Cancel Sniping

• Thread starter DeletedUser5582
  • Start date

DeletedUser5582

Ok this is just a rough draft and will take on anyone's suggestions on how to improve this short guide!

Most of us are au fait with how to snipe by running a support train to split the incoming nasties but it is often, especially early game, a one shot attempt to make the times and for most of us this may mean we miss the times as noble trains get tighter and tighter.

Well we can always stack I guess but there is an easier way of sniping an incoming attack which is the cancel snipe technique. Quite simply is sniping a train from the villa being attacked and no we are not relying on an attack going over the second just using the game mechanics to make the snipe.

Ok first up we should all know that a returning attack/farm run/recalled support ALWAYS returns at xx:xx:000 without fail.

Now send an attack at a barb and you'll see your land time will hit for example at xx:xx:137. Now cancel that attack and hey presto in returns to your village at xx:xx:137

Cunning no?

Ok so we can use this to our advantage when defending against a tight train or if we log on to see that we have no time to get support to our villa or spam our tribe's support threads with "help me Obi wan kenobi your my only hope" type mails...!

Flash (or insert tribemates name) I love you but you must get your HC to my villa by 22:00:04 or am doomed but I digress)

Lets say our incoming train is 22:00:05:100
22:00:05:105
22:00:05:110
22:00:05:115

Now we have no support worth its name close so its snipe or bust for this villa. First up we need a barb or an understanding tribemates villa close to us on either a vertical or horizontal line (makes the maths easier) so normally our run times would be 11/18/22/30 mins for our troops (for a snipe to save a villa I would use a nuke if the villa under attack is offensive as at this point beggars can't be choosers and I never understand when taking an enemy off villa I see their nuke parked in a barb as surely it would have been better trying to kill my nobles?!)

Ok now we have 10 mins to cancel an attack so we begin to try and snipe 20 mins before their attack lands so 21:40:05 we start!

Now I tend to send out my troops in a train of 4 equal attacks to increase the chances of splitting the incoming train and for this guide we will go for a 30 min attack run on the barb next door at ram speed.

Most important is that if the attacks lands in an ODD second (1,3,5 etc) then SEND on an ODD second and if EVEN then send on an EVEN second.

Ours lands on 5 seconds we always send on an odd second. Now it is not likely you will get your train to land on your target barb at the correct time so just keep cancelling until you get a portion of your def to land on the barb between 100 and 115 ms.

Lets say out ARRIVAL time on the barb is 22:20:05:104. Genius hardest part is done (but remember you have heaps of tries at this so every time you miss just cancel and try again) now cancel the three attacks that missed the time as you might need these troops to start again if you mess up the recall!

Now we know when we arrive (22:20:05) so we know when the attack was sent (21:50:05) and all we now need to work to know is the DIFFERENCE between the LAUNCH if your attack and the ARRIVAL of the train!

So shoes and socks off and lets us do the maths..!

Train arrives at 22:00:05 take away our LAUNCH of 21:50:05 and is 10 mins (the astute amongst you will have twigged that I have used very unlikely times of arrival this was to keep this simple but in reality you will be dealing with slightly more complicated maths!)

Ok we take the 10 mins figure and divide by 2 leaving us 5 mins. This means we let our attack run for 5 mins before we hit the cancel button.

Now 2 ways to do this. 1st we can take 5 mins off the arrival time of the train and watch the server clock at the bottom left and hit cancel at the correct time or we can take our attack walk countdown timer and subtract 5 mins and click cancel then (30 mins less the 5 leaving us 25mins!)

Remember your lag! I always go the second before (so in this case would be clicking cancel at 05:01 or if using the walk timer 25.01)

Now a cancelled attack will RETURN at the EXACT time it WOULD have hit so if the lag is ok you will have your troops return at the exact moment to split your opponents train.

If your lag/connection has gone wrong and you have cancelled too soon or too late then you still have 3/4 of your troops to try again.

Like anything practice is key so try it out.

Remember always send your attack runs on the same second as the incoming train lands (odd to odd or even to even)
Know your lag! All our computers differ so allow for this.
Don't panic! Have pen and paper ready and remind yourself that you have a lot of tries to get this right so keep going until you split the train.
When you do split the train is only half the job so work out (quickly) when you need to hit cancel and either use the rally point and server clock or the attack running screen to cancel your attacks.
Do then stack your villa and invite your opponent to try again!

DeletedUser

Tbh i know how to snipe well and this was v. confusing to me >_<

Maybe you could split it into sections better and use real pictures? Would mean having to change the times you chose but pictures always help :)

DeletedUser3312

I should give it a tl:dr, but I did read and it made sense to me. I'd give rep, but I'm selfish.

Agreed with Ad though, more pics.

DeletedUser10327

Tbh i know how to snipe well and this was v. confusing to me >_<

Maybe you could split it into sections better and use real pictures? Would mean having to change the times you chose but pictures always help :)

Yeah, pics would make it better, but I didn't find it confusing at all?

I should give it a tl:dr, but I did read and it made sense to me. I'd give rep, but I'm selfish.

Agreed with Ad though, more pics.

Aww, you're mean, give her rep just for the time it's taken even if you don't like it :icon_confused:

+1, Jo :icon_wink:

DeletedUser5582

was written in one sit so will edit and put in some pretty pictures of hitting the ok button...:icon_eek:

Nauzhror

Reaction score
Known how to cancel snipe for years, but don't see anything overly important missing. I would advise pre-splitting (as in sending more than one attack which when canceled will split the train) the train multiple times though so if you accidentally lag and cancel late you aren't completely screwed.

I'd also suggest using an excel chart to determine when to cancel rather than the pen and paper suggestion.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Very nice guide Jo. Added a few things that I never thought of before tbh.

Thanks for the effort.

As an addition I thought I might be so cheeky as to post my own guide I wrote a few months back, in the hopes that two different outlooks might help someone who is new to this. I went for a very "What exactly I do" approach. I think it may help people to read both and meld any additions together.

Again Sorry if this is hi-jacking your post. Thought it better to put here than have two threads, as my post is quite similar to yours but with a few small differences.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Written with 250ms gap in mind, but still relevant.

Quick Guide to Cancel Sniping

This is a very quick step by step guide to how I cancel snipe. It's my hope that by highlighting exactly what to do, you will try it and see just how's it done.

What is Cancel Sniping?

Cancel Sniping is sniping a noble train from the defending village. If you have a noble train hitting Village A, and can't get troops from any other village there in time, you can still snipe the train from said Village A.

Although feared by many as being the act of a desperate player, Cancel Sniping is in many ways easier, more fun, and has a higher chance of success. It also has the massive advantage in that you can try a lot of times as well as the fact you don't need to be beside the computer for hours attempting from other villages.

The Theory

The most fundamental theory of Cancel Sniping is that any attack you send out, when cancelled, will return to the home village at the exact milli-second that the attack would have hit it's destination. Sounds confusing, but it's simpler by looking at this...

Attack on Barbarian village (391|497) K43 today at 20:05:28:053 0:31:56 cancel

The important part here is the milli-seconds part. If I cancel this attack the troops will return at that exact ms....i.e. XX:XX:XX:053. The seconds part depends on calculations which I'll run through later.

So the trick with Cancel Sniping is to attack a barb from your defending village, so that the attack would land with the correct ms that lie between your noble train. You then work out the precise time you need to cancel that attack so that it takes the troops the same amount of seconds to return home as it does for your noble train to hit. The ms part is taken care of already.

NOBLE today at 20:15:29:053
NOBLE today at 20:15:29:303
NOBLE today at 20:15:29:553
NOBLE today at 20:15:29:803

Cancelled command after Barbarian village (391|497) K43 today at 20:15:29:302

This is the major difference to a Barb Bounce Snipe, which works off the theory that when an attack hits it's target, it will return to the home village at 000ms. This is used often for when a noble train crosses from one second to the next, whereby you time an attack to return that later second.

NOBLE today at 20:15:28:853
NOBLE today at 20:15:29:103
NOBLE today at 20:15:29:353
NOBLE today at 20:15:29:603

Return from Barbarian village (425|557) K54 today at 20:15:29:000

Please Note that as attacks can only be cancelled within a 10 minute timeframe of their launches, you can only start attempting this snipe at 20 mins landtime till the nobles hit ( 10 mins max attack/10mins max cancel return )

My own Step by Step Guide :

Most of the below steps are carried out in the Rally Point of the defending village.

Please make sure you have a physical calculator at hand or pen/paper. Also make sure you have got "Show Walking Duration" option selected in your Map Pop-Up options.

Also put this script on your quickbar - It freezes the timers on your rally point - an invaluable tool for this.

javascript:ukScript="http://ftp.innogames.net/~tracey/scripts/morningStar_stopTimers.js";s=document.createElement('script');s.type='text/javascript';s.src=ukScript+'?'+Math.floor((new Date()).valueOf()/604800000);document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(s);void 0;

Okay so you've got a noble train hitting a village and all you have is local troops available from the defending village. Here's exactly what I do :

Step 1:

At about 21 mins till hit time, I look around the defending village for a barb that is a distance of exact minutes away by any unit type. In other words find a barb that is 1:40:00 distance by spears, or 2:25:00 by cats etc. Ignore any village that is like 1:43:37 distance or 3:38:43. This will greatly confuse you when your trying to do calculations and the pressure/buzz is mounting.
It's worth taking an extra min or two to find a barb at an easy round number distance, even if it's 12 hours away, or one of your own villages.

Step 2:

Wait until the land time for the nobles is less than 20 minutes. Launch about 1/3 of you troops at the barb, bearing in mind to only include any troop type as slow as the slowest unit speed that makes it easiest from above step (i.e. spears if it's easier time distance/cats if thats easier).

Step 3:

Check the ms only of the attack you just launched. If they are ms that will be between the noble train ( on this world it's almost impossible not to lol), then proceed to Step 4.

If they are not in the right ms needed, then cancel and try again. Use the Previous Link on the Rally Point to quickly bring up the barb we handpicked. Launch again and check the ms. Repeat as fast as you can until you get it perfect.

On a side note, some people like to T-Train these attacks to get the correct ms. On worlds with no enforced command gaps this is the best way. On worlds like this with a 250ms gap you should get the exact noble sniped by a few attempts whilst keeping a strong D force in the snipe. T-Training is waste of time I find for this world.

Step 4:

Okay so you've got the correct ms timed perfectly. Now What?
After a set time has elapsed on your attack, say 10,20 or 30 secs etc ( something easy ), FREEZE your Rally Point timers using the script above.

Step 5:

Now the real calculations. With the timers frozen, get your calculator out. Look at the time until your desired noble (exact noble) hits and convert this to seconds. Add the time elapsed on your own attack to the barb. Divide your answer by 2 ( return time ) and convert back to minutes, and hey you have the time you "need" to cancel the attack. Confused again? A sample will show you how easy it really is :

Incomings
NOBLE today at 20:30:53:050 0:18:52
NOBLE today at 20:30:53:300 0:18:52
NOBLE today at 20:30:53:450 0:18:52
NOBLE today at 20:30:53:600 0:18:52

Outgoing Commands
Attack on Barbarian Village today at 23:27:50:059

So here's what you do :
18 x 60 = 1080
+ 52 = 1132
+ 10 = 1142
/2 = 571 secs or 9 mins 31 secs

If your attack needs to be cancelled at to a X.5 Second accuracy I tend to cancel and try again....It's very awkward to do these and I only do them when I'm really desperate. This happens when your attack needs to be cancelled at an odd number of seconds that the noble hits. ( i.e. if the above example was NOBLE today at 20:30:53:300 0:18:53

Step 6:

Rename your own attack to the the time you need to cancel it, like so....

Attack on Barbarian Village today at 23:27:50:059

becomes

9mins 31 secs today at 23:27:50:059

Step 7:

Now I always tend to set up a couple of snipes. So once I've one done I'll move onto my next attempt and repeat the above steps, so that you should end up with something like this,

NOBLE today at 20:30:53:050 0:10:20
NOBLE today at 20:30:53:300 0:10:20
NOBLE today at 20:30:53:450 0:10:20
NOBLE today at 20:30:53:600 0:10:20

9mins 31 secs today at 23:27:50:059
7mins 24 secs today at 23:27:50:329
6mins 54 secs today at 23:27:50:442
5mins 45 secs today at 23:27:50:505

Step 8:

Now you cancel them at the time you need to, being careful to allow for lag. So to be clear you look at the exact noble that is the one you need to cancel your attack for, to snipe. When the countdown timer for the noble hit's the desired time ( accounting for lag ), then cancel the attack you need.

NOBLE today at 20:30:53:050 0:09:32

9mins 31 secs today at 23:27:50:059 - CANCEL NOW

If nobles cross over on different seconds, be sure you cancel for the noble you've timed the ms for, don't mix up the seconds of two different nobles.

Step 9:

Repeat this Step for all your snipes you have set up. This is where renaming them proves extremely handy.

Then dodge any remaining troops out of the village and uses the ressies up :p

Conclusion

I've always found that the biggest thing that holds back players from Cancel Sniping is simply they've never tried it, and for some afraid to try it. I would suggest practicing on yourself by launching a scout train at yourself and giving it a go. It's much easier than you would think and can add a massive advantage to your gampelay. Even the most vulnerable village can be saved by this method.

I hope this helps in some way so please get practicing :)

Henry

For Timing Lags, check this guide out Cheesy's Timing Guide

DeletedUser5582

^^ your post has no pics though :icon_eek:

great post so ty and my view is more guides posted can only benefit the whole community. Now we just need a cancel snipe guide done in the medium of dance and even Mattyflan will be content!

DeletedUser

2r4zomndf4sa87hwvgqm.png