Conquer the World - Life's Not Always What It Seems...

• Thread starter MetallicPhantom
  • Start date

DeletedUser282

4. A lot can happen in a year. Why not give people larger more realistic budgets, make them put more detail into their turns and instead do a big post every 4 days. This gives more time to do events and such as well.

The majority of starting budgets are too large, as the majority of "government spending" is spent on things that have to be spent every year, like education or health care or social security and public sector wages.

And in many cases people don't have enough detail about countries to be able to add more detail, their is a limit to what wikipedia can tell people. Also enforcing much more details means that GMs have to write in much more detail which is hard for them.

DeletedUser

The majority of starting budgets are too large, as the majority of "government spending" is spent on things that have to be spent every year, like education or health care or social security and public sector wages.

And in many cases people don't have enough detail about countries to be able to add more detail, their is a limit to what wikipedia can tell people. Also enforcing much more details means that GMs have to write in much more detail which is hard for them.

Which is why I'm saying it should be every 4 turns. GMs then have more time to write more detail.

The point of us being in control of the country is that we control it. If we do not have the full budget to use then how could we make decisions like... I don't want $3bn being used on an education system that isn't working. I should be able to get the $3bn back and make a reform of the education system.

There is PLENTY of information out there on specific countries. People rely far too much on Wiki, me included. This would make us look elsewhere. Giving advantage to those who want to put more detail into their turns.

DeletedUser

Well said!

Although on the CTW note, I haven't played it as long as some people here that's for sure. But I think the rules do need clarifying specifically around the invasion area.

I'm just saying for further CTW games;

1. Terrain can play a big part in invasions, climate even more so. Look at Russia-Germany for an example. Seasons aren't specified, so the defending country is already at an advantage/disadvantage. Maybe that should be rectified by say if the plan is put up half a day after big post it's spring... or something like that.

2. Posting attack plans then defence plans is extremely advantageous to the defending party. They've seen the attack, even the secret pincer moves, so they can plan against it. Giving away the element of surprise.

3. Every ctw seems to follow the same route, I'm starting to find them quite boring recently because it's the same backstory of USA/UK/USSR all powerful fighting against each other etc etc. We spread to other countries via doubtful mergers, invade under very doubtful reasons that wouldn't happen irl (ehem...Somalia), Don't specify how things are to be done. People were picking me up on small things like my biofuel, yet I see people throwing in "Improve fishing - 500m" ..... How?!

4. A lot can happen in a year. Why not give people larger more realistic budgets, make them put more detail into their turns and instead do a big post every 4 days. This gives more time to do events and such as well.

5. Inject some intriguing backstory into the CTW, have a full 10 year spread filled out so that the story doesn't have to be made on the spot. Put exciting things that maybe wouldn't happen irl or would in there. For example... I've never seen anyone use a biological weapon! Yes, it is high risk, but UK, USA and China all have them. China even own a small part of the smallpox virus yet nobody has unleashed it on the world yet?

I'm just saying; there are quite a lot of flaws that have been neglected for a while and that to bring the experience to a new level, maybe they have to be rectified.

The point in it being a game is that most of the things that happen here would never happen in real life, like a 14 year old owning most of Central America. Making it too realistic would be bad as there would be so many problems you'd face, look at the UK, the government want to change something, immediate riot, you'd need a lot of sub-turns because of riots etc that you'f get bored. A real government is under a lot of stress and the fact that this is a game is it's meant to be relaxing, you don't wanna come back to, "Oh god, I don't wanna go on CtW as there's too many riots and it's boring =S"

Point is, the more realistic it gets, the more boring it would get. The way it is at the moment is fine, but maybe tweak it a bit for new CtWs like your terrain thing and definitely a better back story rather than this ones 2018 story =|

DeletedUser

The point in it being a game is that most of the things that happen here would never happen in real life, like a 14 year old owning most of Central America. Making it too realistic would be bad as there would be so many problems you'd face, look at the UK, the government want to change something, immediate riot, you'd need a lot of sub-turns because of riots etc that you'f get bored. A real government is under a lot of stress and the fact that this is a game is it's meant to be relaxing, you don't wanna come back to, "Oh god, I don't wanna go on CtW as there's too many riots and it's boring =S"

Point is, the more realistic it gets, the more boring it would get. The way it is at the moment is fine, but maybe tweak it a bit for new CtWs like your terrain thing and definitely a better back story rather than this ones 2018 story =|

But thats what I'm saying.

We can get away with things like mergers which would never happen, and traveling the world with an army etc.

But If I wanted to invade Argentina for the hell of it, there would be hell to pay. UN would be all over me.

Budget increases is my main focus point, no matter what anyone does the increase seems to go up by the same amount every year. If thats the case, then whats the point in wasting billions of your economy. Why not just give 500m to fishing and let the GM worry about the budget?

There is no reward to those who think outside the box and put detail into what they're doing.

DeletedUser

But thats what I'm saying.

We can get away with things like mergers which would never happen, and traveling the world with an army etc.

But If I wanted to invade Argentina for the hell of it, there would be hell to pay. UN would be all over me.

Budget increases is my main focus point, no matter what anyone does the increase seems to go up by the same amount every year. If thats the case, then whats the point in wasting billions of your economy. Why not just give 500m to fishing and let the GM worry about the budget?

There is no reward to those who think outside the box and put detail into what they're doing.

Sure, so when Marsak and Qwert have around 10+ billion, I'm there with 5.6 billion because of my canal, if it went up by the same amount every year we'd always have the same budget. If you have a problem with the way the GM is doing budgets, tell them...

It doesn't go up by the same, your just doing it wrong :icon_wink:

DeletedUser

Sure, so when Marsak and Qwert have around 10+ billion, I'm there with 5.6 billion because of my canal, if it went up by the same amount every year we'd always have the same budget. If you have a problem with the way the GM is doing budgets, tell them...

It doesn't go up by the same, your just doing it wrong :icon_wink:

I've already brought it up with the GM. And I'm not doing it wrong, the best way to make money differs from each country.

DeletedUser

I've already brought it up with the GM. And I'm not doing it wrong, the best way to make money differs from each country.

Exactly... So if you wanna get a bigger budget, do better stuff for your countries and then you will... When I got Costa-Rica to merge AND had my canal made bigger, my budget went up by around 800m or so...

DeletedUser

Exactly... So if you wanna get a bigger budget, do better stuff for your countries and then you will... When I got Costa-Rica to merge AND had my canal made bigger, my budget went up by around 800m or so...

You obviously don't understand my point so I will not try and force it upon you.

DeletedUser282

Which is why I'm saying it should be every 4 turns. GMs then have more time to write more detail.

The point of us being in control of the country is that we control it. If we do not have the full budget to use then how could we make decisions like... I don't want $3bn being used on an education system that isn't working. I should be able to get the $3bn back and make a reform of the education system.

There is PLENTY of information out there on specific countries. People rely far too much on Wiki, me included. This would make us look elsewhere. Giving advantage to those who want to put more detail into their turns.

If you state that you want to cut your education budget to 0 in one year and you want to get this money to reform the education system and you can provide figures for this then I'm sure a GM would let you. However, once your people realised you removed the money that keeps your countries education running completely, to spend it on reforming education I'm sure they would kill you as the schools would no longer have any money with which to operate.

If you want to commit suicide in an interesting but stupid way then the above sounds like a worthwhile idea.

The idea that you should get the whole budget is stupid in my opinion, there would be too many details and you would not find them on the internet.

In the current system, if you want to make a change to taxation or general spending on education or the health service or public sector wages you state this in your turn fairly generally, and the Gm will make the changes for the next turn/. Your idea is extremely overcomplicated and quite unneeded.

If your budget is going up by the same amount each turn then either you increase stuff by about the same amount each turn or you are doing something wrong, or the GM is doing something wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

If you state that you want to cut your education budget to 0 in one year and you want to get this money to reform the education system and you can provide figures for this then I'm sure a GM would let you. However, once your people realised you removed the money that keeps your countries education running completely, to spend it on reforming education I'm sure they would kill you as the schools would no longer have any money with which to operate.

If you want to commit suicide in an interesting but stupid way then the above sounds like a worthwhile idea.

The idea that you should get the whole budget is stupid in my opinion, there would be too many details and you would not find them on the internet.

In the current system, if you want to make a change to taxation or general spending on education or the health service or public sector wages you state this in your turn fairly generally, and the Gm will make the changes for the next turn/. Your idea is extremely overcomplicated and quite unneeded.

If your budget is going up by the same amount each turn then either you increase stuff by about the same amount each turn or you are doing something wrong, or the GM is doing something wrong.

My first point was actually used as an example, not what I want to do. I would rather have the FULL budget for everything and let me spend it on what I think is important.

DeletedUser

Well said!

Although on the CTW note, I haven't played it as long as some people here that's for sure. But I think the rules do need clarifying specifically around the invasion area.

I'm just saying for further CTW games;

1. Terrain can play a big part in invasions, climate even more so. Look at Russia-Germany for an example. Seasons aren't specified, so the defending country is already at an advantage/disadvantage. Maybe that should be rectified by say if the plan is put up half a day after big post it's spring... or something like that.

2. Posting attack plans then defence plans is extremely advantageous to the defending party. They've seen the attack, even the secret pincer moves, so they can plan against it. Giving away the element of surprise.

3. Every ctw seems to follow the same route, I'm starting to find them quite boring recently because it's the same backstory of USA/UK/USSR all powerful fighting against each other etc etc. We spread to other countries via doubtful mergers, invade under very doubtful reasons that wouldn't happen irl (ehem...Somalia), Don't specify how things are to be done. People were picking me up on small things like my biofuel, yet I see people throwing in "Improve fishing - 500m" ..... How?!

5. Inject some intriguing backstory into the CTW, have a full 10 year spread filled out so that the story doesn't have to be made on the spot. Put exciting things that maybe wouldn't happen irl or would in there. For example... I've never seen anyone use a biological weapon! Yes, it is high risk, but UK, USA and China all have them. China even own a small part of the smallpox virus yet nobody has unleashed it on the world yet?

I'm just saying; there are quite a lot of flaws that have been neglected for a while and that to bring the experience to a new level, maybe they have to be rectified.

1. Terrain can easily play to the advantage of the attacker as well as the defender. You've just got to put some real advanced thought into your invasions. Not invading through complete areas of jungle with no roads for example.

2. The GM should always consider this when writing the result's of a retal. Unless the defender has air-superiority and uses UAV's in a smart fashion the attackers use of surprise is always considered, unless the enemy has to use major roads for his assault.

3. Nearly every single story has been tried as this game has been going on for several years, it's quite hard to come up with completely new ideas. If you don't like the idea of mergers then I don't see how this game can progress, it's built upon mergers and things that would be considered quite wrong if they happened in real life. Instead of staying silent you should point out these people who just say improve fishing.

4. CTW's have advanced over the years. Giving a person a complete budget would ruin the current mixture of the CTW. It would be far too complex for beginners to start playing CTW and creating turns would require far too much research and take up a lot of peoples time.

5. biological weapons are strictly illegal. The United Nations keeps a firm grip on any country developing biological toxins. China would never release smallpox on the general population. If any country launched a biological weapon attack they'd have their ass kicked quicker then they can congratulate themselves.

Some flaws do exist in the rules however none of the flaws you stated exist. Kthxbai.

DeletedUser282

My first point was actually used as an example, not what I want to do. I would rather have the FULL budget for everything and let me spend it on what I think is important.

The problem with this is that you can't know everything.

You don't know how much it costs to keep each school or hospital running, you don't know how much it costs to sustain your military, you don't know how much the ammunition and fuel your military uses up and how much this costs,as the CTW keeps going you won't know exactly how many public sector workers you have, I would continue with this list but if you haven't got the point by now then quite frankly you aren't worth the time.

There is nothing wrong with the current format regarding what you suggest, if you want something changed then just state it and quote some figures.

There is no way that one person can create a full, workable budget with the detail that you are suggesting, in real life it takes hundreds of people with full access to details, to run a country, one person with internet access will not be able to do so.

The budgets you are given are the full budget, with social security, public sector wages, military upkeep costs, and any other public sector things that pretty much have to keep running to keep your country going, what is left gives you plenty of variables.

Giving people access to everything would be a ridiculous waste of time and it would make CTW games much harder for everyone.

DeletedUser

/me tells Olly to go away politely.

DeletedUser

/me tells Olly to go away politely.

Are you completely unable to have a simple debate? If you have nothing constructive to add then you go away, I do not take orders from children.

The problem with this is that you can't know everything.

You don't know how much it costs to keep each school or hospital running, you don't know how much it costs to sustain your military, you don't know how much the ammunition and fuel your military uses up and how much this costs,as the CTW keeps going you won't know exactly how many public sector workers you have, I would continue with this list but if you haven't got the point by now then quite frankly you aren't worth the time.

There is nothing wrong with the current format regarding what you suggest, if you want something changed then just state it and quote some figures.

There is no way that one person can create a full, workable budget with the detail that you are suggesting, in real life it takes hundreds of people with full access to details, to run a country, one person with internet access will not be able to do so.

The budgets you are given are the full budget, with social security, public sector wages, military upkeep costs, and any other public sector things that pretty much have to keep running to keep your country going, what is left gives you plenty of variables.

Giving people access to everything would be a ridiculous waste of time and it would make CTW games much harder for everyone.

Exactly! Too complicated, but where is the line drawn? At amphibious assaults or UN intervention to invasions?

CTW is extremely economy/domestic based compared to what the name suggests, yet the outcome of such long though out turns comes to +$(insert completely random sum as long as it's above what you had last turn).

To me it all looks like double standards, areas where specificity is needed and without it would be a disaster. Then there are areas where the less detail you put the better.

DeletedUser

Are you completely unable to have a simple debate? If you have nothing constructive to add then you go away, I do not take orders from children.

It's not so much a debate, more you making some random idea which would never work, then getting told why it won't work by Qwert and Garg.
I have added something but you chose to ignore it, possibly because it destroyed your logic and you have no response to it.

DeletedUser

It's not so much a debate, more you making some random idea which would never work, then getting told why it won't work by Qwert and Garg.
I have added something but you chose to ignore it, possibly because it destroyed your logic and you have no response to it.

You didn't address my point at all so I chose to ignore it, because I know from experience "debates" with you end up in slag fests. Don't pretend you even know how to destroy my logic; my points are logical, the debate is to whether it would be realistic to put it in CTW.

DeletedUser282

Exactly! Too complicated, but where is the line drawn? At amphibious assaults or UN intervention to invasions?

CTW is extremely economy/domestic based compared to what the name suggests, yet the outcome of such long though out turns comes to +$(insert completely random sum as long as it's above what you had last turn).

To me it all looks like double standards, areas where specificity is needed and without it would be a disaster. Then there are areas where the less detail you put the better.

This is all up to the discretion of the GM, the GM is basically God, different Gods do thing different ways.

The budget thing is again up to the GM, with a good GM a good turn will get you rewarded with plenty of moneys and a bad turn will get you less money and an awful turn will make very bad things happen.

It's not really double standards, it's just that some things need specificity, for example military attack plans and some things just don't.

Some minor errors in a turn can easily be escalated by people pointing out that things don't work, but if this is done before the turns are due in, then it doesn't matter as they can just be changed. (This of course is not the case with invasion plans)