Defining Skill?

DeletedUser

Arguments? How so? I just shown my perspective on the word Luck?

Plus at the top i stated 'Opinions, Opinion's'

Yes. People can have perspective and opinion. That's the point.

You can't change my perspective on a word in relation to my argument, especially if I then define what I mean by luck.

:icon_neutral:

DeletedUser

To me, the definition of 'Skill' (Based on TW, not the word itself) Skill is the ability to overcome the odds, if you will, having multiple opponents attacking, not an end in sight, Skill to me, is having everyone in one tribe working as one, supporting, whether that be in offense, defense, or even as simple as a few resources here and there.

Alot of people here, there and, well everywhere think that 'Skill' is Being rank one in this, rank one in that, yes that is correct, but in different ways wrong, maybe some tribes haven't been giving the opportunity to express this to the world, Here I'm referring to quieter tribes, who don't post much/at all on the forums to show the world of maybe achievements, Tribes like FREE, TR, *FW* and IWL.

This is a daunting question as the possibilities could go on for ages.

That is my opinion on the word 'Skill'.

I agree with irjoney

DeletedUser4280

skill to me is the ability to carry out a task in the way u wish it.

in RL skill u could define as the ability to shoot hoops from range every time or more often than one who has not acquired that particular skill.

so in TW terms there is no defining skill so to speak. merely operations ig to be carried out.

sending sub 100 ms trains is a skill that one can acquire, making said person skillful in that field.

sniping ms trains is a skill one can acquire, making said person skillful in that field.

in some tribes usually of mixed ability, but sometimes of majority good ability, there are designated snipers, persons which have a lot of skill in the sniping field.

luck is a factor in game play, but not of the importance that some ppl say it is. The more skill in a certain fields one acquires the less luck applies, as u could determine sniping skill, as the ability to further calculate changing factors? its only luck when u believe it is a factor u can not control and have no means of controlling it. To a nub mili-second guessing to correct time is luck. to a more skillful player in the field of timing, its not a unmeasurable incalculable factor.

DeletedUser

That's a fair point(contradicting my last post). You could claim someone who is amazing at sniping ms trains are better than someone who sends them because who will be seen as the victor in the battle. Being able to lead a massive tribe of over 200 members is also a great skill. The is no denying that luke and roch are both great leaders but under them there is always the barons and the k commanders etc. a bit like russia before the revolution.

DeletedUser

According to a online English Dictionary, Skill is a "Proficiency, facility, or dexterity that is acquired or developed through training or experience."

So it's learning to do something through training/experence, most players come here with a sort of grasp of the game but doing things like sniping, timing attacks, etc. Take time to learn (personally I got taught on .net by good players, who took the time to show me, my skill was trained), it's putting that effort in to be good, gives you the skill to be good (tho' some find it easier than others).

In regards to luck that Blue hunger mentioned, as a football coach you get taught to ignore luck as luck doesn't come into it, you shoot wide it's bad technique, not unlucky, you look at what you did wrong and re-do it till you get the right technique to shoot on target, I understand the game has luck as part of it but you can cancel out luck by understanding the game (5 noble trains to prevent not nobling for example).

That's my opinion anyway.

DeletedUser

According to a online English Dictionary, Skill is a "Proficiency, facility, or dexterity that is acquired or developed through training or experience."

So it's learning to do something through training/experence, most players come here with a sort of grasp of the game but doing things like sniping, timing attacks, etc. Take time to learn (personally I got taught on .net by good players, who took the time to show me, my skill was trained), it's putting that effort in to be good, gives you the skill to be good (tho' some find it easier than others).

In regards to luck that Blue hunger mentioned, as a football coach you get taught to ignore luck as luck doesn't come into it, you shoot wide it's bad technique, not unlucky, you look at what you did wrong and re-do it till you get the right technique to shoot on target, I understand the game has luck as part of it but you can cancel out luck by understanding the game (5 noble trains to prevent not nobling for example).

That's my opinion anyway.

i agree with most of ur post, but luck is a major factor in TW.

1- RL issues, even though its an issue and not a luck, but ingame its unlucky bcz u cant continue for a reason that has nothing to do with the game itself.
2-positioning.
3-the fighting luck :lol:
4-ur connection lag which will vary always . unless u body was linked to the pc, there is no way u can know ur lag at the exact given time(just abt when ur gonna press ok)
the list can go on and on...

DeletedUser

i agree with most of ur post, but luck is a major factor in TW.

1- RL issues, even though its an issue and not a luck, but ingame its unlucky bcz u cant continue for a reason that has nothing to do with the game itself.
2-positioning.
3-the fighting luck :lol:
4-ur connection lag which will vary always . unless u body was linked to the pc, there is no way u can know ur lag at the exact given time(just abt when ur gonna press ok)
the list can go on and on...

You can predict your lag based on what your averaeg lag is, but it is hit-and-miss, so therefore, still some luck. But there is skill involved in predicting your lag.

DeletedUser1189

I'd 100% agree with Blue when he said there is no skill, only luck, intelligence and activity. This pretty much sums it up for me too. There is no skill required to play this game. There's what, about three or four things which people consider you to have skill for to be considered good. Sniping a train is probably the most difficult if someone has sent you a sub second train. But at the end of the day what skill is involved in sniping it. Its not a complex task, you send troops out and you recall them or have them land back in the middle of the train. As its moving sub one second then its just a matter of luck if you time it right but all it requires is you to click your mouse a couple of times. Skill, no way.

Experience in the game, understanding the nature of players and tribes, being able to predict how they will react, knowing what to expect when you fight someone, things like this are worth far more than the knowledge required snipe, dodge etc.

DeletedUser2918

i agree to some extent with BH:

There is no such thing as skill. Only luck, intelligence and activity.

but to me those 3 elements are what is constituted as 'skill' in TW. I dont think theres anything innately 'skill' about TW - most of it can be learned. Its how quickly you learn these things that will see you as a skilled player. A grasp of tactics and the ability to organise are also useful - but these could be considered a part of intelligence as well.

of equal importance to me is something that Gudders said:

skill in tw is having good personal skills

this is perhaps an undervalued attribute by some. If you cant communicate with your tribe (especially if you're in a leadership position), or if you pee them off at every given opportunity, then you're not the best player out there. Eventually you'll fail as even if you're the biggest player on a world you can be taken out by a tribe of others - this is tribal wars and peole who stand alone dont last long. Having fellas that are around that will fight for you and you will fight for (because you've got to know them and get on with them) is extremely important.

so for me skill = luck, intelligence (which can in turn be broken down), activity, and inter-personal skills.

DeletedUser

I'd 100% agree with Blue when he said there is no skill, only luck, intelligence and activity. This pretty much sums it up for me too. There is no skill required to play this game. There's what, about three or four things which people consider you to have skill for to be considered good. Sniping a train is probably the most difficult if someone has sent you a sub second train. But at the end of the day what skill is involved in sniping it. Its not a complex task, you send troops out and you recall them or have them land back in the middle of the train. As its moving sub one second then its just a matter of luck if you time it right but all it requires is you to click your mouse a couple of times. Skill, no way.

Experience in the game, understanding the nature of players and tribes, being able to predict how they will react, knowing what to expect when you fight someone, things like this are worth far more than the knowledge required snipe, dodge etc.

The knowledge of how to defeat your enemies, coupled with the activity to get up at the right times to do timings, or the knowledge of how to send fast trains, or the accuracy of know to snipe and backtime, is skill for example.

Luck, cannot change outcomes very much, it can only delay the inevitable. A few conquers may be missed in terms of luck (4 noblemen fail), but in the grand scheme of things, luck can't save you from a losing battle.

DeletedUser

That's a really interesting question. I think there's plenty of luck involved in TW and lots of different skills. You have to join a good tribe and forge links with other players so you know you'll support each other. There's all the communication in tribes.

There are the many 'technical' skills involved in knowing how to defend and attack.

Then there's all the skills of being a leader in a tribe. Keeping morale good, more communication, solving disputes, diplomacy etc.

Some players play very carefully, very safe. Even the safest players can have bad luck and be wiped out. Then some players play fast and loose, and can sometimes grow very quickly. There must be strategic skill in where to take villas which alliances to make, thinking ahead. Sometimes a lot of politics happens. And you have to be careful about what you say, not to give anything away.

That's why this is such a superb game. Quite a lot of life skills creep in to it, so I imagine TW is quite educational for youngsters.

DeletedUser

I think there are two very distinct forms of skill which TW requires. "Ability in a tribe", and "ability as a player".

To be skillful as a tribe member/leader I think you need to be able to delegate and follow orders, coordinate attacks and support, and have a decent sense of when/where to attack or negotiate - in short the ability to be well organised and make the "right decision" (which I suppose means how well you can get a hold of other tribes plans/intentions helps too).

To be a skillful player I think really means to be able to tweak every situation so that your enemies are worse off, and that you limit your own damages as best as possible. Whether that means being able to snipe nobles, or prenoble/renoble, or backtime enemy nukes to attack them as they return home, or whatever. The more you are able to cause detriment to your enemies, whilst keeping your own losses to a minimum I think is a measure of how skilled a player you are.

DeletedUser

That's a really interesting question. I think there's plenty of luck involved in TW and lots of different skills. You have to join a good tribe and forge links with other players so you know you'll support each other. There's all the communication in tribes.

There are the many 'technical' skills involved in knowing how to defend and attack.

Then there's all the skills of being a leader in a tribe. Keeping morale good, more communication, solving disputes, diplomacy etc.

Some players play very carefully, very safe. Even the safest players can have bad luck and be wiped out. Then some players play fast and loose, and can sometimes grow very quickly. There must be strategic skill in where to take villas which alliances to make, thinking ahead. Sometimes a lot of politics happens. And you have to be careful about what you say, not to give anything away.

That's why this is such a superb game. Quite a lot of life skills creep in to it, so I imagine TW is quite educational for youngsters.

Joining a good tribe isn't luck, its you making an educated decision to join the tribe you think is best. Its your *choice*. Hence its not luck.

Playing "safe" at start up (i.e. turtle) is an inevitably fail imo, it slows down your growth, then you get overwhelmed by sheer size of your faster growing offensive competitors. Being a good leader is indeed a skill too! Most don't have it!

DeletedUser1189

Adellion, you have quoted and argued against what people have to say about the idea of skill in the game, but you have not actually put down what you think is defining skill?