

Don't know how to roll.

DeletedUser

I'm mostly with Olis here - ageism can often be justified. Justified to the point that it really isn't fair to call it ageism anymore. People don't hire 18 year olds because they think that someone a bit older will do a better job. Surely that is the same as hiring people based on their education levels?

DeletedUser8807

I'm 11 and a lot of the timei can't even get privs in tribes because of my age

DeletedUser

People don't hire 18 year olds because they think that someone a bit older will do a better job. Surely that is the same as hiring people based on their education levels?

Not really, in some cases yes, but it's not uncommon for an older person to be less educated than a younger person these days

DeletedUser

Not as often as you think, I have plenty of experience ad constantly got knocked back for job in the care sector because I had no formal qualification.

Though that could be an exception

DeletedUser

No one on the internet knows how old you are unless you tell them. It's one of the places that age really doesn't matter - how you carry yourself and what you do matters. Be mature, post intelligently, act in the interests of your tribe, don't advertise your age and the privs will start flying in your direction. :icon_razz:

DeletedUser613

Not as often as you think, I have plenty of experience ad constantly got knocked back for job in the care sector because I had no formal qualification.

Though that could be an exception

So how did you get this experience in the first place.

DeletedUser

I think I'm one to speak on Ageism.
Everyone knows me (almost), and I'm 14, many people say I'm 12 or less.

Ageism must be stopped! >: |
Most of what I say gets disregarded because everyone knows my age - and I don't really care now. Seriously, just grow up and don't get too pissed off when people take the piss out of your age. Using ageism in an argument is not fair to the younger, however, it may well be a valid statement, in the case of Radarr, no, he has not gone through EMA, yet the other guy had. This other person knew exactly what he was talking about in the debate - leave ageism out of it - as he's gone through it, Radarr can't know that much more than him, never actually using it himself.

Although it is very annoying when your older, think, I've gone through this, when I'm older, I can do the same >.>

And so we will continue to be ageist! LONG LIVE AGEIST REMARKS!

DeletedUser

No one on the internet knows how old you are unless you tell them. It's one of the places that age really doesn't matter - how you carry yourself and what you do matters. Be mature, post intelligently, act in the interests of your tribe, don't advertise your age and the privs will start flying in your direction. :icon_razz:

yeah your only liek aht..9 Typhi :p

So how did you get this experience in the first place.

Through volunteering with local youth groups, doing things for the throughcare service in my area like taking groups of young people on Leadership academy's (Columba1400), and you get to know your way around and other things come your way, some paid some volunteer, wasnt till last year I started my Social care course, so technically still havnt got my qualification but the job I got came with the offer to go and do it on a day release basis.

DeletedUser

It doesn't take you telling anyone to figure out you are below the age of consent line. Say no more.

DeletedUser

At first ageism can get annoying.. but if you're intelligent people will soon see it and respond accordingly- you just have to earn respect and work your way up. That's my take on it anyway.

DeletedUser8807

:icon_razz:

DeletedUser

I pretty much agree with Olis.

I'd like to take this as a prime example. When I started a told people my age etc. and I was often put down before I had a chance to put myself however by W14 I had learned to not tell people my age until I had proven myself - funnily enough I was elected duke in several tribes and even founded and lead a rank 3 tribe.

I think I'm one to speak on Ageism.
Everyone knows me (almost), and I'm 14, many people say I'm 12 or less.

Ageism must be stopped! >: |
Most of what I say gets disregarded because everyone knows my age - and I don't really care now. Seriously, just grow up and don't get too pissed off when people take the piss out of your age. Using ageism in an argument is not fair to the younger, however, it may well be a valid statement, in the case of Radarr, no, he has not gone through EMA, yet the other guy had. This other person knew exactly what he was talking about in the debate - leave ageism out of it - as he's gone through it, Radarr can't know that much more than him, never actually using it himself.

Wait? What? I think it's safe to assume he hadn't experienced EMA judging from his posts and the way they were written which makes his argument just as "weak" as mine in terms of experience. Considering nearly everybody in the thread was against him (including people who have ACTUALLY experienced) I really doubt he knew exactly what he was talking about in the debate anyway. FYI, I would experience it if it wasn't being shut down - could be an "experience" ?