Barracks (Rax) Rushing

DeletedUser857

I thought I'd give this method of start up some publicity seeing as all the other startup methods have you build resources before anything else.

Rax rushing, as the name suggests, involves putting all your starting resources towards the barracks instead of towards resources (as a lot of the guides in the "Calculations and Strategy" forum will have you do). The plus of this is that you can build farming troops quickly- immediately being able to pull in some much needed resources.

I'd really like to hear the opinion of you guys on this strat, as (apart from w4 (but that was with a coplayer)) this is the first world I've tried rax rushing solo.

If anyones interested, this is my build order suggestion for Rax rushing.

Wood 1
Clay 1
Iron 1
HQ 1
HQ 2
HQ 3
*Big wait for resources*
Barracks 1
Recruit spears until 15 (start farming after you have 8 spears)
HQ 4
HQ 5
Smithy 1
Smithy 2
Smithy 3

Thats where I am at so far, with my troop count standing at 15 spears.

Any suggestions/ comments, please post them here.

EDIT: I forgot that at some point after spears I rushed wood up to 5- I cant remember exactly where though.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

You will get to 8 spears faster with 3/1/1 resources, build in order: clay timber timber timber iron i think :)

Also 8 spears is risky.. 9 is better :p

Also you dont need to build level 1 hq, you start with it.

DeletedUser7393

I've only ever "rax rushed" once and if I remember correctly, to get 9 spears when I bother to begin farming, it's quicker to build your resource pits to 3/1/1. But I'd consider going 3/1/1 as a rax rush. And the only reason I wouldn't go a timber or two higher would be if I had a competitive neighbour next to me and I wanted to empty their farm

EDIT: inaftermuldeh :(

DeletedUser857

You will get to 8 spears faster with 3/1/1 resources, build in order: clay timber timber timber iron i think :)

Also 8 spears is risky.. 9 is better :p

Also you dont need to build level 1 hq, you start with it.

I didn't know you got there faster, has to be said.

R.E 8 or 9 spears- it doesnt matter. With Rax rushing you will be the first person in your area to farm, thus you will always get full hauls and will always only lose 1 spear (as the barbs wont of had time to build a wall). And anyway, if the barbs have built a wall you're screwed anyway whether you have 8 or 9 spears- I lost 5 of my 15 on a level 1 wall earlier today :icon_cry:

The HQ thing was a typo... :icon_wink:

DeletedUser7393

R.E 8 or 9 spears- it doesnt matter. With Rax rushing you will be the first person in your area to farm, thus you will always get full hauls and will always only lose 1 spear (as the barbs wont of had time to build a wall). And anyway, if the barbs have built a wall you're screwed anyway whether you have 8 or 9 spears- I lost 5 of my 15 on a level 1 wall earlier today :icon_cry:

You always only loose 1 spear?

On 9 spears if you get -25% luck you still only loose 1 spear.
On 8 spears if you get less than roughly -23% luck you loose 2 spears.

Plus I would generally wait 10 minutes extra (seen as my luck stinks) and also to get the bigger haul which I'm not sure about maths wise, but seen as I'm generally not on my pc right away to resend the farm run, I think those extra few res gained from sending 1 extra spear even it out a bit. But that's just me :(

DeletedUser

The HQ thing was a typo... :icon_wink:

Barbs have a limited amount of res inside. Wasting a spear to get the tiny amount of profit you get with 8sp is a waste of that limited resource. Ideally, its best to wait until maybe 11-12sp to reduce that waste, but if you have enough barbs, or if competition looks heavy nearby you can afford to go a bit earlier.

Although as said above, shouldn't start before 9. Losing 2 spears isn't a risk I'm willing to take personally, for the potential profit.

That being said, the difference in startup from world start -> farming is pretty much negligable anyway...

DeletedUser

If you go with 5 spears you only lose 1 I think. Thats what happened to me.

DeletedUser

jadeth, with 5 spears, even if you only lose one, you will likely make a loss on wood.

DeletedUser

You don't always lose 1 spear... I've had quite a few green reports but that's with 30+ spears.

And yeah like muldeh said you have to consider whether it's worth sending 5 spears because you may lose more than you'll gain...

Nauzhror

Reaction score
If you go with 5 spears you only lose 1 I think. Thats what happened to me.

Simple math.

Send 5.

1 dies.

4 live (or even 3 with bad luck).

4 spears hauls 100 res.

100 /3 = 33.33

spears cost 50 wood

50 > 33.33

Thus, not profitable. Especially not if 2 died.

DeletedUser

Wood 1
Clay 1
Iron 1
HQ 1
HQ 2
HQ 3
*Big wait for resources*
Barracks 1
Recruit spears until 15 (start farming after you have 8 spears)
HQ 4
HQ 5
Smithy 1
Smithy 2
Smithy 3

Thats where I am at so far, with my troop count standing at 15 spears.

Any suggestions/ comments, please post them here.

EDIT: I forgot that at some point after spears I rushed wood up to 5- I cant remember exactly where though.

so with rax rushing you currently have (or there abouts):

hq 5
smithy 3
wood 5
clay 1
iron 1

15 spear

i currently have (not saying i am even remotely good, following the lightning start up, start up):

hq 3
barracks 1
no smithy
wood 8
clay 6
iron 2
and 25 spear

couple of farm raids sent, just made a profit in terms of the resources gained - the troops lost

and i imagine those good players out there who are 5 or 6 steps ahead of me on lightning start up will confirm that it is definitely faster to build resources first

Nauzhror

Reaction score
so with rax rushing you currently have (or there abouts):

hq 5
smithy 3
wood 5
clay 1
iron 1

15 spear

i currently have (not saying i am even remotely good, following the lightning start up, start up):

hq 3
barracks 1
no smithy
wood 8
clay 6
iron 2
and 25 spear

couple of farm raids sent, just made a profit in terms of the resources gained - the troops lost

and i imagine those good players out there who are 5 or 6 steps ahead of me on lightning start up will confirm that it is definitely faster to build resources first

Depends on area and activity and world's settings really.

We still have 4 timber, 2 clay, 1 iron, but we have nearly as many axes as you have spears, and more than twice as many spears as you.

DeletedUser282

Fairly sure this is more efficient, I calculated it a while back.

clay 1
wood 1
wood 2
wood 3
iron 1
hq 2
hq 3
barracks
spear

DeletedUser

I can't really see the advantage of building HQ or smithy at this point, unless I missed something?

DeletedUser

Rushing LC is one thing, but swe has <20 spears, if his first post is correct. With a farming force that small, and resource pits that low, there is no way building towards LC is the right use of resources right now.

DeletedUser

Rushing LC is one thing, but swe has <20 spears, if his first post is correct. With a farming force that small, and resource pits that low, there is no way building towards LC is the right use of resources right now.

Ehm. Maybe a bit random but, I've seen players research Light Cavalry with 10 - 20 spears during BP. :|

DeletedUser4687

Ehm. Maybe a bit random but, I've seen players research Light Cavalry with 10 - 20 spears during BP. :|

Did they hit a spike? Cause otherwise I don't see how that's possible. I guess if they had barbs in 3x3 and were only farmer it could be done. What was troop speed on world?

Nauzhror

Reaction score
Did they hit a spike? Cause otherwise I don't see how that's possible. I guess if they had barbs in 3x3 and were only farmer it could be done. What was troop speed on world?

Purple did it on a German world with 20-30 spears I know, don't think under 20 though. Was speed and unit speed 1 there.