Eiodain's guide to:The Tribe

DeletedUser4580

Warfare is only one aspect of tribal wars, sadly it is the only aspect many will ever see.Most players are so preoccupied with building empires that they never take the time to fully observe the workings of the game.And this more than anything leads to their downfall.Tribal wars is primarily a war game like the name implies, but players who are not just involved but aware of their enviroment realize that below the initial surface of the game lies a subtle undertow a testament to the brilliance and ingenuity of its creators.

It is this undertow-along with all its trapings-that serves more than anything else as the determinants in the game.The principles if you will that govern this violent world.Some are more obvious than others but all are equally important.It is the aim of these series to expose and explore these rules.Making that which was hidden plain for everyone to see.In this paticular guide i will disscuss tht which is most glaring the concept of a tribe.

Like is earlier Tribal wars is more than just a war game.In many ways it can be seen to be a management game as this is practicaly what most people do.In TW Players are tasked with managing resources,troops,whole villages and in time (Ares willing) burgeoning empires bursting at the seams.But their is one aspect that is often over looked and that is the management of people.

Dains rule 1:In Tribal wars people matter.Lets face it. it dosent matter how innovative or experienced you are as a player if youre in the wrong company your screwed.In TW your only as good and the people aroud you.If they fail you fall.As such i have tried to explain how to put together a solid foundation upon which you can build the most effective efficient tribe ever.These 3 areas have to be built up carefully.If this is done everything else falls into place without a hitch.They are:

Aristocracy

In my opinion a lot of people place to much emphasis on Tribal Aristocracy,something i would discourage any tribe worth its salt from doing.The aristocracy is important,(dont get me wrong).But often times (in a bid to make it seem like he/she is active) tribal leaders often to rush to bestow power and delegate duites to untried, untested individuals who only end up abusing the power entrusted to them.For any tribe to be succesful its leadership mechanisim has to be kept simple and its decision making process "short and sweet".

To this end i advocate an Aristocracy made up of people upon who responsiblity not power is "bestowed".People who are beholden to the tribe,whose job it is to take decisions for the good of the tribe.People with excess experience and enormus intelligence whose sole duty is to devise means and ways for the tribe to stay a few steps ahead of the enemy as well as dealing with any problems or complaints that might arise within the tribe.

I feel that the creation of offices is unecessary.Assigning a person with roles is all well and good but that dosent get the job done any faster.I say we forgo this system of assigning roles for one that i have personally seen to have been tried and tested by many tribes.The community council system.It works like so;

Basicly there are between 5-9 (for a tribe with 50 members) and 10-15(for a tribe as big as Family tribes) council members.Each has equal standing with the only named posts being the Tribe leader,Co leader and the diplomat.All others share power and authority and one can stand in for the other when he/she is not present.Issues are delibrated upon except where quick decisions are needed in which case the whatever council memeber is online can take decisions and ask questions later.What were working towards is a council that is as efficient as it is effective.This system that i propose cuts through all of the red tape and beaurucracy that permeates tribes today.The goal of any tribe is to become a well oiled military machine.This system of leadership brings us one step closer to achiving this.

Members

The quality of a tribe Litrally boils down to what kind of army you want on your side.The Tribe leader is a general,the tribe members his army.What kind of army would you like to fighting on your side? A demoralized disilusioned army whose members are looking for a way out of the tribe and will abscond the minute they get a chance to or an army that is pshyced;ready to follow the leader to hell and back if neccessary( assuming youll be coming back) and who instead of trying to leave will do anything to stay on top of getting their friends to join .The latter is advisable and strongly recomended.

Their's is nothing like being in the same tribe with enthusiastic dedicated members who are involved in the game and not just playing it to kill time.Players that are actively involved in the game and want to see the tribe succede as much as you do not only increases morale of the tribe but leads to the creation of a tribe that is inventive and intuitive that posseses the resurces and ability to constantly outsmart the enemy.

To this end carrying the tribe along with you in the decision making process is not a bad idea.Let the tribe members feel involved in the tribe,let them feel like they matter,like they belong.Ask for their opinion on stuff and listen to what they have to say.They are your closest allies and the only one's who have your back in this cold cruel world.

Goals should be set by the aristocracy.Tell them what direction their working in and what objectives their working towrds .In addition give advice on how you think their villages can be better built.Steady them support them,give them focus and the will to keep playing.Do every thing in your power to improve them.Adhere to this and the tribe should be fine deviate from this and you might have a dysfunctional organization on your hands.

Never forget a TW is like the game of football and tribes are its equivalent of teams.Their are lots of players out their with great potential usualy in other tribes You should be on the look out for them and try to recruit them if possible remeber in the course of executing their military campaign tribes inadvertdly expand in all directions with the really big ones pushing into new areas on a daily bases and tunning across new players.it would serve the tribe better to recruit some of these players as opposed to nobling them.On an individual level this might not make much sense but on the tribal level it does. Better an extra soldier that enriches the tribe strategicly than a ton of villages that end up being dead weight and will only weigh you down.

Diplomacy

It is no coincidence that Diplomacy and Dynamite start with the same letter.The substance that one is made up of is just as unstable as the other.A friend on another world once likned diplomacy to sailing a small leaky boat through a storm blindfolded.Its real sensitive work that cannot be avoided and a privilege that should not be abused.In this "broken",unstable,violence driven world of ours diplomacy serves as a balm of sorts, a device if you will that brings some semblance of order into chaos and sanity into a situation which if not quite insane is fast approaching it.

A double edged sword diplomacy is by far the most insidous of weapons available to us and is unlike any mechanisim of conflict in exsistence today. In times of peace diplomacy is at war craftily positioning pieces for the inevitable confrontation that is to follow;gathering allies and identifying enimes laying down battle plans and ferreting out the goals of the opposition.And in times of war? diplomacy is at alert on the sides closely monitoring the ebb and flow of the conflict ready to jump in to provide its own with much needed reprive when the tide of battle turns against them.

As such interaction with other tribes is a fact of every day life in TW.Unless the tribe has a death wish it cannot but make a few allies.Even the Spartans at thermopolaye had allies despite what popular culture would have us belive.(There were 7000 soldiers on the spartan side initially and about 1500 at the final stand) Faliure to interact = eventual destruction if no one knows you no one cares about you and you become an obstacle to be buldozed on the path being paved by other tribes to success.

I suggest someone with great people skills for this job.And by great i mean a person whose people skills are above average with great patience preferably someone who likes to talk not excessively but creativley.Some one who can sell water to a fish,dirt to a mole,oil to the Saudi arabians.He must be able to spin a yarn, as his job entails walking a fine line never sure who is lying to him and who is telling the truth.

He has to be able to plead the tribes case to any and every one.Making sure they see his side of the story.Fighting a war with words;his weapon a silky smooth tounge that can say nothing wrong.Drawing attention away froom the dagger in his left hand and on to the apple in his right.It is his job to strike up and manage communications the tribes allies and enimes.He is the tribes tounge, its scribe, its voice.

But this is only the first part of diplomacy.There is also diplomacy as it pertains to the tribes "principle of foreign policy" what is the tribes "Modus Operandi" where another tribe or a group of tribes is concerned? Do we hate them love them or are we indifferent? Are we manipulating them to an end or do we plan to forge long term alliances with them?A tribal leader needs to make this kind of information available to a diplomat so he can do his job.Without this a diplomat is one bullet shy of a loaded gun.His tank is running on empty so t speak.He's floundering in a sea of communication being tossed about by waves of uncertinty stuck on a boat without a paddle left to navigate the currents without a map.

Last but not least i suggest that we keep the tribe abreast of diplomatic information.Open up a diplomatic section in the forum with diferent tribe names and our disposition towards them.This way the tribe knows just who were getting into bed with and who we intend to stab in the back.

Creating and managing an effective tribe is slightly more complicated than this.But ultimately it boils down to these 3 major areas.Get these areas right and the rest should be a walk in the park.Foul it and you might as well disband the tribe.Better that than to become target practice for other tribes.

eIo

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I liked that guide a lot. I will also be upping rep. Kudos for you, it was not only informative but also entertaining :p

DeletedUser4580

Hey guys. thanks for your support. i love hearing from you. the feed back kinda makes me stronger. keep em coming....

eIo

DeletedUser

Ever consider writing a book? You are a great writer, well done.